Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

What a fantastic performance today. Last week I criticised Byrnes and Tom Morrissey. Thought the two of them were outstanding today. Tom took the game by the scruff in the first 15 min - when it really counted. Byrnes was immense throughout. 10/10 for both of them today. Through the full back line looked more comfortable today and Barry Nash will learn a lot from this game. Problem is when Richie is back will he get a half back position? He was playing great stuff at half back in the league.
Switching Kyle and Cian was a master stroke and had Tipp at sixes and sevens in the first half. Tipp had planned down to the nth degree how to manage both then Limerick turn around and switch them. Fantastic! Cian controlled that centre line in the first half with his cutting runs and deadly passes. Not to mention his two great points.

Considering the conditions our passing and touch was just sublime. Just goes to show how skilful this bunch is. We all know tipp are fantastic stick men but our lads skill was on full display today.

However, work rate was the winning of the game today. An earlier poster criticised WOD. Point fully taken but the aggression and power he brings cripples teams. He's just a wrecking ball. He was quiet enough last week against Clare but certainly made up for it this week.

Sean Finn, another man who was quiet last week, was immense. Apart from the dodgy goal, he had McGrath in his pocket. Very difficult in the conditions.

Hego again was a nightmare for Tipp. Could easily have got man of the match again today. How many times did he emerge out with the dirty ball? I'm so at ease when he has the ball as he almost always comes off with a great pass or a score.

The full forward line caused Tipp all sorts of problems. In fairness it was not a day for a corner forward to be getting balls out on the sideline. But how well did Mul, Gillane & Casey do?? Gillane is just such a hand full. Ok he does miss a few scores but the amount of ball he wins more than makes up for it. He was in hard luck for a third goal today.

In 2018 & 19 Shane Dowling's impact was the winning of many games. I was genuinely worried with Shane's premature retirement. However, the use of the bench, again delivered that sucker punch. Flanagan, like Dowling put up his hand to say I need to be starting. But I think Seamie will continue to be the impact sub of 2020 for another while.

Pat Ryan and David Reidy were also superb. As Dalo said he pity's the corner back who ran his legs off all day that has to face Ryan, Reidy or Flanagan for the last 15min.

Based on what I've seen so far, I'm backing Limerick and Galway to win the provincials. Clare, Laois, Cork, Wexford & Tipp look poor. So I think those five will not make it through the qualifiers. That leaves the remaining semifinalists to come out of Waterford, Kilkenny or Dublin.

So well done to all involved today including management and back room. What an amazing bunch of people!

Finally, a word for Joanne Cantwell today. She was the ultimate professional in torrential conditions. When O'Rourke and O'Shea finished the big ball they were shivering. Joanne had to turn around and start again. Tough woman!!!

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 294 - 01/11/2020 21:32:01    2304137

Link

@Seeking_silver

That's a great post.

70_laps (Limerick) - Posts: 30 - 02/11/2020 01:58:49    2304211

Link

Just a few thoughts on the match as follows:

The switch to put Cian in at center forward and put Kyle back at wing back completely caught out Tipp and messed up their half back line as it forced Flynn who was supposed to man mark Cian Lynch into center back. Cian went on the be massively influential.
Paudie Maher taking off and Callinan held scoreless by Dan. That's two very sobering facts for the Tipp mentors to ponder. These players are amongst the best to have played the game but the end is coming fast for the leaders in that Tipp team. I don't now think that they can make it back to the All Ireland. They have great finishers but the lack of ball winners in the Tipp team is a persistent weakness.
I thought Byrnes had a savage game at right half back. He get's a lot of negative press around here but he's a magnificent half back.
Hegarty is a force of nature and an absolute wrecking ball. He overcarried for the penalty but was fouled on multiple occasions on the run.
WO'D had a wild swipe at the start of the center half but if you watch the incident, he's other hand was getting pulled by the Tipp player which is why he was pulling one handed in the first place. He needs to be careful though as a referee can ruin a match in an instant (last years All Ireland for example).
The challenge from Limerick looks like it will come from Galway. I've consistently said that neither of the two best teams met in last years All Ireland but I think they will this year.
The biggest losers over the weekend were Cork who went down in a spineless fashion. The Cork team have got to start finding some bigger players as the trends in the game are running away from the small, light lads breaking onto fast ball. And they still need to find a full back. It's a search that I hope will take some more time yet.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 745 - 02/11/2020 09:54:46    2304257

