Down Forum

2018 Down Minor Hurling League

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Bredagh, Ballycran, Michael Cusacks, O'Rahillys, Craobh Rua, Ballygalget, Kilclief, Portaferry

Wednesday 28th Mar 2018
Bredagh V Ballycran
Portaferry V Ballygalget
O'Rahillys V Kilclief
Michael Cusacks V Craobh Rua

Wednesday 4th Apr 2018
Craobh Rua V O'Rahillys
Ballycran V Ballygalget
Kilclief V Portaferry
Bredagh V Michael Cusacks

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1609 - 15/02/2018 12:37:53    2077053

Link

Good to see the fixtures up, Should be a tight enough league and championship this year. Would I be right in saying Ballygalget were the the team to beat at this age a couple years back?

Thecranman (Down) - Posts: 30 - 15/02/2018 22:16:04    2077281

Link

O'Rahilly's should be strong enough too.

It's well seeing Liatroim don't enter unless they think they're going to win and lump in with Castlewellan and Ballella when things are tough

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2448 - 16/02/2018 08:26:26    2077314

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "O'Rahilly's should be strong enough too.

It's well seeing Liatroim don't enter unless they think they're going to win and lump in with Castlewellan and Ballella when things are tough"
All mc crickards are threw now just one left big push is over in Leitrim.

Thekid14 (Down) - Posts: 202 - 16/02/2018 19:13:24    2077487

Link

Replying To Thekid14:  "All mc crickards are threw now just one left big push is over in Leitrim."
The attitude of some Ards posters to any club in the non Ards pushing in defies belief......try being a dual club like most of us are then see how 'easy' it is to promote hurling.....it's a simple job where the majority of families are steeped in the game far harder when they aren't so give some credit where it is due.....to be fair Liatriom/Castlewellan have played together at underage for a long time now so not sure why people are poking at them, maybe simply cos they won an u21 and you know what they could another couple in the coming years....

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 726 - 16/02/2018 21:05:33    2077506

Link

Replying To PaudieSull1:  "The attitude of some Ards posters to any club in the non Ards pushing in defies belief......try being a dual club like most of us are then see how 'easy' it is to promote hurling.....it's a simple job where the majority of families are steeped in the game far harder when they aren't so give some credit where it is due.....to be fair Liatriom/Castlewellan have played together at underage for a long time now so not sure why people are poking at them, maybe simply cos they won an u21 and you know what they could another couple in the coming years...."
How would they not win under 21 title. Players all over Down in there team.

Thekid14 (Down) - Posts: 202 - 16/02/2018 23:04:27    2077530

Link

Really can't believe that Carryduff and Newry have amalgamated this year again when Carryduff were well capable of fielding at this age in u14 and u16 well enough on their own, are there no young players in the point or clonduff able to join Newry or are they not wanted.....cant see anyone beating Breadth at this age going on past years

trueport (Down) - Posts: 30 - 18/02/2018 18:06:58    2077987

Link

Replying To PaudieSull1:  "The attitude of some Ards posters to any club in the non Ards pushing in defies belief......try being a dual club like most of us are then see how 'easy' it is to promote hurling.....it's a simple job where the majority of families are steeped in the game far harder when they aren't so give some credit where it is due.....to be fair Liatriom/Castlewellan have played together at underage for a long time now so not sure why people are poking at them, maybe simply cos they won an u21 and you know what they could another couple in the coming years...."
You're missing the point Paudie.

If you honestly think its a numbers issue with Liatroim then you didn't witness how they abused the spirit of a well intentioned rule against Portaferry in our pitch at the tail end of last year.

They deliberately fielded the bare minimum to pull one over Portaferry when they'd a load of young hurlers not stripped out, now that is not hurling development that I know it and they need called out for it.
I don't think I was ever so glad to see the Ports win as that's bad manners in anyones book.

Liatroim for being a rural club have a huge catchment and you don't think they can muster 15 hurlers from 15 to 18 years of age?

Don't start me on the South Belfast brigade looking to get into B championships when it doesn't look too rosy in the championship proper!

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2448 - 19/02/2018 16:24:53    2078427

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "You're missing the point Paudie.

If you honestly think its a numbers issue with Liatroim then you didn't witness how they abused the spirit of a well intentioned rule against Portaferry in our pitch at the tail end of last year.

They deliberately fielded the bare minimum to pull one over Portaferry when they'd a load of young hurlers not stripped out, now that is not hurling development that I know it and they need called out for it.
I don't think I was ever so glad to see the Ports win as that's bad manners in anyones book.

Liatroim for being a rural club have a huge catchment and you don't think they can muster 15 hurlers from 15 to 18 years of age?

