Monaghan Forum

El Clasico 2020 Monaghan Vs Cavan

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Right guys the league is over and we have successfully retained division one football for 2021,time to move on to the big one!!!! So what's your thoughts????? New Message

Right guys the league is over and we have successfully retained division one football for 2021,time to move on to the big one!!!! So what's your thoughts?????

McFight (Monaghan) - Posts: 12 - 27/10/2020 18:59:47    2302211

Link

Need to get back to the form we were in from The start of the league,

Because its Cavan who will be up for it I think it'll be a tough one and won't be let play the way we want to, it's going to be a dogfight. As Donaghy said Cavan played their card in a sense last year when beating us so should be no surprises this weekend,

Need to set the tone from the off and make them being the ones to get the match up rights, win at all costs in Clones. Our own turf

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 702 - 27/10/2020 19:18:38    2302222

Link

Team for Sunday

Beggan
Duffy Boyle Wylie
Karl Kelly mc anespie

Darren Kieran

Ward bannigan Malone
Carey mc manus mc carthy

If niall kearns is fit he starts.

I can see dessie ward picking up Martin Reilly from the start and doing a spoiler job on him

Boyle on Madden
Mc anespie picking up Conroy
Kelly on mc Kiernan

Carey will start due to his tackling and work rate. His tackling and work rate is what keeps him in the teamand can't see banty leaving that experience on the bench. Malone starts for obvious reasons.

Woods could possibly push into the team. One of mc carthy or woods have to start for frees off the left and to be honest don't be surprised to see woods take that spot, given how harsh banty has been on mc carthy in recent games.

In the last few games I have been unimpressed by the scoring levels of our defence, earlier in the year we seemed to have Boyle and bannigan scoring at leisure from there and I would rather bannigan half.back than mc anespie and I believe Ryan is far more effective in a half forward role and bannigan thrives running from deep.

A lot will come down to dessie ward and whoever marks mc Kiernan. We keep Reilly and mc Kiernan quiet we win.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 215 - 27/10/2020 20:00:29    2302246

Link

Even the years we beat cavan in ulster we never started well just last year was atrocious for an entire half so too much to do in the end.

We need to start well in this game get on the front foot and stamp our authority on match as cavan wont be in a good spot after relegation otherwise will become a dog fight which cavan will relish and grow into. Id be worried if that happened as cant see mcmanus kicking 1-8 on Saturday and not sure where else in the team we would find scores from if we end up playing catch up again. Id get andrew woods or Kieran Hughes up to support mcmanus as he needs support and can't do all the ball winning by himself up there with the inevitable 2 or 3 lads hanging out of him.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1510 - 27/10/2020 21:23:00    2302277

Link

Yes, we have a huge problem in where the scores can come from. Who on the team would you put your house on to score 2 points or more on any given day, aside from Himself? The fact that Beggan is probably the most likely says everything about our lack of firepower.

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 398 - 27/10/2020 22:26:43    2302296

Link

I think Mickey Graham is somewhat of the opinion that Faulkner is the man to keep Mc Manus quiet and that Killian Clarke will play in front of him at 6. Faulkner did do a job on him in previous encounters but McManus wasn't fully fit especially in Blaney a couple of years ago. Is Faulkner fully fit, add to that the pressure that will be put on him in his first real start, it's a gamble.
The weather will be a major factor here with wind and rain forecast, kickouts may take a more traditional route. Clean catching will be a rarity though. Malone must start to win ugly ball in the middle third, I would man mark Mc Kiernan and young Smith (their best prospect) as scores from long range could well decide this. In this regard I expect Mc Manus and Beggan to get enough with a mix of other scorers chipping in we should do it. Beggan could knock over a couple of long ones.

Strange how little debate there is on here about this game, it seems only a certain narrative is allowed in recent times

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 830 - 28/10/2020 23:52:00    2302704

Link

Giving a wet tramp of a day Saturday. It might suit Monaghans old lads. Assuming for a minute Niall Kearns is ready I would start with

Beggan
Duffy
Boyle
Ryan wylie
Kelly
Drew
OConnell
Kearns
DHughes
Dessie Ward
McCarthy
McAnespie
McGuinness
Woods
McManus

Woods to centre forward into the wind. Or out to the middle with malone starting if Kearns is out. Drew has to start to free up Kelly for a marking role. McAnespie to stem the runs of CBrady and put some pace in the half forwards. Goals will decide this so Chris McGunness goes from the start. Ohanlon did well enough the last day, he gets a chance later on. Bannigan as a runner also. Kieran Hughes on the bench as the big card to play. Shane Carey, OToole and Lavelle as cover.

Kearns really is the key.

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 737 - 29/10/2020 23:59:38    2302988

Link

Replying To Eddie the Exile:  "Giving a wet tramp of a day Saturday. It might suit Monaghans old lads. Assuming for a minute Niall Kearns is ready I would start with

Beggan
Duffy
Boyle
Ryan wylie
Kelly
Drew
OConnell
Kearns
DHughes
Dessie Ward
McCarthy
McAnespie
McGuinness
Woods
McManus

Woods to centre forward into the wind. Or out to the middle with malone starting if Kearns is out. Drew has to start to free up Kelly for a marking role. McAnespie to stem the runs of CBrady and put some pace in the half forwards. Goals will decide this so Chris McGunness goes from the start. Ohanlon did well enough the last day, he gets a chance later on. Bannigan as a runner also. Kieran Hughes on the bench as the big card to play. Shane Carey, OToole and Lavelle as cover.

