Fermanagh Forum

National Football League Division 2 - 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I suppose you have point in that galway are a seasoned div 2 team, but surely the fermangh team wont be dealing with any inferior complex issues welcoming galway to brewster park espicially considering their record at home. A 50/50 analysis is about rite..no more than a 1 or 2 point win either way.

abitawit (Fermanagh) - Posts: 274 - 06/02/2017 13:21:08    1952699

Link

Replying To WestRules:  "Shocked to read that you are downgrading your own county team citing that Fermanagh is on a parallel with us. This couldn't be further from the truth when you analyse Galway and Cork as top teams in terms of ability and experience compared with Fermanagh who struggled to avoid relegation last season. By your own admission Down is in free fall, therefore Fermanagh's task was easy yesterday so let's see how they will do when they meet a real robust div2 team. I await your respoinse next week to my comment today."
Didn't Galway finish with the grand total of one point more than Fermanagh last year?

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 06/02/2017 13:59:18    1952729

Link

This is too early in the season to make accurate predictions. If it's last years Galway team id put us firm favourites for the two points but the question is how much have Galway developed ... few teams threw away leads last year like Galway ... they caught mayo and that was about it. If Fermanagh win as I believe we can and should we should be thinking promotion... but I don't know enough about Galway and I think they don't know themselves which will make it a nervy afternoon ... I expect 5000 at it anyway

AnBuachaillGlas (Fermanagh) - Posts: 287 - 06/02/2017 19:58:34    1952974

Link

Replying To gotmilk:  "Didn't Galway finish with the grand total of one point more than Fermanagh last year?"
I seen a reply from a Galway poster earlier which has been removed. Although, I don't agree with the said poster, I couldn't see anything wrong with the post. I just hope the Fermanagh team gaffer isn't up to his censoring like last season. Anyway, I see the contents has been put up on social media so it was a pointless censorship.

Now to the forthcoming Fermanagh v Galway game, I believe that Fermanagh have an excellent chance to prove themselves as a county to be reckoned with. I have been impressed by many of the newcomers as ell as the not so new newcomers. With Corrigan in top form, we now need the backline players to be on full guard as Galway forwards are a clever bunch and inspite of their lack lustre performance against Cork they will be out to gain points on their visit to Brewster Park. This season Treacy should be given more opportunities to man the goals as many believe he is a safe pair of hands.

As for predicting a result I believe Fermanagh could edge a 1 or 2 but it will need a top performance by all the team to achieve such a result.

gaalltheway (Fermanagh) - Posts: 769 - 06/02/2017 21:12:05    1953029

Link

Replying To cillnaile.:  "Hey ziggy I like your optimism in respective of Fermanagh but to rule out your our Meath county makes your predictions questionable.
The way I see things:
Fermanagh has beaten Down but no surprise ther which gives us a good start to the league;
Fermanagh probably losing to Galway;
Cork most likely being too strong for Fermanagh;
Kildare hoping for a win or a draw but Fermanagh will likely gain the points in this encounter;
Fermanagh at home should no doubt win against Clare;
Meath has home advantage so a Fermanagh may not happen;
Fermanagh at home should beat Derry.
Give these predictions I see Fermanagh's outcome as more about secure there place in div2 than promotion!"
I see Fermanagh as contenders for promotion for sure. The Galway game could go either way to be perfectly honest.Fermanagh are a good honest hard-working side with a top class manager in his third year.ye are difficult to beat and it takes a good team to beat ye.Cork and Galway are probably the teams that should go up,but rule out the erne man at your peril.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 07/02/2017 08:02:08    1953140

Link

Pete McGrath is doing a great job and Fermanagh are certainly in the mix for promotion. Whoever comes out on top next Sunday will have severely dented the others hopes of going up.

TheWestIsAwake (UK) - Posts: 529 - 07/02/2017 13:54:47    1953281

Link

My god all these foreign county and expats posters from other jurisdictions seem to know better that Fermanagh's indigenous GAA population.

