Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

When I saw the post regarding Ritchie starting at corner back in the final, I thought that it was a crazy notion because he hasn't played an official match in about 8 months but the word that I'm hearing from training (for what that's worth) is that he's absolutely flying. I still don't think he will start but at this stage, I'd expect that he will have a part to play in the game.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 745 - 03/12/2020 09:39:11    2317875

Link

Replying To Dealer:  "When I saw the post regarding Ritchie starting at corner back in the final, I thought that it was a crazy notion because he hasn't played an official match in about 8 months but the word that I'm hearing from training (for what that's worth) is that he's absolutely flying. I still don't think he will start but at this stage, I'd expect that he will have a part to play in the game."
It would be some going for the lad to start. If he is flying it though we all know what a good hurler he is. Hard not to imagine him having some role in the game. Thought he might get at least 10 to 15mins match time into him before now though. It would be a massive call to start him

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 03/12/2020 11:08:13    2317898

Link

The guy won't start,not a hope. Its way too big a risk. Nash played well in the last game,very well. Hes a better distributor than English...not a better marker or defender

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1366 - 03/12/2020 19:16:49    2318000

Link

Replying To Dealer:  "When I saw the post regarding Ritchie starting at corner back in the final, I thought that it was a crazy notion because he hasn't played an official match in about 8 months but the word that I'm hearing from training (for what that's worth) is that he's absolutely flying. I still don't think he will start but at this stage, I'd expect that he will have a part to play in the game."
I did throw out the possibility of Ritchie starting corner back for some debate because I felt Kyle Hayes might be even more influential down the middle and up front.
Ritchie has been on the bench since the start but always one of the named replacements now considering the panel available I just can't see John kiely having him there for decoration, I would think he is fit. Now obviously I imagine they don't want to risk the change if its not necessary, number one because he hasn't played yet this season but number two they might not wish to risk it before a much longer season starting in what maybe six or seven weeks time.

Now if push comes to shove on the 13th it is an option, one which we are bleesed to have.
But of course as usual on here there's always one or two very quick to knock and ridicule people for putting there suggestions up here for debate.
Luckily I'm thick skinned and ignore the know alls.

jimbob50 (Limerick) - Posts: 83 - 03/12/2020 22:09:13    2318035

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "The guy won't start,not a hope. Its way too big a risk. Nash played well in the last game,very well. Hes a better distributor than English...not a better marker or defender"
Nash is excellent and very versatile but he did have a free role against Galway he was the extra man and as you say he did spread the ball well, have to see how cahil lines up the Waterford front lines.
It's just good to have options

jimbob50 (Limerick) - Posts: 83 - 03/12/2020 22:14:33    2318037

Link

Replying To jimbob50:  "Nash is excellent and very versatile but he did have a free role against Galway he was the extra man and as you say he did spread the ball well, have to see how cahil lines up the Waterford front lines.
It's just good to have options"
Absolutely. Its a very fair question. There's nothing stopping Hutchinson having a stormer and then English would definitely be needed.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1366 - 05/12/2020 00:18:37    2318392

Link

I think we might see Peter Casey start the final. All year i think kiely has been trying to get lynch WOD and DOD in his team. They are all ball winners and excellent link men. After watching the Galway match back i think DOD started well but faded badly in the physicality of the middle 3rd. I'm a huge fan of his and maybe he might not be 100% at the moment. I really feel kiely will look at the influence de burca has on the Waterford game plan. He bursts forward at every opportunity. This will need to be curtailed. How is this to be defended?? With being offensive ourselves i feel. I think peter Casey might start on the 40. He is a constant scoring threat, has excellent work rate and one of the best tacklers we have technically partly because of his size. Lynch has not the same scoring ability as Casey and lynch had an excellent munster final from midfield. Mulcahy should start the final imo as he may not be an ideal impact sub and again mul had a fine munster final. I think DOD might be used from the bench especially if gillane is fit to start which does sound like he will be. I would love to see Dempsey prove his fitness too for the 26. My team for tomorrow week.

Quaid
Finn Morrissey Nash
Byrnes Hannon Hayes
WOD Lynch
Hegarty Casey Morrissey
Gillane Flanagan Mulcahy

DoD
Reidy
Dempsey??
Ryan
Breen

To come in and finish the job.

Luimneach abu

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 495 - 05/12/2020 11:12:34    2318450

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Absolutely. Its a very fair question. There's nothing stopping Hutchinson having a stormer and then English would definitely be needed."
SEAN FINN.
How can you possibly say:
"Absolutely. Its a very fair question. There's nothing stopping Hutchinson having a stormer and then English would definitely be needed."

or " guy won't start" (previous comment)

Hutchinson snuck past Finn for a goal at the start....after that Finn shut him down.

Nice try at sowing doubt.

