Monaghan Forum

Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To tenyearplan:  "I think Cavan should pull out altogether and also the winners of Armagh /Down and just give yous a free ride to the Ulster final - no point in us " ravenous underdogs" getting in the way of progress. Monaghan are too good to be mixing it with the likes of us. After all yous have more All -Irelands than any of the other three - oh wait !"
How's that 10 year plan working out for yee...don't hear much of the spouting about future being blue anymore....the salty tears of sorrow from the Cavan supporters Sunday week will be like sweet honey to me...

FarneyLenny (Monaghan) - Posts: 110 - 09/05/2019 10:53:56    2182679

Link

Replying To tenyearplan:  "I think Cavan should pull out altogether and also the winners of Armagh /Down and just give yous a free ride to the Ulster final - no point in us " ravenous underdogs" getting in the way of progress. Monaghan are too good to be mixing it with the likes of us. After all yous have more All -Irelands than any of the other three - oh wait !"
Love it when the cavan lads come to the Monaghan page. been looking forward to the game since the draw was made lol. hopefully we come out on top but nothing is guaranteed especially since were playing a great team with so many all Ireland's and ulsters in there back pocket - oh wait ! ;-)

farneygael (Monaghan) - Posts: 172 - 09/05/2019 14:13:27    2182742

Link

Replying To farneygael:  "Love it when the cavan lads come to the Monaghan page. been looking forward to the game since the draw was made lol. hopefully we come out on top but nothing is guaranteed especially since were playing a great team with so many all Ireland's and ulsters in there back pocket - oh wait ! ;-)"
I think, in fairness, it's friendly and harmless banter.

We're under no illusions that it's going to be tough in Breffni on Saturday week. This is Monaghan's greatest ever team after all.

cavanman47 (Cavan) - Posts: 3966 - 09/05/2019 14:35:23    2182752

Link

I would in no way predict that the Cavan game for us is a slam dunk. If you look at our recent past, we have fallen to these weaker counties - Longford, Down & Fermanagh.
I remember leaving Healy Park last year after the semi, a bit shocked but quietly confident & then we went on to top the group in the super 8's . Looking forward to the championship & really confident about the health of the game in the county.
Proud to be Monaghan!

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 780 - 09/05/2019 22:00:07    2182845

Link

The point I was making was our biggest problem in ulster under Malachy has not been Donegal or Tyrone but teams we are expected to beat who come out like the hounds of hell against us and fair play to them. Cavan could well do likewise on Sunday week they came v close in 13 and 15. Down and fermanagh fully deserved their victories in 17 and 18 because we weren't able to cope with them for whatever reason. Tyrone and Donegal had no such issues respectively in v one sided finals with those teams and it's partly the reason a lot of Monaghan fans are wary of this draw and certainly are taking nothing for granted. The preview on the main page of Ulster recognises this.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1465 - 09/05/2019 22:31:24    2182852

Link

Replying To greysoil:  "I would in no way predict that the Cavan game for us is a slam dunk. If you look at our recent past, we have fallen to these weaker counties - Longford, Down & Fermanagh.
I remember leaving Healy Park last year after the semi, a bit shocked but quietly confident & then we went on to top the group in the super 8's . Looking forward to the championship & really confident about the health of the game in the county.
Proud to be Monaghan!"
I tend to disagree. Monaghan are simply a much better team than Cavan and I expect a 5+ win for us. Cavan are a poor enough team and I think will possibly end up in division 3 by end of nfl '20. It's never a problem Monaghan taking Cavan for granted and I think it being opening round and the lads rested and refocused we will simply will be too strong.

FarneyLenny (Monaghan) - Posts: 110 - 12/05/2019 09:56:47    2183237

Link

Replying To FarneyLenny:  "I tend to disagree. Monaghan are simply a much better team than Cavan and I expect a 5+ win for us. Cavan are a poor enough team and I think will possibly end up in division 3 by end of nfl '20. It's never a problem Monaghan taking Cavan for granted and I think it being opening round and the lads rested and refocused we will simply will be too strong."
I agree, Its a proven fact that when given plenty of time to analyse teams and come up with a game plan that Malachy is the best. How many first round games in ulster have we lost under Malachy ? Not many if even one. He uses the time from when the draw was made to analyse, watch the opponents and tactically outdo the opposition. Last year he was at Tyrone club games watching players sure and hes probably at the same this year in Cavan. Its when we get to the semi finals that he struggles as he doesn't have the time available to prepare and come up with a plan and thence gets caught.
Its for this reason that we will more than likely beat Cavan as we have done in all first round games over the years as Management have a Plan A. and B in place to beat them.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 186 - 12/05/2019 11:18:09    2183246

Link

Replying To monaghanmad:  "I agree, Its a proven fact that when given plenty of time to analyse teams and come up with a game plan that Malachy is the best. How many first round games in ulster have we lost under Malachy ? Not many if even one. He uses the time from when the draw was made to analyse, watch the opponents and tactically outdo the opposition. Last year he was at Tyrone club games watching players sure and hes probably at the same this year in Cavan. Its when we get to the semi finals that he struggles as he doesn't have the time available to prepare and come up with a plan and thence gets caught.
Its for this reason that we will more than likely beat Cavan as we have done in all first round games over the years as Management have a Plan A. and B in place to beat them."
not sure i agree with this. i understand the logic but surely during this time off he's also strongly analysing down & armagh? he should be able to predict that game's outcome with a certain degree of accuracy.