The simple fact is irrespective of the all the talk, Fermanagh has never won a single provincial or national title either in the championship or league. The nearest we got was to an All Ireland semi-final under Mulgrew's watch and an Ulster final under O'Rouke's watch. The last few years has achieved little other than promotion to division 2 that was primarily down to O'Neill's vision with a basically fresh start which Canavan eventually delivered.

Since then under the current mentor, nothing has been achieved either at championship level or in the national league. Therefore, it is rich for all these outsiders to be coming on here to tell us that we are the greatest thing since the creation of sideline water bottles.

Although, I'm a true Fermanagh supporter, unlike many of the fair-weather supporters we see, I have to be realistic and say that although Fermanagh has the makings of a good team, success in title or promotion terms is really aspirational at this stage until a new capable mentor takes the reins. That is based on how things were managed in the last few seasons which has resulted in nothing other than stalemate in the NFL and disappointed in the championship arena.

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 07/02/2017 17:17:42    1953361

Link

Replying To YesterdaysMan:  "My god all these foreign county and expats posters from other jurisdictions seem to know better that Fermanagh's indigenous GAA population.

The simple fact is irrespective of the all the talk, Fermanagh has never won a single provincial or national title either in the championship or league. The nearest we got was to an All Ireland semi-final under Mulgrew's watch and an Ulster final under O'Rouke's watch. The last few years has achieved little other than promotion to division 2 that was primarily down to O'Neill's vision with a basically fresh start which Canavan eventually delivered.

Since then under the current mentor, nothing has been achieved either at championship level or in the national league. Therefore, it is rich for all these outsiders to be coming on here to tell us that we are the greatest thing since the creation of sideline water bottles.

Although, I'm a true Fermanagh supporter, unlike many of the fair-weather supporters we see, I have to be realistic and say that although Fermanagh has the makings of a good team, success in title or promotion terms is really aspirational at this stage until a new capable mentor takes the reins. That is based on how things were managed in the last few seasons which has resulted in nothing other than stalemate in the NFL and disappointed in the championship arena."
Who would you fear in this division? In fairness it has taken Dublin and Mayo to knock ye out of the last 2 championships and you put up a good fight in both.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 07/02/2017 22:34:30    1953469

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  "Who would you fear in this division? In fairness it has taken Dublin and Mayo to knock ye out of the last 2 championships and you put up a good fight in both."
Don't engage with him ziggy. He thinks a manager that refused to select Eoin Donnelly based on his club is an excellent manager.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 08/02/2017 12:11:35    1953587

Link

Great performance against Down. Just shows what the improvement in club football can do for the county. Looks like silverware a real possibility. Think McAleer brothers from the Gaels should be given a chance in the set up though, hear they are going v well in pre-season.

Hill_hound (Fermanagh) - Posts: 43 - 09/02/2017 10:38:00    1953905

Link

Replying To Hill_hound:  "Great performance against Down. Just shows what the improvement in club football can do for the county. Looks like silverware a real possibility. Think McAleer brothers from the Gaels should be given a chance in the set up though, hear they are going v well in pre-season."
Point 1: Well said Hillhound as many Gaels club players have historically helped to prop-up the county team but haven't had the adequate call up of players in recent seasons for some peculiar reason bar O'Callaghan and Reihill.

Point 2: How dare gotmilk misquote me by stating "He (yesterdaysman) thinks a manager that refused to select Eoin Donnelly based on his club is an excellent manager". Please retract!
What I did indicate was something to the effect that Donnelly was of Trillick ancestry thereby would be have natural football talent in his blood rather than acquired by is time with Coa. Donnelly, who comes from an hinterland area of Enniskillen, was initially a talented hurler and in more recent years got more into Gaelic game and is now probably one of the best county players we have seen in recent times .

