Down Forum

Down Footballers 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

It was worse than it sounded... trust me. We persistently kicked the ball out to the same area when it was plain to see that this strategy was not working. Louth were able to dominate because of this. When we changed this stategy we got back into it but it was to late. Div 3 next year it is and in truth that is our level. No real progress shown yet under this management. We all know that our underage has been poor .

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 298 - 24/03/2019 21:48:59    2174996

Link

It was worse than it sounded... trust me. We persistently kicked the ball out to the same area when it was plain to see that this strategy was not working. Louth were able to dominate because of this. When we changed this stategy we got back into it but it was to late. Div 3 next year it is and in truth that is our level. No real progress shown yet under this management. We all know that our underage has been poor .

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 298 - 24/03/2019 21:57:17    2175006

Link

Heard they were cleaned out in midfield again. Has been a long time since we produced a dominant... or even good midfielder.

AnDunCeanada (Down) - Posts: 90 - 25/03/2019 19:44:54    2175393

Link

Appalling somebody said of the Louth game, spot on, as bad as some of the low points of Eamonn Burns reign, maybe worse. Paddy, find a midfielder who catch the ball, a pair would be even better. You don't have to do anything else with the mark, just catch the ball and give it to somebody who can play. Until we can win two thirds, at least of our own kick outs we are stuffed. We are so poor we can't even get a decent share of breaking ball. Without a decent share of possession everything else is a waste of time. Louth had two dominant midfielders but on such a windy day still went short. What did Down do, we kicked ball after ball into their two big men, then when the goalkeeper went short he kicked straight into the hands of a Louth player. I could fill pages about how bad Down were, but I'll just give two small examples.
Down won the ball back with some good work, Mooney picks the ball up in midfield, fifteen meters ahead of him is Donal O'Hare out in front of his man ready to take a ball into his chest or either side of him, then he is in on goal. What does he get? He gets a ball dinked up in the air, with a gale force wind behind it, its now made it easier for the defender to get a hand over O'Hares shoulder and win the ball. Then we have Kevin McKernan making a good run into the Louth defence, all it needs is a simple tap over from about twenty meters, what do we get,? Kevin with a gale force wind at his back decides to be clever and hit the ball with the outside of his foot, the ball slides right of the post and wide. When your experienced players do this, what chance do the young lads have watching this? Tally said this was a three or four year project, you got that right Paddy. Sheer arrogance to think having won five in a row we could turn up and Louth would roll over. Louth were up for this game and played a team game. They were physically stronger and quicker than Down. They had a game plan for the windy conditions and worked really hard. Their forwards just breezed past Down players like men against boys. Well played Louth, especially after a tough campaign last year, I hope you get promoted.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 25/03/2019 21:06:44    2175414

Link

Surely there is a decent midfielder in the County...how many Gaelic Football teams in the County? It's embarrassing for a County this size and with such proud tradition

grandagrokepoke (Down) - Posts: 347 - 26/03/2019 09:17:00    2175473

Link

Why did we persist with the kick out strategy.
It clearly wasn't working.
Played so poorly yet almost got the point,that would have got us promoted
Going too be very difficult next year,Cork ,Tipp,Derry will be hard too get past.

dunmaguire (Down) - Posts: 74 - 26/03/2019 17:44:31    2175611

Link

I'd question if Down have a kick out strategy, all I saw was a goalkeeper kicking to the right hand side of the half way line to a cluster of players which included two tall Louth midfielders who picked off almost all balls cleanly. Louth continually went short with a ball to their left back, they played against a strong breeze in the first half so that was sensible. With McKernan as a sweeper they always had a man over to break our press, which to me was too far up the pitch. They broke our press in numbers on several occasions and a better team would have scored a couple of goals before halftime. I hope it was just a really bad day at the office, a one off, we did put together five wins in a row. We eventually went short when it was too late, but the worrying thing was the crowd could see the long kickouts weren't working, but none of the players or management went to plan B, maybe there was no plan B. Lack of a midfield cost us an All Ireland in 2010, and has dogged us ever since.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 26/03/2019 21:57:47    2175695

Link

I guess at times like these one has to look at the positives as well - namely the blooding of a whole host of new players who show plenty of potential. Still getting used to each other after all but undoubtedly could do with some added veteran leadership and presence by the looks of things.

AnDunCeanada (Down) - Posts: 90 - 27/03/2019 11:10:11    2175770

Link

Replying To Newmitch:  "I'd question if Down have a kick out strategy, all I saw was a goalkeeper kicking to the right hand side of the half way line to a cluster of players which included two tall Louth midfielders who picked off almost all balls cleanly. Louth continually went short with a ball to their left back, they played against a strong breeze in the first half so that was sensible. With McKernan as a sweeper they always had a man over to break our press, which to me was too far up the pitch. They broke our press in numbers on several occasions and a better team would have scored a couple of goals before halftime. I hope it was just a really bad day at the office, a one off, we did put together five wins in a row. We eventually went short when it was too late, but the worrying thing was the crowd could see the long kickouts weren't working, but none of the players or management went to plan B, maybe there was no plan B. Lack of a midfield cost us an All Ireland in 2010, and has dogged us ever since."
You could be correct in that assumption.
But surely Paddy would have enough knowledge and experience too see it wasn't working.
Agree Down have had enormous problems at Centre MF for years.
Always think if Ambrose Rodgers had been fit ,we might have had 6 All Ireland's.

dunmaguire (Down) - Posts: 74 - 27/03/2019 11:28:26    2175774

Link

Replying To dunmaguire:  "You could be correct in that assumption.
But surely Paddy would have enough knowledge and experience too see it wasn't working.
Agree Down have had enormous problems at Centre MF for years.
Always think if Ambrose Rodgers had been fit ,we might have had 6 All Ireland's."
I didn't realise that Cathal Murray was training the Louth team. Is it any wonder that Louth had a better plan as he knew the Down players inside out after training them for two years. The Down kickouts were terrible but why didn't they try something else? At times no one up front, with everyone behind the ball. That's not Down football and if we want to beat Armagh then some things have to change.

