Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Gearoid is fully deserving..
Can still see him breaking through 3 or 4 tackles the deftly flicking th bell or the head of on running tackle and then deliver a sublime pass for a score.
Multi talwnted chap who can mix it in the trenches
and deliver a sublime flick as well as chipping in with girls or points. Long may he continue and remain healthy.
A diamond in the rough or at the banquet table,

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 06/11/2020 16:37:03    2305630

Link

pundits on about steps taken by hegarty and lyons both took around 6 steps but not a word about colin fennelly who took 11 steps for his goal against limerick in last years semi final and also pat horgan who took 9 steps against limerick in 2018 both those players are doing it all their careers but the just credit for doing it crazy

leftback (Limerick) - Posts: 56 - 06/11/2020 21:27:23    2305695

Link

Replying To Mads:  "Before we go into another weekend of action can I ask everyone's opinion on the Waterford goal last weekend.
I thought Lyons caught the sliothar took about 6 steps which is just slightly over the max amount allowed, played the ball on the Hurley then took a few more steps within the required amount and crashed it into the net. The way all the pundits and all Cork supporters are carrying on it was like he took 12 steps and didn't see the lad play the ball off the Hurley in the middle.
I just don't think it was overcarrying at all and Al the talk is ruining a potential goal of the year. Am I missing a trick?"
You are dead right. I looked closely and saw very little and possibly nothing at all wrong with what Lyons did.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2705 - 06/11/2020 22:11:30    2305709

Link

I agree with you Mads on that Waterford goal,it struck me as I watched it that the commentators didn't see him playing the ball on the hurley...a fantastic goal,he is some player...some engine and speed!

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 639 - 06/11/2020 22:15:40    2305712

Link

Thanks for the responses, very disappointed with the commentators in that case and a lot of the journalists too

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 07/11/2020 07:56:44    2305739

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "You are dead right. I looked closely and saw very little and possibly nothing at all wrong with what Lyons did."
6 steps is double the allowed amount. Just because its not always reffed properly doesn't mean it shouldn't be.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1366 - 07/11/2020 16:16:49    2305846

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "6 steps is double the allowed amount. Just because its not always reffed properly doesn't mean it shouldn't be."
Not at all sure he took six, in n my opinion the very most he took was four. It wld have been very harsh to disallow it.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2705 - 07/11/2020 19:12:14    2305895

Link

My thoughts from the weekends matches.

Laois. Played some good hurling and had a game plan but the poor quality & decision making of their passing let them down badly. Could have had Clare otherwise.

Clare. Very disappointing again. Some good individual displays but no clear game plan. Lohan will come under pressure when beaten in next round - unless something changes drastically in the next week.

Dublin. Looked very sharp at times then very sloppy at other times. They couldn't get Trollier Dillon into the game so scores were hard to come by.

Cork. Different team this week and some great performances. Had a plan this week and seemed a lot more organised. Fullback line very solid. If Darragh Fitz was fit they would be a more serious outfit.

Based on what I've seen so far I would rank the remaining qualifiers as follows;
1. Cork
2. Tipp
3. Wexford
4. Clare

I hope Cork and Tipp draw each other next. Davy v Lohan would be class on a knock out!!!

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 294 - 08/11/2020 13:17:35    2306058

Link

Replying To Seeking_silver:  "My thoughts from the weekends matches.

Laois. Played some good hurling and had a game plan but the poor quality & decision making of their passing let them down badly. Could have had Clare otherwise.

Clare. Very disappointing again. Some good individual displays but no clear game plan. Lohan will come under pressure when beaten in next round - unless something changes drastically in the next week.

Dublin. Looked very sharp at times then very sloppy at other times. They couldn't get Trollier Dillon into the game so scores were hard to come by.

Cork. Different team this week and some great performances. Had a plan this week and seemed a lot more organised. Fullback line very solid. If Darragh Fitz was fit they would be a more serious outfit.

