Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

There has been a lot of talk this week saying Limerick should have 3 in a row. While we didn't land the big one in 2019 we had some of our best performances just like last Sunday. We also had a few games though where the boys were flat. The first day out against Cork we hadn't a game under the belts (refuse to believe Cork have our number as stated in some quarters) but the lads weren't at the races. While we quickly avenged the Tipp match it was too late by the time we got going against Kilkenny. Overall like Kiely said himself we were too inconsistent.
After 2018 where the lads were months going to schools etc, the boys still delivered a fantastic Munster final. That game against Tipp and the earlier one against Clare in particular showed that we have some team. The intensity levels were through the roof.
All I'm saying is let's not look back like it was a lost year because it wouldn't do that Munster medal (which is a rare enough thing) any justice.
While the Kilkenny loss was particularly hard to take, I think it made Kiely and kinnerk re-evaluate. Gillane was still the spearhead on Sunday but he was well supported. A much better all round attack which will stand to us down the track. 2018 and 2020 absolutely majestic. 2019 a mixed bag but still worth it.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 18/12/2020 06:46:08    2323333

Link

Replying To Mads:  "There has been a lot of talk this week saying Limerick should have 3 in a row. While we didn't land the big one in 2019 we had some of our best performances just like last Sunday. We also had a few games though where the boys were flat. The first day out against Cork we hadn't a game under the belts (refuse to believe Cork have our number as stated in some quarters) but the lads weren't at the races. While we quickly avenged the Tipp match it was too late by the time we got going against Kilkenny. Overall like Kiely said himself we were too inconsistent.
After 2018 where the lads were months going to schools etc, the boys still delivered a fantastic Munster final. That game against Tipp and the earlier one against Clare in particular showed that we have some team. The intensity levels were through the roof.
All I'm saying is let's not look back like it was a lost year because it wouldn't do that Munster medal (which is a rare enough thing) any justice.
While the Kilkenny loss was particularly hard to take, I think it made Kiely and kinnerk re-evaluate. Gillane was still the spearhead on Sunday but he was well supported. A much better all round attack which will stand to us down the track. 2018 and 2020 absolutely majestic. 2019 a mixed bag but still worth it."
I'm pretty sure that even Kiely would accept that Limerick "screwed up" the semi-final against KK last year. We played the first half with effectively 14 players. I don't wish to trawl over old wounds. Mistakes were made which is human and and we move on. But I think that it really hurt particularly the management team and it gave them massive motivation into 2020.

It appears at the moment that the county scene will precede the club championship in 2021 so I'm expecting a fast turnaround for everyone into that new season. It seems to me that the majority of the top countries are very competitive versus each other but Limerick are out on their own ahead of the chasing pack. I think it's going to be almost impossible for anyone of them to catch up to us in that timeframe so I'd reckon that we're odds on to repeat again in 2021 in a championship that will probably be played under Covid restrictions.

This is a magnificent team. It's the best Limerick team that I've ever seen and I have recall back to 1980. I see no reason why they cannot go on to be regarded as one of the best teams in hurling although it will be asking more than a lot to pass out the utter dominance of the KK team of the mid to late 2000's. They are a credit to Limerick in every respect. The ask now is to maximize their advantage and opportunity as the clock keeps ticking on and you know that these circumstances will not last forever. I suspect that Cork are starting to move in the right direction and I'd reckon that they will win an All Ireland ahead of either Tipp or KK.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 745 - 18/12/2020 11:02:14    2323362

Link

Replying To Mads:  "There has been a lot of talk this week saying Limerick should have 3 in a row. While we didn't land the big one in 2019 we had some of our best performances just like last Sunday. We also had a few games though where the boys were flat. The first day out against Cork we hadn't a game under the belts (refuse to believe Cork have our number as stated in some quarters) but the lads weren't at the races. While we quickly avenged the Tipp match it was too late by the time we got going against Kilkenny. Overall like Kiely said himself we were too inconsistent.
While the Kilkenny loss was particularly hard to take, I think it made Kiely and kinnerk re-evaluate. Gillane was still the spearhead on Sunday but he was well supported. A much better all round attack which will stand to us down the track. 2018 and 2020 absolutely majestic. 2019 a mixed bag but still worth it."
Biggest mistake of all against Kilkenny was not playing Flanagan. We have to look forward now and we should take a leaf out of Cody's book we need to introduce new players to the panel and hopefully 2 players will put their hands up for team places. Need to keep things fresh especially if season changes to the second half of the year which with Covid is more than likely. It's v hard to get to the top and everyone involved deserves huge credit . Next challenge is to stay there and we appear to have personnel both on and off the field who are up to that challenge.

welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 720 - 19/12/2020 06:29:14    2323636

Link

Replying To welpastit:  "Biggest mistake of all against Kilkenny was not playing Flanagan. We have to look forward now and we should take a leaf out of Cody's book we need to introduce new players to the panel and hopefully 2 players will put their hands up for team places. Need to keep things fresh especially if season changes to the second half of the year which with Covid is more than likely. It's v hard to get to the top and everyone involved deserves huge credit . Next challenge is to stay there and we appear to have personnel both on and off the field who are up to that challenge."
It was definitely our biggest mistake, but not bringing on Dowling sooner and putting him on full frontal free taking duties, both long and short was also an error. However as I have said before no team that ever regained an All Ireland after more than a ten year lapse have retained it the following year, except Wexford in '56 and they were a vastly experienced team. However am I the only who when Mike Casey and Ritchie English were declared out for the year and on hearing that Shane had to retire, decided just to write off this year and look forward to 2021. Considering the changes that had to be made it was some achievement. Whenever again I hear an old KK supporter, and I did as late as last years Semi Final, go about their injuries in '73, I will be ready for him.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2706 - 19/12/2020 09:54:42    2323654

Link

Replying To welpastit:  "Biggest mistake of all against Kilkenny was not playing Flanagan. We have to look forward now and we should take a leaf out of Cody's book we need to introduce new players to the panel and hopefully 2 players will put their hands up for team places. Need to keep things fresh especially if season changes to the second half of the year which with Covid is more than likely. It's v hard to get to the top and everyone involved deserves huge credit . Next challenge is to stay there and we appear to have personnel both on and off the field who are up to that challenge."
Oh hell I am slipping. I also forget David Dempsey, the man who tormented the Galway defence in the League and was injured in a challenge game against the same county, who was also missing . More ammunition for the eagerly anticipated Noreside assault. Bring it on, I say.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2706 - 19/12/2020 09:59:30    2323657

Link

Was looking back at this amazing achievement and the one thing that struck me was the number of leaders in the squad

Most great teams have leaders on most lines of the pitch but limerick is very close to having an absolute leader in every position.

During the water breaks over the course of the last few games you cans see different players speaking. I think it was Nickie Quaid and Diarmuid Burns spoke in the second water break last week - Nickie is normally a pretty quiet guy off the pitch.

We all know Sean Fin is a natural leader
Dan - what a man. From having a bad experience at FB previously he stood up to having an All Star year.
Declan - could run for president as someone said on twitter
Kyle - another natural leader
Will & Darragh - again when we need them to stand up they are the first to do so
Hego, Cian & Tom - I need say no more
Aaron, Peter Seamus and Graeme - again all leaders.
Barry Nash isn't a stalwart in the the team that long but I think he will grow as a leader for next season.

Then we have others to come back in like Ritchie, Mike Cassy, Tom Condon.

The other thing I find so amazing is how eloquent, articulate and humble they all come across in the national media. Hell of a lot more pressure than being intertied by Joe Nash (no disrespect)

So I think we are in great hands for a while and I'd like to think this bunch and backroom team for all the amazing thrills they continue to give us.

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 294 - 19/12/2020 13:51:48    2323734

Link

Replying To Seeking_silver:  "Was looking back at this amazing achievement and the one thing that struck me was the number of leaders in the squad

Most great teams have leaders on most lines of the pitch but limerick is very close to having an absolute leader in every position.

During the water breaks over the course of the last few games you cans see different players speaking. I think it was Nickie Quaid and Diarmuid Burns spoke in the second water break last week - Nickie is normally a pretty quiet guy off the pitch.

We all know Sean Fin is a natural leader
Dan - what a man. From having a bad experience at FB previously he stood up to having an All Star year.
Declan - could run for president as someone said on twitter
Kyle - another natural leader
Will & Darragh - again when we need them to stand up they are the first to do so
Hego, Cian & Tom - I need say no more
Aaron, Peter Seamus and Graeme - again all leaders.
Barry Nash isn't a stalwart in the the team that long but I think he will grow as a leader for next season.

Then we have others to come back in like Ritchie, Mike Cassy, Tom Condon.

