Down Forum

Down U20 Hurlers

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I just left newry in complete embarrassment. There is no excuse for that. County board need to take a long hard look at themselves for allowing this to happen. How was this team allowed to take to the field without training? Why were the management allowed to simply not prepare the team. There is no excuse. We are actively preparing our players to fail now. Shame on everyone involved!!

In_da_ditch (UK) - Posts: 165 - 27/03/2019 20:49:59    2175899

Link

Replying To In_da_ditch:  "I just left newry in complete embarrassment. There is no excuse for that. County board need to take a long hard look at themselves for allowing this to happen. How was this team allowed to take to the field without training? Why were the management allowed to simply not prepare the team. There is no excuse. We are actively preparing our players to fail now. Shame on everyone involved!!"
What are you talking about?

Jofus (Down) - Posts: 244 - 27/03/2019 21:01:19    2175903

Link

Replying To In_da_ditch:  "I just left newry in complete embarrassment. There is no excuse for that. County board need to take a long hard look at themselves for allowing this to happen. How was this team allowed to take to the field without training? Why were the management allowed to simply not prepare the team. There is no excuse. We are actively preparing our players to fail now. Shame on everyone involved!!"
Following it on twitter... feel sorry for the boys who have given up there time tonight and took a serious tanking. I bet that Antrim have been training for a while a few players there played in the national league for their seniors.

RedDog68 (Down) - Posts: 275 - 27/03/2019 21:07:08    2175904

Link

Replying To RedDog68:  "Following it on twitter... feel sorry for the boys who have given up there time tonight and took a serious tanking. I bet that Antrim have been training for a while a few players there played in the national league for their seniors."
No point being down on the lads involved tonight the whole system is rotten. No long term strategy or planning everything seems ad hoc. Football Dec squads get their plan including S&Cs from now to June while for example one hurling squad get told on Facebook at 6 on a Friday that training is on the following day. Until things change we can expect more of the same unfortunately. No direction or oversight. The definition of stupidity.....

SouthCounty (Down) - Posts: 37 - 28/03/2019 00:12:06    2175936

Link

Totally agree in da ditch,county board clearly dont care anymore,not only is senior management destroying it at senior level but they are being allowed to do it at under age,when they goin to wake up and get some1 in who cares about down hurling,not a man who is in it for his own gain

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 334 - 28/03/2019 05:55:21    2175941

Link

This was a game that Down didn't want to win (I don't mean the individual players) as a win would've put them in the Leinster Championship proper were they wouldn't be competitive were as the loss puts them in an All-Ireland B Championship this summer and like it or not this is the County's level atm.

It's always a bit demoralising when you line up with the bare 15 players and you look over and see your opponent warming up with 20 odd players as you know regardless to form or injury you'll have to grind it out for the hour whilst your opponent can freshen things up as and when needed.

It was far from a 1st pick 15 for Down but the lads who played fairly much gave what they had in a game they seemed destined to lose from the start. This group will be seen in a better light in the All-Ireland B championship in the summer

downredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 556 - 28/03/2019 08:53:43    2175952

Link

Replying To downredhand:  "This was a game that Down didn't want to win (I don't mean the individual players) as a win would've put them in the Leinster Championship proper were they wouldn't be competitive were as the loss puts them in an All-Ireland B Championship this summer and like it or not this is the County's level atm.

It's always a bit demoralising when you line up with the bare 15 players and you look over and see your opponent warming up with 20 odd players as you know regardless to form or injury you'll have to grind it out for the hour whilst your opponent can freshen things up as and when needed.

It was far from a 1st pick 15 for Down but the lads who played fairly much gave what they had in a game they seemed destined to lose from the start. This group will be seen in a better light in the All-Ireland B championship in the summer"
Why wasn't it the "first pick" from Down?

Were lads available but weren't asked?

I get the fact that we will struggle to compete in Leinster A, then why bother with this farce and let Antrim go straight to A where they'll resource their team properly whist we kid ourselves that we do.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2458 - 28/03/2019 12:32:06    2175998

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "Why wasn't it the "first pick" from Down?

