Westmeath Forum

Minor Hurling Final

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

raharney could have went home sunday evening with 2 trophies but instead went home with none.to try and dictate what happens in this county is uncalled for and deserve a fine and more,the two doyles play both minor and senior but might aswell have not played the senior final because they were hopeless,clonkill had two minors who didnt start,raharney have a senior,intermediate and junior senior team so they had enough players to tog for senior and let the lads play there own grade first.the other 20 or so players now on each team will miss out on the big occasion of lining out on county final day with there clubs,same question was put to me about my club and i said it would be brilliant and a privilege for my club to be in the county final for both age groups,not a problem

pplareafraid (Westmeath) - Posts: 11 - 20/10/2015 15:55:43    1800655

Link

Clonkill had one minor starting and the other came on at half time??? Raharney seem to be getting the brunt of this even though two teams were involved. Some posts here are pathetic and actually seem to be punishing the doyle twins for being talented enough to be integral parts of a senior team while still being under 18.

dakid (Australia) - Posts: 263 - 20/10/2015 17:15:09    1800686

Link

There is a lot of concern, rightly or wrongly for the welfare of players being discussed; stating that minor players are being 'forced' to play up to 120 minutes of hurling etc....following the debacle last Sunday, from my point of view, it's quite simple; The players for whom most of the welfare concern has been expressed were minor players; THE MINOR PLAYERS ARE PICKED ON SENIOR TEAMS BY THEIR CLUB NOT BY COUNTY BOARD OR ANYONE ELSE!!!
If there is so much concern over the minor players, why did the Clubs not decide to let those players play in the Minor Final (which we should remember is their correct grade!) and then not bother with the Senior Final????
It is extraordinary to read a Club Secretary state that a Minor Championship is not worth winning under a cloud....That begs the question, do they really hold any regard for their minor team? Why bother enter a competition, play all the way to the final and then don't bother to turn up, even though they knew for the past six or seven months that the Minor and Senior finals were scheduled for the same day................

tazz (Westmeath) - Posts: 52 - 21/10/2015 20:38:28    1801119

Link

I answer to previous about Plunkets they were deducted 2 points and fined €5000 for not fielding.

nearlymadeit (Westmeath) - Posts: 82 - 22/10/2015 09:18:12    1801161

Link

Rules are the rules and the rule states disqualification Suspensions fines and just because it's raharney they think they can do
what they want all you have to do is look at there manner on the sideline at any of there underage games not as bad in the senior because
they play most games in cusak,

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 22/10/2015 10:43:37    1801181

Link

Some of the posts are way over the top.Oliver Plunketts were indeed docked two points for not fielding because they refused to play two championship matches in THREE DAYS.They weren't thrown out of the competition and the notion they paid a 5000 euro fine is simply ludicrous.
We have to protect our talented players not destroy them.I accept that the clubs may not have handled this perfectly but the county board did not use commom sense.Lets hope they do quickly and we might still retrieve the situation.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 860 - 22/10/2015 11:21:34    1801193

Link

I have a feeling this will be played off as both clubs will threaten to pull county players next year and the likes of CTG will back them as they might be in the same situation in the next few years
just because one or two clubs have some talented players doesn't mean they can dictate the way things are run

at the same time, while all this is going on, the minor B and Under 16 B competitions are not even at the knockout stages and the lack of hurling games for minor players in the county is ridiculous
are the two senior clubs worried about hurling in the county? no. just their own agendas

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1799 - 22/10/2015 12:40:52    1801215

Link

ROGERDOGER
Its very clear you dislike Raharney whats the reason

RAHKILL (Westmeath) - Posts: 395 - 22/10/2015 14:39:59    1801271

Link

If the two clubs in question pull players from county that's there problem there are plenty of hurlers in Westmeath its not as if we have a Henry shefflin or a Joe canning we hurl at a way slower pace than even the likes of Offaly our intensity is not up there with the likes of Dublin either how often do you see Westmeath players break the tackle when in possession , hardly ever looking at county final last Sunday the amount of times that players had to stop to strike the ball just proves this . Paurie Butler has been saying it for years the weaker counties need to put a plan together to work on this and that takes time years even, wall ball is a good start but not every club can avail or have the proper trained coaches to quicken it all up. Anyone who has seen killkenny train will know what I am saying here. Brownstown are back up senior and castletown have a lot of hurlers coming along with what they have already, collinstown are coming as a force again and castlepollard contested the final last year and with the likes of Alfie and Ollie devine involved at underage you can bet they will be in contention again , I don't see other clubs pulling players over raharney , lads might be a lot friendlier these days hanging around together and socializing than 10 years ago but when it boils down to it rivalry's are still lurking examples are clonkill v llgaels, castletown v raharney lower leval southern Gaels v fr Dalton's ringtown v pollard , . there was a lot of talk about clonkill and raharney playing a draw in the minor and not using the minor\senior players but one could not trust the other to chance it. Everyone involved in hurling in Westmeath knows at least 3-4 lads from different clubs that could play county but because of politics among selectors involved at inter county they never get the chance the same works with players that won't come in and hurl county because they don't like the manager or a selector.if either club pull players it won't be the end of the world its not as if there is going to be Leinster medal at the end of the year, everyone knows the two best teams in the country will contest the Leinster Final that's the way the draw is made, Westmeath to beat Offaly in round robin would be considered a shock and Offaly hurling is at a low point, then we can't honestly say we can beat Kerry or Carlow if anything Kerry hurling is in a stronger place and has been for years I remember them beating us in croke park about 14 years ago in div 2 league final they had a young Paul Galvin playing . u21s have killkenny in first round in nowlan park I just wonder how many lads will be injured or not include themselves on the panel for this fixture and who could blame them. Will the minors on show in last Sunday's senior final put it up to the cats, going on performances v Dublin minor and Offaly u21 this year I don't think so, Mitch is a good ball winner but someday that arm going up without protection is going to get favoured by a back, the doles don't field ball they need it fed in low and too be honest they don't look very fit its not u14 hurling anymore, goonery was out of his depth when introduced v clonkill the only minor that stood out was Egerton he gave raharney backs the run around.

