Monaghan Forum

Monaghan In The Qualifiers!

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I'm speaking for myself here , but I've had enough of this farce all year , It would do the county good for the team to be beat by Fermanagh, All year there was no plan at all , pure luck, nothing else kept us in division one . Then come the show piece we were all waiting for ... nothing .. it was worse than the league . Bring in a management team that know what their at , the earlier this happens the better . This team owe us nothing, it's time to rebuild, no previous managers please , new ideas needed .. Our Minors will probably get to an all Ireland final this year , under the silent guidance of Gerry Connolly ..An unsung hero of Monaghan gaa . Monaghan in the qualifiers.. hopefully very short lived

stoneygrey (Monaghan) - Posts: 120 - 30/05/2019 19:06:12    2189202

Link

Replying To stoneygrey:  "I'm speaking for myself here , but I've had enough of this farce all year , It would do the county good for the team to be beat by Fermanagh, All year there was no plan at all , pure luck, nothing else kept us in division one . Then come the show piece we were all waiting for ... nothing .. it was worse than the league . Bring in a management team that know what their at , the earlier this happens the better . This team owe us nothing, it's time to rebuild, no previous managers please , new ideas needed .. Our Minors will probably get to an all Ireland final this year , under the silent guidance of Gerry Connolly ..An unsung hero of Monaghan gaa . Monaghan in the qualifiers.. hopefully very short lived"
Well hang on a second. Hardly a farce to retain Div 1 status for 5th year in a row. No its hasn't been the beat season, but perspective in terms of Monaghan football is needed. All ireland Semu Final last year. Wbos the last Monaghan man to manage a team to that point. Sean McCaugue. 30 years ago. Let me say that again. 30 years ago. And if Malachy had the same criteria for reaching it that he had we would have made it in 13 and 15 too. Look i scratch my head at some decisions made my management. And i agree they have made mistakes this season and in other years. But to call it a FARCE? Really? Given the injuries that we've had. And you cannot be that close to the team to make a really informed judgement on players capabilities at intercounty level.

Its sport. You literally cannot win every game. Sometimes you lose. Players and managers are not perfect and we have a right to be critical, but to call it a farce. Come on.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1070 - 30/05/2019 19:45:19    2189211

Link

Replying To stoneygrey:  "I'm speaking for myself here , but I've had enough of this farce all year , It would do the county good for the team to be beat by Fermanagh, All year there was no plan at all , pure luck, nothing else kept us in division one . Then come the show piece we were all waiting for ... nothing .. it was worse than the league . Bring in a management team that know what their at , the earlier this happens the better . This team owe us nothing, it's time to rebuild, no previous managers please , new ideas needed .. Our Minors will probably get to an all Ireland final this year , under the silent guidance of Gerry Connolly ..An unsung hero of Monaghan gaa . Monaghan in the qualifiers.. hopefully very short lived"
"It would do the county good for the team to be beat by Fermanagh". That's one of the most stupid things I've ever heard said on this forum.

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 82 - 30/05/2019 20:44:38    2189225

Link

Replying To HB245:  ""It would do the county good for the team to be beat by Fermanagh". That's one of the most stupid things I've ever heard said on this forum."
Agree with that this is really gonna be do or die for this generation of players a must win game

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1472 - 31/05/2019 00:45:04    2189284

Link

Replying To HB245:  ""It would do the county good for the team to be beat by Fermanagh". That's one of the most stupid things I've ever heard said on this forum."
It's up there with the Dog theory.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 453 - 31/05/2019 09:48:20    2189314

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "It's up there with the Dog theory."
I was speaking for myself and will stand by this , To have any hope in the near future this team beads rebuilt, firstly New Management with the vision of new players given a proper chance , the core of this team will help keep us in Division one with the help of the new players , I've said before I seems harder to get off this team than on to it ,This year bar the Dublin win has been disastrous, there is no plan at all

stoneygrey (Monaghan) - Posts: 120 - 31/05/2019 22:15:57    2189521

Link

Replying To stoneygrey:  "I was speaking for myself and will stand by this , To have any hope in the near future this team beads rebuilt, firstly New Management with the vision of new players given a proper chance , the core of this team will help keep us in Division one with the help of the new players , I've said before I seems harder to get off this team than on to it ,This year bar the Dublin win has been disastrous, there is no plan at all"
Can't agree with statement that fermanagh beating us would be for the best. Think losing would be v damaging to the county team for obvious reasons. After last summer if we were to go out in 1st round qualifers would be a disaster for all the good that came from that run. However I can see where you are coming from. Worst thing about defeat to Cavan was team looked totally unprepared for the match physically and mentally didn't look up for it and that has to come from management. Read somewhere after game malachy saying he was confident we'd make a fast start and were well prepared. It sounded like just jargon and going through motions and that is worrying thing ahead of Sunday week. You can talk about systems till cows come home but if team can't get going in a game until second half when 6 or 7 points down there is a fundamental performance issue. Players are either not fit enough tired or just dont have the belief in the style of play any longer. Know some on here will argue no other players good enough to play in the county. They might be right but these same lads played themselves into the ground last summer and a rest during league even with relegation would not have been end of world. Easier to rebuild in div 2 get some wins build confidence. Fermanagh were beating by Donegal but they turned up and performed and were not v far away at all so they will definitely show up Sunday week confidence won't be an issue there. Think we will win if we do likewise but that is the big question will we ? We haven't all year.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1472 - 01/06/2019 06:03:20    2189552

Link

Any word on Darren Hughes folks?