Were lads available but weren't asked?

I get the fact that we will struggle to compete in Leinster A, then why bother with this farce and let Antrim go straight to A where they'll resource their team properly whist we kid ourselves that we do."
Based on the panel of 30 odd issued to clubs last week the 15 who played last night were wouldn't have been considered by most who would know the age group as 1st pick.

I assume those missing were the usual mix of injuries, unavailable for good reason and possibly a few who couldn't be a***ed. There were definitely a couple of lads playing for Red High yesterday evening that were named on the panel

downredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 556 - 28/03/2019 12:50:54    2176003

Link

Replying To downredhand:  "This was a game that Down didn't want to win (I don't mean the individual players) as a win would've put them in the Leinster Championship proper were they wouldn't be competitive were as the loss puts them in an All-Ireland B Championship this summer and like it or not this is the County's level atm.

It was far from a 1st pick 15 for Down but the lads who played fairly much gave what they had in a game they seemed destined to lose from the start. This group will be seen in a better light in the All-Ireland B championship in the summer"
I think this message is as bad as what was allowed to happen last night. It should be a privilege & an honour to play for the county, I know it certainly used to be. If as you suggest the management decided to lose the game then I really fear for the years ahead. County careers are not long enough to start deciding to lose games. Preparation for U21B you say. How will we entice lads to come in and do it right when we already have started the process by not training, not getting a panel out and getting hammered. It is hardly screaming come be a part of this.

In_da_ditch (UK) - Posts: 165 - 28/03/2019 13:41:51    2176018

Link

Replying To In_da_ditch:  "I think this message is as bad as what was allowed to happen last night. It should be a privilege & an honour to play for the county, I know it certainly used to be. If as you suggest the management decided to lose the game then I really fear for the years ahead. County careers are not long enough to start deciding to lose games. Preparation for U21B you say. How will we entice lads to come in and do it right when we already have started the process by not training, not getting a panel out and getting hammered. It is hardly screaming come be a part of this."
You may need to wind your neck in a wee bit here cub, I didn't say it shouldn't be considered to be either a privilege or an honour to play for your county and I know that last night 1 player drove from Cork and back to play in that game as he sees it as both a privilege and an honour.

I was merely pointing out that like it or not playing in a Leinster A Championship is not a level that Down Hurling is competitive at present (in any age group) and the game perversely or otherwise seemed to be something that the players had to go through in order to get on with the B grade competition in the summer which I feel they will be competitive in.

So by all means vent your anger as to how hurling is being run in your county onto those who are responsible for making those decisions but don't be diverting that anger onto me just because I was merely stating the obvious

downredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 556 - 28/03/2019 15:16:08    2176037

Link

Replying To downredhand:  "You may need to wind your neck in a wee bit here cub, I didn't say it shouldn't be considered to be either a privilege or an honour to play for your county and I know that last night 1 player drove from Cork and back to play in that game as he sees it as both a privilege and an honour.

I was merely pointing out that like it or not playing in a Leinster A Championship is not a level that Down Hurling is competitive at present (in any age group) and the game perversely or otherwise seemed to be something that the players had to go through in order to get on with the B grade competition in the summer which I feel they will be competitive in.

So by all means vent your anger as to how hurling is being run in your county onto those who are responsible for making those decisions but don't be diverting that anger onto me just because I was merely stating the obvious"
You may decide in Tyrone which games you would like to win and which you wouldn't. But here we would like to win any game we play in irrespective of what comes next. I think now may be a great time to point out that we very rarely beat Antrim anyway so why it was decided to not train or not prepare & assume that sends out a good message to the young lads is again a concept I cannot understand. One day soon I hope we are in the situation like our illustrious red hand neighbours that we can decide what games we shall win or lose. If senior management found this an inconvenience then it should have been given to someone that wanted to do it right. 22 points I can live with! Not trying is what I find disgusting on the managements begalf. Players don't deserve that.

