Down Forum

Down Minors

(Oldest Posts First)

How far do yous think the minors can go this year? Was looking at the squad and theres a lot of lads that aren't on it that should be in my opinion. Good to see burren point and bridge leading the way with players on the squad. Last year these 3 teams shouldve had at least 5 each in my opinion.

DownGAA1 (Down) - Posts: 16 - 06/03/2016 16:12:03    1831177

Link

To be honest we shouldent give one dam ,where or what club our minor or senior players are from as long as we are putting the best 15 on the pitch ,Maybe thats part of our problem ,Take those BLINKERS OFF and throw them away for good

germac (Down) - Posts: 329 - 07/03/2016 21:53:25    1832113

Link

Germac ,,,,, agreed 100% with your thoughts on this one ,

topdownfan (Down) - Posts: 555 - 08/03/2016 09:06:50    1832136

Link

How can anyone take Down minor's serious when year in year out our best players at this age group aren't even given a chance. It's not the players fault, I point the finger solely at the management who wouldn't know talent if it slapped them in the face. We haven't a hope in hell of achieving success at this age level when our best players are sitting at home playing the x-box, and losing interest in GAA, when they should be representing their county on a big day out in the Ulster championship.

MourneArmy (Down) - Posts: 1787 - 08/03/2016 09:44:50    1832152

Link

There was a very extensive and inclusive trials process for the Minor footballers this (slightly too long if anything), from what I seen any lad who put himself forward had a chance to impress. There will always be a few marginal selection desicions in these situations but the current management team have made a big effort to give boys a chance and as they're in their 1st year they can't be blamed for past mistakes.

To qualify my opinion on this my son was an unsuccessful trialist this year, a personal disappointment but that doesn't make the process wrong or take away from the efforts the selectors put in from Nov to Feb

downredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 567 - 08/03/2016 12:25:57    1832257

Link

My criticisms are more based on previous management setups, from which I can speak from personal experience, and from family experience, of attending trials in the past.

I'm glad to hear the management team this year have made a big effort to give the boys a chance, I really hope it pays off.

I also feel it would be an important step forward if county minor management teams attended underage league and championship matches regularly to keep a close eye on players. It is with their clubs that teenagers play with freedom, in a comfortable environment. Sometimes trials can put added pressure on players who feel they NEED to impress so much that they underperform etc. Just a thought.

MourneArmy (Down) - Posts: 1787 - 08/03/2016 14:10:26    1832310

Link

Mournearmy unfortunatley they say every year at trials for development squads and that, that they will be looking at them in games and pulling in new players who are playing well but they dont. Bottom line. Also just on last years squad there were no trials and it was evident as there were many lads playing seniors, seconds and thirds that were minor and well capable of playing better than some of those in derry.

DownGAA1 (Down) - Posts: 16 - 09/03/2016 15:47:02    1832900

Link

Was anyone at the minor challenge match against burren minors. Didnt get a chance to go to it as i was at the U21 game.

DownGAA1 (Down) - Posts: 16 - 17/03/2016 08:39:01    1835521

Link

After seeing the down minors that lost against monaghan of course it was disappointing for the lads but there is a lot of talent coming through at underage level, the focus should be uncovering that talent and developing it. It was encouraging to see this year that there was a trialling process to give lads a fair chance, in previous years there has been a lot of talent missed out on, if i recall correctly only 1 of last years rostrevor minor winning side made the down team and other talented players from so called smaller clubs had not been given a chance. Overall it may take time to notice a chance but i think the minor team will be in a good position for the coming years with a strong management team at the helm

mournered2 (Down) - Posts: 1 - 12/06/2016 00:26:55    1865330

Link