Galway Forum

Galway Vs Wexford

(Oldest Posts First)

Unlucky today against Limerick but Limerick just wanted it that bit more. As for this match, away to Wexford something nobody wants. Expecting a good hard hitting game with few goals, they need to keep a eye on Lee Chin from beginning to end. The League isn't done just yet, no reason we can't win it.
Galway 3+

oakleafersir (Derry) - Posts: 807 - 11/03/2018 18:18:40    2083484

Link

Replying To oakleafersir:  "Unlucky today against Limerick but Limerick just wanted it that bit more. As for this match, away to Wexford something nobody wants. Expecting a good hard hitting game with few goals, they need to keep a eye on Lee Chin from beginning to end. The League isn't done just yet, no reason we can't win it.
Galway 3+"
This league has been a bit of a wash out for us. And while I suspect from the general approach that league success wasn't a main focus for the team, it shouldn't be a convenient excuse for the performances either. Goal scoring remains a problem, just like last year. Unlike last year there are no repeated victories so far to help gloss over that.

We have an opening game against Offaly in the Leinster championship and then it's KK, WX and Dublin. We'd better hit the ground running if we want to avoid the back door.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2859 - 25/03/2018 00:04:06    2087593

Link

Replying To festinog:  "This league has been a bit of a wash out for us. And while I suspect from the general approach that league success wasn't a main focus for the team, it shouldn't be a convenient excuse for the performances either. Goal scoring remains a problem, just like last year. Unlike last year there are no repeated victories so far to help gloss over that.

We have an opening game against Offaly in the Leinster championship and then it's KK, WX and Dublin. We'd better hit the ground running if we want to avoid the back door."
The inability to score goals is a serious worry, and it's very hard to see how we're just going to start scoring goals when we're not even threatening to in most matches. You would also hope that we're not going to to a Clare on it, in that we win an All Ireland and then just disappear back into mediocrity for years to come.

gilly0512 (Galway) - Posts: 1176 - 26/03/2018 12:17:59    2088235

Link

Replying To gilly2308:  "The inability to score goals is a serious worry, and it's very hard to see how we're just going to start scoring goals when we're not even threatening to in most matches. You would also hope that we're not going to to a Clare on it, in that we win an All Ireland and then just disappear back into mediocrity for years to come."
Amen to that. Tipperary's implosion for the first half of last year's championship and the "one in a row" taunts also spring to mind.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2859 - 27/03/2018 20:54:32    2088863

Link

Early days lads, so I'd relax a bit. If we're only scrapping by Offaly at home in the first game of championship then it's time to be worried. I have no doubt the lads will be flying fit come May and incrementally improving as they get more games, just like last year. Limerick and Wexford were far hungrier than us and shot the lights out when it mattered. We're not at that level yet but we will be. We didn't show up at all in the league in 2016, and it took us till the final v Tipp to really take it up a notch last year.

While we haven't won anything and haven't been promoted, I think it's been a fairly good league for us. Brushed some of the dust off and gave game time to 30+ players. As All-Ireland champs you need to find new blood to mix in with the panel and I think we've done that. We have also come out the other end with no real injuries of note, and Donaghue hasn't shown his hand at all.

There's too much quality in this panel to not be competitive at the back end of the year again. We might not win out but we're not going to be a Clare. Plus a "return to mediocrity" would be impossible since before 2017 we were still a very good team competing every year bar the odd down year.

Or maybe I'm just still on a high from September.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 216 - 28/03/2018 10:04:30    2088946

Link

Fair comment, Townee. Festy seems to be concerned about 'one in a row' taunts there. Wouldn't the bulk of teams love to be dealing with a one in a row taunt in 2020? I should think so. I wonder what the 'one in a row' taunts were like in 1924? Lads licking the quill, and writing into the Connacht Tribune, saying twud be 57 years before we'd win another one. One in a row taunts indeed!

