Down Forum

2020 Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To bricktop:  "home game in Newry, but alas Offaly made light work of Derry and will do the same to us.

No shame in that, just hope the lads give it a right lash.

We need to be getting prepared for these types of games in Div2A next year. friendlies at the other end of the country."
Derry played the wrong tactics in the first half, leaving a free man at the back for Offaly was not working and should have changed it after 10 mins. Going a man down didn't help either. I am not saying they would have won but they could have made a tighter game out of it. Downs half forwards HAVE to be on their game as Offaly's half back line are tight. Frees, cut them out!!!! Derry's full forward line were starved of ball, Down need a quick supply from the start and utilise what they have. No room to hide nor to carry players. I expect a tight game.

swan song (None) - Posts: 450 - 10/11/2020 21:12:23    2307364

Link

Well........what can you say? Guts , bravery, tenacity, well done lads you worked for it and got it. I take my hat off to you.
At times I thought it was leaving Down but kept hey coming back. A lot of silly frees given and no competition for high balls , somthing to work on next training session and in around the breaking ball.
Well done once again.

swan song (None) - Posts: 450 - 14/11/2020 16:21:51    2308748

Link

Brilliant - Well done to team & management. They can plan for Kildare with plenty of confidence. Down can definitely compete well in 2A next season.

SouthCounty (Down) - Posts: 43 - 14/11/2020 16:25:37    2308749

Link

Hail, Down the brave. I always had great admiration for Down hurling. From a tiny pick of clubs from the mid nineties to our mammoth christy ring final battle with you in 2005. Drive on and win it lads.

overdabar (Westmeath) - Posts: 212 - 14/11/2020 16:35:57    2308755

Link

Well done today lads....goes to show that showing up is not enough. You have to MAKE it happen. I don't think we would have had matters as easy last year if Conor Woods was playing. Be careful of Kildare though.

MillerX (Meath) - Posts: 748 - 14/11/2020 17:36:43    2308788

Link

Fantastic result! Great courage and guts!

saulgael (Down) - Posts: 549 - 14/11/2020 18:09:22    2308811

Link

What a result lads very very well played when no one gave yous a chance, but as viper has said nothings won yet I'm sure now the bookies will know to never write a mourne team off.

Have to give huge credit to ronan and his team, I've read some stuff on this site over the years slagging him off but what he's done for down hurling is incredible, he had most of that panel from a young age and he's stuck with them through the hard times and now he gets to realish the good. Fair play ronan.

Viper the hero, fantastic display from eoghan sands and p mccrikard. Conor woods again brilliant as well as CT. train hard lads and give it everything as I'm sure yous will. Good luck

Antrimroad (Down) - Posts: 93 - 15/11/2020 08:08:44    2309015

Link

Great performance credit must go to the management team aswell.. Good to see players from 7 different teams getting game time yesterday.. halfback line outstanding again yesterday as was D Hughes, P.Og and the Sands.. Is that promotion secured regardless of final result? Some decent games to look forward to next year .. also taught pairctv coverage and commentary excellent yesterday

dingle82 (Down) - Posts: 187 - 15/11/2020 09:39:56    2309032

Link

Yip Kildare and Down both in Joe McDonagh in 2021 -Every chance of Antrim playing In Leinster Championship too. Ulster hurling hasn't gone away you know!

SouthCounty (Down) - Posts: 43 - 15/11/2020 12:09:54    2309089

Link

Massive congratulations to the team and management, a dogged display and never say die attitude got the result they fully deserved.

Jab.Lift (Down) - Posts: 105 - 15/11/2020 13:58:20    2309145

Link

Got that one wrong and gladly. What a win and if anything Offaly were the ones holding on for most of the game.

Well done to the management, the players and everyone involved.