In_da_ditch (UK) - Posts: 165 - 28/03/2019 18:03:14    2176066

Link

Worth also remembering the Leinster draw! Carlow & then westmesth or Offaly. They are not earth shattering games and indeed games I think our lads could compete with. We beat Carlow 5 years ago at U16 in Newry I remember so why we are trying to avoid these games is just beyond me.

In_da_ditch (UK) - Posts: 165 - 28/03/2019 18:18:40    2176071

Link

County board need to realise that what happend in nerwy last night is totally wrong,surley this cant go on or we will be left out in the wilderness,i keep hearin about rebuilding,last night wasnt a great advert for the rebuild was it

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 334 - 28/03/2019 21:56:57    2176097

Link

Replying To In_da_ditch:  "You may decide in Tyrone which games you would like to win and which you wouldn't. But here we would like to win any game we play in irrespective of what comes next. I think now may be a great time to point out that we very rarely beat Antrim anyway so why it was decided to not train or not prepare & assume that sends out a good message to the young lads is again a concept I cannot understand. One day soon I hope we are in the situation like our illustrious red hand neighbours that we can decide what games we shall win or lose. If senior management found this an inconvenience then it should have been given to someone that wanted to do it right. 22 points I can live with! Not trying is what I find disgusting on the managements begalf. Players don't deserve that."
He's not in Tyrone, but in North Down.

Fair play to your lad for travelling up from Cork to partake, but unless he's transferred to a Cork club, how could he be prepared for this?

Begs the question who asked him to play and how much they know about who is actively hurling or is just going by who played on what development teams two, maybe three years ago and that is entirely wrong.

Development squads from two/three years ago should not be used as the barometer of who plays U20 or senior hurling in 2019.
Club senior hurling is that barometer, nothing more, nothing less.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2458 - 29/03/2019 09:23:19    2176139

Link

The B All-Ireland campaign started for these lads this week with a not unexpected comprehensive 1st rnd win over Donegal in Ballycran. The squad was looking much stronger than that cobbled together for the Antrim match a few months ago but in truth Donegal brought little to the party.

Next up is a quarter final v Sligo in Newry on Saturday with the victors due to play the winners of Tyrone v Derry the following weekend.

The big animals (at this grade) seem to be in the other side of the draw with Meath v Kildare and Wicklow v Kerry the other quarters being played this Saturday.

downredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 556 - 11/07/2019 12:16:53    2209432

Link

Next up for these lads is a semi final away (bizarrely for a national championship) to Derry who even more bizarrely reach a national semi-final without so much as a single swing of a stick.

Down found Sligo tougher opposition than their 1st round opponents Donegal largely due to a fairly casual approach in their build-up play during the 1st half. However a blistering opening 10 minutes in the 2nd half seen Down put the game beyond doubt, then they rightfully emptied the bench.

Derry will be a different level of competition but hopefully the 2 games will stand to Down and these lads can take another step forward, I think they will.

Owenbeg at 5 on Saturday it seems

downredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 556 - 16/07/2019 15:21:21    2211911

Link

Good luck to all involved tday against derry

crannumber2 (Down) - Posts: 334 - 20/07/2019 14:07:21    2213521

Link

Replying To crannumber2:  "Good luck to all involved tday against derry"
9 points down and winning by 1, good 2nd half well done. Who do they play in the final? Langford? Louth?

cahill (None) - Posts: 2566 - 21/07/2019 20:51:30    2214267

Link

Replying To cahill:  "9 points down and winning by 1, good 2nd half well done. Who do they play in the final? Langford? Louth?"
They play Kerry in the final, as Kerry bate Meath in the other semi.
Down battled really well in the 2nd half but I'd say Derry are still trying to work out how they lost a game they dominated for 50mins.

downredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 556 - 21/07/2019 22:54:15    2214393

Link

Replying To downredhand:  "They play Kerry in the final, as Kerry bate Meath in the other semi.
Down battled really well in the 2nd half but I'd say Derry are still trying to work out how they lost a game they dominated for 50mins."
Let them stew on it.

We've been on the receiving end of defeats like these for too long.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2458 - 22/07/2019 11:21:58    2214588

Link