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 09/02/2017 12:40:01    1953960

Link

Replying To YesterdaysMan:  "Point 1: Well said Hillhound as many Gaels club players have historically helped to prop-up the county team but haven't had the adequate call up of players in recent seasons for some peculiar reason bar O'Callaghan and Reihill.

Point 2: How dare gotmilk misquote me by stating "He (yesterdaysman) thinks a manager that refused to select Eoin Donnelly based on his club is an excellent manager". Please retract!
What I did indicate was something to the effect that Donnelly was of Trillick ancestry thereby would be have natural football talent in his blood rather than acquired by is time with Coa. Donnelly, who comes from an hinterland area of Enniskillen, was initially a talented hurler and in more recent years got more into Gaelic game and is now probably one of the best county players we have seen in recent times ."
Eoin never played hurling, that's a fact.

He wasnt picked because he was from Coa as it was a junior club. Same goes for Belnalleck players. I never put words in your mouth.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 09/02/2017 16:25:29    1954065

Link

Replying To gotmilk:  "Eoin never played hurling, that's a fact.

He wasnt picked because he was from Coa as it was a junior club. Same goes for Belnalleck players. I never put words in your mouth."
Is Donnelly playing on Sunday. I ask because an E Donnelly came on as a sub for Jordanstown in the Sigurson but was taken off again less than ten minutes later. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Fermanagh captain was in UU Jordanstown.

neverright (Roscommon) - Posts: 1648 - 09/02/2017 23:03:30    1954228

Link

Replying To neverright:  "Is Donnelly playing on Sunday. I ask because an E Donnelly came on as a sub for Jordanstown in the Sigurson but was taken off again less than ten minutes later. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Fermanagh captain was in UU Jordanstown."
He got black carded in the sigerson game. Hopefully he's fit for sunday.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 10/02/2017 09:30:32    1954270

Link

Replying To gotmilk:  "He got black carded in the sigerson game. Hopefully he's fit for sunday."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/st-marys-flying-ulster-flag-as-uuj-stumble-yet-again-35435945.html

Yes Donnelly got black card within 4 minutes of coming on,not good sign that failed late fitness test for the game,we need him at 100%,huge player for the team

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 922 - 10/02/2017 11:09:12    1954302

Link

Fermanagh 0-10 Galway 1-13 The result says it all!

Watched a good first half for Fermanagh who chalked-up a reasonable tally of points and there could have been some more but for some poor passing or by taking too long holding possession to eventually lose it to a cleverer Galway backs. The second half started with more urgency from the tribesmen hurrying in a quick goal to the net. With their pedal fully down, the sharper and fitter Galway men stole the show from there on leaving Fermanagh stunned by easily porousing their defence and constantly pressuring therefore demonstrating the tribesmen superiority.

Poor officiating by the referee didn't help matters for either side but it should be a reminder to players that they have to be more disciplined rather than letting down their team by stupid actions. Anyone that get a red card has failed his team manager, his teammates and the team's supporters. Then we have what is is supposed to be the leader of the pack being sent off (blackcarded) twice in the same week for his university as well as county team which is not exactly good role-modelling! Then we have the Co Down man yapping and waving from the sideline at officials which is counter productive to say the least.

The only good thing to come out of today's gathering as a result of the massive demand for refreshments has been the welcome outcome for the Gaels club funds!

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 12/02/2017 17:48:34    1955395

Link

Hardluck lads and some of the calls against ye were tough. Fermanagh can still have a big say in this division, good luck with the rest of campaign.

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1459 - 12/02/2017 19:01:09    1955493

Link

Replying To suckvalleypaddy:  "Hardluck lads and some of the calls against ye were tough. Fermanagh can still have a big say in this division, good luck with the rest of campaign."
suckvalleypaddy,thanks for the post. Yas came out strong second half with Comer improving after his poor first half,Conroy was excellent,yas will have great chance of promotion now.

Yes the referee made some bad calls,which had impact on the game,again inconsistency,Galway player got yellow card for blatant pull back in second half.

