7. A Breen
8.E Donnelly
9. L Cullen
10. B Mulrone
11. R Jones
12. R lyons
13.K Conor
14. Quigley
15. T Corrigan (if Fit) otherwise Courtney)

abitawit (Fermanagh) - Posts: 274 - 31/03/2017 15:44:22    1973605

Link

Replying To Coa_gael:  "D-day is nearing: Division 2 permutations going into final round

Current League positions
Pos Team P W D L F A Pts
1 Kildare 6 5 0 1 122 89 10
2 Galway 6 4 1 1 121 91 9
3 Meath 6 3 1 2 112 90 7
4 Cork 6 2 2 2 89 91 6
5 Clare 6 2 1 3 89 89 5
6 Fermanagh 6 2 0 4 76 106 4
7 Down 6 2 0 4 81 99 4
8 Derry 6 1 1 4 88 123 3

D- day Fixtures Round 7
Clare v Meath, Cusack Park
Cork v Down, Pairc Ui Rinn
Fermanagh v Derry, Brewster Park
Galway v Kildare, Pearse Stadium

Permutations:
> It's fairly predictable at the top of division two with Kildare already guaranteed promoted.
> Meanwhile, Galway should be promoted provided they duck defeat when they meet at Kildare.
> However, should Galway lose and Meath beat Clare, then Meath will overtake the tribesmen as head-to-heads outdo scoring difference when two teams only are tied.
> In respect of the rest of the bunch they are all potentially at risk of relegation (at least in theory) with Cork being about the safest due to scoring difference.
> Should Clare dodge defeat against Royal county, they'll besecure. If Down win over Cork, they'll stay up unless Fermanagh improve their outcome by 12 points. However, a draw will only be enough if Derry defeat Fermanagh.
> In the case of Derry, they definitely must beat Fermanagh and also pray that Cork do them a favour by beating Down.
> A win should be adequate for Fermanagh. However, if Down were also to win, Fermanagh's head-to-head advantage over Down would become immaterial and their poor scoring difference comes into play. In that situation, only a Clare defeat would save them from the drop."
I was reading the Derry papers today and the Derry manager seems very positive believing that the return of the Slaughtneil contingent will boost his team's ability to achieve a win. Given this prospect, I'm wondering what players McGrath will field to address a young, tall, strong and determined Derry?

Coa_gael (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1165 - 31/03/2017 16:54:09    1973635

Link

Assume Pitch is 100% for tomorrow after Wednesdays postponement and some heavy rain since that?

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 922 - 01/04/2017 20:43:55    1973924

Link

What a sickening 70mins of football...keeper lifted that ball clean of the ground that lead to the final derry score but cant complain about that sayin as ref gave us 5/6 handy frees...

Some strange management calls...for me I was surprised to see keenan start..thats all il say about that!!

Courtney...his game was sumed up midway throu the second half wen fermanagh wer ontp..quigley laid a one two ball of to him that would of put him throu on goal or certain point didnt return tye pass...took the shot himself hit it wide.

abitawit (Fermanagh) - Posts: 274 - 02/04/2017 16:07:44    1974132

Link

Results of Allianz Football League Roinn 2 final round
Galway 0-14 0-13 Kildare
Cork 1-10 0-13 Down
Clare 1-13 3-19 Meath
Fermanagh 0-13 2-8 Derry (Fermanagh should have won but manager got too complacent introducing subs for the sake of it and thereby weaken the hard gotten lead built up. Time fior a change and someone new to take over and take Fermanagh to where they should be in div2 again).)

Allianz Football League Roinn 2
Pos Team P W D L F A Pts
1 Galway 7 5 1 1 135 104 11
2 Kildare 7 5 0 2 135 103 10
3 Meath 7 4 1 2 140 106 9
4 Cork 7 2 3 2 102 104 7
5 Clare 7 2 1 4 105 117 5
6 Down 7 2 1 4 94 112 5
7 Derry 7 2 1 4 102 136 5 (relegated)
8 Fermanagh 7 2 0 5 89 120 4 (rock bottom and relegated)

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 02/04/2017 16:31:07    1974149

Link

Replying To YesterdaysMan:  "Results of Allianz Football League Roinn 2 final round
Galway 0-14 0-13 Kildare
Cork 1-10 0-13 Down
Clare 1-13 3-19 Meath
Fermanagh 0-13 2-8 Derry (Fermanagh should have won but manager got too complacent introducing subs for the sake of it and thereby weaken the hard gotten lead built up. Time fior a change and someone new to take over and take Fermanagh to where they should be in div2 again).)

