Monaghan Forum

Monaghan In The Qualifiers!

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Terrible draw in all respects. Sunday Game anaysis of Fermanagh gameplan said it all. Zero entertainment. Foul immediately on losing their kickout. McManus will get dogs abuse as he did in Omagh. Handy draw was required to get players back and confidence back. 100% of the time against a defensive team we do the same as them ... in the 1st half anyway... Carlow, Fermanagh, Galway in the league. If Mon management can't come up with something different this time .... and at home ..... we'll struggle. Will not be pretty.

Mon79 (Monaghan) - Posts: 80 - 27/05/2019 10:47:54    2188019

Link

Hopefully the crowd travel to Clones and make it a day like the Kerry game, It should be a big factor being there and we usually tend to play better there,

After watching them and how negative and boring they play I hate to admit that they are fairly good at frustrating a team, things loosened up eventually so hopefully we can take our chances when they come,

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 698 - 27/05/2019 10:56:54    2188025

Link

Replying To greysoil:  "Clones is the big factor in this one. Fermanagh wouldn't have happy memories here & we tend to lift our game. Should have Jack back, Niall should be available for a quarter or so, not sure re Darren as will only be 9 weeks since his injury. This will be a dogged game especially in the first half but I am very optimistic that we will pull away in the second half. Keep the faith folks !"
100% agree!

Gator (Monaghan) - Posts: 178 - 27/05/2019 11:17:37    2188041

Link

Shouldn't be hard to motivate the lads for this one after last years defeat and also after the poor performance against Cavan in the first round.
Malachy will change things up I hope and give Fermanagh something to think about. Big games needed from more players. With K Hughes and Boyle the only real performers against Cavan I would hope here is a big game in McManus, Wylies, Karl and maybe Kearns when introduced.

Really looking forward to this. Getting over Fermanagh would put some faith and confidence back in he lads..

countymonaghan (Monaghan) - Posts: 170 - 27/05/2019 13:11:08    2188098

Link

I think its a great draw, only real chance of being at home was getting Fermanagh. The motivation to get revenge on last year will help. Fermanagh maybe frustrating, but you know exactly what you are going to get from them and Mal can plan ahead for it unlike a trip to Tipperary and Derry.

If Mal cannot plan for their defensive game plan and overcome it and we as a team cannot beat Cavan and Fermanagh in successive games then we have no right being in the Super 8s and it should be the end of the road for this management team.

However I dont think that will happen, I am confident of our chances in the qualifiers, no reason why we cannot go on a run and if we think we are a top 6 team then there should only be 1 or 2 teams for us to fear in the qualifiers.

FinlaysLeftFoot (Monaghan) - Posts: 32 - 27/05/2019 14:36:08    2188153

Link

Fermanagh might get all the stick about how they set up but if they are competing then what's the problem, look at the Antrim , Louth result game was over before it started

weemanmc (Fermanagh) - Posts: 102 - 27/05/2019 16:33:24    2188216

Link

There were probably better draws out there but there's one thing for certain, we were the last team Fermanagh wanted to visit.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 453 - 27/05/2019 16:41:18    2188219

Link

Yeah fermanagh were hardly looking for us in the draw either. Well look we can't say we aren't warned we know exactly what fermanagh will bring and we have to be ready. One thing I hope malachy doesn't leave McManus isolated again up front with no support as fermanagh will just eat him up with bodies back. We need to be ready to put physical presence up there in support of him to win primary possession. Kieran Hughes best player for the position but will be needed in the middle. I'd consider throwing Corey in there to keep their full back properly occupied.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1472 - 27/05/2019 17:53:12    2188251

Link

One thing is for sure, we cant allow Fermanagh to bully us like they did last year. They had the Ricey's stamp all over them. Every sub that came on for Monaghan was hit hard from the aecond they arrived. Shooting from distance has to be our main option too. We saw how that worked for Donegal at the weekend. I think Kieran hughes should be allowed have a go as much as possible from out round the 40. Would be great to see him inside. Is it a game to give McGinn a chance inside and leave mcmanus out the field? Wing backs shoukd all be chipping in with a few too. We need to be patient, and when we get a chance we need to be accurate because chances will be thin on the ground.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1070 - 27/05/2019 21:01:05    2188310