Link

Replying To Dealer:  "Just a few thoughts on the match as follows:

The switch to put Cian in at center forward and put Kyle back at wing back completely caught out Tipp and messed up their half back line as it forced Flynn who was supposed to man mark Cian Lynch into center back. Cian went on the be massively influential.
Paudie Maher taking off and Callinan held scoreless by Dan. That's two very sobering facts for the Tipp mentors to ponder. These players are amongst the best to have played the game but the end is coming fast for the leaders in that Tipp team. I don't now think that they can make it back to the All Ireland. They have great finishers but the lack of ball winners in the Tipp team is a persistent weakness.
I thought Byrnes had a savage game at right half back. He get's a lot of negative press around here but he's a magnificent half back.
Hegarty is a force of nature and an absolute wrecking ball. He overcarried for the penalty but was fouled on multiple occasions on the run.
WO'D had a wild swipe at the start of the center half but if you watch the incident, he's other hand was getting pulled by the Tipp player which is why he was pulling one handed in the first place. He needs to be careful though as a referee can ruin a match in an instant (last years All Ireland for example).
The challenge from Limerick looks like it will come from Galway. I've consistently said that neither of the two best teams met in last years All Ireland but I think they will this year.
The biggest losers over the weekend were Cork who went down in a spineless fashion. The Cork team have got to start finding some bigger players as the trends in the game are running away from the small, light lads breaking onto fast ball. And they still need to find a full back. It's a search that I hope will take some more time yet."
I would agree with you on this post Galway will be biggest threat although you could never rule out KK

Limerick should be contesting for a 3 in a row this year Tipp got soft AI last year especially with harsh sending off of Hogan but Limerick need surgery in the Full back line M Casey huge loss.

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 593 - 02/11/2020 10:39:33    2304278

Link

Ye are the best team in the country and were last year but that guarantees nothing, as the kk game showed a 15 mins sleepwalk can cost a team the Liam McCarthy

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2797 - 02/11/2020 10:51:02    2304288

Link

Another great win for Limerick at the weekend. Scoring 1-17 in 1st half really shows how good we can be when in full flow, everyone of the starting 15 stood up to Tipp physically and ultimately Limericks skill and clever use of possession won us the game. I think Kyle Hayes is better suited to a roaming centre foward/ midfield role than playing at wing back, Tadgh de Burca dominated at centre back for Waterford against Cork and I think Kyle would do a good job of stopping him having a bigger influence on the game. Kyle had a very good club championship operating in the forwards and I feel now is not the time to experiment and try out a new position.

The full back line was solid and have managed to keep both Seamus Callanan and Shane o Donnell scoreless over 2 weekends of hurling, which is no easy task. I dont think it would be fair to make any changes to that line even if Richie English is fit for Munster final. I think Seamus Flanagan form has been very good lately and reminds me of 2018 when he was hurling out of his skin, Pat Ryan will also feel hard done by to be not getting more game time. Have to remember also that he nearly single handedly brought Doon to a county final by scoring 7 points from play in the county semi against Kilmallock. The full forward line is the most competitive line we have in the pitch and I wouldnt be surprised to see at least one change for the Munster final.

thetruth12 (Limerick) - Posts: 19 - 02/11/2020 12:51:09    2304378

Link

Great performance yesterday, master stroke to put Cian center forward. Done a number of things - completely upset Tipp and their plan to man mark Cian, put Flynn a man marker in a position neither he nor Tipp wanted to be in at center back, Kyle made our half back line even more dominant and imposing, midfield wasn't weakened in the slightest with Darragh and Will.