Fermanagh had a great first half,especially considering missing best man marker Mickey Jones, plus captain Eoin Donnellys black card(must have been dissent as no other offence visible) Defence superb,patient play,with Quigley delivering some super balls to Courtney,excellent placed ball scores.

However the loss and reliance on Donnelly was clear in second half as Galway pushed on short kickouts and dominated the midfield battle. Fermanagh players second too many times and pushing then. Galways intensity rose and Fermanagh just couldnt get the pace back into the game as it wore on,defence was opened up and lucky not to concede more goals.

Least Ryan Jones should be back for the tough trip to Cork, a game the home side must win if to harbour any hopes of promotion,already looks like this division will go to the wire for both promotion and relegation

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 922 - 12/02/2017 19:14:11    1955504

Link

Replying To macca999:  "suckvalleypaddy,thanks for the post. Yas came out strong second half with Comer improving after his poor first half,Conroy was excellent,yas will have great chance of promotion now.

Yes the referee made some bad calls,which had impact on the game,again inconsistency,Galway player got yellow card for blatant pull back in second half.

Fermanagh had a great first half,especially considering missing best man marker Mickey Jones, plus captain Eoin Donnellys black card(must have been dissent as no other offence visible) Defence superb,patient play,with Quigley delivering some super balls to Courtney,excellent placed ball scores.

However the loss and reliance on Donnelly was clear in second half as Galway pushed on short kickouts and dominated the midfield battle. Fermanagh players second too many times and pushing then. Galways intensity rose and Fermanagh just couldnt get the pace back into the game as it wore on,defence was opened up and lucky not to concede more goals.

Least Ryan Jones should be back for the tough trip to Cork, a game the home side must win if to harbour any hopes of promotion,already looks like this division will go to the wire for both promotion and relegation"
I agree with macca999 that we had a great first half,particularly considering we were missing top marker Michael Jones, plus capt. Donnellys black card looks like dissent as no other offence noticeable. Defence splendid in the 1st half with enduring play upfront too with Roslea man, Quigley supplying some great balls to neighbouring clubman Eddie Courtney,first-rate positioned ball scores. Your right too macca in the thinking that the absence and dependence on carded captain was obvious in the 2nd half as Galway moved on short kickouts and controlled the mid-field fight. Fermanaghs were players late up too often and aggressive then. Galways strength advanced and Fermanagh just couldnt get grasp control back as the game carried on,defence was breached and fortunate not to concede more goals. Looking to the next game with Cork,I agree that it will be useful to have Ryan Jones back, which the home side need to win to have a chance of promotion.It now looks like div2 will be a close call at the top and those caught in the relegation zone.

GalloonBaffoon (Fermanagh) - Posts: 106 - 12/02/2017 21:58:15    1955708

Link

Well that was our worst 35min performance in quite a while..

The glaring reason for such a poor second half was down to not been able to retain possession from our kickout, people will say we missed donnelly which is true but not the reason for th total inability to win any possession from our kickouts.
1.Wingbacks mccusker and rehill wer on the 21 for evrry kickout..but the ball was never goin short with the pressing of galway so those 2 would hav been as effective standing behind the goal.
2.A benift of drawing the wingbacks out of midfield is that it gives space for the midfielders to run into which aiden breen and cullen did everytime..breen inparticular made some good runs but snow needs a mins reflection for everykick when hes underpressure..im not just saying this basef on yesterdays performance but his kickouts are to slow and lack pace.
3.with breen and cullen making the runs into space conroy and fin done a good job of holding there ground in the middle where snow would eventually hang the ball for them..I know they are 2 great feilders but even if they didnt catch th mark they were creating 3 on 1 situations.

And yes the referee had some awful calls..

And most importantly..fermanagh never win playin right to left in the second half!!!!

abitawit (Fermanagh) - Posts: 274 - 13/02/2017 10:57:16    1956004

Link