Link

Replying To seanie08:  "Yeah fermanagh were hardly looking for us in the draw either. Well look we can't say we aren't warned we know exactly what fermanagh will bring and we have to be ready. One thing I hope malachy doesn't leave McManus isolated again up front with no support as fermanagh will just eat him up with bodies back. We need to be ready to put physical presence up there in support of him to win primary possession. Kieran Hughes best player for the position but will be needed in the middle. I'd consider throwing Corey in there to keep their full back properly occupied."
I'd definitely agree with starting Vinnie Corey. No one else provided the physical presence he brings in the last game unfortunately. It's going to be a battle. I'd also be a bit worried about the long ball into our fullback line. Caused problems last year and Fermanagh bring a pretty basic game plan. They'll see nothing has changed much in the Monaghan defence since the game last year so they'll be looking to get ahead early and then slow the game down. Beggan needs to command this area.

It's a big chance for Monaghan to show they are able for it again this year against a team they must feel they owe one to. The longer Monaghan stay in the championship the more likely it is that Kearns and Hughes will make it back and if that were to happen then there are still chances to progress but repeating the same performance as against Cavan will make this game very tough indeed. Hopefully Monaghan will put in a credible performance and make to the next round.

PolicemanFox (Monaghan) - Posts: 60 - 27/05/2019 21:07:46    2188315

Link

Isn't Corey playing full forward for Clontibret? I could be wrong but almost sure he was from a photo I seen on Monaghan Gaa website or twitter

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 698 - 28/05/2019 09:41:33    2188410

Link

Three physical men who've played full forward before, or at least worn the number, would be kieran hughes, fintan kelly and dessie ward. your robbing peter to pay paul there tho.. i cant see a big change in personnel happening. id say kieran will be in there possibly. vinny corey a viable differential but is he fit for 70minutes? you've also got doogan and duffy...we're actually rich enough with options up front.. for me shot selection is more important. donegal struggled to break fermanagh in the opening quarter. mcbrearty had some woeful wides and we all know his quality.. i assume mansy will be nullified barr frees and the odd one or two maybe...

shot selection is key. can monaghan come back from a poor start like donegal did?

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 104 - 28/05/2019 11:19:52    2188450

Link

Be interesting to see the team lineout this time round,
McManus in half forward? Wylie half back? Corey full forward?

I'd be all for McManus going half forward because he'll definitely be crowded out inside, I agree too he'll be in for a rough game too, Wouldn't be surprised if Cullen gets booked early on to be honest,

Hoping for a good Monaghan turn out, it's no Ulster final but Fermanagh fans took over Clones last year and brought a great atmosphere with them I hadn't seen at ulster finals beforehand

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 698 - 28/05/2019 11:37:35    2188457

Link

Replying To MonaghanGlory:  "Be interesting to see the team lineout this time round,
McManus in half forward? Wylie half back? Corey full forward?

I'd be all for McManus going half forward because he'll definitely be crowded out inside, I agree too he'll be in for a rough game too, Wouldn't be surprised if Cullen gets booked early on to be honest,

Hoping for a good Monaghan turn out, it's no Ulster final but Fermanagh fans took over Clones last year and brought a great atmosphere with them I hadn't seen at ulster finals beforehand"
Definitely bring McManus out see how it goes. We saw against cavan he will get back and track his man too if needed but we don't want him back there. Vinny has been full forward for clontibret and has been a handful with McManus along side him. His physical presence alone would be a bonus in there and maybe in the latter of the game if he is substituted for Kearns throw K Hughes upfront.