Allianz Football League Roinn 2
Pos Team P W D L F A Pts
1 Galway 7 5 1 1 135 104 11
2 Kildare 7 5 0 2 135 103 10
3 Meath 7 4 1 2 140 106 9
4 Cork 7 2 3 2 102 104 7
5 Clare 7 2 1 4 105 117 5
6 Down 7 2 1 4 94 112 5
7 Derry 7 2 1 4 102 136 5 (relegated)
8 Fermanagh 7 2 0 5 89 120 4 (rock bottom and relegated)"
what pointless substitutions? The only possible one for me was taking McCusker off.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 02/04/2017 18:06:00    1974245

Link

Can't look to management when players took some bad decisions today . McGrath has seen some jeckyl and Hyde performances from several players this season ... we did plenty to stay up today except kill the game off .. Keenan into goalies hands and several mentioned above and Cullen and Reihill shooting wildly ... all we had to do was NOT concede a goal ... but then we had conceded a dozen up to today ... only have two criticisms of McGrath ... one is what does he see in DK second is why does he continue to use SQ as lone target man .... anyway it's div 3 and I'll await making any management calls until we see what kind of championship run we mount ... will we have the two Corrigan's and McManus back in time ?

AnBuachaillGlas (Fermanagh) - Posts: 287 - 02/04/2017 18:06:16    1974246

Link

Fermanagh - T Treacy; M Jones, C Cullen, K Connor; D McCusker (0-2), B Mulrone (0-2), A Breen; E Donnelly (0-1), L Cullen; P McCusker, R Jones, R McCluskey; E Courtney, S Quigley (0-8, 7f, 1'45), D Keenan. Subs: J McMahon for P McCusker, R Lyons for D Keenan, C P Murphy for A Breen, T McCaffrey for E Courtney, P Reihill for D McCusker.
I think the manager is largely to blame as Fermanagh was relatively safe until he started his caper of unnecessary substitutions as he done in the Galway game too. Therefore, today's chance of victory and remaining in division 2 was completely sabotaged by McGrath's five substitution interventions leaving the team unstable resulting in forfeiting the game to Derry. Pure disaster!!!

abc1234 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 395 - 02/04/2017 21:31:10    1974440

Link

Replying To gotmilk:  "what pointless substitutions? The only possible one for me was taking McCusker off."
what pointless substitutions? The only possible one for me was taking McCusker off.
gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts:4116 - 02/04/2017 18:06:00 19

Are you for real? Aidan Breen not giving Enda lynn (1 of derrys best players) a sniff of leather all game. Inexplicably taken off and replaced by murphy who allows him 10 yards of space to collect a ball and stroke it over the bar with time and space to spare, and at a key point of the game to let them back in it. Keenan (has he even played a club game in the past 2 years??) and james mcmahon on the bench?!. Courtney was poor, although never stopped working, eventually replaced by a half back!! Tommy Mccaffery was suppose to get us the scores to win the game?? The management team has done alot for the county but yesterday was just completely baffling. I felt for the likes of clucker and Barry mulrone in particular who had a savage game.
All said and done though, the 2 relegated teams got what they deserved.

RedRum (Fermanagh) - Posts: 269 - 03/04/2017 09:09:50    1974580

Link

Sadly, Fermanagh has been dropped to division 3 and to a poorer competitor arena which isn't exactly a place to experience quality football.

There are a number of points I will to raise for debate and they are:
1. Let's face it, Fermanagh were playing against the worse and weakest team in the division and should have taken the league points to secure themselves in division 2 as they were in strong enough position to do so being ahead on points difference and 3rd from the table bottom.
2. Derry were terrible in the forward line with loads of opportunities to score but put the ball wide umpteen times, which was lucky for us.
3. Fermanagh's players made lots of mistakes particularly in the first half, many of these unforgivable in such a crucial game.
4. The referee didn't help as some of his decisions were questionable. However, we cannot complain as he give Fermanagh frees that were questionable too. However, both umpires at the Derry posts at the end of the game have questions to answer as Fermanagh weren't awarded a point when it was clear to the umpire the ball when a foot or so right of the upright. How I can be so sure is that my son captured the video footage of the this as well as the subsequent incident of the Derry goalie lifting the ball of the ground outside the square in full view of the other umpire!.
5. I concur with those posters who have apportioned blame on the manager for his catastrophic decisions in respect of a number rapid player substitutions towards in the last quarter of the game at a point when Fermanagh were healthy on the scoreboard but not yet secure in achieving a win. I felt that the only substitution that was merited was the replacement of Keenan who hadn't performed effectively enough. The rest of the substitutions weren't entirely warranted and had the impact of loosing the co-ordination that had been so effective to until that last sector in the game.
6. Is it time for a change of management considering that most believe that we have a reasonable good Fermanagh team that needs better managerial guidance?
7. Finally, I have to commend Barry Mulrone as he was the best layer on the field yesterday and indeed throughout the league campaign he have been so effective. Well done Barry!

