Fermanagh Forum

Transparency and Fermanagh County Board

(Oldest Posts First)

This whole situation with Club Eirne highlights the absolute shambles the administrative end of our county really is. And more importantly for the ordinary GAA person in Fermanagh, the lack of transparency.

Firstly the managers position; County Board officials wouldn't release the names of any candidates who were put forward. Because there were none. Thats transparency for you!

Secondly finances; Correct me if i'm wrong but both club eirne and the county finance committee stated they would give out monthly accounts at co board meetings to club delegates. This never ever happened. We get 15 minutes to look at a set of accounts which, by all accounts, are thrown together an hour or two before convention. Thats not good enough. The finance committee has no treasurer in place and members have walked away from it. Any club who have looked for a set of accounts have got quite a contrary response. Again, not good enough.

Thirdly the club eirne statement; two clubs who didn't support Canavan. Who are these clubs and why did they withdraw support? two elected members of the county executive - who are they? What is their problem? Clubs are entitled to know these details as it is clubs who voted these people in. If club eirne are prepared to release a statement then they are prepared to name names. The current £10 a month direct debit fundraiser has been a joke - are club eirne a part of this? Or is this one individuals pipe dream?

Finally
We lack leadership. Real leadership. Clubs must come up with someone better to lead our county board through stormy weather with courage and conviction. We cannot keep plodding along. It has led us to this point. Where do we go from here? Back to 2011? Do we dust off the Jarlath Burns report and see what we were told to do but didn't do? No point in comparing us to Tyrone, they have great GAA support because they have a larger GAA population and more importantly, they have tasted success. We have no success, no support and a series of 'cloak and dagger' clangers which need to be aired and then sorted.

We are an embarassment at the moment. Worse than Antrim. Any chance of the Fermanagh county board being a bit more transparent about what they have done, what they are doing to solve the problems and what they intend to do in the future either with or without club eirne?
Transparency please!

howshecuttin08 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 207 - 02/10/2013 17:59:53    1493901

Link

No, the ten pound a month fundraiser was nothing to do with the club eirne. The two clubs which withdrew there support was Enniskillen and Derrylin.

Erne12 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 62 - 03/10/2013 17:38:23    1494755

Link

BACK PAGE OF THE IRISH NEWS AGAIN FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS..THE COUNTY BOARD SHOULD HOLD THERE HEAD IN SHAME. ALWAYS AS BEEN AND ALWAYS WILL BE A LAUGHING STOCK WHEN IT COMES TO THE BROADER PICTURE.. ITS TIME NOW TO BRING IN AN INDEPENDANT BOARD TO OVERSEE THE VAST FLAWS IN THE FERMANAGH COUNTY BOARD.GET BACK CLUB ERNE SUPPORT AND TRY TO BUILD A FUTURE FOR FERMANAGH FOOTBALL.I SEE NO WAY BACK FOR THE PRESENT BOARD.GAA HAS MOVED ON WHILE FERMANAGH ARE STUCK IN THE 50'S WITH THERE ANCIENT IDEAS... MONEY.MANAGEMENT.YOUTH RAISING MONEY...LISSAN..BREWSTER PK .. ETC I HOPE THEY ISSUE A REPONSE TO THE IRISH NEWS CLAIMS AND LET THE MEDIA DECIDE WHERE THE BLAME IS.... A BEMUSED FERMANAGH GAA FAN... I DO NOT AGREE WITH PLAYER STRIKE BY THE WAY BECAUSE THE JERSEY IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING...

gaallstar (Fermanagh) - Posts: 9 - 11/10/2013 11:12:48    1499389

Link

First of all, all the progress we have made in the last 2 years is about to go down the tube.
But before we all jump on the bandwagon and blame the county board (because the blame also lies at their feet), we have to look at the role of Club Eirne.
Yes, annually the raise a lot of money for the county SENIOR team. And therein lays the problem. The money needs to be spent on our youth structures as well. We cannot have a top only approach. We have to build from the bottom up, following in the example of Cavan and Tipperary. Club Eirne cannot continue to operate independently of the county board. They have to operate within in it, like Club Tyrone does in Tyrone.
If we are serious about Fermanagh football we must have a root and branch review. This was recommended by the Burns report 2 years ago but the county board conveniently forgot to implement the part about them. The same men have been rotating the chairs on the titanic for the last 20 years. It's time for new blood with new ideas and no baggage.

If we do not, then we will free-fall again and this time the damage will be permanent.

jimmy1 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 8 - 11/10/2013 15:00:59    1499555

Link

Agree with the comments about starting from bottom up. However heads have to start rolling in our county board as where is the money being spent in our County.

Money the is derived from Croke Park for hurling development is siphoned off for football and the bare minimum is spent on our counties hurling structures.

I'm a GAA man and am an avid follower of both our games for the last 40 odd years. Our CB. is a disgrace and the whole management predicament is a complete joke. Was never a fan of canavan, however he got the best out of our players, or was it the coaches he had with him? I'd like to see CD get the job if he's in for it.