Monaghan Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 398 - 04/06/2019 11:46:34    2190454

Link

Replying To Monaghan Exile:  "Any word on Darren Hughes folks?"
When is he expected back?
Any word on how long Jack will be out also?

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 698 - 04/06/2019 11:58:32    2190462

Link

Nothing directly to do with Monaghan's game this weekend but someone pointed out to me that of the Roscommon team that beat Mayo last week, only four started last year's Connacht final against Galway. That's quite a turnover in team selection and Roscommon aren't exactly the most populous county, wouldn't think that they have a much larger pick than Monaghan. I'd say a combination of new management looking at players with no preconceptions and players who maybe felt they wouldn't get a look in previously making the effort might have had something to do with this. Sometimes fresh eyes are needed because the team looks stale and the lack of cover at midfield has been ongoing for 3 or 4 years, even with the arrival of Niall Kearns.

I'm hoping that Monaghan attack from the start the word and keep it up for the full 70+ minutes. Let teams know they are still to be feard. If they do then they still have the chance to make an impact this summer. But I'd be a bit worried they might start off OK and then fall away or worse start the same way as against Cavan. I suppose we'll know more after the match. I'd bring Kieran Duffy back to corner back for some added height in the fullback line and Beggan needs to command his square. He's a big man and he should be capable of dealing with the high balls. Nearly every player needs to up their game though if Monaghan are to win.

PolicemanFox (Monaghan) - Posts: 60 - 04/06/2019 13:41:24    2190506

Link

I think Jacks injury was 6 weeks, and it wasn't that long before the Cavan game it happened, so don't think he could be back yet.

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 372 - 04/06/2019 16:13:20    2190556

Link

Looking forward to seeing your lads in the curtain raiser on Sunday

MadgeKing (Cavan) - Posts: 477 - 04/06/2019 18:13:25    2190598

Link

Replying To MadgeKing:  "Looking forward to seeing your lads in the curtain raiser on Sunday"
It's great that it's a double header Madge and rightly so that 2 division 2 teams are giving the headline act.

FarneyLenny (Monaghan) - Posts: 110 - 05/06/2019 10:24:30    2190767

Link

Replying To PolicemanFox:  "Nothing directly to do with Monaghan's game this weekend but someone pointed out to me that of the Roscommon team that beat Mayo last week, only four started last year's Connacht final against Galway. That's quite a turnover in team selection and Roscommon aren't exactly the most populous county, wouldn't think that they have a much larger pick than Monaghan. I'd say a combination of new management looking at players with no preconceptions and players who maybe felt they wouldn't get a look in previously making the effort might have had something to do with this. Sometimes fresh eyes are needed because the team looks stale and the lack of cover at midfield has been ongoing for 3 or 4 years, even with the arrival of Niall Kearns.

I'm hoping that Monaghan attack from the start the word and keep it up for the full 70+ minutes. Let teams know they are still to be feard. If they do then they still have the chance to make an impact this summer. But I'd be a bit worried they might start off OK and then fall away or worse start the same way as against Cavan. I suppose we'll know more after the match. I'd bring Kieran Duffy back to corner back for some added height in the fullback line and Beggan needs to command his square. He's a big man and he should be capable of dealing with the high balls. Nearly every player needs to up their game though if Monaghan are to win."
It's actually a shame that Ulster/Monaghan don't do the Junior competition.

Underage and sigerson are probably the main feeders into our senior panel and rightfully so. But a Junior team definitely wouldn't hurt our chances of a new "find" that may have slipped through the other channels.

Back to reality though - Doesn't look like championship weather is going to show up for Sunday. I wonder will our team?

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 104 - 05/06/2019 16:30:46    2190929

Link

Replying To MadgeKing:  "Looking forward to seeing your lads in the curtain raiser on Sunday"
Well, given the amount of rain likely between now and then, I think I'd prefer be involved in the curtain raiser and get home early rather than have to wait around for sloppy seconds.

