Carlow Forum

NFL 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Barrowsider - im not sure who S Murphy is - maybe hes from Clonmore or is it meant to be Martin Murphy from Miseal?

Brendan Murphy is starting today with Shane Redmond reverting to full back in place of Shane Mernagh.

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 16/02/2013 11:12:26    1334778

Link

S.Murphy is Shane Murphy from Clonmore, Good player. Is Brendan starting all the team sheets says he is on the line. If fit he has to start.

Optimist2013 (Carlow) - Posts: 24 - 16/02/2013 11:36:52    1334787

Link

- - - and Shane Mernagh is listed at full back on the HS Carlow home page.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2109 - 16/02/2013 11:58:46    1334789

Link

Well thats what i heard anyway Supersub - sometimes managers just give a team so that the county board can make a programme for the match. But i heard that Shane Mernagh is not well?

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 16/02/2013 12:46:18    1334796

Link

Well the london Manager was accurate - it was a dog fight - but a win is a win - Listened to it on internet - seemed to be a decent crowd there
Winning can become a habit -so heres hoping for more accuracy and a win against Leitrim , which would set us up very well - I still think a team could drop 4 points and still go to Div 3. Dont be surprised if this London team shocked one or two

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 511 - 16/02/2013 16:28:06    1334848

Link

Very slow start today. Some positives moves mostly involving Derek Hayden.Some awful wides and decision making. In fairness they battled back from 5 and 3 point margins.London were very economical with pocession. Four points from four is a good start. I think Barrowiders point about not all players being fit was evident today.That said some layers look very fit.

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 16/02/2013 17:14:38    1334866

Link

i wasn't expecting it to be that close, nice to get the win, but as i said before i don't think this defensive strategy is right for us, it needs tweaking. hayden was superb and it's fair to say his second half won the game for us, loads of work ahead of us in the next cpl of weeks

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1296 - 16/02/2013 17:28:13    1334874

Link

S.Murphy is Shane Murphy from Clonmore, Good player. Is Brendan starting all the team sheets says he is on the line. If fit he has to start.

Optimist2013 (Carlow) - Posts: 24 - 16/02/2013 17:46:49    1334890

Link

The only positive about today is that we came away with 2 points! London can feel aggrieved that they didnt get at least a draw from that match. Having Ray Walker as an extra back is pointless and is a waste of his talent especially when we could do with him in the forwards.

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 16/02/2013 18:02:58    1334905

Link

The plus side of our formation is it allows Derek Hayden to attack.the diwnside is ray walkers talents are not utilised and we allow opposition build from back which was obvious today

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 16/02/2013 18:39:20    1334920

Link

Agree 100% with everything dual supporter said. We won't beat Leitrim playing like that but if we can win it and as others drop out as weeks pass we will have a fantastic chance of promotion. We could probably afford to lose the tough back to back away games v Offaly and Limerick and still be promoted if we can win our last two games at home to Clare and Waterford (one or both of whom could be out of it by then). Leitrim at home next is now a huge potentially make or break game lets hope we have strength panel and a big home crowd.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1235 - 16/02/2013 18:50:01    1334925

Link

dual supporter I wasn't bringing into question your post on the team, far from it, in fact you were spot on.
I said in a previous post anything other than a draw, a near miss or worse against London is not an option, well we almost had all three to day, so what's the positives if any, well London did the same to us as they did to Offaly, and before we knew it they were 1-02 to 0-01 up but in between we had some woe full wides, I got a perfect view of the goal, it came as a result of Tony Bolger slipping to the ground going for a ball that was always going to be his, and the end result was his man Ciaran McAllion scoring the goal from it, no heads dropped and we went in at half time down 1-05 to 0-05 down.
More of the same in the second half, a few really bad wides, two badly taken 45's, a few give away ball's, miss directed passes from Brendan Murphy, London scored a couple of points out of nothing (soft frees included) and ten mins or so from time I thought we were going to leave it behind, but to their credit and especially to Derek Hayden, Daragh Foley, Paul Reid, and Eoghan Ruth, they worked hard 'till they drew level, went a point in front and then the final whistle with much relief.
If Carlow had been beaten to day I would have said, what's new, but now that they have won I'm saying, that's new.
They dug deep and never dropped their heads, that's a huge positive, against Leitrim that may not be enough, time will tell.
All 'n' all I think this may not be the year to apply for entry to div.3

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2109 - 16/02/2013 19:59:24    1334963

Link

Supersub - I know you werent saying anything about my post - apologies if my reply seemed like that! On that I believe that Shane Mernagh was dropped - something to do with Man Utd/Real Madrid match.
Agree with you and Onion Breath - this sort of performance will not win any of the remaining games all of which are going to be tough and very hard won. We had pencilled in London before the start of the league as a 'win' I was just surprised how close we came to losing it - London made us look headless at times.