The other thing I find so amazing is how eloquent, articulate and humble they all come across in the national media. Hell of a lot more pressure than being intertied by Joe Nash (no disrespect)

So I think we are in great hands for a while and I'd like to think this bunch and backroom team for all the amazing thrills they continue to give us."
Great post. I really enjoyed reading that.

slayer (Limerick) - Posts: 6218 - 20/12/2020 08:45:41    2324358

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "It was definitely our biggest mistake, but not bringing on Dowling sooner and putting him on full frontal free taking duties, both long and short was also an error. However as I have said before no team that ever regained an All Ireland after more than a ten year lapse have retained it the following year, except Wexford in '56 and they were a vastly experienced team. However am I the only who when Mike Casey and Ritchie English were declared out for the year and on hearing that Shane had to retire, decided just to write off this year and look forward to 2021. Considering the changes that had to be made it was some achievement. Whenever again I hear an old KK supporter, and I did as late as last years Semi Final, go about their injuries in '73, I will be ready for him."
Never actually heard that from Kilkenny folk but worked in Clare many moons ago and they never failed to remind me about our 73 all Ireland being tainted as Kilkenny were missing nine players and that 74 put the record straight etc.

Then I watched the 73 final on DVD and realised nobody would have beaten Limerck that day especially the way Richie Bennis played.

As good as Kilkenny were then too I'm sure they'd have taken Eamonn Cregan with open arms.

slayer (Limerick) - Posts: 6218 - 20/12/2020 08:50:14    2324359

Link

Replying To slayer:  "Never actually heard that from Kilkenny folk but worked in Clare many moons ago and they never failed to remind me about our 73 all Ireland being tainted as Kilkenny were missing nine players and that 74 put the record straight etc.

Then I watched the 73 final on DVD and realised nobody would have beaten Limerck that day especially the way Richie Bennis played.

As good as Kilkenny were then too I'm sure they'd have taken Eamonn Cregan with open arms."
That was pure Clare rubbish. Kilkenny were missing four players and not nine. There were Eddie Keher, Kieran Purcell, Jim Treacy and Eamon Morrissey. Morrissey had arranged to emigrate to Australia early in the year on a date between that years Leinster Final and the All Ireland Final - why Kilkenny played him that year I do not know. Puircell came on in the second half and Jim Treacys absence did not make much of a difference, as Frankie Nolan opened the scoring in both finals and ended getting three points from play in each final. As regards Eddie Keher, Phil Bennis would have been on him that day and he never gave him an inch- few could mark him better. When asked how he could always over shadow the great Keher, Phil simply said 'anywhere he would go I would be there before him'. Now that we have done away with the missing KK nine men lunacy let us turn our attention to who Limerick were missing. Mickey Graham, possibly the most versatile hurler this county has ever produced broke his leg in the League Final and was out and never played with the county again. Leonard Enright, RIP, would not give the necessary commitment to training as he was involved in other sports and was thus unavailable. At 27 years of age he committed to hurling with Limerick and went on to win win three All Stars, when winning them meant something. He was Full Back from '80 and for nine years seldom put a foot wrong and many considered him a better Full Back that Pat Hartigan. In 1988 at the close of all their days Leonard and Two '73 panelists Pat Herbert and Paudie Fitzmaurice, all three past now their mid thirties, took on the crack Tipp' Famine ending' Full Forward line, including Fox and English, and despite Limerick being in serious trouble throughout the game, Tommy Quaid's citadel never fell, such was the commanding display of each of the three veterans. The same line scored four goals against against a new FBL in '89. Now lets move to Jim O'Donnell. Jim had broken his leg in '71 and took a long time to recover, but was back for the Munster Semi Final in '73 V Clare. Ask your Clare friends of such sainted powers of recall how Jim played. He was by a country mile the best man on the field. Jim aggravated the old injury early in the Munster Final and had to go off He never played for Limerick, though he was only 28. Mick O'Loughlin, of Kilteely the best corner back at the was also missing. He could not give the time to Mickey Cregans training regime. So that was four fine Lmerick hurlers missing and the following year all four were also missing in addition to Mossie Dowling, Phil Bennis, and Bertie Hartigan so the argument of the score being settled the following year is nonsense. Anyway does Limerick beating Clare in '96 take one iota from their '95 All Ireland win.
Sometime I will tell younger readers about the nine- yes nine- players Limerick were missing in '81 against Galway

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2706 - 20/12/2020 19:27:54    2324761

Link

A great week to be a Limerick hurling final. An outstanding senior team giving us a second Liam McCarthy in 3 years. A great minor team beating Tipp in a Munster final to win back to back Munster titles. I watched the final back mid-week, what a performance. I felt so relaxed prior to the final and every Limerick fan feels strange when that happens. But the team were awesome. I would have given Tom Morrissey MOTM, I think he was the man on the day and got on some amount of ball. But Georoid had an outstanding year and should get the HOTY award. I felt that performance was coming all year and it came on the best day of all. A lovely Christmas to look forward to and a huge thank you to all involved.