TearsIn85 (Monaghan) - Posts: 92 - 05/06/2019 16:53:48    2190937

Link

It is good to see that our dear friend is still giddy with excitement after his team's first big championship win in 20 years. All we can say is congratulations and all the best for the semi final replay.
Fermanagh. What better way to spend a Sunday afternoon? Have Monaghan the fight left in them for this one? You would wonder given the through-the-motions response by management to the Cavan loss. Maybe its a case of one loss too many of this kind. The double-header fixture might help in some way. No place to hide now.
Fermanagh were very dogged and somewhat unlucky against Donegal. They were only 2 points behind with 5 to play- a few errors and a couple of hard earned scores turned it in the finish. For 69 minutes it was quite like the Omagh game last year. They hit over 20 long kick-outs and won the lions share, flooding the area under the ball and picking up most of the breaks. McCusker won an amount of breaks, starting out near centre back for most kick-outs. Anything they lost resulted in an immediate free and a delay to Donegal's kick to allow bodies back. Then almost no fouls closer to goal. Formulaic, disciplined, effective. They conceded all Donegal's kick-outs to short plays. Probably will not do that against Monaghan because it would be expected that Jones and Donnelly will beat up our midfield. Long accurate kicks to space could be very important.
Big calls for Malachy are where to play McManus, to play O'Hanlon at all, and Drew Wylie.
FWIW the first call would be to play McManus inside. Gallagher would love to see McManus pushed out the field as it would give more freedom to counter attack. They need more scores and I'd expect that they want to play with more intent than against Donegal. Keep McManus up top and move the ball early and often. Start with Kieran Duffy at half back and McCarthy deeper to build in some longer kicking. O'Hanlon? He suffered horribly the last day but the whole game plan (was there one?) didn't help. He does his best work at club level cutting from wide positions. Point taking hasn't been great but the lad can split defences open on the run. Can he do damage against a packed defence? Yes as a strike runner with scorers in support. No if he's isolated on the end of high ball. He should go again- a goal threat is needed. And what of Drew? Clearly not fit, suspect in open space which is how Fermanagh will want to counter attack. Conor Boyle for Quigley. If Drew starts it would be out further to win some breaks and shore up the centre against the runs of Jones and Donnelly. But a start on the bench is more likely. Not at all confident for this one, but as we are used to by now, we will know inside the first 20 minutes which Monaghan team have showed up.

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 710 - 06/06/2019 20:24:39    2191271

Link

Great post Eddie.

The silence from the camp this year has been deafening. I know Malachy was never one to go running for interviews or whatever, but it really is a complete shutdown now. The team isn't even published in advance anymore. Unfortunately has the feeling of a setup on its last legs, as opposed to one that is likely to come out all guns blazing.

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 372 - 07/06/2019 09:25:51    2191361

Link

Best of luck to the team and mgmt this weekend. Travelling more in hope than confidence but it is clones and v few teams turn us over there. Really hoping that the team do go for this from the off all guns blazing. Fermanagh are a decent outfit but they ain't dublin or Tyrone so we shouldn't be sitting back against them and employing sweepers. If we do sit back and let them get a run on us like Cavan did or they did last summer we will be beaten as if the game is played on their terms they are better conditioned and tuned in than us to grind it out over the 70 minutes. On the media blackout its either the siege mentality or going through the motions will find out pretty quickly on Sunday either the end of the road for team and management or a comeback of sorts from a poor season to date.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1472 - 07/06/2019 10:22:54    2191373

Link

Most important thing for me is an attacking positive brand of football with a great attitude as opposed to the Cavan game

...and an actual half forward line with a forward or 2 in it

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 698 - 07/06/2019 12:28:47    2191417

Link

Replying To MonaghanGlory:  "Most important thing for me is an attacking positive brand of football with a great attitude as opposed to the Cavan game

...and an actual half forward line with a forward or 2 in it"
obviously make or break this weekend. I don't care how we play so long as we get the result and it will be interesting to see how much the donegal game took out of fermanagh because we certainly only played in 2nd gear and we have had a longer rest. We need any sort of a win to improve our confidence. If we win which I think we will we could go on a nice run again (maybe get limerick in round 2) and the confidence would improve. I would start conor mccarthy and have young o'hanlon on the bench. I thought his heart was in the right place against cavan and at least he tried to create a few runs but we need to get rid of the ball quicker and pass/kick around the blanket defence. Conor boyle all day long for me at full back. Drew wylie has lost his pace for man marking and id have cleaning up around the half back/midfield area. He has hit some great scores over the years and he is more valuable further up the field. We need fintan kelly and kieran hughes in midfield and stop trying to position hughes in full forward and hitting high hopeful balls. We've tried it so many times (last resort) and it just doesn't work. He's better out the field for shooting/drawing the foul/passing.

My main fear at the moment is that our focus last year (including my own) was that we reach a semi final. What a summer it was and the lads did us proud. This year is the players aim to reach an All Ireland Final? Based on the cavan display I doubt it unless it was all a ploy by MOR to not win Ulster. Do they believe we are good enough to reach it? Or are they happy to live off the achievements of last year. Very hard to know. Like I said before we need a good sports psychologist more than anything at present. Too many games we have gone in unprepared for teams who are inferior to us.

Hope we can do it Sunday and hopefully looking forward to another great summer.

montheman (Monaghan) - Posts: 28 - 07/06/2019 13:50:12    2191446

Link