Probably Ballygalget or Kilclief.

Frank Mitchell (Down) - Posts: 1079 - 06/10/2014 11:25:46    1660637

Link

12.10.14 (Sun)

IHC Final Ballycran V Bredagh Time: 2 00 PM , Venue: Ballygalget
Referee: Eddie Morgan

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1615 - 07/10/2014 09:02:02    1660925

Link

It's hard to call this one. Ballycran beat Bredagh in the semi final last year after a replay and went on to win the final. Bredagh haven't been going well in Antrim Div 2 and lost to Coleraine last week with a collaspe at the end.

Really hard to call but I have to go for Ballycran to win by 2. The fact it's being played in the ards helps the Crans a bit but I wouldn't be surprised if Bredagh caused a minor upset.

If it's a good day I'll take a run over to it. There won't be much more hurling this year.

Frank Mitchell (Down) - Posts: 1079 - 10/10/2014 09:07:33    1662175

Link

Portaferry will win handy, but Lisbellaw will always give a good honest effort. Lisbellaw would only be Intermediate level but the way these competitions are set up in Hurling differ from Football. If you win the Intermediate Championship then you have to play in Senior for the next five years. Lisbellaw won the Intermediate two years ago. Clones is a bit far for Portaferry to travel. Athletic Grounds would have been perfect but I think there Football Championship matches on there on Sunday.

martinprince (Tyrone) - Posts: 187 - 10/10/2014 10:29:44    1662240

Link

Good win for Bredagh yesterday. I honestly thought the Crans would win. A tight game?

Seannie Og (Down) - Posts: 952 - 13/10/2014 08:07:34    1663037

Link

Fair play and well done to Bredagh on winning the IHC by a late late point in yesterdays final! So the JHC, the IHC, the Minor A Championship and the U16 A championship titles are all now sitting on the 'other' side of the water.....has the worm turned?
I wonder will Bredagh play in the SHC next season - I really hope so as that game will be an exellent indicator as to how far they have came on.

If anyone who was at the game could stick up a quick match report, it would be really appreciated! Any big scores? Any big calls by the ref? Any cards?

Congrats Bredagh!

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1615 - 13/10/2014 09:00:22    1663045

Link

TBH it was an end of season game lacking any real bite, but close nonetheless. We were holding a two/three point lead until a high ball in wasn't too well dealt with by our keeper who batted it out to a bredagh man who put it in the net at the second attempt. That got them going a bit, but we still went and took the lead by giving away frees, some dubious led to our downfall.

Bredagh won't count at senior with that team, even Ballygalget will put 15 plus on them.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2501 - 13/10/2014 09:50:38    1663060

Link

Conditions were really good in Ballygalget yesterday & I was hoping for a good game. It turned out to be a good close game but it only really got going in the last 10 minutes.

Ballycran got an early goal and kept in front to half time. James Hernry has the heart of a lion and was in great form in the half forwards marking a lad 2 foot taller than him. Divil saved a Bredagh penalty after Phelim Brennan pulled the big full forward down with a rugby tackle! There is very little chance of scoring a goal from a penalty now with the new rule.

In second half Bredagh dominated for 10 minutes, had a couple of goal chances but couldn't make the dominance count. Ballycran went 2 up. Bredagh got a goal. Ballycran went ahead again with a few points and were 3 up with 10 minutes left. Bredagh took control and drew level with 3 points without reply. At this point the ref made a couple of really odd calls first for Crans then for Bredagh. The frees were both scored and with a minute left a really soft free allowed Bredagh to win it. The no 15 for Bredagh is a good free taker & the young keeper had a good game.

It was great to see Gazza coming on in a county final to play along side his young lad Liam.

Theres no way Bredagh should play senior next year. They are no where near senior level yet and it would serve no useful purpose for them or their opponents.

Frank Mitchell (Down) - Posts: 1079 - 13/10/2014 10:28:46    1663082

Link

Thanks for the report Frank.

My point was that they have earned the right to play in the SHC next year...!!!

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1615 - 13/10/2014 10:43:59    1663089

Link

do you think there could be a combined team from the clubs in South Down and then throw in Bredagh, Kilclief and Carryduff that could challenge the three Ards teams?

cdl (Down) - Posts: 41 - 13/10/2014 12:09:00    1663126

Link

Wow, cdl..

I don't think that has ever been tried before, why don't they enter together as An Dún Theas or something like that, it really would be novel!!

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2501 - 13/10/2014 13:53:33    1663181

Link

I think cdl is referring to two amalgamated teams here. One amalgamated team was tried before cdl and didn't work but no harm and revisiting again esp. when at underage colleges we have a Down schools team

Tim_Burr (Down) - Posts: 460 - 13/10/2014 15:09:18    1663203

Link

Considering our senior championship consists of two games, a semi and a final then surely something should be done.

Yes,
have a round robin championship, if Bredagh want to go it alone or as part of an North East Down combination with Carryduff, Kilclief and whoever else, then a South Down combination in it as well. That way there'd at least be three or four games each with the top two into a knockout final.

BUT once the big ball comes acalling the activities committee won't find dates for the fixtures, but no issue with junior football reserve football and what not.
Some of us old enough will remember a Down junior get together looking for lads who turned up to watch a game asked to strip out as the CB had put a load of football fixtures on a the same time...

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2501 - 13/10/2014 16:27:01    1663245

Link

The Mole
"Fair play and well done to Bredagh on winning the IHC by a late late point in yesterdays final! So the JHC, the IHC, the Minor A Championship and the U16 A championship titles are all now sitting on the 'other' side of the water.....has the worm turned?"

I wonder if the new incoming senior county manager will take this in???

Christy4Down (Down) - Posts: 177 - 14/10/2014 12:40:49    1663481

Link

The Mole
"Fair play and well done to Bredagh on winning the IHC by a late late point in yesterdays final! So the JHC, the IHC, the Minor A Championship and the U16 A championship titles are all now sitting on the 'other' side of the water.....has the worm turned?"

The worm is certainly turning Mole, if you add in the U14A championship and Feile, there is an amazing haul of trophies across the water. The Ards teams still lead the way though with their excellent senior teams and they will take nervous comfort from the fact that Jeramiah still resides on the peninsula and is likely to do so for a few more years. But I can see that changing. Its all about the next generation of hurlers coming through. Bredagh started 5 minors on their team on Sunday that won the Intermediate title. Carryduff won the JHC with a very youthful outfit and Lietrim won minor A and were just pipped by Carryduff in U16A. They have the potential to push on at senior. Many of these talented young hurlers from the mainland should be drafted into the Senior setup and training and playing with the Ardsmen will develop them further.

Exciting times ahead in Down hurling

down12792 (Down) - Posts: 123 - 15/10/2014 09:25:30    1663798

Link

Joe McCrickard Cup won by Ballycran this afternoon as expected. I was there as a neutral. Ballycran were the better team and found it easy in second half. Final score was something like 4-14 to 1-4.

It's great to see the CCC getting football refs to do these games. We haven't enough hurling referees. I thought the crowd enjoyed the fresh approach to refereeing hurling brought by the man from across the water.

Seannie Og (Down) - Posts: 952 - 19/10/2014 19:34:20    1665239

Link

Dominc Kearns is a hurling ref...maybe does the odd big ball game as well.. - also, there is a J McCrickard thread :)

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1615 - 20/10/2014 10:39:08    1665364

Link