Westmeath Forum

County U17 Footballers

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

There must be zero scouting been done because they seem to just pick the same panel as what was u15 a lot can change in 2 years. Young managers at u17 who can relate to the players is always good and have a panel of 8 scouts who attend x number of games every year monitoring who's going well and keep the politics out of it.

PowellJohn (Westmeath) - Posts: 32 - 15/12/2020 21:04:50    2322741

Link

Replying To PowellJohn:  "There must be zero scouting been done because they seem to just pick the same panel as what was u15 a lot can change in 2 years. Young managers at u17 who can relate to the players is always good and have a panel of 8 scouts who attend x number of games every year monitoring who's going well and keep the politics out of it."
Not being smart but who could go hto these games this year who wasn't biased

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 860 - 15/12/2020 23:10:35    2322780

Link

My nephew was involved in this group at U14 and at that stage they had a squad of 50+. I remember them playing Wicklow in Kinnegad in 3 simultaneous games. So to be fair that is casting the net fairly wide early on. Management changed in following years and my nephew never heard from them again. Not an issue as he got his chance but no communication again whatsoever. Not sure why management changed bit it seems Co Board only take the U16 / U17 appointments seriously and sure anyone can take them to that point. Certainly not a queue to get involved that's for sure. In fact I think all mentors at U14 level were parents bar one maybe.
In terms of players making themselves available, there are always some gripes. Not getting enough game time, not playing in preferred position etc. Sometimes lads who get the call up become pre-madonnas (or may have been already at club level) and not helped by pushy parents. Maybe some just don't want to give it the commitment. I'm sure there's some club bias in there too. I always thought getting recently retired county players involved to cut their teeth at coaching was a good way forward but maybe they are not queuing up either.
This year had to be a very tough year for all U17 county teams and our lads came up against a decent Meath outfit.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 739 - 16/12/2020 11:03:18    2322825

Link

Replying To jobber:  "Not being smart but who could go hto these games this year who wasn't biased"
Well if you have a panel of let's say 8 in your scouting team which are put in place at u-15 and monitoring for 2 years. That person cant monitor any games involving there own club can put forward anyone from there own club. But the process would have to be rolled out and mightn't see the benefit of it for 2 years. The manager then has a pool of players who he can go watch aswell which I don't think is done to much.

PowellJohn (Westmeath) - Posts: 32 - 16/12/2020 15:25:08    2322901

Link

Replying To PowellJohn:  "Well if you have a panel of let's say 8 in your scouting team which are put in place at u-15 and monitoring for 2 years. That person cant monitor any games involving there own club can put forward anyone from there own club. But the process would have to be rolled out and mightn't see the benefit of it for 2 years. The manager then has a pool of players who he can go watch aswell which I don't think is done to much."
Can't *

PowellJohn (Westmeath) - Posts: 32 - 16/12/2020 15:29:37    2322906

Link