Based on what I've seen so far I would rank the remaining qualifiers as follows;
1. Cork
2. Tipp
3. Wexford
4. Clare

I hope Cork and Tipp draw each other next. Davy v Lohan would be class on a knock out!!!"
Agree with a that. Jury is still a bit out on Cork if they string 2 performances like that together then they definitely have to be taken seriously. They have been so up and down though it's mad. They finally started playing young players and dropped the likes of Lehane who had one good game in a blue moon. Still would rate Tipp higher than them until they at least show a level of consistency. Another win though and they will be back to their cocky selves again.
Cork and Tipp knockout would be an absolute cracker.

Clare have shown how much they are missing their big players. Agree that the 3 other teams will want to play them next round. If Cork and Tipp are not drawn together you would fancy the pair to come through. I do expect one big performance this year from Wexford though. I don't they they will be a walkover

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 08/11/2020 15:45:50    2306126

Link

Replying To Mads:  "Agree with a that. Jury is still a bit out on Cork if they string 2 performances like that together then they definitely have to be taken seriously. They have been so up and down though it's mad. They finally started playing young players and dropped the likes of Lehane who had one good game in a blue moon. Still would rate Tipp higher than them until they at least show a level of consistency. Another win though and they will be back to their cocky selves again.
Cork and Tipp knockout would be an absolute cracker.

Clare have shown how much they are missing their big players. Agree that the 3 other teams will want to play them next round. If Cork and Tipp are not drawn together you would fancy the pair to come through. I do expect one big performance this year from Wexford though. I don't they they will be a walkover"
I would also agree with those rankings. What a festival of hurling we have this weekend. Cork against Tipp and Clare and Wexford in a do or die, the Munster final and the Leinster Final.

Tipp will be going in very cold against what looks like an improving Cork side, on form you would say Cork but surely there is a big kick in this Tipp team. Impossible to call I think.

You'd have to fancy Wexford against Clare who seem to be struggling to get going this year.

Limerick will hopefully get the better of the Munster final. But nothing short of their very best may be required. Will be very interesting to see how they line out. Could Cian Lynch be named at center forward again? I think he will. Our half forward line will surely not let Tadgh De Burca lord it like he did against Cork.

I think Galway will beat the Cats in Leinster final.

Fitzy01 (Limerick) - Posts: 190 - 09/11/2020 09:29:28    2306605

Link

Festival of hurling indeed. There is definitely going to be a surprise from this weekend. Wexford are odds on to beat Clare and Tipp are favourites to beat Cork. Hopefully the surprise will be on Saturday with Clare Beating Wexford. They are definitely two mouth watering clashes. Galway versus Kilkenny should also be an intriguing game. I think Waterford and Limerick will be as predicted and an upset here would surprise me.

Regarding Limerick, we currently have two issues to worry about. 1. not showing up & 2. the virus. To me the former is the bigger problem because if we make it through Sunday we shouldn't have to worry about elimination due to Covid anymore as the semifinalists can delay if struck with the virus.

Last season complacency definitely set in and we didn't show up against Cork or Kilkenny. I think we will get through Waterford okay on Sunday but a rampant, Kilkenny, Cork or Galway could definitely take us if we let our guard down for one minute.

However after 2019 I believe JK will have them primed for warfare. In fact I believe the shock of 2019 will stand to them for years to come.

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 294 - 09/11/2020 19:34:08    2306972

Link

Can anyone see any changes coming down the line for the Munster final. I wonder if Cian will sit this one out due to the devastating news from the well at the weekend. RIP Paul Carey!!

I would like to see Seamus Flanagan starting as he was immense for the last two games. I don't even know who should come off as everyone showed up last week. Looking back on the game the work rate of Peter Casey and Graeme Mul was through the roof. They put constant pressure on the Cork full back line which totally inhibited any platform being built from there. In fact that's the reason teams struggle against Limerick. Our savage "hunting" totally stifles the amount of time the opposition get on the ball so they struggle to get a quality ball to the forwards.

