Monaghan Forum

Monaghan In The Qualifiers!

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Main match ups for me would be
Clarke - R.Wylie
Stefan Campbell - Boyle
Hall - O'Connell/McAnespie

Would K.Duffy be right man for O'Neill? Thoughts...

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 698 - 11/06/2019 12:41:17    2193451

Link

Just to try to put some things in perspective regarding our current position.We travel from Kildare to follow our team,we are not asked to do this we chose to do so.
This does not give us any more or indeed any less right to voice our opinion.It is interesting to read some posts and you would nearly think some people would prefer if we got beaten so we could have a change of management..
Be careful what you wish for might cover that.Yes things are not as positive as they have been but there are many factors for this.
We have retained our Division 1 status yes albeit not very comfortably,but we did it.We have been very unfortunate with injuries to key players .
We underperformed throughout the league and this form continued into the Cavan game in Breffni.Having said this we must give credit to Cavan who were the better team on the night and deserved their win.
The game last Sunday v Fermanagh was never going to be one for the purist,and it certainly wasnt.Lets take a look at what was ahead of us.We knew that the key to a win here was patience.We did not get sucked into the negativity and indeed the nasty side of football.After the early concession of the goal and having to break down 15 players behind the ball,we did this it wasnt pretty and there is plenty to be critical of but we got the result .We won,that is all that mattered last Sunday.
Lets have a look at some positives and there were some coming out of this game.
Firstly what credit must go to Niall Kearns ,this young lad had a serious operation at the back end of last year.Many thought he might never play football at any level never mind at this one.
Kieran Hughes starting to show us what we know he is capable of doing,and not drifting in and out of games.
Great performances from Vinnie,Kieran Duffy,Dermot,Ryan Mc and Ryan W.
Great to see Jack come on and I dont think that Darren is too far off getting back.
On a day when Mansy was quiet,we didnt have Colin Walshe and that Drew only made a late appearance it wasnt a bad days work.
On to Armagh,this will be a different type of game as they will want to come out and play football.This will be more suited to us,more like the Kerry and Galway games from last year.Armagh have improved this season but I dont believe that they have the strength in depth that we have.They wont fear us but we certainly wont have any fear of playing them in Cluain Eois.
We have to get our match ups right on their key players.
I would have K.Duffy or D.Malone on J.Clarke and R.O,Neill.They will have to sacrifice their game for the greater good.
It might be the kind of game that would suit Gavin Doogan or Paudie McKenna.
This team do not owe us anything,they have given us some great days over the last few years.Its now time for us to give them something back.
Lets get behind "Our Team" from this week.
Dont get sucked into the negative rubbish from the various media outlets including print media,they can print rubbish without having to back it up.
We have been written off many times before and we will be again.But we believe in this team and what they can do.
So keep the faith and lets back "Our Team"

farneyhammer01 (Monaghan) - Posts: 24 - 11/06/2019 23:01:17    2193742

Link

Replying To farneyhammer01:  "Just to try to put some things in perspective regarding our current position.We travel from Kildare to follow our team,we are not asked to do this we chose to do so.
This does not give us any more or indeed any less right to voice our opinion.It is interesting to read some posts and you would nearly think some people would prefer if we got beaten so we could have a change of management..
Be careful what you wish for might cover that.Yes things are not as positive as they have been but there are many factors for this.
We have retained our Division 1 status yes albeit not very comfortably,but we did it.We have been very unfortunate with injuries to key players .
We underperformed throughout the league and this form continued into the Cavan game in Breffni.Having said this we must give credit to Cavan who were the better team on the night and deserved their win.
The game last Sunday v Fermanagh was never going to be one for the purist,and it certainly wasnt.Lets take a look at what was ahead of us.We knew that the key to a win here was patience.We did not get sucked into the negativity and indeed the nasty side of football.After the early concession of the goal and having to break down 15 players behind the ball,we did this it wasnt pretty and there is plenty to be critical of but we got the result .We won,that is all that mattered last Sunday.
Firstly what credit must go to Niall Kearns ,this young lad had a serious operation at the back end of last year.Many thought he might never play football at any level never mind at this one.
Kieran Hughes starting to show us what we know he is capable of doing,and not drifting in and out of games.
Great to see Jack come on and I dont think that Darren is too far off getting back.
On a day when Mansy was quiet,we didnt have Colin Walshe and that Drew only made a late appearance it wasnt a bad days work.
On to Armagh,this will be a different type of game as they will want to come out and play football.This will be more suited to us,more like the Kerry and Galway games from last year.Armagh have improved this season but I dont believe that they have the strength in depth that we have.They wont fear us but we certainly wont have any fear of playing them in Cluain Eois.
I would have K.Duffy or D.Malone on J.Clarke and R.O,Neill.They will have to sacrifice their game for the greater good.
This team do not owe us anything,they have given us some great days over the last few years.Its now time for us to give them something back.
Dont get sucked into the negative rubbish from the various media outlets including print media,they can print rubbish without having to back it up.
We have been written off many times before and we will be again.But we believe in this team and what they can do.
So keep the faith and lets back "Our Team""
Hear hear on Niall Kearns. Delighted to see himback. What a man. And the composure he showed to score that important first point v Fermanagh was superb.

One of our most important players, bar none.

