Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To hamstring:  "What happens to the losers of next Sunday's game.?
Somebody saying elsewhere that a loss and we are out as we'll have got our 2 games.
Doubt if they are correct on that.?"
No, we're not out if we lose on Sunday, that only applies to the football. Every hurling team defeated before the provincial finals goes down the qualifier route. However, if we lose to Tipp we could end up playing two rounds of qualifiers and an All-Ireland quarter final on consecutive weekends! That would amount to games on four successive weekends. The front door route to a possible final in December is attritional, but far more attractive than taking the back/trap door.

GerO.Racle (Limerick) - Posts: 38 - 26/10/2020 14:07:00    2301628

Link

Somebody saying elsewhere that a loss and we are out as we'll have got our 2 games.
Lose against Tipp and we're in the same boat as Clare.
Into the Qualifiers against Leinster teams, lose there and we're gone.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 775 - 26/10/2020 14:14:33    2301632

Link

Go into the backdoor draw. Even if a team loses the munster final they go into the backdoor draw.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 26/10/2020 14:58:19    2301654

Link

I was very nervous before this game and even more nervous at half time.We were very ragged in that first half,no cohesion and unable to win puckouts and unforced errors in possession.Tony Kelly was allowed to run riot....why didn't we bring Tom Morrissey back to mark him?Kelly drifting in and out unsettled the novice full back line even more.I was amazed that nothing was done to curb Tony Kelly's influence.That said Limerick played great stuff in the second half and were very cohesive with their movement and the conversion rate to scores from chances was very high,that was a real plus.
A huge mistake for the Clare goal almost undone the great start to the second half and gave Clare hope even though they were played off the pitch at that point,never give the opposition hope a la KK.
Looking fwd to the Tipp game now,we have it within our armoury to beat them but anything like the first half display against Clare and the defending for the goal and it will be all over for us by half time.

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 639 - 26/10/2020 20:50:57    2301777

Link

Replying To ONdeDITCH:  "I was very nervous before this game and even more nervous at half time.We were very ragged in that first half,no cohesion and unable to win puckouts and unforced errors in possession.Tony Kelly was allowed to run riot....why didn't we bring Tom Morrissey back to mark him?Kelly drifting in and out unsettled the novice full back line even more.I was amazed that nothing was done to curb Tony Kelly's influence.That said Limerick played great stuff in the second half and were very cohesive with their movement and the conversion rate to scores from chances was very high,that was a real plus.
A huge mistake for the Clare goal almost undone the great start to the second half and gave Clare hope even though they were played off the pitch at that point,never give the opposition hope a la KK.
Looking fwd to the Tipp game now,we have it within our armoury to beat them but anything like the first half display against Clare and the defending for the goal and it will be all over for us by half time."
Was listening to Anthony Dalys podcast on the examiner and they were talking about Kelly's influence.
Derek McGrath mentioned a time they played Clare and lost their shape completely over trying to see who was going to pick up Kelly on different parts of the pitch.
They reckoned Limerick are so comfortable in their game plan they we're more concerned now with playing to our strengths rather than worrying about Kelly.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 775 - 26/10/2020 21:11:38    2301790

Link

I for one would not applaud a repeat of what Tony Kelly was allowed...free range and no curbs so 16 points and no corrective action if it was repeated....emmm!

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 639 - 26/10/2020 22:39:30    2301820

Link

The hurling qualifiers will see the six teams who don't reach their provincial final - three from Leinster and three from Munster - drawn, two from one province against two from the other to make up round one and the remaining two with byes to play the round one winners in round two.

The two winners of round two will face the defeated provincial finalists in the All-Ireland quarter-finals.

Does this mean that Clare and Laois will be seeded equal to the four losers this weekend even though both Dublin and Limerick have won a game?

ONdeDITCH (Limerick) - Posts: 639 - 26/10/2020 22:50:27    2301826

Link

Replying To skillet:  "Was listening to Anthony Dalys podcast on the examiner and they were talking about Kelly's influence.
Derek McGrath mentioned a time they played Clare and lost their shape completely over trying to see who was going to pick up Kelly on different parts of the pitch.
They reckoned Limerick are so comfortable in their game plan they we're more concerned now with playing to our strengths rather than worrying about Kelly."
Fair enough this is a biased opinion, but I think Hegarty could easily have been given man of the match. it was 8 5 in Kelly's favour for points scored (including frees is pointless, excuse the pun), but Kelly didn't do much other than his scores where as Hegarty was involved in so much for Limerick, the amount of dirty ball he won, at least 3 assists off the top of my head including the outrageous one with the flick over the defender's head in first half. A lot of Kelly's scores were from loose ball or balls offloaded to him. Still a great performance, don't get me wrong but I think he stood out more because of how much better he is than his teammates.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1018 - 27/10/2020 03:27:02    2301842

Link

Replying To Mads:  "Agree with a lot of what is said previously.
To be honest from today's display I don't like both Morrissey and Nash playing out of position. Sean Finn cannot be the only one with proper full backline experience if at all possible. As said before Nash in particular was completely out of sorts. Not his fault it's just a huge ask on short notice. I know there are serious injuries but if we can at all get Condon or Costello in I think it would settle everyone down. Such a pity that either were unavailable for even 15mins game time. If Duggan and Conlon were there, there could have been way more goals conceeded.