Jofus (Down) - Posts: 244 - 27/03/2019 19:22:57    2175885

Link

I'd agree, the form Ambrose was in could have swung that game for us. Leaving aside the Louth game, I did see some good things this year, it wasn't all doom and gloom. Tallys Down team moved the ball quicker than Eamonn Burn's team. There was some really slick ball handling at pace that was exciting to watch, and I actually saw the odd ball kicked into the forwards. There is promise in the younger lads, and even though they have had poor halves and barren patches in games I haven't seen them quit. I thought some of them were wilting against Louth but they fought back in the last fifteen minutes and penned Louth in, they just let themselves down with their shooting, I couldn't fault their work rate or spirit and that's something to be proud of.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 27/03/2019 19:37:10    2175889

Link

Replying To Newmitch:  "I'd agree, the form Ambrose was in could have swung that game for us. Leaving aside the Louth game, I did see some good things this year, it wasn't all doom and gloom. Tallys Down team moved the ball quicker than Eamonn Burn's team. There was some really slick ball handling at pace that was exciting to watch, and I actually saw the odd ball kicked into the forwards. There is promise in the younger lads, and even though they have had poor halves and barren patches in games I haven't seen them quit. I thought some of them were wilting against Louth but they fought back in the last fifteen minutes and penned Louth in, they just let themselves down with their shooting, I couldn't fault their work rate or spirit and that's something to be proud of."
Apart from the warm up I saw little kicking. Our football has always been built around kicking. The problem now is that when you have 15 men behind the ball, who do you kick to? Even 1 man 80 yards up the field, how do you find him? Having such football brains over the team I was really looking forward to something different but I didn't expect what we are getting. It's hard to watch and I hope it gets better and soon.

Jofus (Down) - Posts: 244 - 27/03/2019 20:05:32    2175892

Link

Replying To Jofus:  "Apart from the warm up I saw little kicking. Our football has always been built around kicking. The problem now is that when you have 15 men behind the ball, who do you kick to? Even 1 man 80 yards up the field, how do you find him? Having such football brains over the team I was really looking forward to something different but I didn't expect what we are getting. It's hard to watch and I hope it gets better and soon."
I was referring to some of the other home games, not the Louth game, the little ball that was kicked was aimless and easily picked off by Louth. It's early days, and as it can take a young player two to three years to get to grips with Championship football this is going to be a long, and at times painful journey.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 27/03/2019 23:58:48    2175934

Link

Big Ulster, derby coming up against Armagh. Armagh are favourites due to their league position and performances. There is an intense rivalry between the counties, the game is in our home pitch so I expect our boys to show up here and deliver a performance and if they do they are capable of winning this.

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 298 - 11/05/2019 09:19:15    2183057

Link

On the few occasions when Down attacked purposefully and particularly when the high ball was sent into the full forwards they looked very impressive and more that capable of beating a far from impressive Armagh team. Unfortunately however, once again, and despite the potency of attack they played far too conservatively and negatively. The fear of losing possession and lack of confidence to take a calculated risk now appears pervasive and ingrained. Such a pity!

FiorDunach (Down) - Posts: 53 - 19/05/2019 20:01:51    2185600

Link

I wouldn't be negative about downs display yesterday. If mooney and bubba had stayed on pitch we would be in Ulster semi final. The players seem to have bought into tallys methods which is good. The atmosphere yesterday was brilliant which we have not experienced for sometime. We are capable of getting a run in qualifiers.

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 298 - 20/05/2019 08:20:15    2185735

Link

Totally agree but think bubba needs to be told not to come past the 20m line , this is always going to happen a keeper getting caught out, especially when they play out field in club football, it gives them the confidence to keep going , Tyrone keeper does the same , just unfortunate it happened to us yesterday, but a real good performance hopefully a good run in qualifiers

BannGael (Down) - Posts: 19 - 20/05/2019 12:30:40    2185878

Link

Replying To BannGael:  "Totally agree but think bubba needs to be told not to come past the 20m line , this is always going to happen a keeper getting caught out, especially when they play out field in club football, it gives them the confidence to keep going , Tyrone keeper does the same , just unfortunate it happened to us yesterday, but a real good performance hopefully a good run in qualifiers"
Barring the 2010 run to the AI final, have Down ever really produced much via the backdoor?

You get the impression the players aren't overly bothered by the backdoor.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2458 - 20/05/2019 13:26:37    2185900

Link

So it is tipperary in the qualifiers in Newry. It is a tough match to look forward to. Tipp are high flyers in div 2 so will be favourites but our boys should be able to build on the many positives from the armagh match. We can win this if approach is right.

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 298 - 27/05/2019 21:06:50    2188313

Link

Replying To downtothecore:  "So it is tipperary in the qualifiers in Newry. It is a tough match to look forward to. Tipp are high flyers in div 2 so will be favourites but our boys should be able to build on the many positives from the armagh match. We can win this if approach is right."
We won't

Galgetgael (Down) - Posts: 215 - 31/05/2019 21:36:00    2189510

Link