Don't start me on the South Belfast brigade looking to get into B championships when it doesn't look too rosy in the championship proper!"
Leitrim finished at minor level mc crickards duggans all up and threw. Got players least 6 different clubs fill out under 21 team win championship. Leitrim not win minor or under 21 title next 10 years big push is over.?

Thekid14 (Down) - Posts: 202 - 19/02/2018 19:02:47    2078499

Link

Your v hard on the teams outside the Ards Brickie.

Liatroim don't always have the numbers & neither do we. The football is more attractive for many of the lads.

I cant remember the last time Bredagh played in a B championship so your not being fair on them either.

Frank Mitchell (Down) - Posts: 1075 - 20/02/2018 08:28:47    2078617

Link

Replying To Frank Mitchell:  "Your v hard on the teams outside the Ards Brickie.

Liatroim don't always have the numbers & neither do we. The football is more attractive for many of the lads.

I cant remember the last time Bredagh played in a B championship so your not being fair on them either."
Brick is hard on all other teams, he should have a look in his own backyard with it's large catchment area and have a look at how many or lack of trophies Cran juvenile teams have won in last ten years. Pots and kettles.

Galgetgael (Down) - Posts: 214 - 20/02/2018 21:50:38    2078875

Link

Replying To Frank Mitchell:  "Your v hard on the teams outside the Ards Brickie.

I cant remember the last time Bredagh played in a B championship so your not being fair on them either."
Liatroim are able to field when they chose to do so. If the team isn't strong they won't field end off.

As for Bredagh, they're asking year after year to get into the B championships if they don't think they're going to walk the A championship.

Going by U14 Feile results 2 and 4 years ago Bredagh should walk both the U16 and Minors this year, will they but?

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2448 - 21/02/2018 12:25:07    2078962

Link

Replying To Galgetgael:  "Brick is hard on all other teams, he should have a look in his own backyard with it's large catchment area and have a look at how many or lack of trophies Cran juvenile teams have won in last ten years. Pots and kettles."
Ahem,
We won the minor championship last year and our U14's dished out some wallopings to your lads when they'd been hammered out the gates at U12.
Progress is being made.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2448 - 21/02/2018 15:31:35    2079006

Link

Ha ha Brickie. Anybody involved in hurling knows that's nonsense.

Liatroim field on there own when they have the numbers an Bredagh never ask to go in the B competitions.

Just because you repeat it doesn't make it true!!

Frank Mitchell (Down) - Posts: 1075 - 21/02/2018 15:44:24    2079009

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "Ahem,
We won the minor championship last year and our U14's dished out some wallopings to your lads when they'd been hammered out the gates at U12.
Progress is being made."
Your full minor panel struggled past 13 Galget players, some of which were injured,
The U-14s won one competition and were beaten by Bredagh in Feile shield - should be doing much better considering numbers and experienced hurlers like yourself to pass on skills and coaching.

Galgetgael (Down) - Posts: 214 - 21/02/2018 18:23:48    2079048

Link

Replying To Frank Mitchell:  "Ha ha Brickie. Anybody involved in hurling knows that's nonsense.

Liatroim field on there own when they have the numbers an Bredagh never ask to go in the B competitions.

Just because you repeat it doesn't make it true!!"
I'm with brick on the Liatroim scenario. They had boys playing in the 2nd match who where watching the first. How could they just change players in a couple of weeks??

RedDog68 (Down) - Posts: 266 - 21/02/2018 18:28:53    2079051

Link

Replying To RedDog68:  "I'm with brick on the Liatroim scenario. They had boys playing in the 2nd match who where watching the first. How could they just change players in a couple of weeks??"
Totally agree, extremely bad sportsmanship.

Galgetgael (Down) - Posts: 214 - 21/02/2018 19:10:01    2079065

Link

Replying To Galgetgael:  "Your full minor panel struggled past 13 Galget players, some of which were injured,
The U-14s won one competition and were beaten by Bredagh in Feile shield - should be doing much better considering numbers and experienced hurlers like yourself to pass on skills and coaching."
Ever stop to ask yourself why you could only muster 13 even with injuries and suspensions plus two lads from Holywood?

The answers are always closer to home.

I here that you are busy in the transfer market, one camog already and an u16 hurler in the process.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2448 - 22/02/2018 09:06:24    2079146

Link

By the looks of the previous years winners, it looks to me that Portaferry COULD be the favourites to win championship this year as Ballygalget and Ballycran weren't given a prayer the last 2 years they won it and we all seen what happened...

septictankdave (Down) - Posts: 1 - 22/03/2018 09:47:14    2086873

Link

I see the Ports have entered a Minor team into Antrim ACMHL Division 2. Meanwhile, the Crans have entered Antrim ACMHL Division 1.
Great to see these clubs pushing into Antrim at this level.

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1609 - 23/03/2018 14:27:16    2087263

Link