USA Forum

Is the end in sight?

(Oldest Posts First)

The New Year has arrived and no guest of honor for the banquet has been selected, or perhaps nobody has accepted, yet. No team manager for the New York squad has been selected, in spite of the number of candidates. According to those who know most of the inside workings of the New York Board, they meet regularly on Mclean ave, these have already been decided. According to them another vital issue which has been decided is the dates for the various finals. The backers of the strong senior teams, who wanted the finals played before the end of August, will have them moved to before the football all-Ireland this year and earlier next year when people get used to it. Enough new officers at board and sr. division level will sell the delegates on it. This will bring New York in line with the other North America strongholds of Gaelic games, Philly., Chicago, and Boston. WE all know how great things are in those cities now. The playing season in NY will begin the first of June and end eventually end on the last day of August....3 whole months. The day of the club is slowly dying, and is in some cases dead, and business and money has taken over. There will be no place for the minor board graduates when their underage days are over. At least now they could get an odd game before the big guns arrived and after they went back. The priority is winning, no matter what it costs even destroying clubs and the gaa in New York.

Faha2 (USA) - Posts: 112 - 30/12/2011 15:39:11    1087912

Link

I dont know if your having a go at the NACB with your sarcasm Faha2 but if you are you have a lot of nerve. It's only a matter of time before the NACB and the New York County Board are all the one county. San Francisco, Chicago, Boston and Cleveland have all state of the art facilities that would be the envy of any club in Ireland. Philadelphia will soon be joining the list of cities with their own facilities. Aside from Rockland having a place, New York have a lease on a facility that Nicky Brennan and Croke Park in their infinite wisdom funded to the tune of $2 mill a couple of years back, a lease which now expires this year.
The Canadian County Board had 9 clubs participating at the NACB playoffs in San Francisco on Labor Day weekend 2011. I'm sure Philadelphia would welcome New York clubs to their city for 2012 to participate. The more the merrier. Bring them on.

phanatic (USA) - Posts: 91 - 03/01/2012 18:00:35    1088232

Link

Realistically football is almost dead in Chicago.....how many teamsmare left? How many teams remain in Philly? Over half the players competing in Boston are imported. As regards Gaelic Park your figures are way off, divide by two at least. There is no land suitable for playing fields anywhere available within the confines of New York or Westchester. The playing season in the NAB have been streamlined to facilitate the importation of players....three months. The big money men in New York want to do the same. Granted excellent pitches exist in the cities you named but none could withstand the number of games played weekly in Gaelic Park...approx.twenty.
It will be a shame to see it sitting idle in Sept. and Oct. when you calculate the rent being paid.

Faha2 (USA) - Posts: 112 - 03/01/2012 18:40:13    1088255

Link

Guess my hunch was right. You were rippin on the NACB. There are 27 mens and ladie's football, hurling and camogie clubs in the Chicago Division of the NACB. Just because the mens Senior Football is not as strong as it once was doesn't mean that a division of the NACB is not thriving and providing great competition for its clubs. Boston has 33 clubs. Philadelphia has 9 and it would have double that if NACB hadn't split the Division a few years back and let Washington/Baltimore set up the Mid-Atlantic division. Faha if you are going to bash the NACB try and get your facts right. I take it NY clubs don't bring in players from Ireland for the summer when you say all Boston teams only survive because they are imported. You're havin a laugh!!!
The main reason the NACB has a short championship season is the 90 day visa situation. However to say an NACB season lasts 2/3 months is ludacris. Boston start their league in early April and San Fran because of their climate play all year round. And to say these NACB cities couldn't handle 22 games in a weekend you really don't have a clue. Do you know how many games are played at an North American Play-Off Weekend. Over 120 games. At Chicago Gaelic Park there are 6 fields. In Boston at Canton there are 4. San Fran at Treasure Island there are 3 fields.
Why don't you make the 3 hr trip down the Turnpike Labor Day Weekend to Philadelphia and find out this stuff for yourself and maybe then when you post on this website you won't look like a blethering idiot.

phanatic (USA) - Posts: 91 - 03/01/2012 19:59:30    1088297

Link

out of curosity, who are the names being talked about for the new york manager position?

sligolifer (Sligo) - Posts: 959 - 03/01/2012 21:13:05    1088330

Link

joan henchy, connie molloy, and possibly seamus sweeney again!

northie_chap (Louth) - Posts: 69 - 04/01/2012 11:53:44    1088406

Link

The managers going for the NY job are Eugene Kyne, Gary Dowd, Connie Molloy, and Seamus Sweeney
Between kyne and Dowd,

