Monaghan Forum

Monaghan In The Qualifiers!

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To greysoil:  "Why the red thumbs lads? Explain?"
Well would the cavan faithful back Monaghan?
People like yourself are probably the ones that supported armagh in their glory days

Anyway back to yesterday, I don't see Monaghan making to much road this year. Fermanagh left it behind yesterday more than anything. Monaghan looked tired and a team on its last legs. Hughes and Kearns made a huge difference to be fair. I expect armagh to beat Monaghan judging on what we have seen this year. Very hard to see Monaghan holding Clarke, o Neil, Campbell on current form. The speed and attacking pace of the two Ulster games this weekend was miles ahead of what Monaghan currently have to offer in their play.

222 (UK) - Posts: 518 - 10/06/2019 12:36:27    2192801

Link

Did Darren Hughes get a red card yesterday?

This from the Impartial Reporter's match report:

"Paul McCusker and James McMahon were red carded for their part in a melee which also saw Monaghan water man Darren Hughes red carded for getting stuck in as well. "

PolicemanFox (Monaghan) - Posts: 59 - 10/06/2019 13:02:12    2192830

Link

Replying To monaghanmad:  "Thank God we got over yesterday. What a shambles of a team fermanagh are. I don't mind defensive football but the play acting and feigning injuries was a joke from start to finish. Yesterday was a good day for football to have that share out of the championship.
The lads played well and looked like they had the passion and desire back. Just look at the desire beggan had and even Mc carthys expression after the goal.
Armagh next and what a brilliant draw that is. We get the chance to go out and show that we can score and man mark some of the best forwards in the country. With Darren Hughes back the next day and Walshe back and Jack getting another 2 weeks and free getting more fitness we will be well primed for a serious game against Armagh. Armagh defence is like a melted bowl of butter and we should have the forwards to power through them.
Just a thought on Mc ginn. I thought yesterday was the perfect time to put him on when we didn't have a right footed free taker on the field and when we had an extra man. We just needed a man to score points on the overlap and a few men who came on put the ball short and wide. It's strange because yesterday was not the day where speed was needed"
Darren Hughes probably won't be back the next day even if fit. Got sent off yesterday for coming onto field of play to get involved in row Fermanagh started near end. Darren didn't strike anyone but stupid to get involved !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 171 - 10/06/2019 13:16:20    2192849

Link

Replying To monaghanmad:  "Thank God we got over yesterday. What a shambles of a team fermanagh are. I don't mind defensive football but the play acting and feigning injuries was a joke from start to finish. Yesterday was a good day for football to have that share out of the championship.
The lads played well and looked like they had the passion and desire back. Just look at the desire beggan had and even Mc carthys expression after the goal.
Armagh next and what a brilliant draw that is. We get the chance to go out and show that we can score and man mark some of the best forwards in the country. With Darren Hughes back the next day and Walshe back and Jack getting another 2 weeks and free getting more fitness we will be well primed for a serious game against Armagh. Armagh defence is like a melted bowl of butter and we should have the forwards to power through them.
Just a thought on Mc ginn. I thought yesterday was the perfect time to put him on when we didn't have a right footed free taker on the field and when we had an extra man. We just needed a man to score points on the overlap and a few men who came on put the ball short and wide. It's strange because yesterday was not the day where speed was needed"
McGinn story is a complete mystery. I would definitely have him on at some stage but Malachy feels otherwise !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 171 - 10/06/2019 13:18:59    2192852

Link

I saw Deegan point Darren back to the stand side, but was he 'officially' sending him off, or just telling him to 'clear off'?

I can see Armagh putting an end to our Summer. They should have scored at least 2 goals yesterday, maybe 3, and somehow lost the game despite having scored 17 points. They scored 2-17 against Down, and what, a decent score against Cavan the first day too. We were wide open at the back on multiple occasions yesterday, luckily Fermanagh only managed one goal. It's hard to fathom how, for a team that was ultra tight at the back, we seemingly can be cut to shreds so easily now. I would fear Armagh will expose those shortcomings all too easily.

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 369 - 10/06/2019 14:14:20    2192922

Link

Thank God for the Cavan v Armagh game in Clones yesterday, at least the supporters got to see one game of football played. Unlike the anti football approach that yourselves and Fermanagh brought in the curtain raiser.

Ned_Stormcrow (Cavan) - Posts: 1022 - 10/06/2019 14:48:58    2192944

Link

Replying To Ned_Stormcrow:  "Thank God for the Cavan v Armagh game in Clones yesterday, at least the supporters got to see one game of football played. Unlike the anti football approach that yourselves and Fermanagh brought in the curtain raiser."
'The dead arose and appeared to many'
Welcome back Ned!

The Cavan Armagh match was great to watch.

