Galway Forum

County Board Meeting

(Oldest Posts First)

Any word from the latest county board meeting? Rumours of a reshuffle to the hurling championships are circulating for a few weeks now. Latest I heard was intermediate being changed to a 4 group × 4 team championship and the same for junior A. This would mean no intermediate team relegated again for the third year. I'm sure Kiltormer would be relieved but probably not the best fit for them considering their woeful year gone by. I presume 2 teams would have to be promoted to make up the numbers. The senior championship has become a farce with the senior a, senior b intertwined structure. It is about time that a standardized structure for championships should be circulated to get all counties in line to fix the fixtures bottle neck. 16 teams in Senior Intermediate and junior is the most logical fix in my opinion. It distributes the standard better and reduces the number of weekends games would be played on.

MountainSouth (Galway) - Posts: 34 - 09/01/2020 20:48:44    2258528

Link

Replying To MountainSouth:  "Any word from the latest county board meeting? Rumours of a reshuffle to the hurling championships are circulating for a few weeks now. Latest I heard was intermediate being changed to a 4 group × 4 team championship and the same for junior A. This would mean no intermediate team relegated again for the third year. I'm sure Kiltormer would be relieved but probably not the best fit for them considering their woeful year gone by. I presume 2 teams would have to be promoted to make up the numbers. The senior championship has become a farce with the senior a, senior b intertwined structure. It is about time that a standardized structure for championships should be circulated to get all counties in line to fix the fixtures bottle neck. 16 teams in Senior Intermediate and junior is the most logical fix in my opinion. It distributes the standard better and reduces the number of weekends games would be played on."
Get rid of hurling altogether would be the better job!

whoop_hero (Galway) - Posts: 78 - 10/01/2020 10:03:26    2258615

Link

Replying To MountainSouth:  "Any word from the latest county board meeting? Rumours of a reshuffle to the hurling championships are circulating for a few weeks now. Latest I heard was intermediate being changed to a 4 group × 4 team championship and the same for junior A. This would mean no intermediate team relegated again for the third year. I'm sure Kiltormer would be relieved but probably not the best fit for them considering their woeful year gone by. I presume 2 teams would have to be promoted to make up the numbers. The senior championship has become a farce with the senior a, senior b intertwined structure. It is about time that a standardized structure for championships should be circulated to get all counties in line to fix the fixtures bottle neck. 16 teams in Senior Intermediate and junior is the most logical fix in my opinion. It distributes the standard better and reduces the number of weekends games would be played on."
'reduce the number of weekends that games would be played on' is the same as saying, reduce the number of games. Aren't club players always looking for more games? Club players are not looking to play less often than they do currently afaik.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2378 - 10/01/2020 11:38:47    2258650

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "'reduce the number of weekends that games would be played on' is the same as saying, reduce the number of games. Aren't club players always looking for more games? Club players are not looking to play less often than they do currently afaik."
I know from personal experience club players are more worried about the championship being ran efficiently. Consistent breaks between rounds, as in 2 weeks and you know you are out again. Getting games on good pitches. This comes down to good management of fixtures which is easier when the format of the championships are consistent. Pitch committees around the county are sick of this feast or famine approach to games. Nothing in the summer and a glut of fixtures in October. Pitches destroyed and closed up then causing more fixture congestion. The standard format or 4×4 championship is easier manage and more efficiently ran.

As for the club players wanting more games. This is a myth. Don't know where it started. I have never heard any club player complain that there are not enough games. When the season starts all players are concerned about is who they are playing and when are the games on. I have though, heard and would have the same complaint myself that championship formats where the groups are bigger than 4-5 leads to end of year fixtures that are not competitive. Nothing worse that being out of the championship and having to play a game that does not affect your position.

A standardized format for the senior codes eliminates all of the problems that have been created by successive poorly ran county executives. It fits also an awful lot better with dual counties where fixtures have to be offset from each other. Another point to add would be that the senior championship in Galway spanned 8 months last year. More expensive to run, harder on players physically, depleted numbers training and playing in the summer time, less going through the turnstiles in the winter, harder on the small clubs where a lot of players are living and working a long distance from home and the continuing issue of the U21 championship not getting played out because not enough time to run off the games.

MountainSouth (Galway) - Posts: 34 - 10/01/2020 14:26:48    2258729

Link

Replying To whoop_hero:  "Get rid of hurling altogether would be the better job!"
Yes that would be a quick fix. All of the best footballers in Galway play hurling so I suppose we might put together a decent team as a complete football county.

MountainSouth (Galway) - Posts: 34 - 10/01/2020 14:33:23    2258735

Link

Heard a rumour but I doubt there could be any truth in it ,, heard Kiltomer appealed there relegation from intermediate to junior and they being left in intermediate, anyone else hear this ,,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 453 - 10/01/2020 19:21:50    2258813

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "Heard a rumour but I doubt there could be any truth in it ,, heard Kiltomer appealed there relegation from intermediate to junior and they being left in intermediate, anyone else hear this ,,"
Sure it would be possible I suppose. If there was an appeal it would have to have been submitted before the winter break. I presume it would be made public? Or is there anywhere that we can look up where appeals are submitted? I doubt they would have a leg to stand on, they were bet out of the championship and beaten twice in the relegation play off. Then again county board like hiding things and could spring it at the last hour. There was also talk that they wanted to set up a divisional team made up of the smaller clubs to enter in senior.

MountainSouth (Galway) - Posts: 34 - 11/01/2020 21:50:08    2258994

Link