Dublin Forum

Shove Up In The Bed Pat Spillane!

(Oldest Posts First)

Pat Spillane, Páidí Ó Sé, Micky Sheehy, Ogie Moran and Ger Power won 8 All-Ireland medals each for Kerry.

They've to make room now for a group of Dublin players who have joined them tonight.

Stephen Cluxton
Michael Fitzsimons
James McCarthy
Philly McMahon
Mick McAuley
Kevin McManoman
Cian O'Sullivan

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13240 - 19/12/2020 22:11:47    2324205

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "Pat Spillane, Páidí Ó Sé, Micky Sheehy, Ogie Moran and Ger Power won 8 All-Ireland medals each for Kerry.

They've to make room now for a group of Dublin players who have joined them tonight.

Stephen Cluxton
Michael Fitzsimons
James McCarthy
Philly McMahon
Mick McAuley
Kevin McManoman
Cian O'Sullivan"
Is Paddy Andrews still involved or has he retired? AFAIK he had 7 also before this year.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 149 - 20/12/2020 02:21:45    2324335

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "Is Paddy Andrews still involved or has he retired? AFAIK he had 7 also before this year."
Paddy was on the pitch during the after match celebrations along with Cian O'Sullivan, who had a hamstring injury.
Both were still involved and on the panel this year, as was Rory O'Carroll. MDMA was a sub yesterday.

This was Paddy's 7th All Ireland senior winner's medal.

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 3337 - 20/12/2020 10:32:09    2324415

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "Is Paddy Andrews still involved or has he retired? AFAIK he had 7 also before this year."
Paddy Andrews wasn't in the panel in 2011.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13240 - 20/12/2020 11:08:37    2324443

Link

Fair achievement, first off congratulations, I know a lot of sniping goes on on various pages and decent threads are often distorted or destroyed by wums with no genuine interest in football.

Regardless of what people's opinions are on funding or aids off the pitch the truth is the above players are in a unique bracket due to their achievements - so genuinely, hats off.

Can I ask, of the Dublin players listed above, how many played every minute of the respective eight all Ireland finals, I know of Kerry's golden five, injuries prevented a few from lining out in full games and to the best of my knowledge only Oige played in every minute of this 75-86 finals.

How many above played in every minute?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5068 - 20/12/2020 11:38:27    2324469

Link

Fair achievement, first off congratulations, I know a lot of sniping goes on on various pages and decent threads are often distorted or destroyed by wums with no genuine interest in football.

Regardless of what people's opinions are on funding or aids off the pitch the truth is the above players are in a unique bracket due to their achievements - so genuinely, hats off.

Can I ask, of the Dublin players listed above, how many played every minute of the respective eight all Ireland finals, I know of Kerry's golden five, injuries prevented a few from lining out in full games and to the best of my knowledge only Oige played in every minute of this 75-86 finals.

How many above played in every minute?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5068 - 20/12/2020 11:40:12    2324471

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Fair achievement, first off congratulations, I know a lot of sniping goes on on various pages and decent threads are often distorted or destroyed by wums with no genuine interest in football.

How many above played in every minute?"
Cluxton and McCarthy for sure. Perhaps Fitzsimons but cant be sure. O'Sullivan plagued with injuries.

Jackeen (Dublin) - Posts: 4014 - 20/12/2020 11:59:30    2324487

Link

Replying To Jackeen:  "Cluxton and McCarthy for sure. Perhaps Fitzsimons but cant be sure. O'Sullivan plagued with injuries."
Fitzy had a year or two under Gavin when he wasn't first choice, but going from memory. I think we went Rory, Jonny and Philly in maybe a couple of finals, certainly 1, before Rory went on his jollies.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3904 - 20/12/2020 12:39:14    2324507

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Fair achievement, first off congratulations, I know a lot of sniping goes on on various pages and decent threads are often distorted or destroyed by wums with no genuine interest in football.

cluxton only id guess

Stmunnsriver (Wexford) - Posts: 1970 - 20/12/2020 14:13:56    2324567

Link

Cluxton the only player to play every minute of every one of the 8 finals.

James McCarthy was black carded in one of the 2016 finals iirc.

Fitzsimons have always been first choice.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13240 - 20/12/2020 15:42:20    2324619

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "Cluxton the only player to play every minute of every one of the 8 finals.

James McCarthy was black carded in one of the 2016 finals iirc.

Fitzsimons have always been first choice."
Not so Mes, 2013 + 2016 Jonny, Rory, Philly were the starting backs.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3904 - 20/12/2020 16:16:09    2324644

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "Not so Mes, 2013 + 2016 Jonny, Rory, Philly were the starting backs."
You're dead right of course.

My post should have read 'Fitzsimons hasn't always been first choice'

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13240 - 20/12/2020 17:41:43    2324686

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "You're dead right of course.

My post should have read 'Fitzsimons hasn't always been first choice'"
Which is mad when you think how important he has been in recent years, even in 2011, I always wondered why Jim never took a shine to him early on.

Think he didn't even make the match day squad in 13, fair play to him he hung in there that spell and came out a legend of the game.

Remember Kevin O Brien, was knocking around to, he just disappeared after a bad injury I think playing Singerson, never really came back. Prob coincided with Davy coming through.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 3904 - 20/12/2020 18:25:44    2324723

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "Which is mad when you think how important he has been in recent years, even in 2011, I always wondered why Jim never took a shine to him early on.

Think he didn't even make the match day squad in 13, fair play to him he hung in there that spell and came out a legend of the game.

Remember Kevin O Brien, was knocking around to, he just disappeared after a bad injury I think playing Singerson, never really came back. Prob coincided with Davy coming through."
Kevin O'Brien got roasted in the 2013 semi-final against Kerry in the first half. Philly on at half time to soften the Kerry forwards coughs and the rest is history. O'Brien got a bad injury not long after and never really got back into it.

I think Fitzsimons lost out under Jim initially because Jim felt he wasn't a good enough ball player so the likes of Cooper were seen as the better fits for the type of ball Jim wanted to play.

Fitz also had a couple of bad games in the league during 2013 as well which put him behind in the pecking order a bit.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13240 - 20/12/2020 20:17:11    2324796

Link

Replying To Jackeen:  "Cluxton and McCarthy for sure. Perhaps Fitzsimons but cant be sure. O'Sullivan plagued with injuries."
I think Cluxton stands alone here. Mccarthy went off injured in 11 and think he black carded in another. Don't think Fitzsimmons played all either. Cluxton started and finished every final. A great feat for a great man.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1439 - 20/12/2020 21:29:13    2324838

Link

Slainte horsebox

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7883 - 21/12/2020 01:50:57    2324929

Link

Some achievement alright.
Hard to believe it would happen for all those barren years. We're blessed with the success these players have worked so hard to deliver.
Hats of to them all.

Dubh_linn (Dublin) - Posts: 2234 - 10/01/2021 16:06:22    2326892

Link

Unfortunately Paddy Andrews wont be joining this elite group of 8 AI Medals:-

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0114/1189647-seven-time-champ-andrews-calls-time-on-dublin-career/

Fionn (Dublin) - Posts: 3337 - 14/01/2021 10:20:27    2327356

Link

Paddy Andrews:- Part of this years squad and gets his 7th All Ireland Medal...

As per Official Dublin GAA Twitter:-
Dublin GAA
@DubGAAOfficial

·

12 years in Blue T-shirt

7 All-Ireland SFC titles Trophy
11 Leinster SFC titles Trophy
5 National Football Leagues Trophy

Thanks for the memories,
@PaddyAMetis
Blue heart

#ThanksPaddy