Fermanagh Forum

Fermanagh County Senior Football Management

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Since this is going to be an ongoing topic I have opened a specific thread on the subject.

BREAKING NEWS...

THE FERMANAGH TEAM & THE COUNTY BOARD ARE TO BLAME - NOT CANAVAN!

I have being a bit of probing this last few days and I can now reveal the TRUTH about the Fermanagh team situation. To avoid a 'macca999 style' waffle, I have summarised the facts as follows:

1. Generally unknown to outsiders, the Fermanagh squad is still divided since the change of management from last season. There is a pro-previous management and a pro-current management still. The latter exploded into the press earlier this year.

2. The current manager feels that certain players are not giving of their best partly because of what is outlined in Fact no.1;

3. The current manager is not being given the maximum support from the Fermanagh County Board e.g. finance and encouragement;

4. Some players reluctantly accepting decisions made by management e.g. team panels

5. One influential County Board suggesting recently that last's year's manager should be introduced to help out the present manager;

6. Finally, the management feel that certain elements of the media in negative reporting had a detrimental impact the many of the players, not least the exit of of the team's top players.

Based upon this latest revelation, I would now have sympathy with the current manager who should be allowed space and time to make his decision about his future role with the county time.

IrvinestownMkII (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1384 - 05/07/2012 10:55:55    1209986

Link

Aye we a getting somewhere as that makes more sense. i remember the Teemore man did go to the papers and he also has not given his best this year compared to this time last year but who are the others? I couln't understand with a far better panel of players how the hell such a mess was made of the championship outings. I'm also disappounted to learn that there are still some in the co board still living in the past looking to bring back in what was a big problem last year. I hope Peter stays and gets the full support of all those involved both the co board and the players.

barneytown (Fermanagh) - Posts: 289 - 05/07/2012 11:50:43    1210035

Link

YES WE ARE GETTING TO THE TRUTH EVENTUALLY. DIDNT LAST YEARS MANAGER PUT UP WITH NEGATIVE PRESS THAT WAS BEEN ORGANISED FROM WITHIN THE CO BOARD(AS REVEALED IN THE BURNS REPORT). WHERE WERE THE ELEVEN PLAYERS AGAINST DOWN OR CAVAN. LAST YEARS MANAGER HAD TO WORK TO BUDGET AND DID. CO BOARD SHOULD HAVE BACKED HIM AND DIDNT. PLAYERS WHO CAME BACK THIS YEAR WERE THERE FOR ONE REASON, PERSONAL GAIN, THE WHOLE COUNTY KNOW WHO THEY ARE AND SO DO THE PLAYERS WHO REMAINED LAST YEAR. HENCE BAD FEELING. O NEILL WAS CLEANING IT UP
AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN LET DO SO.

halfwayline50 (Tyrone) - Posts: 14 - 05/07/2012 12:50:17    1210098

Link

Good post Irvinestown MKII looks like there are alot of things to be sorted out as Canavan stated and most of them involve the county board again! surely this raises the question which was asked last year,why was a new county board not installed after their role in the 2011 disaster??

Lets hope these issues are resolved and Canavan stays and is allowed to go about his job without having to deal with these problems!

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 901 - 05/07/2012 19:22:56    1210518

Link

Who is the co board member or members that suggested o'neill cme into support canavan? Why has o'neill so much influence stiil with the board? This points to a board that isn't pulling together?

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 960 - 05/07/2012 19:30:37    1210524

Link

Not again, surely the Fermanagh county board arent again responsible for more crisis and how can any board member be preparef to undermine Canavan's management my proposing to bring in O'Neill to assist? No wonder Canavan is considering whether to stay given this latest news. It looks as if the county board has learned nothing from the crisis that has gone and are these not largely the same members involved? If true, it's about time to get rid of the these yesterdaysmen and a frsh county board membership.

abc1234 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 390 - 06/07/2012 10:14:15    1210706

Link

I think he shamgael picked up bits of news and put 2 + 2 together and made 5.