The turnaround is so short to next year that we have a great chance of back to back All Irelands. What a prospect!! The team seem so clued in and focused that it is seriously possible. The biggest dangers will be Galway and Clare imo. Both of them, playing well, will give us the most trouble. But I'd back Limerick against anyone and on their day, they will beat every team in the country.

limerick_lass (Limerick) - Posts: 37 - 20/12/2020 22:48:19    2324890

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "That was pure Clare rubbish. Kilkenny were missing four players and not nine. There were Eddie Keher, Kieran Purcell, Jim Treacy and Eamon Morrissey. Morrissey had arranged to emigrate to Australia early in the year on a date between that years Leinster Final and the All Ireland Final - why Kilkenny played him that year I do not know. Puircell came on in the second half and Jim Treacys absence did not make much of a difference, as Frankie Nolan opened the scoring in both finals and ended getting three points from play in each final. As regards Eddie Keher, Phil Bennis would have been on him that day and he never gave him an inch- few could mark him better. When asked how he could always over shadow the great Keher, Phil simply said 'anywhere he would go I would be there before him'. Now that we have done away with the missing KK nine men lunacy let us turn our attention to who Limerick were missing. Mickey Graham, possibly the most versatile hurler this county has ever produced broke his leg in the League Final and was out and never played with the county again. Leonard Enright, RIP, would not give the necessary commitment to training as he was involved in other sports and was thus unavailable. At 27 years of age he committed to hurling with Limerick and went on to win win three All Stars, when winning them meant something. He was Full Back from '80 and for nine years seldom put a foot wrong and many considered him a better Full Back that Pat Hartigan. In 1988 at the close of all their days Leonard and Two '73 panelists Pat Herbert and Paudie Fitzmaurice, all three past now their mid thirties, took on the crack Tipp' Famine ending' Full Forward line, including Fox and English, and despite Limerick being in serious trouble throughout the game, Tommy Quaid's citadel never fell, such was the commanding display of each of the three veterans. The same line scored four goals against against a new FBL in '89. Now lets move to Jim O'Donnell. Jim had broken his leg in '71 and took a long time to recover, but was back for the Munster Semi Final in '73 V Clare. Ask your Clare friends of such sainted powers of recall how Jim played. He was by a country mile the best man on the field. Jim aggravated the old injury early in the Munster Final and had to go off He never played for Limerick, though he was only 28. Mick O'Loughlin, of Kilteely the best corner back at the was also missing. He could not give the time to Mickey Cregans training regime. So that was four fine Lmerick hurlers missing and the following year all four were also missing in addition to Mossie Dowling, Phil Bennis, and Bertie Hartigan so the argument of the score being settled the following year is nonsense. Anyway does Limerick beating Clare in '96 take one iota from their '95 All Ireland win.
Sometime I will tell younger readers about the nine- yes nine- players Limerick were missing in '81 against Galway"
Great Post Oltourman,nice to see the record being set straight.I have heard the argument about KK missing players in '73 a lot over the years,what a great riposte is yours,pity I didn't have your knowledge about the missing Limerickmen,knew Mickey Graham though, but better late than never...I will be seeing a few hurling friends in 2021 hopefully and among them some Tipp lads that haven't much regard for Limerick hurling!

