Westmeath Forum

Westmeath J.F.C. 2021

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Unlucky? How? They were well beaten in every game bar Kilbeggan and their age profile suggests getting back to intermediate would be a step too far.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 188 - 18/01/2021 19:15:19    2327984

Link

Replying To Mattyreilly:  "Bunbrosna should win out junior. Unlucky to go down last year"
Really ? From what I seen they were by far the worst team in the intermediate championship. With an ageing side & probably a few of retirements coming they'll struggle to get back up. A young team like the downs or garrycastle would run them off the field & at that are probably better footballers aswell never mind being younger & fitter

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 18/01/2021 19:43:53    2327988

Link

So ye are dismissing Ballinagore ? They did get surprsingly well beaten at Qfinal stage last year by Lomans but surely they'll be keen to make up. I believe they were quite sickened by the sight of Lomans import Jones playing that game who went on to start the senior semi and final if I'm not mistaken. But all within the rules as he had only just signed.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 740 - 18/01/2021 20:50:09    2327991

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "So ye are dismissing Ballinagore ? They did get surprsingly well beaten at Qfinal stage last year by Lomans but surely they'll be keen to make up. I believe they were quite sickened by the sight of Lomans import Jones playing that game who went on to start the senior semi and final if I'm not mistaken. But all within the rules as he had only just signed."
I would rule them out personally. They have it in them to maybe cause an upset against one of the favorites but I don't think there near good enough to win it.
Wouldn't you be too if you seen a new lad coming in to an opposition side to play junior when he is clearly good enough for senior & then ends up going to play senior in the end.

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 18/01/2021 21:28:28    2327997

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "Group 1
Athlone
Ballinagore
Bunbrosna
The Downs
Garrycastle
St Lomans

Group 2
Ballycomoyle
Castletown Finea/Coole/Whitehall
Coralstown/Kinnegad & Killucan
Mullingar Shamrocks
St Josephs
St Pauls"
I hear it was decided in a meeting on Thursday night to revert back to the old group system and the 6 junior clubs are in a group and the 6 second teams in another

locklanegale (Wexford) - Posts: 59 - 24/01/2021 10:56:29    2328721

Link

Replying To locklanegale:  "I hear it was decided in a meeting on Thursday night to revert back to the old group system and the 6 junior clubs are in a group and the 6 second teams in another"
Yes I heard the same but both groups will have equal access to knockout stages.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 740 - 24/01/2021 13:08:36    2328735

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Yes I heard the same but both groups will have equal access to knockout stages."
So how many through each group ?
Is it 4 teams & then have 4 quarter finals
Or would it be 3 teams through each group top team in each go to semi final and 2nd & 3rd in both groups play to quarter finals ?

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 24/01/2021 13:39:51    2328739

Link

I'd imagine same as senior and intermediate ie 1 into semi, 2 into quarter ?

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 740 - 24/01/2021 15:42:32    2328764

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "I'd imagine same as senior and intermediate ie 1 into semi, 2 into quarter ?"
Senior & intermediate is 4 teams come out of group 1 & 2 teams come out of group 2 . Top two in group 1 go to semis , 3rd & 4th in group 1 play 1st & 2nd In group 2 in quarter finals.

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 24/01/2021 20:47:57    2328815

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Killucan Kinnegad is the 2020 junior 2 final yet to be played. Winners go into junior 1.

In relation to Delvin players, some underage footballers have moved in the absence of football in Delvin / St Pauls at some age groups. Most I believe went to Lomans, and the 2 Drumms joined The Downs. But traditionally I believe The Downs rarely get new players in. The town teams normally benefit most."
Its a classic example of the "chicken & the egg" thing. Players leave because theres no football available or theres no football available because players leave and theres not enough players to field a team!

Boarderboy (Meath) - Posts: 99 - 26/01/2021 12:28:05    2328988

Link

Junior championship has been reverted back to old system.
Very strange decision.
Senior clubs with junior teams will now have to also name 19 players that can not play senior. In my opinion this will ruin the junior championship. Junior clubs have been crying that senior clubs with junior teams are too strong but I don't understand this because when was the last time a senior club won the junior championship???

If you are a junior club that can not beat the likes of St Lomans/The Downs/Garrycastle's junior teams you are not good enough to be in a intermediate championship.

Last years junior championship was a very enjoyable and I'm disappointed that junior clubs think they aren't good enough to beat the senior clubs second outfit

Temple56 (Westmeath) - Posts: 76 - 26/01/2021 13:21:24    2329003

Link

Should the Junior Football Championship be ;

A) a competition available to all clubs which possess a side which is of Junior Standard ?
or
B) a competition exclusively for Junior clubs only ?

I looked at Lomans 2nd team in the 2020 JFC final, clearly a decent Junior side (but no more), yet some Junior clubs feel the likes of Lomans shouldn't be even in the competition ?

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 26/01/2021 13:42:26    2329006

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "Should the Junior Football Championship be ;

A) a competition available to all clubs which possess a side which is of Junior Standard ?
or
B) a competition exclusively for Junior clubs only ?