I do not know all the facts but as regards the suggestion of bringing in John O'Neill to help was to the best of my knowledge a private conversation between two boardmen in the immediate aftermath of the disastrous Ulster c'ship game with Down. However, eavesdroppers, with nothing better to do, spread this conversation as if it was approved at a board meeting. Whatever your role in life as a gaelic followers one should not be prohibited from expressing their opinion and being a board member shouldn't make any difference.

By the way I'm not a board member but I think those Fermanagh supporters who are unhappy at present shouldn't take it out on board members who give of their time freely and do an excellent job at managing the GAA in our county. In respect of the Canavan situation is that everyone should have the right to criticise any manager (who we pay) or players if needs be and that includes board members as individuals.

gaalltheway (Fermanagh) - Posts: 761 - 06/07/2012 11:12:21    1210765

Link

gaalltheway I can assure that 2+2 = 4 as I have double checked my facts! The focus should now be on our County Board and what they are or not doing to resolve the managerial crisis. Somehow I have little faith in them to handle it well.

IrvinestownMkII (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1384 - 06/07/2012 14:12:22    1210941

Link

great to see barry mulrone coming out and supporting canavan and his backroom staff. we need more players, in fact all the squad, to do the same. the silence from a certain teemore man maybe gives us a clue as all may not be so rosy in the garden. as for the county board, surely they have already failed us again as you would think the bond should be so close between them and the manager rather the the manager having to communicate to the county board through the media. the whole thing stinks and the paying fermanagh supporters are left in the dark as to canavan's future, with not a whimper from the county board.

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1301 - 06/07/2012 15:20:07    1210982

Link

We should remove Canavan from his position and bring back either Dom Corrigan or Charlie Mulgrew. These men got us to a quarter final and a semi final of the All Ireland 2 years in a row. Records speak for themselves

bloodsub (Fermanagh) - Posts: 29 - 06/07/2012 16:15:59    1211041

Link

It's only been one year and there have been improvements from the last season, hopefully Canavan stays another year at least as he himself said he's seen improvements and with more time there should be more improvements. It's madness if he goes at this stage, the Cavan match was disappointing yes but the lads on the field were as much to blame, some awful decisions and play from them cost us the match.

Would it be all roses if we had beat Cavan and then got hammered in the next round? Better standard of football in div 3 next year and we'll build from there.

And anyone backing O'Neill needs to catch themselves on, sure what use is a manager that lacks the backing of the players and fans, we have a small enough pool of players to pick from without a manager causing several of them to leave.

The_Master (Fermanagh) - Posts: 3 - 06/07/2012 16:27:21    1211058

Link

The_Master I see your point but can u honestly tell me there was a game plan on Sunday?? When the goin got tough the players didnt know what to do and the management were even more clueless than them! If this man stays in charge again next year when will be relegated and the laughing stock of the country yet again.

We need a good manager, not a big name

bloodsub (Fermanagh) - Posts: 29 - 06/07/2012 16:37:52    1211073

Link

bloodsub and all other posters hounding canavan here would ye please take a look at yourselves. Do you honestly think Fermanagh should be dining at the top table? The reality is we are not a great side. We have the smallest pick in the country.
As well as that we have not had any success at underage level for quite some time. To me that suggests the talent is no longer coming through.

Now to the championship. A 5 point defeat to a side who finished third in the whole country. Now let me compare this to the game across the water. If Arsenal were drawn against Birmingham in the FA cup would you be putting your money on? Now you have to take into account that Fermanagh also played over 75% of the game with a man less.

The Cavan game we were 6 points up and then we were basically shocked. I have been talking to a player who was playing that day and he can not understand what went wrong.