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 640 - 20/12/2020 23:59:07    2324922

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "That was pure Clare rubbish. Kilkenny were missing four players and not nine. There were Eddie Keher, Kieran Purcell, Jim Treacy and Eamon Morrissey. Morrissey had arranged to emigrate to Australia early in the year on a date between that years Leinster Final and the All Ireland Final - why Kilkenny played him that year I do not know. Puircell came on in the second half and Jim Treacys absence did not make much of a difference, as Frankie Nolan opened the scoring in both finals and ended getting three points from play in each final. As regards Eddie Keher, Phil Bennis would have been on him that day and he never gave him an inch- few could mark him better. When asked how he could always over shadow the great Keher, Phil simply said 'anywhere he would go I would be there before him'. Now that we have done away with the missing KK nine men lunacy let us turn our attention to who Limerick were missing. Mickey Graham, possibly the most versatile hurler this county has ever produced broke his leg in the League Final and was out and never played with the county again. Leonard Enright, RIP, would not give the necessary commitment to training as he was involved in other sports and was thus unavailable. At 27 years of age he committed to hurling with Limerick and went on to win win three All Stars, when winning them meant something. He was Full Back from '80 and for nine years seldom put a foot wrong and many considered him a better Full Back that Pat Hartigan. In 1988 at the close of all their days Leonard and Two '73 panelists Pat Herbert and Paudie Fitzmaurice, all three past now their mid thirties, took on the crack Tipp' Famine ending' Full Forward line, including Fox and English, and despite Limerick being in serious trouble throughout the game, Tommy Quaid's citadel never fell, such was the commanding display of each of the three veterans. The same line scored four goals against against a new FBL in '89. Now lets move to Jim O'Donnell. Jim had broken his leg in '71 and took a long time to recover, but was back for the Munster Semi Final in '73 V Clare. Ask your Clare friends of such sainted powers of recall how Jim played. He was by a country mile the best man on the field. Jim aggravated the old injury early in the Munster Final and had to go off He never played for Limerick, though he was only 28. Mick O'Loughlin, of Kilteely the best corner back at the was also missing. He could not give the time to Mickey Cregans training regime. So that was four fine Lmerick hurlers missing and the following year all four were also missing in addition to Mossie Dowling, Phil Bennis, and Bertie Hartigan so the argument of the score being settled the following year is nonsense. Anyway does Limerick beating Clare in '96 take one iota from their '95 All Ireland win.
Sometime I will tell younger readers about the nine- yes nine- players Limerick were missing in '81 against Galway"
I'll try and name a few of them - Sean Foley, Mossie Carroll, Leonard Enright, Pat Herbert, David Punch, Mike Grimes from memory. I remember that we literally ran out of hurlers in the replay against Galway because we had some many injuries. I don't believe that Mike Grimes ever recovered from his knee injury that day and he was brilliant in that season.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 745 - 21/12/2020 09:59:35    2324980

Link

Replying To Dealer:  "I'll try and name a few of them - Sean Foley, Mossie Carroll, Leonard Enright, Pat Herbert, David Punch, Mike Grimes from memory. I remember that we literally ran out of hurlers in the replay against Galway because we had some many injuries. I don't believe that Mike Grimes ever recovered from his knee injury that day and he was brilliant in that season."
Johnny McCarthy and of course Pat Hartigan, who would have been still playing but for an injury earlier are two more. See

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2706 - 21/12/2020 13:19:51    2325068

Link

I have enjoyed looking at many Limerick hurling games on Youtube over the Christmas period.I have been unable to find the Limerick/Tipp Munster S/F game 2020.Anyone here have the game and can put it on YouTube.I particularly enjoy us beating Tipp.
Happy new year to all.

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 640 - 02/01/2021 13:21:03    2325782

Link

Replying To ONdeDITCH:  "I have enjoyed looking at many Limerick hurling games on Youtube over the Christmas period.I have been unable to find the Limerick/Tipp Munster S/F game 2020.Anyone here have the game and can put it on YouTube.I particularly enjoy us beating Tipp.
Happy new year to all."
I find it impossible to get All Ireland Hurling Final on-line. Can anybody advise?

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2706 - 02/01/2021 14:47:25    2325787

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "I find it impossible to get All Ireland Hurling Final on-line. Can anybody advise?"
Lk/Wat AI final YouTube...enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzppaWsbWc0

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 640 - 02/01/2021 18:55:38    2325805

Link

Does anybody know when the 2020 All Stars will be announced?

