Down Forum

Down Footballers 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

On a different note ,It was great to see Kevin McKernan ,Donal Ohare, and Jerome Johnson waiting on after the match ,to sign autographs ,get photos and give hi fives to all the children who came onto the pitch, Those men could have run on into the changing room for the hot shower, but they diddent, they stood out for as long as the children were there , Well done lads ,Great to see

germac (Down) - Posts: 271 - 03/03/2019 14:40:29    2169697

Link

Tough game coming up at weekend. Carlow will fancy their chances. The game has a little bit of extra spice because of poacher. I go for a draw.

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 298 - 14/03/2019 13:29:07    2172218

Link

Replying To downtothecore:  "Tough game coming up at weekend. Carlow will fancy their chances. The game has a little bit of extra spice because of poacher. I go for a draw."
We''d take that now. We need a point to guarantee safety.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1235 - 14/03/2019 20:22:47    2172272

Link

Good win over carlow by all accounts the better team. Are we now promoted?

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 298 - 17/03/2019 15:00:33    2173053

Link

Replying To downtothecore:  "Good win over carlow by all accounts the better team. Are we now promoted?"
If you are promoted get down on your hands and knees and thank the cheating bastard of a ref that gifted you the win yesterday.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1235 - 17/03/2019 20:45:41    2173214

Link

Poor old referee always gets the blame....

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 298 - 17/03/2019 22:15:41    2173254

Link

OnionBreath, the video on this site of the final decision in the game shows one of the clearest dives it would be possible to imagine, so the referee was definitely correct to penalise the Carlow player. The match stats indicate that nine of Carlow's 12 scores came from frees, which is a high percentage and suggests that plenty of calls did go your way, while Down got eight points from frees out of a total of 15 scores. The ref also handed Down eight yellows and two reds as opposed to four yellows and one red against Carlow in what was by all acounts a not particularly physical contest, so both sides may have had cause for complaint when it was all over.

MourneRising (Down) - Posts: 238 - 18/03/2019 20:07:17    2173496

Link

Replying To MourneRising:  "OnionBreath, the video on this site of the final decision in the game shows one of the clearest dives it would be possible to imagine, so the referee was definitely correct to penalise the Carlow player. The match stats indicate that nine of Carlow's 12 scores came from frees, which is a high percentage and suggests that plenty of calls did go your way, while Down got eight points from frees out of a total of 15 scores. The ref also handed Down eight yellows and two reds as opposed to four yellows and one red against Carlow in what was by all acounts a not particularly physical contest, so both sides may have had cause for complaint when it was all over."
You weren't at the match. That's obvious. No way was the last incident a Carlow free, I'm not saying it was. Rely on your stats all you like but if you had been at the match you wouldn't dare to suggest Carlow got anything remotely close to an even break from that ref.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1235 - 18/03/2019 21:47:12    2173528

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "You weren't at the match. That's obvious. No way was the last incident a Carlow free, I'm not saying it was. Rely on your stats all you like but if you had been at the match you wouldn't dare to suggest Carlow got anything remotely close to an even break from that ref."
OB, when a post says that a game was `by all accounts' not particularly physical, that is meant to tell you that I was not there. Down supporters who did attend say that we missed a series of goal chances and got pegged back by a referee who in percentage terms gave considerably more scorable frees to the home side and was statistically twice as likely to show cards to Down players. The video clip we have all seen demonstrated that the referee was correct with his last decision and there was no justification for the reaction of some Carlow mentors and supporters. However, the truth is that D3 is a very tight league and there is not much to chose between the two ends of the table. Good luck on Sunday.

MourneRising (Down) - Posts: 238 - 18/03/2019 23:31:17    2173561

Link

Replying To MourneRising:  "OB, when a post says that a game was `by all accounts' not particularly physical, that is meant to tell you that I was not there. Down supporters who did attend say that we missed a series of goal chances and got pegged back by a referee who in percentage terms gave considerably more scorable frees to the home side and was statistically twice as likely to show cards to Down players. The video clip we have all seen demonstrated that the referee was correct with his last decision and there was no justification for the reaction of some Carlow mentors and supporters. However, the truth is that D3 is a very tight league and there is not much to chose between the two ends of the table. Good luck on Sunday."
I know the ref was correct in his last decision. I said that above. And I thought it at the time too. I also acknowledge Down should have had the points in the bag long before the end due particularly due to our inept first 25 mins. The reason for the trouble at the end was not the last incident at all but more so the softest of soft frees to win the game for Down that came way beyond the four minutes of injury time. Any delay in that four minutes was caused by a down player nearly beheading a Carlow man on the run. He got a second yellow but that was a disgusting cop out by the ref. as it had to be a straight red and a lengthy suspension to follow. Finally, at least the trouble at the end stayed on the pitch and didn't descend into players rushing off up on to the terraces to sort out spectators ..... I've seen footage of that somewhere!