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 22/10/2015 14:49:51    1801277

Link

I don't dislike raharney I am just stating facts that's the way it is in Westmeath my own club are no where near perfect but we would not stop players getting the chance to play in a minor final
Do clonkill or castletown or castlepollard etc carry on the way mentors do on the sideline at games from raharney if they do then I have not seen it ,, lets face it they always seem to be at the tail end of every controversial spat in Westmeath hurling, in cusak park last Sunday 99% of clubs wanted clonkill to win if you were in the greville or annebrooke and Bren murtaghs pub there were a lot of county players happy for clonkill.

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 22/10/2015 15:06:00    1801287

Link

roger sorry uisneach will ya take a chill pill there you're off the chart with some of that stuff

Brendanj (Westmeath) - Posts: 65 - 22/10/2015 15:42:19    1801303

Link

Obviously I am being mistaken for someone, all the better, posters on here trying to draw others out and for what reason ?
County board knows who's who on here the same as admin so don't be fooling yourselves.

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 22/10/2015 17:22:19    1801331

Link

Obviously I am being mistaken for someone, all the better, posters on here trying to draw others out and for what reason ?
County board knows who's who on here the same as admin so don't be fooling yourselves.

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 22/10/2015 17:22:55    1801334

Link

ROGERDOGER
A lot of your posts are based on heresay
And Egerton has to be good with hes CTG genes

RAHKILL (Westmeath) - Posts: 395 - 22/10/2015 18:50:32    1801357

Link

Aloisyos Egerton played with clonkill and the downs for years I'd say tthat's where the young lad
gets it from I would not know anything else about his DNA . I do know however a lot of hurling people
from around the county as I work in Mullingar and I am meeting them everyday even from clonkill and
Raharney and that's how I know what is going on in the clubs, i must add however i love hurling and i have
made many friends from it and my opinion is just that mine, and I think it was wrong to not contest minor
final in all my years following hurling in Westmeath I've never seen this carry on and I don't think hurling
In Westmeath is in a good place the county board put in as much work behind hurling as they do football
but narrow minds in certain hurling clubs are holding the game back why is football so much stronger
Why can't the hurlers not reach a Leinster Final its because of too much rivalry and in fighting and raharney seem
to be always in the thick of it.

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 228 - 22/10/2015 19:52:15    1801371

Link

someone would want to tell the county board about putting a hurling plan in place, same with underage football
they don't know what is happening two weeks in advance, never mind for the next 5 years
there are some good hurlers in most clubs at U10 and U12 level. I've seen some brilliant skilled hurlers in the likes of Southern Gaels, Fr Daltons, Turin over the summer but unfortunately most of them will never be involved with a Westmeath squad because
A - the clubs they play for (not senior clubs - snobbery)
B - no effort to run talent identification at U10 and U12 (Laois do this). Talented players within the county need to be brought together and developed.
C - poor structure on competitions. Why is there no U11 league run in hurling (when the football clubs secretly ran a league amongst themselves all summer). In well organised counties the U12/U14 is run off by the end of the summer and then its into U11, U13 and U15 competitions
D - the primary or secondary school they attend.
E - standard of coaching in the clubs. Why is there no calendar in place for courses and workshops being run over the winter? Look up Wexford coaching and games and see the program they have in place.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1799 - 22/10/2015 21:24:34    1801400

Link

Minor Final refixed for Mon 26th Oct 1 pm Cusack Park

RAHKILL (Westmeath) - Posts: 395 - 22/10/2015 21:37:41    1801406

Link

If this is the case fair due to the county board for Refixing this. They have come in for a lot of bad press which was not of their making.the 2 clubs should be ashamed of themselves and not be letting managers dictate .

nearlymadeit (Westmeath) - Posts: 82 - 23/10/2015 14:05:45    1801558

Link

Fair dues to the county board????.......Why didn't they make this decision last week so & avoid what happened last Sunday. Did they only discover last night that convention hadn't the power on such matters???? I think the threat of both clubs pulling their county players meant the CB had no choice but to re-fix the game. Once again, another embarrassing episode which could have been avoided....and one which I don't think reflects well on any of the parties involved.

JoeytheLips (None) - Posts: 44 - 23/10/2015 15:11:23    1801576

Link

I know what other clubs will be doing next year when they don't like a fixture!

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1799 - 23/10/2015 16:50:10    1801606

Link