LimkABU (Limerick) - Posts: 62 - 02/11/2020 14:21:15    2304425

Link

Great performance by Limerick. Bit off topic but any idea what the Celtic looking symbol is on the back of the Limerick jerseys? Heard that it's only going to be on match jerseys and not shop bought ones and it has me curious what the meaning is behind it?

TreatyBoy (Limerick) - Posts: 98 - 03/11/2020 00:28:27    2304665

Link

The beauty of going through the front door this year is, for the winners of Leinster and Munster, from here they will have 3 games with 2 week breaks each game. Perfect amount of time to recover and prepare without losing momentum. The back door teams will have games week on week.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1018 - 03/11/2020 04:22:50    2304669

Link

Replying To TreatyBoy:  "Great performance by Limerick. Bit off topic but any idea what the Celtic looking symbol is on the back of the Limerick jerseys? Heard that it's only going to be on match jerseys and not shop bought ones and it has me curious what the meaning is behind it?"
I read over on boards that it symbolises teamwork and work rate and stuff. Apparently Claire Currens idea

Breezy (Limerick) - Posts: 1113 - 03/11/2020 10:01:57    2304696

Link

Replying To Breezy:  "I read over on boards that it symbolises teamwork and work rate and stuff. Apparently Claire Currens idea"
https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/584577/new-feature-on-limerick-hurling-jersey-a-symbol-for-ourselves-and-what-we-stand-for.html

mentioned on the leader

LimkABU (Limerick) - Posts: 62 - 03/11/2020 10:38:30    2304711

Link

Just like last year (Laois and then Wex to get to AI final after being beaten in Munster final) - Tipp got lucky again with back door draw. I was hoping they would be drawn in first round with a tough fixture next weekend and then have to play a number of weeks in a row as they have some older players. Not to wish someone else bad but because I feel they already got lucky last year, are a big threat always and they will still have a major say in this championship, huge talent everywhere even though they looked completely off the pace on Sun.

Why did Sheedy instruct them to go for a point with 21 meter free close to the end ? didn't think they had anything to lose going for it in final few mins ?

LimkABU (Limerick) - Posts: 62 - 03/11/2020 10:49:50    2304715

Link

Replying To blackspot91:  "The beauty of going through the front door this year is, for the winners of Leinster and Munster, from here they will have 3 games with 2 week breaks each game. Perfect amount of time to recover and prepare without losing momentum. The back door teams will have games week on week."
Hard work has its rewards. Here's to keeping cool heads and not getting carried away with any hype.

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 03/11/2020 11:58:26    2304755

Link

Replying To LimkABU:  "Great performance yesterday, master stroke to put Cian center forward. Done a number of things - completely upset Tipp and their plan to man mark Cian, put Flynn a man marker in a position neither he nor Tipp wanted to be in at center back, Kyle made our half back line even more dominant and imposing, midfield wasn't weakened in the slightest with Darragh and Will."
Very well said.

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 03/11/2020 12:00:30    2304756

Link

That was a great performance against Tipp on Sunday.They were outstanding in the second half after taking a few minutes to adjust to playing against the strong wind and rain.Tipp decided to play against the wind in the first half,the tactic appeared to be that that they would bypass the central area in the second half with the goalkeeper puckouts and rain ball down on our fullback line with the assumption that it would provide goals.Our defence were fantastic and met every challenge.The ref provided a 6 point present to Tipp with poor decisions,just as well it wasn't a tight game.
Looking forward to the Munster final now.I was well impressed with Waterford's work rate,speed and skill against Cork.I don't agree with all the commentators denigrating Cork after the game,they were beaten by an excellent team on the day.Should be a great game in the final.