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 05/12/2020 11:16:42    2318451

Link

It's just an interview at the end of the day but I thought Declan Hannon's latest was superb.
When we should have gotten more scores in the first half in 2018 up stepped Declan to fire over 2 massive points while marking Canning at the same time. He has never stopped growing as a leader, the experience of tough times as hard as they were probably helped to develop him for the captain's role. His assessment of the Galway game was spot on. A couple of times reporters were trying to draw him to for soundbites but he didn't bite. it's something John Kiely doesn't have to even worry about. While he may not have had as much of an influence on the last game as he normally does (in fairness Hayes and Byrnes were taking care of things on either side) I think when the chips are down he will step up as always when required. One sight no one will ever get sick of is Hannon lifting the cup. One more Time next Sunday would be no more than the lad deserves

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 05/12/2020 12:04:32    2318458

Link

Replying To PatOLogical:  "SEAN FINN.
How can you possibly say:
"Absolutely. Its a very fair question. There's nothing stopping Hutchinson having a stormer and then English would definitely be needed."

or " guy won't start" (previous comment)

Hutchinson snuck past Finn for a goal at the start....after that Finn shut him down.

Nice try at sowing doubt."
He got no goal or even a shot at goal off Finn, he got past him once out on the wing and that was all.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2705 - 05/12/2020 12:42:43    2318471

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "He got no goal or even a shot at goal off Finn, he got past him once out on the wing and that was all."
You are right Oldtourman. I was mistaken. I watched again and Hutchinson did not get a goal. He did get past Finn at around 3:20 mark and scored a point. Finn held him after that. no easy task as Hutchinson scored freely in subsequent games. Will take watching again next week.

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 05/12/2020 21:56:29    2318857

Link

Replying To daveboy:  "I think we might see Peter Casey start the final. All year i think kiely has been trying to get lynch WOD and DOD in his team. They are all ball winners and excellent link men. After watching the Galway match back i think DOD started well but faded badly in the physicality of the middle 3rd. I'm a huge fan of his and maybe he might not be 100% at the moment. I really feel kiely will look at the influence de burca has on the Waterford game plan. He bursts forward at every opportunity. This will need to be curtailed. How is this to be defended?? With being offensive ourselves i feel. I think peter Casey might start on the 40. He is a constant scoring threat, has excellent work rate and one of the best tacklers we have technically partly because of his size. Lynch has not the same scoring ability as Casey and lynch had an excellent munster final from midfield. Mulcahy should start the final imo as he may not be an ideal impact sub and again mul had a fine munster final. I think DOD might be used from the bench especially if gillane is fit to start which does sound like he will be. I would love to see Dempsey prove his fitness too for the 26. My team for tomorrow week.

Quaid
Finn Morrissey Nash
Byrnes Hannon Hayes
WOD Lynch
Hegarty Casey Morrissey
Gillane Flanagan Mulcahy

DoD
Reidy
Dempsey??
Ryan
Breen

To come in and finish the job.

Luimneach abu"
I like it. Casey would give De Burca a challenge he hasn't faced this year.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1018 - 07/12/2020 07:20:14    2319603

Link

Replying To blackspot91:  "I like it. Casey would give De Burca a challenge he hasn't faced this year."
Casey definitely good enough to start and more than deserving of it but if he did i think it would be in the full forward line or nowhere. Flanagan can give De Burca a few hits while he is on the prowl for possession and try and upset his game plan too.

If i was a gambling man I'll say that Kiely will start Mulcahy, Flanagan, and Gillane (if fit) and introduce Casey early in the second half. Caseys impact of the bench has been immense every time and I think JK will want to keep that ace up his sleeve, the last 20 mins is winning time after all. I also think DOD will start again unless he is carrying a knock, he seemed to be going well initially last day out then totally faded so hopefully, he is fully fit.
The right calls will be made regardless.

Fitzy01 (Limerick) - Posts: 190 - 07/12/2020 10:46:38    2319669

Link

Tue before All-Ireland final and all very very quiet, good for the team but also Waterford who would probably be affected more by hype at this stage. I am guessing Gillane will be ok, just by comments from dodge etc as they didnt have much detail or pretend to know much about it - maybe thats just not letting Waterford know and plan ahead with any knowledge.

Cagey about this one, prob with it being a final and all. I think we are all round a better team and better players but on a given day - anything can happen and go against you. Our half forward line wont get the amount of scores they got the last day but that should allow for full forward line more into it and more possessions/scores. Cant allow Deise gain confidence and get a run on us like they did against KK and cant see us allowing that.

Entire country outside of Limerick will be shouting against us. Luimneach abu and go on to be considered a great team with a second AI, Declan Hannon to go lift a second Liam McCarthy and first to captain 2 since Anthony Daly.

LimkABU (Limerick) - Posts: 62 - 08/12/2020 12:54:41    2320201

Link

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/594230/limerick-boost-as-aaron-gillane-returns-to-training-ahead-of-all-ireland-hurling-final.html

Judging by this Gillane should be OK for the final.

Luimneach Abu!!