BigToeJoe (Fermanagh) - Posts: 134 - 03/04/2017 11:04:53    1974677

Link

Replying To BigToeJoe:  "Sadly, Fermanagh has been dropped to division 3 and to a poorer competitor arena which isn't exactly a place to experience quality football.

1. Let's face it, Fermanagh were playing against the worse and weakest team in the division and should have taken the league points to secure themselves in division 2 as they were in strong enough position to do so being ahead on points difference and 3rd from the table bottom.
2. Derry were terrible in the forward line with loads of opportunities to score but put the ball wide umpteen times, which was lucky for us.
3. Fermanagh's players made lots of mistakes particularly in the first half, many of these unforgivable in such a crucial game.
4. The referee didn't help as some of his decisions were questionable. However, we cannot complain as he give Fermanagh frees that were questionable too. However, both umpires at the Derry posts at the end of the game have questions to answer as Fermanagh weren't awarded a point when it was clear to the umpire the ball when a foot or so right of the upright. How I can be so sure is that my son captured the video footage of the this as well as the subsequent incident of the Derry goalie lifting the ball of the ground outside the square in full view of the other umpire!.
5. I concur with those posters who have apportioned blame on the manager for his catastrophic decisions in respect of a number rapid player substitutions towards in the last quarter of the game at a point when Fermanagh were healthy on the scoreboard but not yet secure in achieving a win. I felt that the only substitution that was merited was the replacement of Keenan who hadn't performed effectively enough. The rest of the substitutions weren't entirely warranted and had the impact of loosing the co-ordination that had been so effective to until that last sector in the game.
6. Is it time for a change of management considering that most believe that we have a reasonable good Fermanagh team that needs better managerial guidance?
7. Finally, I have to commend Barry Mulrone as he was the best layer on the field yesterday and indeed throughout the league campaign he have been so effective. Well done Barry!"
McGrath's changes did not lose that match, the men on the field need to take serious responsibility for decisions made. Its what you decide to do with the ball when you are on it. How many chances did we have in the 45th-60th minute to put ourselves out of sight. Its hardly McGraths changes that made us miss all those chances. three or 4 lads need to have a think about what they do on the ball. Anyway we are were we are. Here's to a good run in the champiionship and the fermanagh public getting behind this team again.
The crowd that was there yesterday was seriously vocal but 2,500 is pathetic for such a crunch match on such a gorgeous day too

see yiz in Clones

AnBuachaillGlas (Fermanagh) - Posts: 287 - 03/04/2017 12:21:36    1974738

Link

Bigtoejoe are you talkin about rehils chance? It looked like the wimd pulled that one just wide of the post....

Agree on the subs thou..for a change i was actually surprised to see p mccusker subbed of first..think minutes before he had fisted over a good point?
Yes keenan was the only obvious change to make..i was surprised t see him still line out for th 2nd half...

Aiden breen was subed because he had a shot blocked...that was an awful call to take him of..he was having a quite game going forward but defensively he was very good...and he can pop up with a score at any time left or right....

Decky mccusker also replaced?....

Also quiqleys miss hit shot at the end looked much easier won for murphy that the derry keeper...young fella seemed to panick abit wen he found himself in that position

abitawit (Fermanagh) - Posts: 274 - 03/04/2017 12:52:04    1974756

Link

Replying To RedRum:  "what pointless substitutions? The only possible one for me was taking McCusker off.
gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts:4116 - 02/04/2017 18:06:00 19