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 709 - 10/06/2019 15:11:34    2192968

Link

Replying To Ned_Stormcrow:  "Thank God for the Cavan v Armagh game in Clones yesterday, at least the supporters got to see one game of football played. Unlike the anti football approach that yourselves and Fermanagh brought in the curtain raiser."
Do you think Cavan would have served up a cracker had they played Fermanagh yesterday?? Armagh let Cavan play. Likewise Cavan let Armagh play and the game was wide open and hence the high scoring. Both teams kept players up the field when not in possession. This was great to see. Donegal showed some great attacking flair against Tyrone on Sat night also yet they struggled against this Fermanagh setup. Our game was never going to be anything other than a slog and thats what we got.

Tim_NicebutDim (Monaghan) - Posts: 327 - 10/06/2019 15:15:30    2192970

Link

Jaysus, that game was rotten to watch. But was it ever going to be anything other than that? Fermanagh really drag the game down into a horrible grind. Before the game I would of taken a 1 pt win so overall happy with that. Individual performances were a real mixed bag - Begann, K.Hughes, Kearns, Boyle , all good but Carey, Ward, Mansy and O'Connell were below par. The team performance was disjointed and lacked cohesion but the overall attitude was much better which to be honest wouldn't have been difficult after the Cavan game. But after last year's shock, this was the game needed to test Monaghan's mettle at this stage. It was the right opponent if you know what I mean in term of motivation and challenge.

I was right in front of the melee Darren Hughes was involved in. He wasn't carded more like ordered of the pitch. I'd be very surprised if there is a suspension looming from it. Irrespective of this, the Armagh game is probably a week or two too early for Darren Hughes' return to the squad. Heard he's back running in training but obviously not ready yet.

In the same way Fermanagh were the right team for Monaghan to buck themselves up against in round 1, Armagh are the right team to be pitted against for the next round. Not being disrespectful but Monaghan at can't afford to be complacent and should be switched on for this. Amragh have looked really good so far but , they are so open at the back. Armagh probably didn't want to get Monaghan

sleater (Monaghan) - Posts: 113 - 10/06/2019 15:43:00    2192998

Link

Two ways of looking at the draw
1. Armagh are playing great attacking football at the minute, and while they came up short against Cavan, have shown real quality and intent so far. A big test for a Monaghan team in woefully poor form

2. Armagh conceded 23 points in a semi final, having taken extra time to beat a Down side that struggled to see off Tipperary at home, who themselves were whipped by a Limerick team that subsequently lost by 20 points to a Cork team destined for Div 3

I know which version I believe

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 709 - 10/06/2019 15:56:23    2193008

Link

Cavan in their first final in 2 decades and some of them are still preoccupied with coming on our board to stir. Whatever floats your boat lads.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 863 - 10/06/2019 15:56:32    2193009

Link

I did not make the game yesterday but was delighted Monaghan got a result in what was a very tricky fixture. It sound's like we were fortunate enough and it was disappointing on the highlights to see Beggan acting the maggot after the penalty save - in a game of fine margins, a different ref could have sent him to the line etc and it would surely have been curtains for us then. It looked as if K Hughes was particularly good in the first half and maybe there were others too.

Regarding the Armagh draw, there were definitely easier draws but a two week break and an improved Kearns, Mc Carron and maybe D Hughes will mean we should be almost at full strength going into this game, with a positive attitude following our victory. That's not the case for Armagh who will be gutted to have left an Ulster Final place behind them.

There is serious improvement required by Monaghan but we know this team are well capable of it. They should throw off the shackles and just go for it now - it all looks too manufactured and systematic at the moment. Armagh may adopt a different approach to this game given how difficult Monaghan have found it to break down the blanket but hopefully our supporters will get behind the team again in Clones and we will be in the hat for the Round 3 draw. If we are, we should fear no-one.

OrielPower (Monaghan) - Posts: 101 - 10/06/2019 18:11:32    2193105

Link

Far from a classic, agree with all comments on Fermanagh tactics, we got over the line & thats what really counts. Hopefully this gets the lads switched on !

Did anybody read Ross Carr's column in the Sunday World.... quote; "Rumours of discontentment within the Monaghan camp have been rife"! ... Can anyone shed any light on this?.... Just hope it's not true!

Monaghan Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 397 - 10/06/2019 18:46:22    2193126

Link

Replying To Tim_NicebutDim:  "Do you think Cavan would have served up a cracker had they played Fermanagh yesterday?? Armagh let Cavan play. Likewise Cavan let Armagh play and the game was wide open and hence the high scoring. Both teams kept players up the field when not in possession. This was great to see. Donegal showed some great attacking flair against Tyrone on Sat night also yet they struggled against this Fermanagh setup. Our game was never going to be anything other than a slog and thats what we got."
Agreed ,any team that has the privilege of playing Fermanagh could never make the game look good ,it was always going to be a terrible game ,but not because of Monaghan .Fermanagh are a very hard team to watch to be honest .On the other side Armagh will give Monaghan a good open game .I think if Armagh keep Mc Manus out of the game and don't give away handy frees and start Stefan Campbell they should win , but expecting an entertaining from both sides.

bisto kid (Cavan) - Posts: 492 - 10/06/2019 18:51:14    2193129

Link

Hard game to watch but a win is a win.. On to Armagh now. Another all Ulster game which should be a cracker. Armagh and Cavan both played an open game yesterday. 15 on 15 and played football. Would love to see Monaghan take this approach also and see where it brings them.