Galway 33pts, 29pts, 22pts, 26pts v Offaly, Wexford, Tipp & Waterford in last year's championship, so TeamGilly is not the only one that have/had cause for concern about our lack of goalscoring prowess.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2378 - 28/03/2018 11:03:56    2088964

Link

We should have lost our first league game which was at home to Antrim.The game against Laois was in the melting pot till near the end too.Its clear that we are well behind every other hurling county at the moment in terms of preparation so losing to an in form Wexford was no surprise.
Lets see how we shape up on May 12th in Tullamore.I would be amazed if we don't see huge improvement.

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 28/03/2018 13:50:32    2089038

Link

We came into the championship last year having just soundly thrashed the AI champions, on their home pitch, in the league final. We lost one game in the league which served to give us the kick we needed to push on. We're nowhere near that intensity this year, so I wouldn't be surprised to see us take a less direct route to the latter stages of the championship than we did last year. Of course this team has the talent to be there or thereabouts come September, but they have a lot of momentum to build up in the meantime.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2859 - 28/03/2018 18:31:38    2089127

Link

Replying To festinog:  "We came into the championship last year having just soundly thrashed the AI champions, on their home pitch, in the league final. We lost one game in the league which served to give us the kick we needed to push on. We're nowhere near that intensity this year, so I wouldn't be surprised to see us take a less direct route to the latter stages of the championship than we did last year. Of course this team has the talent to be there or thereabouts come September, but they have a lot of momentum to build up in the meantime."
We beat the Champs in Limerick not their own pitch.Also true to say that we weren't too impressive up to that point.

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 28/03/2018 19:39:50    2089142

Link

We were fairly poor until that Tipp game in the final last year. We were terrible v Waterford in the Quarter-final until about 60 minutes, and stumbled a bit v Limerick in both league games against them. I don't see the point of priming yourself for the league anymore, given you enter a 2nd league in the provincials. The likes of Wexford and Clare who clearly set the league as their target could be well out of steam by the time a provincial final rolls around, whereas the likes of ourselves will be only just getting going.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 216 - 29/03/2018 10:45:14    2089273

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Fair comment, Townee. Festy seems to be concerned about 'one in a row' taunts there. Wouldn't the bulk of teams love to be dealing with a one in a row taunt in 2020? I should think so. I wonder what the 'one in a row' taunts were like in 1924? Lads licking the quill, and writing into the Connacht Tribune, saying twud be 57 years before we'd win another one. One in a row taunts indeed!

Galway 33pts, 29pts, 22pts, 26pts v Offaly, Wexford, Tipp & Waterford in last year's championship, so TeamGilly is not the only one that have/had cause for concern about our lack of goalscoring prowess."
Fair points all round, and yes while there are plenty of counties who would love to be able to brag about 'one in a row', maybe it's greed on my behalf, as I think that we are more than good enough to win at least one if not two more All Irelands with this current squad, we should be striking while the iron is hot. I thought Joe Connolly's comments after the All Ireland were very apt, where he basically stated "It's our own fault in Galway. We have sat back and taken it. We have sleep-walked through about 30 years in Galway, I believe. We haven't been at the races as regards preparation and whatever like that. We haven't been ambitious enough, we haven't been hungry enough in Galway. We're a rich county, there's plenty of employment in Galway, there's two third-level institutions. We have superb structures in clubs. We have a quarter of a million of a population. We shouldn't be picking up All-Irelands every 30 years and the reason we haven't is that it's our own fault.
From my point of view I know that no county has a god given right to win the All Ireland, and god do we know in Galway how hard it is, prior to last year I had attended eight All Ireland's where we lost (85, 86, 90, 93, 01, 05, 12 & 15). So basically my point and Joe's point is that Galway need to drive on, become greedier, and not be happy with one in a row, brilliant and all as last September was. Anyway this is probably a discussion or not that needs to be kept for September when the season is over, and we're hopefully talking about the three in a row prospects :)

gilly0512 (Galway) - Posts: 1176 - 29/03/2018 12:38:42    2089310

Link

We will be primed for championship. Micheal knows what he is doing and is targeting the tail end of the championship for the team to come right. Gaillimh abu and hopefully another long summer ahead

philip3 (Galway) - Posts: 190 - 04/04/2018 12:50:13    2090998

Link