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 639 - 04/11/2020 20:34:32    2305208

Link

Replying To ONdeDITCH:  "That was a great performance against Tipp on Sunday.They were outstanding in the second half after taking a few minutes to adjust to playing against the strong wind and rain.Tipp decided to play against the wind in the first half,the tactic appeared to be that that they would bypass the central area in the second half with the goalkeeper puckouts and rain ball down on our fullback line with the assumption that it would provide goals.Our defence were fantastic and met every challenge.The ref provided a 6 point present to Tipp with poor decisions,just as well it wasn't a tight game.
Looking forward to the Munster final now.I was well impressed with Waterford's work rate,speed and skill against Cork.I don't agree with all the commentators denigrating Cork after the game,they were beaten by an excellent team on the day.Should be a great game in the final."
Agree about Waterford. They're well organised, hard working and have shown nice touches of skill. Once they dusted off the cobwebs they really drove on in the second half. Liam Cahill seems like a serious manager who always gets the best performance out of his teams which is all you want. I definitely expect them to be our toughest test yet.

I do think though that we have more serious hurlers and if someone is having an off day we have the backups required. Pauric Mahony's loss is serious for Waterford. From here it's vital that minds are 100% focused and shouldn't listen to the media. Glad that there isn't much time between now and the Munster final

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 04/11/2020 21:11:19    2305216

Link

Ever since the defeat to kilkenny I've been watching Gearoid Hegarty very closely. It was a day Gearoid will have wanted to forget very quickly. In everything he has done in a green jersey since that day has typified for me the kind of character limerick might look to in the post Hannon era for captaincy (will o donoghue too).

All through last winter/spring in every match there has been an edge to his play. His standards have elevated to hurler of the year level early in the league in those 5 matches. He gave a sublime display against Clare which showcased the tremendous talent he possesses and the physicality he brings. Something else I noticed was his presence vocally within the limerick huddle at water breaks. He is firmly now a leader within the unit.

His display against tipperary again kept his high level of performance going. He has just received player of the month and richly deserves it.

I hate to single one lad out amongst a squad of warriors but after the 19 semi I felt for the guy. He had a day to forget. But how he has reacted since has impressed me hugely.

Luimneach abu.

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 495 - 05/11/2020 19:41:15    2305430

Link

I'm back

munsterdevil (Limerick) - Posts: 84 - 05/11/2020 23:40:03    2305485

Link

Replying To daveboy:  "Ever since the defeat to kilkenny I've been watching Gearoid Hegarty very closely. It was a day Gearoid will have wanted to forget very quickly. In everything he has done in a green jersey since that day has typified for me the kind of character limerick might look to in the post Hannon era for captaincy (will o donoghue too).

All through last winter/spring in every match there has been an edge to his play. His standards have elevated to hurler of the year level early in the league in those 5 matches. He gave a sublime display against Clare which showcased the tremendous talent he possesses and the physicality he brings. Something else I noticed was his presence vocally within the limerick huddle at water breaks. He is firmly now a leader within the unit.

His display against tipperary again kept his high level of performance going. He has just received player of the month and richly deserves it.

I hate to single one lad out amongst a squad of warriors but after the 19 semi I felt for the guy. He had a day to forget. But how he has reacted since has impressed me hugely.

Luimneach abu."
Excellent post..
Have to agree 100%. I remember well how everything he tried against Kilkenny last year didn't work out. It was a very tough day for him and testimony to his character how he's come back so strong this year.

Hegarty has become the sort of player other teams would do anything for.
He has quietly and without any fuss become one of our most important players.
His skill levels are something else for such a big man and if he's not taking scores, he's breaking tackles and making them..

As you say he's become a real leader in the team.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 775 - 06/11/2020 09:22:59    2305501

Link

Before we go into another weekend of action can I ask everyone's opinion on the Waterford goal last weekend.
I thought Lyons caught the sliothar took about 6 steps which is just slightly over the max amount allowed, played the ball on the Hurley then took a few more steps within the required amount and crashed it into the net. The way all the pundits and all Cork supporters are carrying on it was like he took 12 steps and didn't see the lad play the ball off the Hurley in the middle.
I just don't think it was overcarrying at all and Al the talk is ruining a potential goal of the year. Am I missing a trick?

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 06/11/2020 15:34:29    2305608

Link