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 16/02/2013 20:20:27    1334971

Link

Whilst we should be beaten London by more - we should take into account that London football has greatly benefitted from the economic downturn and I dont think they are the whipping boys they once were - even last summer they frighten the life of Mayo - so I would wager they will upset a few teams in this division before its over

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 511 - 16/02/2013 21:55:41    1335060

Link

Whilst we should be beaten London by more - we should take into account that London football has greatly benefitted from the economic downturn and I dont think they are the whipping boys they once were - even last summer they frighten the life of Mayo - so I would wager they will upset a few teams in this division before its over

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 511 - 16/02/2013 22:00:06    1335067

Link

Anyone know why was Conor Lawlor not involved yesterday, wasn't listed amongst subs if I recall and the obvious replacement for Shane Mernagh.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1235 - 17/02/2013 11:18:26    1335103

Link

I was about to ask the same question, also where has Padraig Murphy gone to. (St. Pats)

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2109 - 17/02/2013 11:56:48    1335113

Link

lawler was sick yesterday and Murphy is on army duty afaik. On the game yesterday I thought we were poor. Now we did stick at it which is a major plus and the lads deserve great credit for that. But overall we were bad. Only for derek Hayden throughout and Brendan Murphy in the second half we would not have got out of jail.

Player ratings: Oreilly very good left wide open for goal. 7. Molloy: 6. steady enough. Kavanagh:6 same as molloy. Nolan:6. Hayden:9. Best player on field.
Bolger:4. Poor in my opinion Redmond: 5, tried hard Foley:6. Again tried all day but was wasteful with possession at times B. Murphy: 8. Took awhile to get into game and gave away some terrible ball but really came into it in second half and drove team forward again and again. Walker:7. got on an amount of ball and ran all day but wasted a bit in half back line also not a back so inclined to give away easy frees. Reid:5 poor overall, got on a bit better in second half Ruth:6. Won a good bit of ball but use of it wasnt good, cuts back inside too often when he should be driving forward. Brian Murphy:4 Poor overall, in my opinion.
Minchin:4. one great point in second half poor overall. Kelly:5. Improved in second half and scored good point but poor overall in my opinion.
Subs.: Mernagh: Did well when he came on but has to get out first for ball as he fouls too much if his man gets possession.. Shane Murphy: Tried hard but gave away a terrible ball that London scored point off .John Murphy; Added much needed heft to attack when introduced and won vital free at the death. Should have been on earlier imo.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 17/02/2013 13:07:14    1335143

Link

i think in the past we would have lost the last two games, so that in itself is a positive, i thought we left it to late making changes yesterday, it was clear early on that what we were doing was not working, london were happy enough to let us play with an extra back and they did the same, we are moving the ball well at times, but still lapsing in concentration in the back line, that was a bad goal to concede and it's a mistake that player makes consistently, i don't like to personalise my comments but we have a few on the team that are just not working out, i salute their commitment but they are just not up to intercounty standard, not in the positions they play in anyway. we have a problem in midfield too. that has to be addressed and now. overall im quite pleased with how things are going two wins in a row, poor performance yesterday but a win. if we were going to have a bad day then im glad it was yesterday, we did create scoring chances and i like to see players taking them on

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1296 - 17/02/2013 13:27:36    1335149

Link

Good post Barrowsider, just a point though on the goal, the way I saw it was he slipped to the ground and lost out on posession and as a result his man got the loose ball, flicked it across and Ciaran Mc Allion scored the goal from that incident, I thought it was more unfortunate than anything else, just my opinion nothing more than that.
Is it possible we are not giving London enough credit, I would love to know how many of those players on the London team are from counties other than div.4 and may have played in higher divisions when they played for their own counties.
Leitrim will be looking at their game with Carlow from which they can collect their first two points and possibly London for their next two, they will be saying they beat us in DCP last year so why not this year again.
I agree with you in that theres a few positions need to be looked at, sooner rather than later. We need Conor Lawlor in the shake up before we play Leitrim, and because Leitrim have no points yet, they will approach this game as a must win for them, and that could be our down fall, so I am prepared for the worst.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2109 - 17/02/2013 20:57:01    1335352

Link