I actually agree that malachy's probably good at this. the problem is a lack of a plan b when we meet a blanket defence.

We're going to meet a stubborn team in this ulster championship and Monaghan's inability to put games to bed has haunted us in the past.

However, at our best we're better than Cavan, Armagh and Down so hopefully will show that this summer and have an ulster final to look forward to!! hon da farney!!

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 103 - 13/05/2019 12:09:27    2183597

Link

has anyone any idea of the panel for the cavan game yet?
was kieran hughes and niall kearns and the likes playing club football over the weekend??
the fight for a place on the panel never mind the team is very intense.
roll on saturday

farneygael (Monaghan) - Posts: 172 - 13/05/2019 12:56:36    2183622

Link

Replying To farneygael:  "has anyone any idea of the panel for the cavan game yet?
was kieran hughes and niall kearns and the likes playing club football over the weekend??
the fight for a place on the panel never mind the team is very intense.
roll on saturday"
Kearns back in harness but won't make it in time. K Hughes not ready for 70 either it seems. From reports it is looking like Neil McAdam will start as a spoiler in midfield. Some doubts about Colin Walshe too. Stephen O'Hanlon pushing hard for a starting place.

It's a good job Fintan Kelly got that red card overturned!

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 709 - 13/05/2019 15:41:20    2183705

Link

Eoin Duffy was playing midfield for Latton on Sunday, would that mean he's not in the 26 man panel? On another note, that young Hughes lad in the middle for Clontibret caught absolutely everything against Latton. Serious prospect.

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 80 - 13/05/2019 18:24:53    2183772

Link

Will be mcadam and kelly in the middle. Both good lads and great servants but can't help feel bad reflection on malachy he hasn't sourced proper midfield cover within the county not converted half backs for two positions where we have only had one fit player a 32 yr old since start of the year who has been injured for past 6 weeks be out for another 6. Mgmt have had plenty of notice this is a big problem for the team.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1465 - 13/05/2019 21:18:18    2183821

Link

It's unusual for certain players to be allowed play with their clubs in the star games. Gavin Doogan, Niall Kearns and Owen Duffy.
It's either the players aren't part of the match day 26 or the management have deemed it necessary to get extra game time into these lads.

People blaming Malachy for not building midfield options. What is he meant to do? If players aren't good enough 5 years ago they aren't going to good enough now.
We have never been blessed with midfielders Owen Lennon and Niall Kearns are the only natural midfielders we have produced in the last 20 years.

I have absolute faith In the management and the team to do the job Saturday night.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1840 - 14/05/2019 07:56:29    2183876

Link

Replying To shaggylegend:  "It's unusual for certain players to be allowed play with their clubs in the star games. Gavin Doogan, Niall Kearns and Owen Duffy.
It's either the players aren't part of the match day 26 or the management have deemed it necessary to get extra game time into these lads.

People blaming Malachy for not building midfield options. What is he meant to do? If players aren't good enough 5 years ago they aren't going to good enough now.
We have never been blessed with midfielders Owen Lennon and Niall Kearns are the only natural midfielders we have produced in the last 20 years.

I have absolute faith In the management and the team to do the job Saturday night."
Consider Chrissy McGuinness, Conor Galligan, James Turley (midfield), Daniel Yankee and Darren Freeman...there's probably more

All excellent footballers that for one reason or another left the squad...I know one or two of them left the country and there were possible injuries etc but now hearing about the younger lads Barry Kerr, David Garland and Shane Garland opting out for this year at least..

I sense a lack of ambition. Are these guys being called up and being told they're potentially going to get an all ireland medal or are they being told that if they work hard they'll get a starting place in the 2020 mckenna cup team?

I hafta admire the fans who have absolute faith in the management. Where is it coming from? 2 ulster titles? Realistically Down, Armagh and Cavan would probably have Ulster titles too if they had conor mcmanus. We have mcmanus and so much more and i feel like there's only one way to point the finger as to why we've not won more ulsters and appeared in an all ireland.