But going back to our structures, the whole GAA structures need to be changed and money separated for each code equally and we then need to start from the bottom and succeed from there!!

There needs to be complete transparency in our finances because at the moment the clubs, players and supporters are being treated like d**t by our CB representatives who think they are something!! I could really go on, but I'd be here forever.

Heads need to start rolling at the convention at the end of the year and its only the clubs that can get the ball rolling!!

Ferm4Sam (Fermanagh) - Posts: 161 - 13/10/2013 13:56:51    1500130

Link

What has been the general reaction to the "Fermanagh GAA Play your Part" fundraiser?

tinopener (Fermanagh) - Posts: 10 - 26/11/2013 11:27:55    1517927

Link

question

wats dat abouts? explin?

The_Lug_Coa (Fermanagh) - Posts: 391 - 26/11/2013 12:17:56    1517943

Link

The fundraiser on the fermanagh website: fermanagh.gaa.ie/fermanagh_fundraising_brochure.pdf

I haven't heard or seen much talk of it on here, so wondering if many people have contributed to it.

tinopener (Fermanagh) - Posts: 10 - 27/11/2013 09:58:16    1518273

Link

THE STATE OF FERMANAGH COUNTY'S FINANCES

Based on upon the last accounts produced in 2013 for the year 2012.

Fermanagh County Board Expenditure 2012 - Total Expenditure = £751,835:

All County teams in both Football and Hurling = £442,027
County Competitions = £42,878
Lissan Maintenance = £15,039
Coaching/Games Development = £90,178
Administration Expenses = £147,096
Financial Expenses = £10,873
Grants Donation = £3,744

Fermanagh County Board Income 2012 - Total Income = £595849:

Income from Croke Park/Ulster Council = £283,414
Lissan Development Income = £3,530
Club Eirne = £64,220
Club Levy = £7,955
Club Competitions - Gate Receipts = £47,915
National League Gate Share = £34,832
Commericial Income/Sponsorship = £76,844
Fundraising Activities = £18,148
Other Income = £58,991

Fermanagh County Board Debt 2012 = £155,986:

Total Expenditure = £751,835
Total Income = £595849
Shortfall = £155,986

The forecast for 2013 is apparently worst!

IrvinestownMkII (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1383 - 27/11/2013 13:56:56    1518401

Link

Just after looking at fermanagh GAA fundraising page and included in the photos are two photo of members of fermanagh ladies senior team could someone please inform me if the men's county board contributed to running of the ladies county board

smiler (Fermanagh) - Posts: 84 - 27/11/2013 18:34:58    1518546

Link

Interesting figures thrown up there. Time for some cutbacks in unnecessary expenditure.

One thing I would suggest is that players who live in the county should not be paid travel expenses and any player that has to travel more than 50 miles should be given the basic travel expenses. Players travelling in the one car to training, e.g. with sometimes up to five from Belfast, should not be able to claim individual travel expenses.

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 27/11/2013 21:36:38    1518620

Link

Why does Enniskillen Gaels get at least £50k a year from the county board for Brewster Park when it was mostly paid for by the Ulster Council?

Coa_gael (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1159 - 28/11/2013 10:44:37    1518661

Link

"Fermanagh GAA Play your Part" fundraiser

Since the County Board themselves seem unable to to fundraise sufficiently, I think each club should be asked to come up with a fundraising event for our county football team. Here are my suggestion that might appeal that clubs could get involved with:

Maguiresbridge could do "A Sleepover with the Fairies" and barbecue and camp night at their grounds;

Newtown could organise a collective Tandem Riding event involving players throughout the county riding with each other after buses;

Devenish could a arrange an all body hair shaving fundraiser;

Teemore could organise a Hilly Billy Shebeen on the hills;

Lisnaskea could arrange a Dandy Boy clothes show;

Tempo could a day in the bog,

Coa could have a Benny Hill party with women fundraiser;

Enniskillen could run a rat race since they are in abundance there;

Kinawley could have a Clock Day show;

Ederney could organise a dwarf show;

Derrygonnelly could how a pub lock-in fundraiser!

I think these fundraising ideas are different and would get clubs interested.

IrvinestownMkII (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1383 - 28/11/2013 14:59:23    1518773

Link

I LIKE YOUR THINKING ON THE FUNDRAISING IDEA . I THINK ENNISKILLEN WOULD NOT NEED TO HALF TIME DRAW . ESPECIALLY NOW WHEN THEY ARE
GETTING A HAND OUT FROM THE COUNTY BOARD

thinkingman (Fermanagh) - Posts: 20 - 28/11/2013 17:48:31    1518900

Link

hi guys the newtown tandem ma,n macca999 in the 2nd last row on the Late Late toy show at the moment!!!!

Coa_gael (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1159 - 29/11/2013 21:56:20    1519243

Link

On-going audit external occurring with county finances. This might make things a bit more transparent in the coming weeks/months.

ShowsFair (Fermanagh) - Posts: 292 - 03/12/2013 11:22:40    1520062

Link