Ladygaa (USA) - Posts: 32 - 04/01/2012 12:29:37    1088427

Link

really not much of a selection there, sweeney has done about the best he could do,, kyne has been trying for years to get it and dowd has never managed before so glad to see so many top candidates out there

sligolifer (Sligo) - Posts: 959 - 04/01/2012 18:14:19    1088652

Link

There has to be more people in for the New York job? Heard Sweeney wasn't interested in getting it!! Connie would be the pick of them.

nedonmclean (USA) - Posts: 12 - 05/01/2012 11:39:01    1088895

Link

I see sligolifer very skilfully changed the subject to the NY management. Must have been touching on a couple of sore points he/she didn't want any further discussion. Subtle as a bucket of slurry.
But honestly are you surprised regarding the NY job. It should be on that TV series "Dirtiest Jobs" with the Ford guy. Two competitive games a year, success measured if you kept the crushing defeat below 20 points, and then a 3 month debate about whether it's a worthwhile endeavour or not. Who in their right mind would want it?

phanatic (USA) - Posts: 91 - 05/01/2012 15:08:23    1089069

Link

You are missing the point. Senior football in both Philly and Chicago was made to be totally dependent on summer players. Senior football in Boston is the same. The emphasis is on winning at any cost.
Club management was not satisfied with fielding teams made up of residents. It started slowly and eventually the senior teams were predominately imports. Some of these teams were as good as some county teams. They forgot that they were supposed to be club teams. NAB finals are played the last week in August and the players depart (richer). When the funds dry up so will the teams.
The same was happening in New York. However at a meeting this week of the senior division it was reported that proposals were made to reduce the number of imports to four with a view to eventually eliminating them entirely. Focus is to be on developing New York based teams. This is a surprising and welcome development.

Perhaps after all the end is no longer in sight for the NY board.

Faha2 (USA) - Posts: 112 - 13/01/2012 17:41:38    1093253

Link

what players are you on about Faha? I know of only a few good young american players, the likes of carty, and molloy, but their is not enough that would be able to play at senior level, their is barely enough at junior level. The 6 sanctions coming in, help entertainment in the park, and are part of what makes New york a special place in the summer and make the games worth while, lets be realistic here.

northie_chap (Louth) - Posts: 69 - 17/01/2012 10:28:33    1094885

Link

I have to agree with Northie. Eliminating temporary sanctions from Ireland will be the death of Gaelic football in NY. No one can deny the sharp decline in standard and support seen in GP on a Sunday since weekenders were outlawed, let alone reducing summer recruits.

There simply is not enough bodies or interest to support a fully homegrown league. Think of all the Irish born players who will be retiring in the next few years. Who will replace them? An amateur sport, terribly supported in terms of facilities and expertise, stands zero chance against baseball, soccer, football, basketball et al, not to mention college life itself.

There is no point getting excited about a group of kids in Paddy's field on a Sunday. 99% of those kids will never follow through to a senior level. They go because their parents make them. That ends once they get older.

Who is going to coach these kids? The current crop of coaches can't do it forever. There is no system to refresh the pool of players or coaches and with permanent, legal emigrants almost non existent it won't improve.

You need a half dozen, decent players from Ireland and then fill out the 15 with hardy, 40yr old veterans and a handful of gangly 17yr old basketball stars. C'est la vie.

Summer sanctions are a necessity The payments, the mollycoddling and the star treatment? A means to an end.

Shinkicker (USA) - Posts: 145 - 18/01/2012 12:21:17    1095826

Link

Well said shinkicker. I couln't have put it better myself. You make a lot of sense.

phanatic (USA) - Posts: 91 - 18/01/2012 17:52:17    1096131

Link

I've been reading this thread for a bit now. I'm not in New York and I've heard it said that without players coming over, the games just aren't that entertaining, and it gives youngsters something to aspire to. I understand that. There are only a few American born players that I know who can compete at Senior. And, I've seen them hold their own. We seem to agree that American's standards aren't up to the most entertaining levels. We've identified the problem, but what are we going to do about it? There are multitudes of other sports that American youth have to choose from. Why can't football or hurling be among them?

kilflynn (Kerry) - Posts: 64 - 18/01/2012 18:16:12    1096148

Link

Basketball, baseball, american football, soccer, lacrosse, ice hockey, track and field, volleyball, golf, etc,etc, I could go on with 100 different sports all provide full scholarships to colleges and universities for kids who excel in high-school at their respective sport. If they stand out in their sport at college they all have an opportunity to join the professional ranks of their sports and never have to "work" a day the rest of their lives. For right or wrong, good or bad gaelic games as of yet provides none of the above. American parents who don't have some connection to Ireland would be unlikely to encourage their kids to participate in a sport that they dont have a chance to maximise their potential.

phanatic (USA) - Posts: 91 - 02/03/2012 21:01:37    1121471

Link

The players are going over I hear.

lostintime (USA) - Posts: 533 - 30/03/2012 18:14:10    1140276

Link