I do think the half backline were very unsettled too which was surprising. Perhaps it had to do with them having it in their heads to try and help out the full backline more due to the inexperience there. The trio were not a cohesive unit. Aside from Hannon, individually the other 2 were not dominant.
If we had cover you would be wanting Kiely to put Morrissey or Nash in there. Because of the injury situation no one was under pressure of getting replaced in the half backline and it showed. I don't think O'Loughlin or Byrnes would be first choice after today's display. It just depends if we can get anyone back from injury. If this was a league I think Kiely would definitely have given Jerome Boylan a shot at a couple of games to see how he'd fair. Tipp is not a time to suddenly fire him in now.
On a positive note Hegarty was sublime.36points can't be ignored. The subs made a good impact and they looked sharp. If we're going to get into the main final we need to go through the front door. Lessons I'm sure will be learned from today."
Being a bit harsh on the HB line there? They, like everyone were slow off the blocks in the first half but they were utterly dominant in the second half.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1018 - 27/10/2020 03:32:09    2301843

Link

Replying To blackspot91:  "Fair enough this is a biased opinion, but I think Hegarty could easily have been given man of the match. it was 8 5 in Kelly's favour for points scored (including frees is pointless, excuse the pun), but Kelly didn't do much other than his scores where as Hegarty was involved in so much for Limerick, the amount of dirty ball he won, at least 3 assists off the top of my head including the outrageous one with the flick over the defender's head in first half. A lot of Kelly's scores were from loose ball or balls offloaded to him. Still a great performance, don't get me wrong but I think he stood out more because of how much better he is than his teammates."
Agreed.. I thought he was man of the match also. can't actually think of another limerick hurler who's more important to our way of playing than Hegarty.
Kelly stood out in a poor team. Hegarty stood out in a really good team, which is much more impressive.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 775 - 27/10/2020 10:14:49    2301879

Link

Replying To blackspot91:  "Fair enough this is a biased opinion, but I think Hegarty could easily have been given man of the match. it was 8 5 in Kelly's favour for points scored (including frees is pointless, excuse the pun), but Kelly didn't do much other than his scores where as Hegarty was involved in so much for Limerick, the amount of dirty ball he won, at least 3 assists off the top of my head including the outrageous one with the flick over the defender's head in first half. A lot of Kelly's scores were from loose ball or balls offloaded to him. Still a great performance, don't get me wrong but I think he stood out more because of how much better he is than his teammates."
I agree also. I'm not a match statistician but I'm sure if you compared Hego's against Kelly's, MOTM would have been different. How many times was Hegarty fouled, how many dirty balls did he win, how many passes did he lay off how many Km did he cover.

On saying all that Kelly's scores were majestic. His running onto breaking ball is the best in the game as is his positional sense. So for that reason I can see why he got it and for entertainment value probably deserved it.

There was at least 3 balls that TK won from the break that were either impossibly skilful or very lucky and I'm leaning on the side of the latter. But I'm not taking from his performance. If it's your day it's your day!

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 294 - 27/10/2020 11:23:59    2301918

Link

It was a good win for Limerick on Sunday without ever really having to get out of 2nd gear, I know that Clare were missing some big players but they really lacked any physicality and intensity especially in 2nd half. Our fullback line wasn't as dominant as we would have been used to in recent years but still managed to get the job done, bar one mix up which led to the goal

Positives to take into next week was the amount of scores from play and the individual performances of Hegarty, Hayes and Hannon who stood out for me. Hannon really came into the game in 2nd half and came out with a lot of breaking ball, we need him to be on top form if we want to have any chance of winning silverware later on in the year. Tipp use the ball very well to set up attacks from their half back line and will target early goals from Callanan and Mcgrath. Goal scoring oppurtunities were hard to come by for us against a poor Clare full back line, thats why I would be in favour of starting Flanagan or Ryan next week who are known for creating goal scoring chances

thetruth12 (Limerick) - Posts: 19 - 27/10/2020 13:07:40    2301976

Link

Replying To ONdeDITCH:  "I for one would not applaud a repeat of what Tony Kelly was allowed...free range and no curbs so 16 points and no corrective action if it was repeated....emmm!"
I think the point is you could get away with this with Clare as they have the one amazing player and were short some of their other marquee forwards so we could afford to effectively let him off as they felt they had no one else who could hurt us and in fairness, that tactic worked a treat and Limerick won comfortably, in the end, playing their own game. The tactic might not be as effective if you are playing against a team like Tipp or KK who will go for goals and have many threats.

Tipp will be an interesting one with the spread of lethal forwards they have all across the full-forward line. You would think the physicality and intensity will be far greater in this one, the fullback line will need protection. Can't wait for it.

