Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Hurling 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Gaawestmeath:  "Two groups will have 6 teams . Nobody will be demoted and one team will go from senior group 2 . Two intermediate finalist will go into senior B. Both groups will be separate competitions and will go into semis after the groups . I don't agree with the change because it leaves teams like delvin a couple of years ago having a good year and nearly beating a top team in a semi ever having that chance. Senior B is essentially intermediate again."
It basically means a few weaker senior clubs will probably never get relegated
Suits a few clubs who will be struggling in a few years due to poor underage structures

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1791 - 27/08/2019 08:13:13    2229647

Link

Is there any club relagated from group 2 in the senior hurling this year ?

Mattyreilly (Westmeath) - Posts: 108 - 31/08/2019 10:04:31    2230920

Link

Replying To Mattyreilly:  "Is there any club relagated from group 2 in the senior hurling this year ?"
In reality three and possibly four. The second tier will still be called senior b but the champions will not have possibility of winning senior and will enter Leinster intermediate.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 857 - 01/09/2019 00:54:29    2231100

Link

Replying To Mattyreilly:  "Is there any club relagated from group 2 in the senior hurling this year ?"
Nope Delvin will go up and the two finalist of intermediate go up .

Gaawestmeath (Westmeath) - Posts: 39 - 01/09/2019 08:50:24    2231113

Link

Replying To Gaawestmeath:  "Nope Delvin will go up and the two finalist of intermediate go up ."
So in the past 5 years there has been no relegation from the senior, twice.
Must be a lot of clubs who think they deserve to stay senior for ever.

Why not just make every club senior, then have a senior b competition after the first few rounds

Will the intermediate just end up as a competition for the 2nd teams from 3/4 clubs along with one or two actual intermediate clubs?

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1791 - 01/09/2019 16:20:06    2231233

Link

Replying To valley84:  "So in the past 5 years there has been no relegation from the senior, twice.
Must be a lot of clubs who think they deserve to stay senior for ever.

Why not just make every club senior, then have a senior b competition after the first few rounds

Will the intermediate just end up as a competition for the 2nd teams from 3/4 clubs along with one or two actual intermediate clubs?"
My understanding is there Will only be six teams who can win the senior hurling championship in 2020.My maths tell me thats four less than 2019 .These four Will join the intermediate finalists in a competition titled senior B the winner if which Will be promoted to senior a in 2021 but Will not have the possibility if winning the senior titled in 2020.But maybe valley is right??

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 857 - 01/09/2019 18:35:12    2231389

Link

Replying To jobber:  "My understanding is there Will only be six teams who can win the senior hurling championship in 2020.My maths tell me thats four less than 2019 .These four Will join the intermediate finalists in a competition titled senior B the winner if which Will be promoted to senior a in 2021 but Will not have the possibility if winning the senior titled in 2020.But maybe valley is right??"
so senior B is effectively intermediate and the intermediate will now effectively be junior?
what clubs have been pushing for this?
I think the current format is working well.
The main issue is that there are three clubs stronger (as has been the case for 15+ years) than the rest. Until another club or two get up to that level, there will always be a lack of competitiveness to the senior

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1791 - 02/09/2019 09:39:56    2231722

Link

Replying To valley84:  "so senior B is effectively intermediate and the intermediate will now effectively be junior?
what clubs have been pushing for this?
I think the current format is working well.
The main issue is that there are three clubs stronger (as has been the case for 15+ years) than the rest. Until another club or two get up to that level, there will always be a lack of competitiveness to the senior"
Unfortunately change is required as the groups are too uncompetitive as 4 teams qualify out of 5 leaves a lot of group games irrelevant. Clonkill still being in the championship this year being the example.
Next years group games should be a lot more feisty as only 3 will qualify out of 6. Delvin have probably reached a level near Castlepollard so should be competitive all round.

Realistically a team from group 2 this year has very little chance of winning a quarter final never mind a championship. So it will actually give those teams a more competitive end to their year aswell with something to play for.

Looking like Senior B championship next year
Brownstown,
Crookedwood,
Daltons,
Brigids,
Raharney/Castletown
Cullion/Ringtown

Dote (Westmeath) - Posts: 214 - 02/09/2019 14:13:08    2231895

Link

Replying To Dote:  "Unfortunately change is required as the groups are too uncompetitive as 4 teams qualify out of 5 leaves a lot of group games irrelevant. Clonkill still being in the championship this year being the example.
Next years group games should be a lot more feisty as only 3 will qualify out of 6. Delvin have probably reached a level near Castlepollard so should be competitive all round.

Realistically a team from group 2 this year has very little chance of winning a quarter final never mind a championship. So it will actually give those teams a more competitive end to their year aswell with something to play for.

