UK Forum

The Future Of London GAA After Covid-19

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To WestAwake88:  "Good luck finding out!

Not a word on the social media from the county board yet every other county in Britain seems to have acknowledged the provincial board's announcement in some way."
Once again London's PRO and communication is shocking.
The last couple of years has been really poor for clubs. A bit of a fuss was made around the county teams when they were playing but outside of that we're way behind. Dissapointing in this day and age

LondainGael (UK) - Posts: 11 - 25/03/2021 09:12:12    2334988

Link

Replying To LondainGael:  "Once again London's PRO and communication is shocking.
The last couple of years has been really poor for clubs. A bit of a fuss was made around the county teams when they were playing but outside of that we're way behind. Dissapointing in this day and age"
i doubt we will see any improvement, to get any updates on games you have to follow the indivial clubs, some are very good at updating on games fixtures etc, some still stuck in teh dark ages

Rosineri1 (UK) - Posts: 2028 - 25/03/2021 15:42:57    2335017

Link

So looks like games will begin mid April with the league - 2020 championship to be completed in May.

WestAwake88 (Galway) - Posts: 72 - 31/03/2021 09:03:32    2335420

Link

Not covid related but have to say the new London jerseys for this year are stunning!!!!

edshamrocks (Wexford) - Posts: 340 - 04/04/2021 10:55:47    2335924

Link

Replying To Rosineri1:  "i doubt we will see any improvement, to get any updates on games you have to follow the indivial clubs, some are very good at updating on games fixtures etc, some still stuck in teh dark ages"
It has been very disappointing for a few years to be honest. But fairs fair, there seems to be more coming out from the board so far, new jerseys, county history peices, strategic plan etc so I'm hopeful things will improve when it comes to letting people know about fixtures and results. This new board deserves a chance and do seem to want to involve all the clubs and do things right. Fingers crossed.

Under a previous username (LondonBhoy...Can't for the life of me log back into it) and probably somewhere far back on this thread I ranted about the communications of fixtures and results, at times it has been so bad it almost seemed a deliberate wind up! Here's hoping for better.

No London or British based teams in league or Championship this year, what effect, if any, will that have on clubs?

My own club's youth teams back out training from first week it was allowed and it's been brilliant stuff. Great to see the kids running around in the fresh air with smiles on their faces and parents delighted too. There is some seriously dedicated and hardworking people here keeping our games alive and some clubs doing fantastic work.

I'm hoping London get fixtures up and running ASAP, Hertfordshire have their league starting weekend of 18th April, I can't see any reason to not get things going within a few weeks. Getting games up and running sooner rather than later might get a few players over too.

London125 (UK) - Posts: 19 - 09/04/2021 18:50:45    2336634

Link

lift off this weekend, great to have games back, be interesting to see which teams have recruited well, am hearing KKG have picked up some decent new players.

Rosineri1 (UK) - Posts: 2028 - 21/04/2021 10:02:36    2338161

Link

Can someone please clarify the rules regarding new players and the 2020 semi finals that are to be played? I'm hearing they are ineligible even if they have not played 2020 championship elsewhere? KKG indeed seem to have picked up some very good Kerry lads and I'm hearing Neasden have lost a number of players.

gorby580 (Limerick) - Posts: 165 - 21/04/2021 16:24:12    2338234

Link

No idea what the rule will be regarding new players but to be honest I couldn't see the point in not letting new players play. Half last season's team may have gone home, be pointless to have lads there that couldn't play

London125 (UK) - Posts: 19 - 21/04/2021 17:20:34    2338250

Link

Replying To gorby580:  "Can someone please clarify the rules regarding new players and the 2020 semi finals that are to be played? I'm hearing they are ineligible even if they have not played 2020 championship elsewhere? KKG indeed seem to have picked up some very good Kerry lads and I'm hearing Neasden have lost a number of players."
I can't see there being a rule around this as I doubt there'd have been a precedent for this rule to be introduced. KKG seem to have recruited strongly which should improve their performances. If this is the case you'd expect them to cruise Division 2 as no team will challenge the top teams at senior unless they can at the very least easily win the second division.

whoareya (Donegal) - Posts: 56 - 22/04/2021 11:45:01    2338348

Link

what's the craic with the county teams over there, is there any British championship they can enter, or is that more of a junior level thing and not worth their while? think it was Leitrim's turn to go over this year for Connaught championship, horrid pity as it is always a great weekend away as well as a tight game, we will be caught rotten over there yet same as Sligo, be a shame to see the work over there gone to waste due to travel restrictions

gaelsboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 235 - 22/04/2021 15:04:50    2338389

Link

Replying To whoareya:  "I can't see there being a rule around this as I doubt there'd have been a precedent for this rule to be introduced. KKG seem to have recruited strongly which should improve their performances. If this is the case you'd expect them to cruise Division 2 as no team will challenge the top teams at senior unless they can at the very least easily win the second division."
Ya you're probably right. Obviously lads who played 2020 championship elsewhere won't be eligible to play those semi finals but you'd like to think that lads who haven't played elsewhere should be allowed to play.

