Galway Forum

Competition Age Grades

(Oldest Posts First)

Galwaymaster9 started a thread on the National page about this topic and it had a good post from EDH ( suggesting u11, 13, 15 (Feile), 17, 19 (minors) + u21s )... thought it might be worth discussing from a Galway perspective....as apparently the County Board are discussing it shortly.

I think the Feile at u15s seems like a good idea ( Croke Park are pushing it according to Irish Examiner ) and also minors at u19 could work well and avoid the Leaving Cert.... the big problem/issues seems to be from 17 upwards as a lot of clubs start to strugle for numbers.....hard to know what will work there but wonder would there be any appetite for a 9 a side league at the older age groups ? Might suit smaller numbers and could be attractive/exciting games for that difficult age bracket ??

Black+Blue (Galway) - Posts: 89 - 25/11/2020 18:53:12    2315369

Link

Replying To Black+Blue:  "Galwaymaster9 started a thread on the National page about this topic and it had a good post from EDH ( suggesting u11, 13, 15 (Feile), 17, 19 (minors) + u21s )... thought it might be worth discussing from a Galway perspective....as apparently the County Board are discussing it shortly.

I think the Feile at u15s seems like a good idea ( Croke Park are pushing it according to Irish Examiner ) and also minors at u19 could work well and avoid the Leaving Cert.... the big problem/issues seems to be from 17 upwards as a lot of clubs start to strugle for numbers.....hard to know what will work there but wonder would there be any appetite for a 9 a side league at the older age groups ? Might suit smaller numbers and could be attractive/exciting games for that difficult age bracket ??"
I would agree with you as regards a nine or even an eleven side competition considering it works well at national school level . However I would be of the opinion that minor should stay at u18 at both club and inter county . A lot of young lads now do TY as part of a six year secondary cycle so ironically are only doing the Leaving cert at nineteen which might create the very problem they are trying to avoid . To be fair Galways juvenile structures ( with the main emphasis on 12 14 and 16) have been well run ,particularly in the last 10 or 12 years although the change to u17 at inter county has interfered a little

UtahBlaine (Galway) - Posts: 72 - 25/11/2020 19:32:01    2315381

Link

Replying To UtahBlaine:  "I would agree with you as regards a nine or even an eleven side competition considering it works well at national school level . However I would be of the opinion that minor should stay at u18 at both club and inter county . A lot of young lads now do TY as part of a six year secondary cycle so ironically are only doing the Leaving cert at nineteen which might create the very problem they are trying to avoid . To be fair Galways juvenile structures ( with the main emphasis on 12 14 and 16) have been well run ,particularly in the last 10 or 12 years although the change to u17 at inter county has interfered a little"
Correct this is having a big impact on the u20 inter county grade
When this was first thought up lads were doing leaving certs at 16/17
Now lads are 18/19 doing leaving and are having to pull out of u20 grade for that year
They should never had gone near the u21 grade there was no need for it to change
There were very good reasons why u21 age was chosen all those yrs ago

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1248 - 25/11/2020 19:47:45    2315391

Link

Replying To UtahBlaine:  "I would agree with you as regards a nine or even an eleven side competition considering it works well at national school level . However I would be of the opinion that minor should stay at u18 at both club and inter county . A lot of young lads now do TY as part of a six year secondary cycle so ironically are only doing the Leaving cert at nineteen which might create the very problem they are trying to avoid . To be fair Galways juvenile structures ( with the main emphasis on 12 14 and 16) have been well run ,particularly in the last 10 or 12 years although the change to u17 at inter county has interfered a little"
Correct this is having a big impact on the u20 inter county grade
When this was first thought up lads were doing leaving certs at 16/17
Now lads are 18/19 doing leaving and are having to pull out of u20 grade for that year
They should never had gone near the u21 grade there was no need for it to change
There were very good reasons why u21 age was chosen all those yrs ago

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1248 - 25/11/2020 19:47:45    2315392

Link

I didnt think about TY in secondary....so maybe going back to u18 for minors is actually the right solution.? Would be better if Minor club + county was at the same age again rather than 2 at different years....both u17 or both u18

If Feile moved to u15 it would probably take the 6th class lads from Primary school out of it ( current situation at u14 in a lot of clubs ) which might not be any harm.. keep the pressure and expectation off them in Primary school.

9/11 a side just a thought..anything to give them more game time at that older age would have to help as the current 1/2 games at u20 isnt enough for them to keep interested..especially in clubs without a second Adult team to play for.

In fairness for last few years the Juvenile competitions have certainly run off well..hell of an amount of matches to organise !

Black+Blue (Galway) - Posts: 89 - 25/11/2020 20:42:40    2315421

Link

Its been confirmed by Galway County Baord that Coiste Peil na nOg will be running the following competitions in 2021...
Go games for u7, u9 + u11.
Championship for u13, u15, u17.
Feile for u15.
Shorter development leagues at u12, u14 + u16.

Anyone know whats happening above u17s ?

Black+Blue (Galway) - Posts: 89 - 27/11/2020 18:24:26    2315989

Link

Did anyone hear any news on the older age grades for 2021 ?

Are we likely to see u19 or u20 or u21 ??

Black+Blue (Galway) - Posts: 89 - 14/12/2020 20:38:05    2322437

Link

Replying To Black+Blue:  "Its been confirmed by Galway County Baord that Coiste Peil na nOg will be running the following competitions in 2021...
Feile for u15.