Looking like Senior B championship next year
Brownstown,
Crookedwood,
Daltons,
Brigids,
Raharney/Castletown
Cullion/Ringtown"
I would agree 100% .But this new senior B needs to produce champions who will be competitive in Leinster intermediate.If those clubs reach thats level Westmeath hurling Will be on the mover.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 857 - 03/09/2019 08:23:04    2232196

Link

Replying To jobber:  "I would agree 100% .But this new senior B needs to produce champions who will be competitive in Leinster intermediate.If those clubs reach thats level Westmeath hurling Will be on the mover."
Can anyone confirm if Raharney/Castletown would be allowed into Senior B? I thought second teams of senior clubs wouldn't be allowed.

soreknee (Westmeath) - Posts: 135 - 03/09/2019 11:50:08    2232311

Link

Replying To soreknee:  "Can anyone confirm if Raharney/Castletown would be allowed into Senior B? I thought second teams of senior clubs wouldn't be allowed."
Not sure But if they make intermediate final why not?

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 857 - 03/09/2019 16:34:50    2232466

Link

It's gonna be interesting as I doubt a team who lose a final want to go up. If I remember correctly ringtown turned down the opportunity to go up when they lost a final a few years back. I don't think they should have changed the format at all. It gives teams like the Wood or anyone who comes from group two a shot at the bigger teams after a run of good form. This completely isolates the bigger teams which is what they want id imagine.

Gaawestmeath (Westmeath) - Posts: 39 - 04/09/2019 14:59:51    2232767

Link

Replying To Gaawestmeath:  "It's gonna be interesting as I doubt a team who lose a final want to go up. If I remember correctly ringtown turned down the opportunity to go up when they lost a final a few years back. I don't think they should have changed the format at all. It gives teams like the Wood or anyone who comes from group two a shot at the bigger teams after a run of good form. This completely isolates the bigger teams which is what they want id imagine."
I would not call it promotion. Let's be real we don't have ten senior teams. Our intermediate champions have performed terribly in the Leinster JUNIOR championship. The new coaching appointments will be a help longterm but the hurling clubs outside the top three are not doing enough to help Westmeath

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 857 - 05/09/2019 09:46:52    2232941

Link

Replying To jobber:  "I would not call it promotion. Let's be real we don't have ten senior teams. Our intermediate champions have performed terribly in the Leinster JUNIOR championship. The new coaching appointments will be a help longterm but the hurling clubs outside the top three are not doing enough to help Westmeath"
What are the coaching appointments going to do if the clubs aren't organised themselves?
There are two senior clubs that practically have no underage structure past U12

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1791 - 05/09/2019 20:32:17    2233141

Link

Replying To valley84:  "What are the coaching appointments going to do if the clubs aren't organised themselves?
There are two senior clubs that practically have no underage structure past U12"
You are right clubs have to get their act together but let's be clear the coaches will help the likes of Father Daltons and Southern Gales who are doing good work.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 857 - 06/09/2019 07:23:16    2233196

Link

Replying To jobber:  "You are right clubs have to get their act together but let's be clear the coaches will help the likes of Father Daltons and Southern Gales who are doing good work."
Southern Gaels have a population of 22000 to pick from as well as the Connacht side of the river where there is no hurling.
Fr Daltons have the pick of 5/6 football clubs, so they should be competitive.

If you look across the activities of hurling clubs, they don't run enough underage tournaments with teams from outside the county playing. They also tend to only invite teams that they know they can beat.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1791 - 06/09/2019 15:19:23    2233328

Link

Replying To valley84:  "Southern Gaels have a population of 22000 to pick from as well as the Connacht side of the river where there is no hurling.
Fr Daltons have the pick of 5/6 football clubs, so they should be competitive.

If you look across the activities of hurling clubs, they don't run enough underage tournaments with teams from outside the county playing. They also tend to only invite teams that they know they can beat."
Everything you say is right but let's give the two Southern clubs credit. Father Daltons promotion of hurling in a football dominated area is very good they are getting better every year and could win the under 14 premier this year. Southern Gaels are in a town of 22000 of which about 15000 is on the Westmeath side. Soccer is the number one sport with rugby second football third and hurling miles behind. These guys are bringing players through at underage more and more. Look at the under 15 tournament last week in Tipp.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 857 - 06/09/2019 23:15:01    2233396

Link

Any update on management or what's happening with senior hurlers. Time is starting to tick?

Westmeathk (Westmeath) - Posts: 10 - 08/09/2019 21:32:27    2233667

Link

If Westmeath want to compete more in hurling it has to be started in the schools with a proper structure . In south Westmeath they need to try get more hurling down there. There is one player from Daltons on the senior panel , I understand it's competing with soccer and rugby but the county board need to put something in place to try get more players form there as it's such a large area and would be such a boost .

Gaawestmeath (Westmeath) - Posts: 39 - 09/09/2019 11:29:01    2233790

Link

Intermediate hurling semi finals being played on a Saturday at 2pm and 3:30pm.
Not much regard for lads who might work at weekends and not a good time to get a crowd in with parking on a Saturday afternoon

Surely two games at 12 on Sunday in Cusack would have been a much better option? Then play senior games at 4 and 5:30?

Raharney and Cullion to win btw

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1791 - 11/09/2019 20:00:24    2234555

Link