PearseBro (Monaghan) - Posts: 454 - 12/06/2019 15:56:59    2193989

Link

Reports coming out that Darren Hughes has received a 2 month suspension. While McCann walks away with a 1 match ban.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1841 - 12/06/2019 19:14:39    2194100

Link

Replying To farneyhammer01:  "Just to try to put some things in perspective regarding our current position.We travel from Kildare to follow our team,we are not asked to do this we chose to do so.
So keep the faith and lets back "Our Team""
Was starting to agree with a lot of what you said till you mentioned Paudie McKenna then you lost me. Couldn't possibly believe your judgement after that.......

ginelli (Monaghan) - Posts: 43 - 12/06/2019 20:07:44    2194130

Link

Replying To shaggylegend:  "Reports coming out that Darren Hughes has received a 2 month suspension. While McCann walks away with a 1 match ban."
2 months!? If it wasn't so serious, I'd say you were joking. Can't be. Seriously?

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 372 - 12/06/2019 20:53:39    2194152

Link

Replying To moodoo:  "2 months!? If it wasn't so serious, I'd say you were joking. Can't be. Seriously?"
Would be a massive blow, looks like a legal battle and the DRA ate the most likely outcome.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1841 - 12/06/2019 21:45:50    2194171

Link

Replying To shaggylegend:  "Would be a massive blow, looks like a legal battle and the DRA ate the most likely outcome."
Hughes went on the field to separate lads. Problem for him is that as a maor uisce going on in those circumstances was never going to go down well with headquarters so not surprised at the news if true.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1472 - 12/06/2019 22:21:12    2194182

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "Hughes went on the field to separate lads. Problem for him is that as a maor uisce going on in those circumstances was never going to go down well with headquarters so not surprised at the news if true."
That has to be the case, Monaghan will need a strong legal defence and I'm sure Mr Brolly should be approached.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1841 - 12/06/2019 22:58:54    2194199

Link

Replying To ginelli:  "Was starting to agree with a lot of what you said till you mentioned Paudie McKenna then you lost me. Couldn't possibly believe your judgement after that......."
The reason I mentioned Gavin Doogan and Paudie McKenna is that in my opinion(not judgement)sometimes certain players are suited for certain roles.
These two are grafters that dont let their direct opponent settle to the task.This can be as important as having the ability to kick over 4 or 5 points on any given day.By doing this it frees up our more attack minded players to do what they are best at.
I wasnt looking for anyone to agree with what I had posted its just my opinion.
Thanks for the reply.

farneyhammer01 (Monaghan) - Posts: 24 - 12/06/2019 23:38:11    2194213

Link

Replying To PearseBro:  "Hear hear on Niall Kearns. Delighted to see himback. What a man. And the composure he showed to score that important first point v Fermanagh was superb.

One of our most important players, bar none."
Agree with alot of that original post, but 100% with you on this. Kearns is a credit, having such a serious medical procedure last year and still able to be back to play such an important part in a crunch game in June. Seems mad that he's only in the side since last year, yet he's so at home there and is such a big part of the team now. Still so young too, he'll be leading the midfield for many years hopefully.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 865 - 13/06/2019 08:39:41    2194248

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "Hughes went on the field to separate lads. Problem for him is that as a maor uisce going on in those circumstances was never going to go down well with headquarters so not surprised at the news if true."
It's true

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 80 - 13/06/2019 10:32:24    2194284

Link

Replying To Mon79:  "It's true"
How do you know?

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 698 - 13/06/2019 12:12:02    2194352

Link

Replying To ginelli:  "Was starting to agree with a lot of what you said till you mentioned Paudie McKenna then you lost me. Couldn't possibly believe your judgement after that......."
And Dermot Malone on Jamie Clarke?! Boggles the mind....

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 82 - 13/06/2019 12:42:03    2194372

Link

Replying To HB245:  "And Dermot Malone on Jamie Clarke?! Boggles the mind...."
Only place I seen Darren Hughes suspension mentioned was on Farmers Journal twitter of all places. 8 week suspension.

sleater (Monaghan) - Posts: 113 - 14/06/2019 08:14:08    2194698

Link

Replying To sleater:  "Only place I seen Darren Hughes suspension mentioned was on Farmers Journal twitter of all places. 8 week suspension."
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/hughes-to-challenge-twomatch-ban-over-row-38218436.html

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 104 - 14/06/2019 10:39:03    2194738

Link

Replying To sleater:  "Only place I seen Darren Hughes suspension mentioned was on Farmers Journal twitter of all places. 8 week suspension."
I see Eamon McGee on Twitter was saying its frustrating to see Darren get the same ban as McCann did considering what each did - 2 games. I don't know his source but I imagine he's more reliable than the Farmers Journal.

Let's say that's true, he probably wouldn't have been fully fit for Armagh anyway. If we were to get through that then there's a potential very tough game in the next round where Darren would be a loss, but again would he have been ready? So IF(and it could be a big if as it stands now) we were to get through those, Darren should be fit and back ready to play in time for a last 12 game? A long way to go before that obviously, but if this is true then at least his summer may not be over. 2 months would be absolutely ridiculous.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 865 - 14/06/2019 10:43:07    2194740

Link

Report on Darrens suspension in the Irish Independent today. He is appealing

farneyman1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 50 - 14/06/2019 10:49:01    2194743

Link

Quite apart from Darrens proposed ban, there is clearly something wrong with a sporting organisation when the penalty for "inflicting injury recklessly" is a 1 match ban. Legitimising thuggery.
McCann will in fact only miss one match, because his 2 individual one match bans are to run concurrently.

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 372 - 14/06/2019 12:05:12    2194792

Link

What's the deal with the headlines contradicting the articles regarding Darren's ban? Both the independent and hoganstand's headline say 2 matches, but the article itself states 2 months.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 865 - 14/06/2019 15:09:30    2194887

Link