I know we're in the Joe McDonagh next year, but lets finish off in style and beat Kildare.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2466 - 16/11/2020 11:08:11    2309884

Link

Now that the euphoria has died down and the celebrations are over and we all accept it was a great win I think the management will have to watch the reruns of the game and rectify the issues that could have cost the game. Not being competitive under the high ball in the half forwards, it was plain to see that the lads were waiting on the half backs to drop or fumble the ball which did not happen. Standing waiting for this to happen is inexcusable and taking the easy way out. It was evident throughout the game and indefensible!
Puck outs have to go to hand not to knee, foot or over head. It was hard for the defenders to get the ball into their hand from a heavy pitch and being under pressure from Offaly forwards, this did lead to turnovers.
FREES!!!!! Stupid, mindless, unnecessary, lazy, inexcusable, foolish frees gave away in score-able positions on the pitch could have cost the game, it was lucky that the Offaly free takers were not dialled in.
Quick, low, direct ball will have to be played into the full forward like in Croke Park as it will be dryer and a cleaner surface which will result in scores or score-able frees.

Down did beat Kildare twice this year but I do expect a much tighter game on Sunday. I hope to see the Christy Ring cup displayed in Down this year at the end of what promises to be a thrilling game.

Cut out the frees, compete for the high ball in the half forward line, quick low ball into the full forwards zand accurate puck outs should see Down over the line! Good luck and enjoy your big day out.

swan song (None) - Posts: 450 - 16/11/2020 11:54:25    2309941

Link

Well done on a fantastic win at the weekend. Both ourselves and yourselves have a lot of similarities.

Second code small picks only played in a tight pocket in the county. Although great to see your championship up to 4 senior teams and being competitive shows how hard work will pay off.

Always enjoyed our battles over the years great hurling people full of pride and passion and wins like the weekend don't happen by chance they happen when people work hard and buy into things which is what seems to be happening here.

Thoroughly deserved and looking forward to playing you next year hopefully we can see down hurling thrive and get the days out they deserve.

Ulster hurling is alive and well.

ITSCHOLAR (Carlow) - Posts: 250 - 16/11/2020 18:25:19    2310276

Link

Replying To ITSCHOLAR:  "Well done on a fantastic win at the weekend. Both ourselves and yourselves have a lot of similarities.

Second code small picks only played in a tight pocket in the county. Although great to see your championship up to 4 senior teams and being competitive shows how hard work will pay off.

Always enjoyed our battles over the years great hurling people full of pride and passion and wins like the weekend don't happen by chance they happen when people work hard and buy into things which is what seems to be happening here.

Thoroughly deserved and looking forward to playing you next year hopefully we can see down hurling thrive and get the days out they deserve.

Ulster hurling is alive and well."
Carlow are the blue print for Down, god I remember the days we'd have been concerned if Carlow had beaten us although the likes of Pat Quirke were fit for any team in Ireland and broke our hearts one day in Trim.

You lads had a few handy minor teams giving anyone in Leinster their fill of it over the recent years whereas we're a bit stop start underage wise, but we'll keep hammering away.

If Ulster hurling is alive, then it's not for anything the Ulster Council have done as they'd abdicated responsibility a long time ago.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2466 - 17/11/2020 09:44:45    2310509

Link

Is the CR final available to watch outside the Island of Ireland?

saulgael (Down) - Posts: 549 - 18/11/2020 15:04:54    2311089

Link

Replying To saulgael:  "Is the CR final available to watch outside the Island of Ireland?"
It's being streamed on YouTube so would imagine it's available to view anywhere.

cranfanatic (Down) - Posts: 101 - 19/11/2020 09:48:31    2311307

Link

Just thinking has the window of opportunity passed to play out the intermediate and junior championship, could not see much enthusiasm if games are allowed to be played if lockdown restrictions are eased down south next week

Jab.Lift (Down) - Posts: 105 - 25/11/2020 15:50:35    2315279

Link

Replying To Jab.Lift:  "Just thinking has the window of opportunity passed to play out the intermediate and junior championship, could not see much enthusiasm if games are allowed to be played if lockdown restrictions are eased down south next week"
Apparently was going to happen preseason 2021 but with Christmas / New Year etc there will probably be another lock down of sorts in January

SouthCounty (Down) - Posts: 43 - 26/11/2020 18:48:14    2315715

Link

Replying To SouthCounty:  "Apparently was going to happen preseason 2021 but with Christmas / New Year etc there will probably be another lock down of sorts in January"
They will definitely play the championships, when is another matter and like every other Championship teams will bust themselves to win it.

dufferman (Down) - Posts: 150 - 28/11/2020 18:18:18    2316215

Link