Are you for real? Aidan Breen not giving Enda lynn (1 of derrys best players) a sniff of leather all game. Inexplicably taken off and replaced by murphy who allows him 10 yards of space to collect a ball and stroke it over the bar with time and space to spare, and at a key point of the game to let them back in it. Keenan (has he even played a club game in the past 2 years??) and james mcmahon on the bench?!. Courtney was poor, although never stopped working, eventually replaced by a half back!! Tommy Mccaffery was suppose to get us the scores to win the game?? The management team has done alot for the county but yesterday was just completely baffling. I felt for the likes of clucker and Barry mulrone in particular who had a savage game.
All said and done though, the 2 relegated teams got what they deserved."
Breenos legs were gone, that was quite clear to see. He took a couple of wrong decisions just before he went off too. Keenan wasn't a substitution, I agree it was crazy starting him. Clucker and McMahon are at their best when they are doing the same job, clucker done it superb yesterday. You can't have both starting if you want to see the best of them.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 03/04/2017 12:53:36    1974760

Link

Great performance yesterday. Only issue this league campaign was the lack of goals. Cannot wait for the Monaghan clash.

Hill_hound (Fermanagh) - Posts: 43 - 03/04/2017 13:31:26    1974785

Link

Well thrre were alot of unesessary changes...but obviously its down to the players on the pitch..... barry mulrone and possibly 1 or 2 othershad a good game.

Did McCluskey have a good game?

Theres a few players who are destroying fermanaghs runing game....yesterday we witnessed alot of good counter attacks breakdown when the same players recieve the ball...on a number of occassions particularly in the 2nd half we created the overlap running into derrys half....with so much space out in front if the ball carrier cant run it into a shooting position or doesnt at least have the confidence to play a 20yard forward pass theirs only one way left to go..back...its the same players creating this problem......must say mulrone gave an exhibition on how to play the counter attack running game and more importantly how to make use of the overlap with some excelllent scores.

abitawit (Fermanagh) - Posts: 274 - 03/04/2017 13:33:21    1974787

Link

Replying To BigToeJoe:  "Sadly, Fermanagh has been dropped to division 3 and to a poorer competitor arena which isn't exactly a place to experience quality football.

7. Finally, I have to commend Barry Mulrone as he was the best layer on the field yesterday and indeed throughout the league campaign he have been so effective. Well done Barry!"
Yes Joe I agree with what you have to say as it actually reflects what happen and questions the sense of introducing so many subs in quite succession at a critical period in the game. With league positioning having gone into demise, Fermanagh will struggle against Monaghan in the Ulster championship.

gaalltheway (Fermanagh) - Posts: 769 - 03/04/2017 21:40:14    1975083

Link

Does anyone have the age profile of the current squad? I would like to look at that with a view to a potential squad should we win promotion in the next few years, which will be far from a formality.
Likewise does anyone have heights and weights as I believe we are too small and light to survive with the better teams.
List of best players in the 21-25 bracket (within or outside of current squad) would provide an insight into what the next few years has in store for us.

inallfairness (Fermanagh) - Posts: 25 - 04/04/2017 13:31:30    1975400

Link

Replying To inallfairness:  "Does anyone have the age profile of the current squad? I would like to look at that with a view to a potential squad should we win promotion in the next few years, which will be far from a formality.
Likewise does anyone have heights and weights as I believe we are too small and light to survive with the better teams.
List of best players in the 21-25 bracket (within or outside of current squad) would provide an insight into what the next few years has in store for us."
Just ask Leon Carters to post back sure ... it takes years of strength and conditioning that starts by 16 .... upper body strength is key ... anyway u to play to yer strengths not sit back and wish for what we don't have ... that's my tuppence worth anyway

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 270 - 04/04/2017 22:31:04    1975785

Link

Replying To KeshGFC:  "Just ask Leon Carters to post back sure ... it takes years of strength and conditioning that starts by 16 .... upper body strength is key ... anyway u to play to yer strengths not sit back and wish for what we don't have ... that's my tuppence worth anyway"
I do not know what our strengths are any more, it definitely isn't defence just look at the amount of goals we concede, it surely isn't in our forwards, look at what they managed from play between them. Statistics and relegation back up that argument. Perhaps you could detail our strengths?

inallfairness (Fermanagh) - Posts: 25 - 05/04/2017 08:56:10    1975868

Link

Replying To KeshGFC:  "Just ask Leon Carters to post back sure ... it takes years of strength and conditioning that starts by 16 .... upper body strength is key ... anyway u to play to yer strengths not sit back and wish for what we don't have ... that's my tuppence worth anyway"
I would have said that lower body strength was more critical. Power comes from the legs and in order to break a tackle which is a necessity in the modern game you need strong legs. Squats and power based exercises are critical.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 05/04/2017 17:19:48    1976093

Link