I don't think Canavan can be held responsible for that. At the end of the day he did get us promoted something his predecessor failed to do. Next year we will be playing teams of a higher calibre than this year which will stand us in good steed.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 06/07/2012 17:37:33    1211121

Link

Birmingham beat arsenal last time they played 1-0 and won the carling cup, so i beleive your metaphor fell on its face there...

Just sayin

Love_Leckers (Fermanagh) - Posts: 342 - 07/07/2012 12:08:54    1211360

Link

06/07/2012 15:20:07
erneboy
County: Fermanagh

1210982 great to see barry mulrone coming out….we need more players to do the same…

Courageous of Barry to do this and we would like see other players feeling likewise to do the same!! Even those who may have taken a year out like the O'Briens should do the same. Chris we r waiting to hear from u?

skinner89 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1 - 07/07/2012 13:33:39    1211425

Link

skinner you're sum man to talking. We know what you meant by your post but everyone knows Barry, Chris and Joe are all sounds guys. Ask the same question to yourself mate. One thing is for sure you'll never make a county team!

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1301 - 07/07/2012 17:54:19    1211575

Link

gotmilk tell me, what success has fermanagh had at underage level? Last year was the first year the minors won a championship game in years and we have not won an ulster title at any level ever!! Maybe an under 21 years ago but it may have been before my time so I dont see your argument there!

Previous managers we have had have given us slight success albeit we have not won a trophy but we have been able to compete with other counties which are of a higher standard. We had practically had the same squad in 08 and beat teams that were playing in a higher division. It seems to me that people in this county are happier having a high profile manager rather than a good one. We beat poor teams in division 4 and everyone got carried away, in the league final he picked a poor team and there looked to be no game plan at all and it looked as if he didnt even try to changes during the game to turn things around and the Cavan match was the same. We should be beating teams like Cavan but it seemed 15 players were just sent out and he didnt give any instructions before or during the game. We need someone else in charge, someone who knows how to manage a team well...not a good former player

bloodsub (Fermanagh) - Posts: 29 - 07/07/2012 18:34:11    1211595

Link

Love leckers i think you will also notice that Birmingham were playing in the premier league the last time they beat Birmingham in the Cup...league cup final 2 years ago. They won 2-1 also. What I was trying to highlight was the fact that when a team from the top tier plays one in a lower tier the higher ranked team is always expected to win.

Blood sub that is what I said. There is no success at youth level so how can you expect these unsuccessful youths to step up yo senior level and win. Because this squad of players was successful the guts of 5 years ago does that mean they should be still winning titles now. If that is the case how come Dooher wasn't winning all stars last year. At the end of the day the talent is not there in Fermanagh. I think it is time some people in this county took a look at themselves and realised we are not going to be winning All Irelands. Changing management year on year is not going to work either. At the end of the day we have a manager in charge who has had some success at club level in Tyrone. Now lets get behind him and realise its a bigger picture. Perhaps give him the 3 years instead of shouting for his head.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 07/07/2012 20:33:36    1211684

Link

Whats Dooher got to do with it? Some of the players are past it,yes. But you are defending a manager who continues to play these players that you and everyone else knows are finished and probably arent putting in as much effort as they used to while a younger and maybe less talented player will try 10 times harder?

But can you defend Peter Canavan when he plays Marty McGrath? That man hasnt played regularly for his club in about 3 years, didnt play the whole league but then this manager plays him in the championship!? The other players wont be happy at this, therefore band management

bloodsub (Fermanagh) - Posts: 29 - 07/07/2012 21:43:06    1211755

Link

bloodsub you obviously do not play senior div one footie or read the papers as Marty Mcgrath has played in most, if not all club league games this year. Your opinion is in a minority and you know nothing about the ins and outs of county footie.
skinner89 you are at it again, leave Chris alone and sort out your own life! playing for the weemen's club isn't exactly county standard as shown by that clubmate of yours that was brought on as 1st sub on Sunday!

SkeaLad (Fermanagh) - Posts: 499 - 07/07/2012 22:00:22    1211780

Link