Anyone know whats happening above u17s ?"
No not a word. Can't understand why the messing with minor and u21 grades in past number of years. The motto is supposed to be if it isn't broken don't try to fix. Minor u18 and u21 worked well for years. Now they are changing minors to u17 which means a group of lads in every county turning 18 in 2021 will have little or no football. This IMO is a disgraceful decision.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 622 - 15/12/2020 07:18:59    2322507

Link

Replying To Black+Blue:  "Its been confirmed by Galway County Baord that Coiste Peil na nOg will be running the following competitions in 2021...
Feile for u15.

Anyone know whats happening above u17s ?"
So you have young lads who were U15 in 2020 and if at a club with big numbers didn't play U16 and if memory serves me right got only one game at U15 will again be disadvantaged in 2021 as the U16 will be a shorter campaign/development league. Poorly thought out!!

hashtag2017 (Galway) - Posts: 65 - 15/12/2020 10:10:28    2322532

Link

Replying To Toman:  "No not a word. Can't understand why the messing with minor and u21 grades in past number of years. The motto is supposed to be if it isn't broken don't try to fix. Minor u18 and u21 worked well for years. Now they are changing minors to u17 which means a group of lads in every county turning 18 in 2021 will have little or no football. This IMO is a disgraceful decision."
Hopefully Toman those u18 lads in 2021 will be getting an u19 Championship with plenty of matches !

Black+Blue (Galway) - Posts: 89 - 15/12/2020 19:38:11    2322718

Link

Replying To hashtag2017:  "So you have young lads who were U15 in 2020 and if at a club with big numbers didn't play U16 and if memory serves me right got only one game at U15 will again be disadvantaged in 2021 as the U16 will be a shorter campaign/development league. Poorly thought out!!"
In fairness to Galway County Board Hashtag they apparently wanted to keep the current age grades going but were denied by Croke Park.... hopefully a lot of clubs will be communicating with each other next year to arrange plenty of challenge games /blitzes to give gametime to those lads born in 2005... its an important age - 15/16 to keep an eye on with a lot starting to drop away

Black+Blue (Galway) - Posts: 89 - 15/12/2020 19:43:21    2322720

Link

Replying To hashtag2017:  "So you have young lads who were U15 in 2020 and if at a club with big numbers didn't play U16 and if memory serves me right got only one game at U15 will again be disadvantaged in 2021 as the U16 will be a shorter campaign/development league. Poorly thought out!!"
In fairness to Galway County Board Hashtag they apparently wanted to keep the current age grades going but were denied by Croke Park.... hopefully a lot of clubs will be communicating with each other next year to arrange plenty of challenge games /blitzes to give gametime to those lads born in 2005... its an important age - 15/16 to keep an eye on with a lot starting to drop away

Black+Blue (Galway) - Posts: 89 - 15/12/2020 19:44:00    2322721

Link

We would have good number of lads in our club born in 2003 who did'nt make minor (u18) this year partially because they were younger but also because there was a good few better 18 year olds ahead of them in the queue. So no games this year or now next year for these lads.Its very sad because the end result is that most will never return after two years out,particularly to hurling. Its also very sad for their coaches (myself included) to see 8 years of work sliding away with no real way of preventing it. I'm sure plenty of clubs are in the same boat. The GAA are hiding behind talk of streamlining etc but everyone knows the real reason is that it will now give County boards the opportunity to fix both adult and minor matches at the same time.Thats why theres no real opposition from that corner.Whats going to happen post u17 is anyones guess but given the track record with u21 competitions (which used to be the best of all ) you wouldnt have much faith.Very poorly thought out indeed!

UtahBlaine (Galway) - Posts: 72 - 16/12/2020 19:46:14    2322993

Link

Replying To UtahBlaine:  "We would have good number of lads in our club born in 2003 who did'nt make minor (u18) this year partially because they were younger but also because there was a good few better 18 year olds ahead of them in the queue. So no games this year or now next year for these lads.Its very sad because the end result is that most will never return after two years out,particularly to hurling. Its also very sad for their coaches (myself included) to see 8 years of work sliding away with no real way of preventing it. I'm sure plenty of clubs are in the same boat. The GAA are hiding behind talk of streamlining etc but everyone knows the real reason is that it will now give County boards the opportunity to fix both adult and minor matches at the same time.Thats why theres no real opposition from that corner.Whats going to happen post u17 is anyones guess but given the track record with u21 competitions (which used to be the best of all ) you wouldnt have much faith.Very poorly thought out indeed!"
Fully agree with you on this. The reasoning behind if ur correct will come back to bite county board club wise. Changing minor age from u18 is nothing short of ridiculous. Every club will have lads who were in their last year of u18 minor. With this age group changed to u17 those lads aren't going to stay playing football. Let's face it the 21 was a fantastic competition but the Gaa ruined that now they are going to ruin what used to be a huge occasion for those lads ie their last year of minor.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 622 - 16/12/2020 21:18:29    2323020

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Fully agree with you on this. The reasoning behind if ur correct will come back to bite county board club wise. Changing minor age from u18 is nothing short of ridiculous. Every club will have lads who were in their last year of u18 minor. With this age group changed to u17 those lads aren't going to stay playing football. Let's face it the 21 was a fantastic competition but the Gaa ruined that now they are going to ruin what used to be a huge occasion for those lads ie their last year of minor."
The u 19 competition will look after them lads... What's the big issue..

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 309 - 17/12/2020 08:46:06    2323058

Link

Replying To Galwaymaster9:  "The u 19 competition will look after them lads... What's the big issue.."
Oh sorry I must be in county board if you know for definite there's going to be an u19 competition

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 622 - 17/12/2020 10:35:04    2323087

Link