This is exactly what Kilkenny did to us last year which cost us dearly.

On the other hand our lads are so good at the triangular movement and making space that they have that extra second to make a pass. This is purely down to strength, skill and fabulous coaching. It sounds simple but other teams just cannot emulate Limerick's ability in this area. Cian Lynch is a wizard at this. He gets the ball in tricky situations but when he lays off a pass the receiver is almost always in open space and facing the right direction. Declan Hannon, as mentioned by many pundits, is like an AFL quarterback. His ability to pinpoint long-range passes is devastating defences.

Again from looking back at the match Hegarty had no right to win the ball out of the ruck from which he won the penalty. He was like a rugby centre picking the ball out of a ruck at speed. O'Brien had no choice but to tackle him just like rugby centre. He is just unstoppable with his physique, speed and skill.

As well as the aforementioned guys we have lads like Sean Finn, Kyle, Tom and a fabulous full forward line. As if that wasn't bad enough you have 11 lads on the bench that would make any other county team.

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 294 - 09/11/2020 20:10:51    2306980

Link

Replying To Seeking_silver:  "Can anyone see any changes coming down the line for the Munster final. I wonder if Cian will sit this one out due to the devastating news from the well at the weekend. RIP Paul Carey!!

I would like to see Seamus Flanagan starting as he was immense for the last two games. I don't even know who should come off as everyone showed up last week. Looking back on the game the work rate of Peter Casey and Graeme Mul was through the roof. They put constant pressure on the Cork full back line which totally inhibited any platform being built from there. In fact that's the reason teams struggle against Limerick. Our savage "hunting" totally stifles the amount of time the opposition get on the ball so they struggle to get a quality ball to the forwards.

On the other hand our lads are so good at the triangular movement and making space that they have that extra second to make a pass. This is purely down to strength, skill and fabulous coaching. It sounds simple but other teams just cannot emulate Limerick's ability in this area. Cian Lynch is a wizard at this. He gets the ball in tricky situations but when he lays off a pass the receiver is almost always in open space and facing the right direction. Declan Hannon, as mentioned by many pundits, is like an AFL quarterback. His ability to pinpoint long-range passes is devastating defences.

Again from looking back at the match Hegarty had no right to win the ball out of the ruck from which he won the penalty. He was like a rugby centre picking the ball out of a ruck at speed. O'Brien had no choice but to tackle him just like rugby centre. He is just unstoppable with his physique, speed and skill.

As well as the aforementioned guys we have lads like Sean Finn, Kyle, Tom and a fabulous full forward line. As if that wasn't bad enough you have 11 lads on the bench that would make any other county team."
Great points there I think the switches made with O'Dovavan,Lynch and Kyle Hayes the last day showed Kiely and Kinnerk have a plan A, B and C. Personally I thought Cian Lynch was more effective at centre forward the last day I think he will play there again to upset Tadhg de burca because if Lynch is getting on the ball and creating chances and getting scores de burca will have to mark him some bit which he doesn't like, he wants to play free sweeping the half back line. But if Limerick are in the future playing against a strong physical centre back I think Kyle Hayes could move back centre forward although he showed he can highly effective in the half back line too. Gearoid Hegarty vs Austin Gleeson will be the battle that will intrigue me most both brilliant in the air and strong physical men too. The only change I can see to the line-up might be maybe Seamus Flanagan for Greame Mulcahy but Kiely might prefer to use Flanagan as an impact sub a such. I don't know the story with Richie English if he is recovered from injury he will probably be on the bench.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 791 - 09/11/2020 20:58:43    2306995

Link

Replying To Seeking_silver:  "Can anyone see any changes coming down the line for the Munster final. I wonder if Cian will sit this one out due to the devastating news from the well at the weekend. RIP Paul Carey!!

