Westmeath Forum

Predications for 2017..

(Oldest Posts First)

With the start of the year only afew weeks ahead here's my predications for the year ahead..
Senior-Lomans could go on to win 4/5 in a row the ways things are going. Tpass are the only team that I think will pose them any threat. I genuinely think Kinnegad could be in serious trouble this year and I see them going down.

Intermediate-Hard to luck beyond St Malachys,Tubberclaire,Shandonagh and Tang. Tubberclaire and Shandonagh for me will be the two teams battling it out.In the relegation anyone from the second group could find themselves in trouble. For me tho I can see Ballymore and Ballynagore finding themselves in trouble.

Junior- It'll be a two horse race between Balnacarigy and Multy in the junior. CFCW showed last year if you regroup and put a plan in place its very possible to come straight back up but if Bal take this championship for granted they'll be still playing Junior football in 2018!!

Westmeathking (Westmeath) - Posts: 42 - 14/01/2017 17:39:40    1945675

Link

Replying To Westmeathking:  "With the start of the year only afew weeks ahead here's my predications for the year ahead..
Senior-Lomans could go on to win 4/5 in a row the ways things are going. Tpass are the only team that I think will pose them any threat. I genuinely think Kinnegad could be in serious trouble this year and I see them going down.

Intermediate-Hard to luck beyond St Malachys,Tubberclaire,Shandonagh and Tang. Tubberclaire and Shandonagh for me will be the two teams battling it out.In the relegation anyone from the second group could find themselves in trouble. For me tho I can see Ballymore and Ballynagore finding themselves in trouble.

Junior- It'll be a two horse race between Balnacarigy and Multy in the junior. CFCW showed last year if you regroup and put a plan in place its very possible to come straight back up but if Bal take this championship for granted they'll be still playing Junior football in 2018!!"
Spellchecker bud........predictions not bad though

Darragh (Westmeath) - Posts: 296 - 15/01/2017 21:18:20    1945925

Link

Replying To Westmeathking:  "With the start of the year only afew weeks ahead here's my predications for the year ahead..

Junior- It'll be a two horse race between Balnacarigy and Multy in the junior. CFCW showed last year if you regroup and put a plan in place its very possible to come straight back up but if Bal take this championship for granted they'll be still playing Junior football in 2018!!"
I wish someone would start a "Predictions for 2017" thread!

kingfixer (None) - Posts: 53 - 15/01/2017 21:30:50    1945928

Link

Senior - it has to be St Lomans again unless they beat themselves with complacency in the knockout stages. However there are a few teams who would put it up to them on a given day with one big effort. Shamrocks could put in a performance on a big day, especially against St Lomams but they have to get there first and there is the problem. Tyrellspass also could surprise like they did last year. Would like to see Killucan push on again. They are a breath of fresh air in the Senior Championship. But you'd have to think St Lomas will have too much for everyone.

Intermediate, as always is very hard to predict. Any one of 3 or 4 could win it but you'd have to think that Tang, Tubberclair, St Malachy's or Shandonagh will win it. The rest, for me, are making up the numbers. I thought Moate would have offered more and maybe a year to settle will see them come on a bit. I also think its only a matter of time until Shandonagh wins it with the strength of their underage. It doesnt guarantee success at adult level but its gotta help.

Junior - only 1 winner here for me. Ballynacargy.

Meridian (Westmeath) - Posts: 487 - 19/01/2017 12:26:02    1946945

Link

predictions . i think athlone could be big contenders . my top 4 would be lomans tyrrellspass mullingar shamrocks and athlone

inter i think malachys or shandonagh

junior it has to be ballynacarrgy

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1256 - 19/01/2017 15:07:44    1947009

Link

Senior: Lomans again unless Heslin gets injured. Maryland to be relegated

Inter:Think Malachys will win it but think St.Marys could be a dark horse, playing in Div 1 will give them good prep. Ballymore/CFCW to be relegated

Junior: Has to be Ball but Multy will push them hardest.

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 253 - 19/01/2017 17:17:24    1947071

Link

Multy still have it all to prove. Went out to Kilbeggan who improved last year. Bal hot favourites.

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - Posts: 886 - 19/01/2017 18:26:15    1947106

Link

Mick you really don't know your football if you think athlone will do well this year

footiemad (Westmeath) - Posts: 733 - 20/01/2017 16:05:46    1947389

Link

I heard Garrycastle have been placed in Group 2 of the new Championship structure for 2017. Should they not be in Group 1 as it was supposed to be the last 6 in the 2016 Championship with Group 2 made up from the rest and no relegation to Intermediate from Group 1.