Good luck for the rest of year anyway. Ye'r the best team in 3 and deserve promotion. We now face a nightmare last game to save ourselves from another 30 years in 4 against our bogey team and noisy neighbours.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1235 - 19/03/2019 11:51:44    2173651

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "I know the ref was correct in his last decision. I said that above. And I thought it at the time too. I also acknowledge Down should have had the points in the bag long before the end due particularly due to our inept first 25 mins. The reason for the trouble at the end was not the last incident at all but more so the softest of soft frees to win the game for Down that came way beyond the four minutes of injury time. Any delay in that four minutes was caused by a down player nearly beheading a Carlow man on the run. He got a second yellow but that was a disgusting cop out by the ref. as it had to be a straight red and a lengthy suspension to follow. Finally, at least the trouble at the end stayed on the pitch and didn't descend into players rushing off up on to the terraces to sort out spectators ..... I've seen footage of that somewhere!

Good luck for the rest of year anyway. Ye'r the best team in 3 and deserve promotion. We now face a nightmare last game to save ourselves from another 30 years in 4 against our bogey team and noisy neighbours."
After your display of negative football against Louth this year div 4 is where you should be for another 30 years absolute shambles of a team and I agree with you on the timewasting because ye have perfected the art of it your physio covered more ground than some of your players

N08CUTN (Mayo) - Posts: 188 - 21/03/2019 13:12:17    2174179

Link

I came on here to see what Down posters were thinking ahead of our clash on Sunday and instead i see a Carlow fan raging about a referee. We lost to Carlow by a point a few weeks ago and they had 23 frees in their favour to Louth's 12. It really is rich to see the anger when their wasn't a peep a few weeks ago.

PK57 (Louth) - Posts: 1565 - 22/03/2019 11:48:30    2174338

Link

Down v louth will be hard fought local derby but down should come out on top on this one.

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 298 - 22/03/2019 20:35:15    2174439

Link

It looks almost certain div 3 next year. The Truth be told we are not fit for div 2. The performance today was very poor and a s hite louth team took advantage of it. Div 3 next year will include Derry, cork , tipperary so could be a while before we see div 2....

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 298 - 24/03/2019 16:43:07    2174765

Link

Replying To downtothecore:  "It looks almost certain div 3 next year. The Truth be told we are not fit for div 2. The performance today was very poor and a s hite louth team took advantage of it. Div 3 next year will include Derry, cork , tipperary so could be a while before we see div 2...."
Sour grapes to say Louth are s hite. Wee were taken for granted by Down and the media. Down only had to turn up and go through the motions.

ged (Louth) - Posts: 291 - 24/03/2019 18:40:20    2174850

Link

Louth were actually impressive today until they tired in the closing stages but the result goes down as an enormous missed opportunity. Even after going for over 40 minutes without a score, we had more than enough chances late on to least manage a draw. There is no doubt that D3 is going to be a significantly tougher contest next year so it was all the more frustrating that we took such a long time to realise the opportunity we had this afternoon

MourneRising (Down) - Posts: 238 - 24/03/2019 18:42:48    2174851

Link

S hite and all as Louth are downtothecore we still beat you in your back yard and this with you getting a scrabby goal. Mind your manners, Down are hardly world beaters.

joej (Louth) - Posts: 1544 - 24/03/2019 18:51:06    2174860

Link

Joej I agree down are s hite also. Good luck next week.

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 298 - 24/03/2019 19:27:27    2174889

Link

Was it as bad as it sounded?

AnDunCeanada (Down) - Posts: 90 - 24/03/2019 20:50:02    2174956

Link

Down were appalling in the first half when we had the advantage of a strong wind but still managed to go in behind at the break. We got three decent early points and then started shooting from crazy angles and distances while Louth steadily picked off scores on the break. They also missed some decent chances and Burns made a brilliant save so it could have been even worse. Tally made a number of changes which helped marginally but we still went over 40 minutes without a score. While we were well on top in the last quarter, our passing and shot selection was poor. Devlin had a late free from about the 45m line which was against the breeze but suited a left sided kicker and was probably within his range. He went backwards instead and we produced a series of slow passes which suited Louth just fine before we ran out of time. It was a hugely frustrating day.

MourneRising (Down) - Posts: 238 - 24/03/2019 21:39:27    2174991

Link