Bring the game to Fermanagh we don't want to be waiting on them and then try claw back at them in the second half. Get at them from the get go. Agree with a previous post regarding shot selection. More players should be getting on the scorecard and taking on their chances (Ward,McCarthy,McCarron,Hughes) and even some players further back (Walshe, OConnell)

Ricey will have them pumped from the beginning and it will be a dog fight and probably not the prettiest game.

countymonaghan (Monaghan) - Posts: 170 - 28/05/2019 13:06:04    2188482

Link

Replying To greysoil:  "You truly are clueless"
Thanks

But I did say Cavan would probably beat us

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 491 - 28/05/2019 20:14:09    2188609

Link

Replying To countymonaghan:  "Definitely bring McManus out see how it goes. We saw against cavan he will get back and track his man too if needed but we don't want him back there. Vinny has been full forward for clontibret and has been a handful with McManus along side him. His physical presence alone would be a bonus in there and maybe in the latter of the game if he is substituted for Kearns throw K Hughes upfront.

Bring the game to Fermanagh we don't want to be waiting on them and then try claw back at them in the second half. Get at them from the get go. Agree with a previous post regarding shot selection. More players should be getting on the scorecard and taking on their chances (Ward,McCarthy,McCarron,Hughes) and even some players further back (Walshe, OConnell)

Ricey will have them pumped from the beginning and it will be a dog fight and probably not the prettiest game."
A certain positional move of Kevin Cassidy springs to mind, Not saying it will definitely be as effective or work like it did for Gaobh Dobhair but having some balls and taking chances like this pay off eventually and could be what we need rather than the stale predictable changes.

Big step up for lads to be able to shoot from distance for this game

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 698 - 28/05/2019 23:54:37    2188692

Link

Malachy O'Rourke has to make some sort of pre-match statement re the refereeing before the game. Referee needs to have his card marked to watch out for the kind of stuff that went on last year, which was not dealt with at all by the referee on the day. And its not Fermanagh's fault either. They roughed us up, knowing that they could get away with it and well done to them, it worked.

I don't agree with all the giving out about them after their game v Donegal. Yes its not great to watch, but no other game plan would have got them to an Ulster final last year. I mean parking the bus is a tactical solution in most field sports, so why wouldn't it apply to Gaelic Football?

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1070 - 29/05/2019 09:56:23    2188738

Link

...but back in the real world...

Does anyone really think that, 7 years later, MOR will suddenly completely change approach and tactics? Fast ball into the forwards? Vinny up front? No chance. It will be more of the same. If we failed to come up with a new approach for Cavan, who we had 8 months to prepare for, I don't see us coming with a new approach for this one. I hope I'm wrong, but I just can't see it. MOR seems to have run out of ideas at this stage. When others were criticising him in previous years I've always supported him, but that Cavan game was a turning point for me at least.

The game will likely be horrible to watch. We will need to take scores from distance, something that on recent form, at least 13 out of our 15 starters are unable to do. Fermanagh will pack the defence, and it'll be a mugs game to try and handpass our way through it. We can't afford to fall behind, the bus will only get parked even tighter, our only chance is to get ahead, and try to force them to open up a bit to chase the game. I haven't seen anything in our 2019 performances to indicate we are set to grind this out.

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 372 - 29/05/2019 14:50:31    2188850

Link

Malachy sounds confident at least.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1472 - 30/05/2019 13:21:22    2189093

Link

Replying To moodoo:  "...but back in the real world...

Does anyone really think that, 7 years later, MOR will suddenly completely change approach and tactics? Fast ball into the forwards? Vinny up front? No chance. It will be more of the same. If we failed to come up with a new approach for Cavan, who we had 8 months to prepare for, I don't see us coming with a new approach for this one. I hope I'm wrong, but I just can't see it. MOR seems to have run out of ideas at this stage. When others were criticising him in previous years I've always supported him, but that Cavan game was a turning point for me at least.

The game will likely be horrible to watch. We will need to take scores from distance, something that on recent form, at least 13 out of our 15 starters are unable to do. Fermanagh will pack the defence, and it'll be a mugs game to try and handpass our way through it. We can't afford to fall behind, the bus will only get parked even tighter, our only chance is to get ahead, and try to force them to open up a bit to chase the game. I haven't seen anything in our 2019 performances to indicate we are set to grind this out."
We need to do something different. At the moment we are the most predictable side in the country bar Fermanagh.We all know what they are going to do, but we should keep them guessing. Also, and this is critical, we need to get into a lead. We can't start like the lethargic mess we were in Breffini or Omagh last year.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 453 - 30/05/2019 15:45:31    2189145

Link