Kearns really is the key."
Bannigan played the 2 league games. He will start and Kieran Hughes played 1 and a half of them so he will start too. Can't just drop drew into the team with just 10 minutes game time from 2 games and possibly the same with kearns. I would love to win this and then give drew and kearns a full game next week and then the competition for places would get interesting. As it stands the men who have got game time the last 2 games will get the game time tomorrow.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 215 - 30/10/2020 13:43:59    2303079

Link

If Seamus's best effort of motivating the players is calling out last years performance as embarrassing then God help us. He seems to have forgotten the U20 performance in Breffni which he overseen. Should he try a similar tactic this afternoon of lumping the ball into the full forward line at every opportunity we will be in trouble.

The players themselves know last years performance wasnt good enough but to call it embarrassing is grossly unfair and seems like a cheap shot at the previous management team.

This years management had freshen things up by all accounts regarding conditioning, different training methods and the introduction of some fresh faces and they have to be commended but Seamus's comments this week were unwarranted.

Cavan minus McVitty should tip the scales but it will be close.

Monaghan by 2.

XmanMonaghan1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 7 - 31/10/2020 06:35:11    2303235

Link

I take your point monaghanmad but I think a half fit kearns hasta be considered in knock out football.

However if he's not available my starting 15 is

Beggan
Duffy Boyle wylie
Oconnel Kelly bannigan
Hughes Hughes
Mcanespie Mccarthy ward
Malone mcguinness mcmanus

Still a great starting 15 even without kearns and should be plenty to sweep cavan aside

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 106 - 31/10/2020 08:08:06    2303239

Link

Replying To XmanMonaghan1:  "If Seamus's best effort of motivating the players is calling out last years performance as embarrassing then God help us. He seems to have forgotten the U20 performance in Breffni which he overseen. Should he try a similar tactic this afternoon of lumping the ball into the full forward line at every opportunity we will be in trouble.

The players themselves know last years performance wasnt good enough but to call it embarrassing is grossly unfair and seems like a cheap shot at the previous management team.

This years management had freshen things up by all accounts regarding conditioning, different training methods and the introduction of some fresh faces and they have to be commended but Seamus's comments this week were unwarranted.

Monaghan by 2."
Motivation banty style we will know by 3pm whether it worked or not. I agree through cheap shot at malachy although it was pretty bad last year.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1510 - 31/10/2020 09:40:00    2303246

Link

Replying To XmanMonaghan1:  "If Seamus's best effort of motivating the players is calling out last years performance as embarrassing then God help us. He seems to have forgotten the U20 performance in Breffni which he overseen. Should he try a similar tactic this afternoon of lumping the ball into the full forward line at every opportunity we will be in trouble.

Monaghan by 2."
Maybe tailor your expectations in accordance to what you have rather than what you want. Was an odd comment considering most of the players are still in situ. So long as Mc Manus is committed to the cause the mood must be good in camp. That's what's important.
Windy out, will play a huge role if it doesn't die down

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 830 - 31/10/2020 10:29:15    2303258

Link

Windy day. Do we go with putting the ball down for beggan and mc manus to kick from 50/60m, I think we should and that will play a big role in winning the game. A goal will be massive. Cavan got the early goal last year and we can't afford that today in these conditions. Playing with the wind in first half or second half will be a big big call and potentially a match winning call.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 215 - 31/10/2020 11:46:32    2303278

Link

When Banty has achieved what MOR has with Monaghan, he can take all the shots he likes. Until then he would be better keeping his mind and his mouth on his own job.

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 398 - 31/10/2020 12:10:23    2303288

Link

Should really be winning this one comfortably. Cavan team looks like a division 3 outfit.

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 89 - 31/10/2020 12:19:20    2303292

Link

Not at my house today so no access to sky....is game on Monaghan GAA tv?

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 1793 - 31/10/2020 12:26:56    2303295

Link

Strong team named, big boost to have Kearns and Walshe back on the bench too, hopefully able to make appearances.

I like the look of the attack, good scoring potential along with the lads needed to graft around the middle. Still potential for changes of course but I'd be happy with that team remaining unchanged.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 875 - 31/10/2020 12:50:16    2303303

Link

HT: a lot of attacking intent after a sluggish start.
O'Hanlon & McCarthy could be in the goals before the end.
Can't be complacent with the wind.
More of the same please.

Hon.

Knoxboya (Monaghan) - Posts: 291 - 31/10/2020 14:11:18    2303311

Link

The worst 35 minutes I have ever seen from a Monaghan team bar none

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 830 - 31/10/2020 14:56:49    2303321

Link

This is where the manager sucks his thumb and wishes it was over

stoneygrey (Monaghan) - Posts: 134 - 31/10/2020 15:05:45    2303328

Link