Can see this being a high scoring game with both teams with scorers while the game flows. We saw last year against Kerry and Galway that we had a great spread of scorers when football was played. These players didn't become bad shooters all of a sudden.

Let the shackles off and go for it and see where we are at half time..
Anyone notice yesterday McManus started at number 11 but within 5 minutes he was back inside. Feel this should of been left in place for the whole first half. Thought Hughes and Kearns were brilliant. Fermanagh did not win too many kickouts that went long. Also Kearns taking on the long shot after maybe 3-4 minutes of hand passes was great to see and maybe more players should have a go. if 3/5 went over it wouldn't be a bad idea. Beggan back to himself with the kickouts and great save. Could have walked though for his shoulder on Quigley.

Personally don't think Armagh has the man to man mark McManus like Fermanagh and Cavan do. They will put Morgan on him who is likely to get the line if he is not getting on well. Would love to see Jack back for this one as he can take his scores. McCarthy McManus McCarron Mc Anespie Malone and Carey would be my 6 forwards. All can take their scores and Malones work rate is unbelievable covers alot of ground and wins breaks

countymonaghan (Monaghan) - Posts: 170 - 10/06/2019 20:46:10    2193199

Link

Just caught up here abroad with last night's Sunday game, and based on the two semi finals and our qualifier here's my tuppence worth:

Cavan: rightly jubilant in the back of a vibrant win. Pains me to say but fair play to them.

Donegal: will relish the justified attention Cavan will attract in the run up the final.

Tyrone: McCann should serve a significant ban. He's added brutality to play acting.

Monaghan: result yes, but as others have noticed too many key players got involved in stuff they should have avoided.

Armagh: I don't buy the open game in our fortthcoming qualifier. Cavan didn't play that way in the quarter final, but both teams in the subsequent semi went toe to toe believing they would previal. Armagh have lost their safety net, and after their own inquests, against us I think they will defend first. We shouldn't expect out next outting to win plaudits from the Sunday Game pundits.

Strap yourselves in for a rough ride.

Knoxboya (Monaghan) - Posts: 284 - 10/06/2019 21:01:43    2193209

Link

Replying To countymonaghan:  "Hard game to watch but a win is a win.. On to Armagh now. Another all Ulster game which should be a cracker. Armagh and Cavan both played an open game yesterday. 15 on 15 and played football. Would love to see Monaghan take this approach also and see where it brings them.

Can see this being a high scoring game with both teams with scorers while the game flows. We saw last year against Kerry and Galway that we had a great spread of scorers when football was played. These players didn't become bad shooters all of a sudden.

Let the shackles off and go for it and see where we are at half time..
Anyone notice yesterday McManus started at number 11 but within 5 minutes he was back inside. Feel this should of been left in place for the whole first half. Thought Hughes and Kearns were brilliant. Fermanagh did not win too many kickouts that went long. Also Kearns taking on the long shot after maybe 3-4 minutes of hand passes was great to see and maybe more players should have a go. if 3/5 went over it wouldn't be a bad idea. Beggan back to himself with the kickouts and great save. Could have walked though for his shoulder on Quigley.

Personally don't think Armagh has the man to man mark McManus like Fermanagh and Cavan do. They will put Morgan on him who is likely to get the line if he is not getting on well. Would love to see Jack back for this one as he can take his scores. McCarthy McManus McCarron Mc Anespie Malone and Carey would be my 6 forwards. All can take their scores and Malones work rate is unbelievable covers alot of ground and wins breaks"
Carey ? Explain how you think he should be one of the starting forwards ???

stoneygrey (Monaghan) - Posts: 120 - 11/06/2019 09:52:41    2193355

Link

I'd like to see a half forward line of McAnespie, McCarron, Malone

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 694 - 11/06/2019 10:32:30    2193377

Link

Replying To stoneygrey:  "Carey ? Explain how you think he should be one of the starting forwards ???"
McAnespie, McCarron, Malone
McCarthy, McManus, O'Hanlon

Play your best forwards. We have scored an average of 12.5 points in the chanpionship to date. Surely the penny is dropping with someone in charge.

Push Finty back where he is now needed and the two lads will take care of midfield.

With the right team and tatics Monaghan are more than capable of making it to August. Unfortunately I have zero confidence in that happening. Frustrating to say the least.

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 80 - 11/06/2019 10:55:27    2193391

Link

Yeah some lads have had plenty of chances at this stage I think

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 863 - 11/06/2019 11:00:41    2193395

Link