From reading different reports, the consensus is that Limerick will get 9, Waterford 3 and everyone else 3. Nicky Quaid will get the award for goalie, the 6 backs are the half forward line are nailed in and it gets tricky after that. That's 10 players picked. Tony Kelly will get an award but will it be at at corner forward or midfield? Where he get's picked if very impactful. Bennet will be in the full forward line and I believe that Cian Lynch will also be picked at center field which give you 13. I'm expecting that Waterford will get 3 All Stars and I expect that the choice will be between Barron and Gleeson. Jamie Barron was poor in the two Limerick matches so I'd lean towards Gleeson to be picked at full forward. That's 14 and now you have to decide on where to pick Tony Kelly. If he's in the forwards, WO'D gets his first All Star but if he's in midfield, Aaron Gillane will get the nod. The only other permutation is to swap WO'D for Cian Lynch which is a heresy in my view. So it's a showdown between WO'D and Gillane which is unbelievable.

The Dealer's choice is as follows:

Quaid
Finn
Morrissey
Burke
Byrnes (I though he had a fabulous championship)
De Burca
Hayes
O'Donoghue (I thought he was consistently outstanding so he gets my vote)
Lynch
Hegarty (Hurler of the Year)
Reid
Morrissey
Kelly
Gleeson
Bennett

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 745 - 07/01/2021 20:32:28    2326537

Link

Replying To Dealer:  "Does anybody know when the 2020 All Stars will be announced?

From reading different reports, the consensus is that Limerick will get 9, Waterford 3 and everyone else 3. Nicky Quaid will get the award for goalie, the 6 backs are the half forward line are nailed in and it gets tricky after that. That's 10 players picked. Tony Kelly will get an award but will it be at at corner forward or midfield? Where he get's picked if very impactful. Bennet will be in the full forward line and I believe that Cian Lynch will also be picked at center field which give you 13. I'm expecting that Waterford will get 3 All Stars and I expect that the choice will be between Barron and Gleeson. Jamie Barron was poor in the two Limerick matches so I'd lean towards Gleeson to be picked at full forward. That's 14 and now you have to decide on where to pick Tony Kelly. If he's in the forwards, WO'D gets his first All Star but if he's in midfield, Aaron Gillane will get the nod. The only other permutation is to swap WO'D for Cian Lynch which is a heresy in my view. So it's a showdown between WO'D and Gillane which is unbelievable.

The Dealer's choice is as follows:

Quaid
Finn
Morrissey
Burke
Byrnes (I though he had a fabulous championship)
De Burca
Hayes
O'Donoghue (I thought he was consistently outstanding so he gets my vote)
Lynch
Hegarty (Hurler of the Year)
Reid
Morrissey
Kelly
Gleeson
Bennett"
Fine team dealer. I'd still have Gillane in ahead of Gleeson in my full forward line. Gleeson shows his brilliance every now and then but Gillane goes out and leads the line like no other in the country imo. His ability to consistently gain possession in the full forward line and the influence he has on the team makes him a more effective player than Gleeson imo. His scoring record isn't half bad either. Put it this way would you transfer Gillane with Gleeson if it was allowed based on 2020 performances

Fitzy01 (Limerick) - Posts: 191 - 07/01/2021 22:56:51    2326564

Link

Replying To Fitzy01:  "Fine team dealer. I'd still have Gillane in ahead of Gleeson in my full forward line. Gleeson shows his brilliance every now and then but Gillane goes out and leads the line like no other in the country imo. His ability to consistently gain possession in the full forward line and the influence he has on the team makes him a more effective player than Gleeson imo. His scoring record isn't half bad either. Put it this way would you transfer Gillane with Gleeson if it was allowed based on 2020 performances"
My answer to your query is that this NOT the team that I would pick if I wanted to pick the very best team in the country right now. If we were playing an imaginary team from Mars and needed the very best hurlers on the planet right now to win a must win championship match - that's a different story and Gillane would definitely be in the XV. In fact it would be an interesting topic to pick such a team. and see how different would it be from the All Star selection.

When you're picking an All Star team, you're picking a team solely based on performance and form across the sample of the championship matches with a massive bias in favor of the All Ireland final. You also have a political factor in that any team that gets to an All Ireland is going to get 3 All Stars and I reflected that in my selection of three Waterford players. Frankly, that's the reason why I picked Gleeson. In my opinion, he was their 3rd best player and their best in the final itself. That's what created a head to head selection dilemma between WO'D and Gillane which I suspect will be played out by the All Star selectors when they pick the actual selection after they figure out where to pick Tony Kelly.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 745 - 08/01/2021 11:00:34    2326598

Link

Hi lads. Anyone know where I might get my hands on an all ireland final programme? The mother never got one

TreatyBoy (Limerick) - Posts: 98 - 08/01/2021 22:50:02    2326741

Link