As well as the aforementioned guys we have lads like Sean Finn, Kyle, Tom and a fabulous full forward line. As if that wasn't bad enough you have 11 lads on the bench that would make any other county team."
Mul and Casey are in flying form but I agree that Flanagan is also looking really sharp. Particularly with the conditions at time of year, I think it would be brilliant to have Flanagan's physicality from the off. Then when the game opens up down the stretch Casey or Mulcahy could be sprung from the bench.
At the moment for me Casey just shades it ahead of Mulcahy.
I would love to see English come on from the bench if fit to get game minutes into him.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 09/11/2020 21:14:00    2307003

Link

A great weekend of hurling ahead. I would urge caution. After the Munster final last year people began to lose the run of themselves and that might hav
e seeped through to the team. They didn't get out of the blocks for a full 20mins and Kilkenny won the match right there. Its happening abit again. Limerick are a very good side but they certainly aren't unbeatable. Galway,Kilkenny,Cork,Tipperary could all beat them on the day.. I hope Waterford bring a big performance and test Limerick fully. Theres one dip in form every year ...id like it to be now and for Limerick to still win

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1366 - 11/11/2020 11:44:38    2307507

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "A great weekend of hurling ahead. I would urge caution. After the Munster final last year people began to lose the run of themselves and that might hav
e seeped through to the team. They didn't get out of the blocks for a full 20mins and Kilkenny won the match right there. Its happening abit again. Limerick are a very good side but they certainly aren't unbeatable. Galway,Kilkenny,Cork,Tipperary could all beat them on the day.. I hope Waterford bring a big performance and test Limerick fully. Theres one dip in form every year ...id like it to be now and for Limerick to still win"
Spot on.
Didn't help during last week either when both Tom Ryan and Ciaran Carey started comparing us to the great 05-15 Kilkenny team.

You'd like to think they should know better.
I'd say something if we were going for 3 in a row.
We're in the top 4 sides in the country, nothing else at the moment.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 775 - 11/11/2020 14:09:09    2307602

Link

Think almost everyone would urge caution.waterford on their day can cause serious problems for anyone..go through their startin 15 and names would roll off the tongue of all hurling followers..Cahill seems to be getting a bit more to from them..if limerick play like they did v tipp,they'll win..however as we saw last year,a small dip in performance for 15/20 mins and getting a win might be a problem..looking forward to the game and hopefully a classic..best of luck to all involved..

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 1153 - 11/11/2020 16:26:52    2307665

Link

Replying To CTGAA10:  "Think almost everyone would urge caution.waterford on their day can cause serious problems for anyone..go through their startin 15 and names would roll off the tongue of all hurling followers..Cahill seems to be getting a bit more to from them..if limerick play like they did v tipp,they'll win..however as we saw last year,a small dip in performance for 15/20 mins and getting a win might be a problem..looking forward to the game and hopefully a classic..best of luck to all involved.."
Best of luck to Limerick on Sunday. It is a must win game as nobody wants to get involved in playing three week ends in a row at this time of year. I think Limerick will share it and Galway will take KK.
Wexford and Tipp might just about share the other games.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2705 - 11/11/2020 19:35:30    2307755

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Best of luck to Limerick on Sunday. It is a must win game as nobody wants to get involved in playing three week ends in a row at this time of year. I think Limerick will share it and Galway will take KK.
Wexford and Tipp might just about share the other games."
I fancy the following to win this weekend;
1. Wexford
2. Cork
3. Galway
4. Limerick

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 294 - 11/11/2020 23:16:04    2307832

Link

Replying To Seeking_silver:  "I fancy the following to win this weekend;
1. Wexford
2. Cork
3. Galway
4. Limerick"
Big call to make that Cork will beat Tipp. I'd expect Tipp to have enough to get past the rebels on all known form but maybe the inspiration of the footballers will help. Either way, delighted to know that at least one of the traditional 3 will be gone on Saturday,

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 745 - 12/11/2020 09:26:15    2307862

Link