I looked at Lomans 2nd team in the 2020 JFC final, clearly a decent Junior side (but no more), yet some Junior clubs feel the likes of Lomans shouldn't be even in the competition ?"
All these senior second teams are competing well in the Junior championship because they are not good enough for Intermediate. The Intermediate championship is of a way higher standard than it was when Shamrocks, Lomans, Athlone were all in it. Helped by the Senior being cut to 12 teams in early 00's. I'm old enough to remember Shamrocks second team winning Intermediate against Kinnegad. It was such a poor quality competition.
It's tough on the small junior teams when a player who is objectively a senior player lines out in Junior championship. But there is not much that can be done about this if he hasn't played senior yet. The smaller clubs need as much help as can be given to them, but removing the competition will not make them any better. And the team that does win Junior will be less well equipped to do well at Intermediate. Tubberclair are much better off for having had the competition they had last year.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 278 - 26/01/2021 15:29:57    2329027

Link

Replying To jamsie:  "All these senior second teams are competing well in the Junior championship because they are not good enough for Intermediate. The Intermediate championship is of a way higher standard than it was when Shamrocks, Lomans, Athlone were all in it. Helped by the Senior being cut to 12 teams in early 00's. I'm old enough to remember Shamrocks second team winning Intermediate against Kinnegad. It was such a poor quality competition.
It's tough on the small junior teams when a player who is objectively a senior player lines out in Junior championship. But there is not much that can be done about this if he hasn't played senior yet. The smaller clubs need as much help as can be given to them, but removing the competition will not make them any better. And the team that does win Junior will be less well equipped to do well at Intermediate. Tubberclair are much better off for having had the competition they had last year."
I think you hit the nail on the head Jamsie. I also agree with your opinion on Tubberclair, I personally think Tubberclair will be hard-beaten in this years wide-open Intermediate. I'd love to see Bun bounce back but i think Downs are certs for 2021 Junior, with either of the 2 Mullingar sides as dark horses.

KooCullen (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 26/01/2021 15:48:06    2329032

Link

Replying To KooCullen:  "I think you hit the nail on the head Jamsie. I also agree with your opinion on Tubberclair, I personally think Tubberclair will be hard-beaten in this years wide-open Intermediate. I'd love to see Bun bounce back but i think Downs are certs for 2021 Junior, with either of the 2 Mullingar sides as dark horses."
The new format places all junior clubs in 1 group & all senior clubs 2nd teams in the other. From reading the paper it looks like 4 teams come out of each group for quarter finals. With this structure there's a high chance of 4 senor clubs making the semi finals.

Left Full (Westmeath) - Posts: 191 - 27/01/2021 09:19:01    2329104

Link

Koo you are bigging up The Downs massively there. Potentially Lomans Athlone and Garrycastle would be in with a good shout too surely. It can vary from year to year depending on availability but you'd imagine numbers will be strong for the bigger clubs.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 740 - 27/01/2021 11:29:37    2329125

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Koo you are bigging up The Downs massively there. Potentially Lomans Athlone and Garrycastle would be in with a good shout too surely. It can vary from year to year depending on availability but you'd imagine numbers will be strong for the bigger clubs."
Athlone never really do that well in the JFC so I would rule them out. I think The Downs are favorites to win it with bun been close seconds. Lomans And garrycastle are not too far off it either The downs have youth on their side like Lomans but I think the quality of footballers in the downs at junior level are better quality than those of Lomans. As ive said in a previous post C/F/C/W & Ballycoymoyle prove a test to the "favorites" and the favorites some times stumble at the challenge of either of those teams.

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 27/01/2021 12:53:24    2329145

Link

The problem isn't with senior second teams being in the competition, the problems lies with having the second teams in the same groups as the sole junior clubs, for example, the team a senior club puts out in the first round is typically stronger than the teams fielded in the later rounds as players become ineligible by playing senior championship , which results in it being down to the luck of the draw as to what stage you play a 2nd team

westmeathgaa11 (Westmeath) - Posts: 96 - 27/01/2021 13:00:17    2329146

Link

Replying To westmeathgaa11:  "The problem isn't with senior second teams being in the competition, the problems lies with having the second teams in the same groups as the sole junior clubs, for example, the team a senior club puts out in the first round is typically stronger than the teams fielded in the later rounds as players become ineligible by playing senior championship , which results in it being down to the luck of the draw as to what stage you play a 2nd team"
Lomans are the only team I can recall in fielding players In junior & then them players go on to play senior.

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 27/01/2021 13:12:19    2329147

Link

Replying To westmeathgaa11:  "The problem isn't with senior second teams being in the competition, the problems lies with having the second teams in the same groups as the sole junior clubs, for example, the team a senior club puts out in the first round is typically stronger than the teams fielded in the later rounds as players become ineligible by playing senior championship , which results in it being down to the luck of the draw as to what stage you play a 2nd team"
Sure their teams can be inconsistent over the course of the year. But so can any clubs, with lads going to the US for the middle rounds of game for example. It's not as simple as the senior second teams getting weaker as the year goes on. The last time a senior club won the junior was Shamrocks in 2013. Their team got stronger with every round as more and more lads (who would often be senior players) came back from injuries. If they had to play stronger junior teams back in May or June they would probably have been knocked out then.

Andy_Capp (Westmeath) - Posts: 277 - 27/01/2021 13:36:25    2329153

Link