gorby580 (Limerick) - Posts: 165 - 22/04/2021 15:32:13    2338393

Link

Replying To gorby580:  "Ya you're probably right. Obviously lads who played 2020 championship elsewhere won't be eligible to play those semi finals but you'd like to think that lads who haven't played elsewhere should be allowed to play."
If you played with any other team in any other county last year, you cannot play in an outstanding championship fixture from 2020 for another team, that correct?

gaelsboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 235 - 22/04/2021 17:15:34    2338412

Link

Replying To gaelsboy:  "If you played with any other team in any other county last year, you cannot play in an outstanding championship fixture from 2020 for another team, that correct?"
That's the rule yes but some are saying lads not registered with the teams in 2020 cannot play the 2020 semi finals even if they have not played championship elsewhere last year.

gorby580 (Limerick) - Posts: 165 - 23/04/2021 09:18:13    2338482

Link

What's the story with Moindearg this year? Looks like they haven't entered into the league and we're absent last year.

Are Parnells now back to just the one team in the men's?

WestAwake88 (Galway) - Posts: 72 - 23/04/2021 15:42:57    2338545

Link

It's a unique one with the 2020 finals and eligibility but I think we should just be happy we're able to be back on the pitch playing football so hopefully it sorts itself out.
Be interesting to see how teams fair out in the league - In div 1- the top 2 for me remain TCG & Fulham with Kiernans chasing them hard. Then its the rest really, Shamrocks and Neasden can they get some big players back over like in previous years? Towers, McCurtains & CuChullains then make up the rest. Can any of them push on?

Division 2 - I'd fancy Dulwich to go well again in div 2 but KKG should be stronger than previous years if they have recruited as well as it seems so could be them to run away it. Joe's, Brendans and Eire Og will be knocking around as usual too

Division 3 - Harlsden should be higher than div 3 so they'll be pushing hard. Parnells down there, i'd expect them to push on with some good homegrown lads. Great to see them Kiernans having their homegrown team again this year too, good for the county.

Great to be back at it

LondainGael (UK) - Posts: 11 - 23/04/2021 15:49:24    2338546

Link

Replying To WestAwake88:  "What's the story with Moindearg this year? Looks like they haven't entered into the league and we're absent last year.

Are Parnells now back to just the one team in the men's?"
I see Parnells and a Parnells London Born down in the fixture list

London125 (UK) - Posts: 19 - 24/04/2021 09:38:59    2338600

Link

Some interesting results at the weekend. MacCurtains and Cuchulainns will probably end up getting relegated, very hard to see where they can get enough points to stay up. Though TMacs would give NLS a closer game to be honest. Division 2 and 3 seem quite competitive although Parnells and St Joes both got heavily beaten. Two clubs that seem to be in freefall although the focus on Parnells may be on their homegrown team which seems sensible. KKG and Dulwich should get promoted with possibly Garryowen and Eire Og or TCG going down. Wandsworth and Harlseden should get promoted from Division 3.

LondainEire (UK) - Posts: 16 - 28/04/2021 14:40:16    2339114

Link

We've ended up with another TCG Fulham final after the weekend.

TCG seemed to have a scary second half against Neasden. Suprised to see Clarke back again this year for Neasden - didn't think he'd be able to travel with all the covid stuff. Fulham and Kiernans a very tight affair going to xtra time before fulham pulled away. Thought Kiernans might have got the better of them to be honest, Fulham using all their own experience to get over the line.

Good wins for Brendans and Dulwich in Intermediate, a good match up in the final - Can Brendans finally break their Intermediate hoodoo for last few years or can Dulwich complete the journey from Junior stalwarths to a Senior Team?

Harlsden and Clarets should be another decent game in Junior, both will be desperate to get out of Junior so expect a tight affair.

LondainGael (UK) - Posts: 11 - 11/05/2021 12:54:11    2341097

Link

Replying To LondainGael:  "We've ended up with another TCG Fulham final after the weekend.

TCG seemed to have a scary second half against Neasden. Suprised to see Clarke back again this year for Neasden - didn't think he'd be able to travel with all the covid stuff. Fulham and Kiernans a very tight affair going to xtra time before fulham pulled away. Thought Kiernans might have got the better of them to be honest, Fulham using all their own experience to get over the line.

Good wins for Brendans and Dulwich in Intermediate, a good match up in the final - Can Brendans finally break their Intermediate hoodoo for last few years or can Dulwich complete the journey from Junior stalwarths to a Senior Team?

Harlsden and Clarets should be another decent game in Junior, both will be desperate to get out of Junior so expect a tight affair."
was thinking there was no relegation form last year does that mean the teams who win Intermediate and Junior will not be going up either?

Rosineri1 (UK) - Posts: 2028 - 11/05/2021 13:54:39    2341108

Link

Good to see a few big games back being played the weekend. I was also surprised to see Neasden put up such a strong fight against TCG, seemed a close enough game. I watched the Brendans v Eire Og game which was low scoring but quite an even contest for the most part. Brendans pulled away late on with their big inside forward doing all the damage. I would fancy them to beat Dulwich convincingly in the final as apparently Dulwich have lost some of their guys from last year. I also stayed on and saw Harlesden hammer Wandsworth. Seems to be HH and Clarets way ahead of the rest so hopefully should be a decent Junior final.

Silverfox79 (UK) - Posts: 5 - 11/05/2021 14:13:59    2341109

Link