DaCitizen (Roscommon) - Posts: 30 - 20/01/2017 23:22:13    1947488

Link

Nope
Group 1)Lomans,Tpass,Athlone,Shamrocks,Kilucan Gcastle
Group
2)Castledaly,Downs,Kgead,Caulry,Rosemount,Maryland.

Downs finished above Garrycastle in Group last year but Garrycastle advanced via playoff against Castledaly all 3 teams finished level points but gcastle will be in group 1as they made knockouts,im sure they would have rather be in group 2 with it very South dominant.

Lomans to do the 3 in a row Tpass only team i can see stopping them
Maryland or Kgead to go down both in big trouble but can see maryland beating them.
Two mullingars tpass and athlone to get knockout in group a.
Castledaly and The Downs to battle for top of group and both should qualify both will feel they should win this group rosemount could push for qualification but no other suprises in this group .

Inter its Shandonagh for me tubberclair tang always seem to bottle when it matters malachys will push.
Ballymore/Ballinagore/Moate to drop
Junior dont know much on this grade but surley if you were a gambling man youd back Ballynacargy.

There my opinions before im slated and everyone here is intitled to one looking forward to the coming year.

Any truth Championship not starting until july?

iarmhi919 (Westmeath) - Posts: 216 - 21/01/2017 18:44:13    1947590

Link

Just read the planning report on Westmeath Gaa website. I was of the opinion that the teams who qualified for the quarter finals of the senior and intermediate championship in 2016 would form the one group in 2017. This in not the case according to the report. Garrycastle and St.Marys should be in group 1 with The Downs and Milltown in group 2. Can anyone enlighten me. Further I cant figure out the proposal on the Junior football championship. It appears as if there is going to be four groups but how does a team in group four qualify for the knock out stages. it also appears as if all four teams in group 1 will make the quarter finals. Very hard to understand.

loughree (Westmeath) - Posts: 45 - 21/01/2017 19:58:35    1947599

Link

Replying To loughree:  "Just read the planning report on Westmeath Gaa website. I was of the opinion that the teams who qualified for the quarter finals of the senior and intermediate championship in 2016 would form the one group in 2017. This in not the case according to the report. Garrycastle and St.Marys should be in group 1 with The Downs and Milltown in group 2. Can anyone enlighten me. Further I cant figure out the proposal on the Junior football championship. It appears as if there is going to be four groups but how does a team in group four qualify for the knock out stages. it also appears as if all four teams in group 1 will make the quarter finals. Very hard to understand."
Garrycastle are in Group 1 and The Downs in Group 2, that's a typo.
Proposal is to have no championship until July and have leagues completed by then.
Latest report will be debated and voted on at next Thursday's Co Board meeting.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 713 - 22/01/2017 00:37:55    1947649

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Garrycastle are in Group 1 and The Downs in Group 2, that's a typo.
Proposal is to have no championship until July and have leagues completed by then.
Latest report will be debated and voted on at next Thursday's Co Board meeting."
I think the proposal is a good one. Playing championship in April like last year is a waste of time. Club players can aim to gradually peak for 1 period of the year this way. Plus the league will be much better coming thick and fast. Last year was a disaster leaving 1 round until November. Only 1 team per grade is still training at that stage. And finally, if a club player wants to go on a summer holiday they will know that May and June are free from championship.

Andy_Capp (Westmeath) - Posts: 271 - 22/01/2017 12:02:48    1947681

Link

Garrycastle are in group senior 2 of championship

footiemad (Westmeath) - Posts: 733 - 24/01/2017 09:28:25    1948312

Link

Replying To footiemad:  "Garrycastle are in group senior 2 of championship"
Yes I stand corrected. 3rd version of planning report circulated this morning shows Garrycastle in Group 1 and Downs in Group 2.
Hard to know which is best for either. Top 4 out of 6 get into knockout stages from Group 1 and bottom 2 can only be relegated to Group 2 but retain senior championship status. Group 2 is of lower standard but only top 2 get into quarters, and bottom 2 play off for relegation.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 713 - 25/01/2017 18:43:28    1948792

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Yes I stand corrected. 3rd version of planning report circulated this morning shows Garrycastle in Group 1 and Downs in Group 2.
Hard to know which is best for either. Top 4 out of 6 get into knockout stages from Group 1 and bottom 2 can only be relegated to Group 2 but retain senior championship status. Group 2 is of lower standard but only top 2 get into quarters, and bottom 2 play off for relegation."
They are both going on opposite trajectory's in any event. Loughlin's return gives The Downs something they were missing last year. They should make a 1/4 at least.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 272 - 25/01/2017 20:55:50    1948815

Link