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 775 - 08/12/2020 13:52:30    2320235

Link

Bookies don't play hurling but they do know how to price risk and I see that Limerick are 3 to 1 on to win on Sunday. I'm pleased to hear of plenty of positivity coming out of Waterford because that's adding expectation pressure even if there aren't tickets and media events to factor in. I like the reality that there are a number of Limerick players going into this final with points to prove. Also management knows that the team haven't played consistently in recent games so there's scope for improvement. I'm delighted that we've gotten a game in Croke Park under our belt and I expect that the wide open spaces matches very well with our pace and mobility.

A key matchup is Aaron Gillane whose tortured Waterford in the past. I'd expect that Limerick will look to hit him high and long frequently which will probably force Waterford to site their sweeper very deep. But that creates other options and I reckon Limerick are experienced and capable enough to identify the opportunities and exploit them.

My other conundrum is as to how will Waterford push up on us - do they attack Nash and let Hannon run free as our quarterback to start counter attacks or will they push up on Hannon and let Barry Nash off the hook and to play as a spare defender?

These are big decisions that Waterford need to make My belief is that Limerick have the flexibility to adapt to whatever choices that Waterford make. Also, they now have the experience to win from the front and from behind. If the sides are level with 5 minutes to go, Limerick with the cavalry off the bench available to them should win. I'm hoping that the cavalry will include Ritchie English and David Dempsey. I thought that Mulcahy had a rotten semifinal but I'm expecting him to put that behind him on Sunday which would mean that Peter Casey will also be coming in from the bench to reinforce the final push across the line.

Nothing is ever guaranteed - big refereeing decisions can go against you, chances taken, chances not taken but if we can assume that we will get a consistent Limerick performance which should include enormous work rate and intelligent use of the ball then I'd be very confident of a positive result. I was a lot more afraid of Galway to be honest as they matched up against us very well physically and they had big time experience in Croke Park.

Of course, the consequences of losing for Limerick would be very damaging because our window to win is now and of course losing is always a possible outcome because Waterford will pose us challenges with their positive virtues. That window looks optimistic for the next three or four years but you'd prefer to be attacking that period with two victories banked as opposed to facing into 2021 with all the baggage of having lost an All Ireland that you were heavily favorite to win.

Bottom line is that I'll take a win by a last minute own goal that should have been a blatant free out right now. To quote the legendary NFL Raiders coach, Al David - "Just Win, Baby, Win".

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 745 - 08/12/2020 18:22:48    2320376

Link

Replying To LimkABU:  "Tue before All-Ireland final and all very very quiet, good for the team but also Waterford who would probably be affected more by hype at this stage. I am guessing Gillane will be ok, just by comments from dodge etc as they didnt have much detail or pretend to know much about it - maybe thats just not letting Waterford know and plan ahead with any knowledge.

Cagey about this one, prob with it being a final and all. I think we are all round a better team and better players but on a given day - anything can happen and go against you. Our half forward line wont get the amount of scores they got the last day but that should allow for full forward line more into it and more possessions/scores. Cant allow Deise gain confidence and get a run on us like they did against KK and cant see us allowing that.

Entire country outside of Limerick will be shouting against us. Luimneach abu and go on to be considered a great team with a second AI, Declan Hannon to go lift a second Liam McCarthy and first to captain 2 since Anthony Daly."
On the last point its the equivalent of playing Mayo in a football final its nothing against Limerick, if Waterford were playing any other county in a final id imagine most Limerick supporters would be cheering them on.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2797 - 08/12/2020 19:19:58    2320398

Link

Hopefully Limerick will have the studs issue rectified.....Croke Park surface seems to require careful stud selection.,lots of slipping and in the process coughing up possession against Galway.Also the first touch of a few players was not good,was it the close attention of Galway players tapping the arm holding the hurley? Another difficulty we had was breaking the tackle....Will O'Donoghue for a big man was "arrested" a few times by two Galway players....one each side... but not fouled it appears,he had serious difficulty trying to get his pass away.

Plenty to work on and Kiely knew it too by his remarks after the game.I'm expecting a much more cohesive display from Limerick on Sunday.

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 639 - 08/12/2020 20:48:32    2320452

Link

Fergal horgan tipp man to ref final, Liam Cahill tipp man managing Waterford... GAA haven't thought this one through. Has anyone else reservations about this especially with the pic doing the rounds where both lads are pictured side by side hurling together years ago!!

luimneachboy (Limerick) - Posts: 242 - 09/12/2020 17:56:23    2320783

Link

Replying To luimneachboy:  "Fergal horgan tipp man to ref final, Liam Cahill tipp man managing Waterford... GAA haven't thought this one through. Has anyone else reservations about this especially with the pic doing the rounds where both lads are pictured side by side hurling together years ago!!"
Horgan didn't do Waterford any favours against Kilkenny, there's rumours Horgan and Cahill dont get on which could be nonsense.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2797 - 09/12/2020 19:42:21    2320824

Link