Just a quick mention on Gearoid Hegarty, he is an absolute gem of a player. Fantastic attitude and athletic ability and his touch and shooting were also top-notch.

Fitzy01 (Limerick) - Posts: 190 - 27/10/2020 13:27:11    2301986

Link

Replying To skillet:  "Agreed.. I thought he was man of the match also. can't actually think of another limerick hurler who's more important to our way of playing than Hegarty.
Kelly stood out in a poor team. Hegarty stood out in a really good team, which is much more impressive."
Kelly was man of the match. As good as Hegarty was on tbe day his performance wasn't on the same level as Kelly's. I think Hegarty is brilliant...when people were Iffy about him I said he'd be better than Walter Walsh is for Kilkenny. But No Kelly deserved his man of the match. When he plays like that he's untouchable.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1366 - 27/10/2020 15:58:18    2302113

Link

Replying To ONdeDITCH:  "I for one would not applaud a repeat of what Tony Kelly was allowed...free range and no curbs so 16 points and no corrective action if it was repeated....emmm!"
I agree with this post completely.. I would not pretend to have the same hurling knowledge as our management
but being old school it seems we should have tried to try to shackle him in some way while not sacrificing our system unduly . ( the devil. Is in the details here). That said this game was an excellent preview in prepping for Callanan, John O 'Dwyer Forde , the McGraths etc.
Also we were "too nice "'again in dealing with Clare tactics.
Maybe did not need to get as physical with big lead and Saved our intensity for Tipp.

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 27/10/2020 17:32:30    2302165

Link

Agree with everything here about Hegarty also.
Reminds me of the saying : " Where the fighting was the thickest, that's where he was." Covers acres of ground and slices through with some delightful scores from " the chalk", all while appearing to walk away without breaking a sweat, long may he continue.

Actually great to meet Tipp this early in campaign.

Come on Yr Boys in Green,

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1193 - 27/10/2020 17:44:34    2302170

Link

Replying To blackspot91:  "Being a bit harsh on the HB line there? They, like everyone were slow off the blocks in the first half but they were utterly dominant in the second half."
Fair enough to being slow off the mark but I don't think O'Loughlin in particular grasped his opportunity. Agree Hannon was brilliant and dominated in a big way in that second half in particular.

On a separate note with Byrnes, I think the time has definitely come where Kiely should insist he delivers long range frees into the forwards. Too many opportunities are being blasted wide.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 220 - 27/10/2020 22:24:21    2302295

Link

Replying To skillet:  "Agreed.. I thought he was man of the match also. can't actually think of another limerick hurler who's more important to our way of playing than Hegarty.
Kelly stood out in a poor team. Hegarty stood out in a really good team, which is much more impressive."
I would have thought it is much more impressive for a player to play as good as TK did for a team with so much less possession than their opponents. GH was outstanding and was Limerick' best player but Kelly's display was exceptional

Westfester (Limerick) - Posts: 914 - 27/10/2020 22:45:28    2302299

Link

Replying To Mads:  "Fair enough to being slow off the mark but I don't think O'Loughlin in particular grasped his opportunity. Agree Hannon was brilliant and dominated in a big way in that second half in particular.

On a separate note with Byrnes, I think the time has definitely come where Kiely should insist he delivers long range frees into the forwards. Too many opportunities are being blasted wide."
I watched it back and Paddy wasnt spectacular but he was solid and won plenty of high balls. And as Donal O Grady said, his wide was surprising as he is often is as good as Byrnes for throwing over long range efforts. He was good in league and excellent as Fitzgibbon winning captain so I think he deserves hang on another day, especially as taking him out requires another big rejigging of defense.

I think that game will bring on everyone and I'm expecting John to not make any changes unless English is suddenly fit but even then would probably ease him in off the bench. Consistent selection is important in a short championship I feel.

Bynes frees are an interesting one.. the question is.. is a ball dropping in a better chance than him having a pop? It is defenders ball unless you have moves where forwards are making runs. I guess it depends on how far out. Maybe anywhere behind half way or his 65 should look for someone or something like that. Mix it up. They are free shots at the end of the day and great when they go over so could argue they're worth the effort even if he only scores 2 out of 5 or 6 attempts.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1018 - 28/10/2020 07:59:07    2302325

Link

Replying To PatOLogical:  "Agree with everything here about Hegarty also.
Reminds me of the saying : " Where the fighting was the thickest, that's where he was." Covers acres of ground and slices through with some delightful scores from " the chalk", all while appearing to walk away without breaking a sweat, long may he continue.

Actually great to meet Tipp this early in campaign.

Come on Yr Boys in Green,"
Yes, I think some people tend to underrate him as a football convert (hurling actually always was by far his favorite sport), who is a big target man and an athlete but boy can he hurl. Completely 2 sided, his striking is as good as anyone's, they look so wristy and effortless. Also for a big man, he has a beautiful touch with low balls on the ground and he pulls off flicks as good as lynch at times!

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1018 - 28/10/2020 08:04:02    2302326

Link