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 103 - 14/05/2019 11:56:41    2183940

Link

Replying To HB245:  "Eoin Duffy was playing midfield for Latton on Sunday, would that mean he's not in the 26 man panel? On another note, that young Hughes lad in the middle for Clontibret caught absolutely everything against Latton. Serious prospect."
Young Hughes dominated along with Lavelle in midfield in a few of the games i have seen this year(Ballybay,Carrick,Latton). Two young lads (early 20s) has great potential and giving how much the county has brought Niall Kearns on these two lads could also be the same. Hoping Malachy has some plan for midfield up his sleeve for Saturday.

Saturday night a big one with a few absentees. Whats everyones predictions of a starting 15??

1. Beggan
2. R Wylie
3. C Boyle
4. K Duffy
5. K O'Connell
6. D Wylie
7. C Walsh
8. N McAdam
9. F Kelly
10. R Mc Anespie
11. D Malone
12. J McCarron
13. C McCarthy
14. C McManus
15. S O'Hanlon

16. C Forde
17. V Corey
18. S Carey
19. D Ward
20. M Bannigan
21. K Hughes
22. N Kearns
23. B McGinn
24. J Walsh
25. D Mone
26. T Kerr

countymonaghan (Monaghan) - Posts: 170 - 14/05/2019 13:19:30    2183961

Link

Replying To MalsBalls:  "Consider Chrissy McGuinness, Conor Galligan, James Turley (midfield), Daniel Yankee and Darren Freeman...there's probably more

All excellent footballers that for one reason or another left the squad...I know one or two of them left the country and there were possible injuries etc but now hearing about the younger lads Barry Kerr, David Garland and Shane Garland opting out for this year at least..

I sense a lack of ambition. Are these guys being called up and being told they're potentially going to get an all ireland medal or are they being told that if they work hard they'll get a starting place in the 2020 mckenna cup team?

I hafta admire the fans who have absolute faith in the management. Where is it coming from? 2 ulster titles? Realistically Down, Armagh and Cavan would probably have Ulster titles too if they had conor mcmanus. We have mcmanus and so much more and i feel like there's only one way to point the finger as to why we've not won more ulsters and appeared in an all ireland."
Have you any idea of the fitness levels and dedication it takes to play inter county football these days....it's huge. I know I have been critical of an odd player in the past but one thing I have massive respect for is what they give to the team and in turn us supporters. Malachy is one of the best in the country and truth be told some of the players you mentioned simply are not good enough for county level. It's a totally different ball game than club football. I have no doubt we will beat Cavan and give Ulster a good rattle. As for your All Ireland final we were within a kick of a ball of it last year something that was unimaginable before Malachy took over.

FarneyLenny (Monaghan) - Posts: 110 - 14/05/2019 13:20:42    2183963

Link

Im shocked at the amount of people on here thinking we will win on Saturday night.....You's do know we are missing Darren Hughes,Kieran Hughes,Niall Kierans,and Barry Kerr???????????

Plus the fact that this is Cavan's All Ireland final, after all they did pull their players from club football 4 weeks ago to make sure everyone would be ready for this game,there management have made it quite clear that this is the game they are going to be ready for from the start of the year.

Add all that to the fact we a weaker now than we have ever been because of the Managements failure to inject new blood to the panel when the clearly knew we badly needed players around the middle but ignored it.........that will come home to roost Saturday evening,shocking decision from them.......and please dont say theres no players out there because there is they werent called up and thats a fact............how you can judge a player on a 10 minute run out 6 years ago and disgard him now that he has matured into a fine player is disgraceful.

So im not looking forward to this Game............although if we go for it early like we did against Kildare,Kerry and Galway we might win even without those players but known this management set up they wont........we will do the normal crap of leaving a team in the game until the last 10 minutes and hope to pull away if we do this we will get bet because we have no bench now and we will be caught like we were against Fermanagh and Tyrone last year.

Hope im wrong but ive a bad feeling about it,cant blame the players their a credit,they flogg themselfs all year for the jersey,just a pity Management wouldnt give them a hand by adding to the squad to bulid a proper panel!!!!

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 14/05/2019 14:12:07    2183984

Link

Replying To MalsBalls:  "Consider Chrissy McGuinness, Conor Galligan, James Turley (midfield), Daniel Yankee and Darren Freeman...there's probably more

I hafta admire the fans who have absolute faith in the management. Where is it coming from? 2 ulster titles? Realistically Down, Armagh and Cavan would probably have Ulster titles too if they had conor mcmanus. We have mcmanus and so much more and i feel like there's only one way to point the finger as to why we've not won more ulsters and appeared in an all ireland."
Stop stirring ahead of our first championship game. I have often wondered about your county credentials & a post like this makes me question even more.

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 780 - 14/05/2019 14:20:35    2183986

Link

Replying To FarneyLenny:  "Have you any idea of the fitness levels and dedication it takes to play inter county football these days....it's huge. I know I have been critical of an odd player in the past but one thing I have massive respect for is what they give to the team and in turn us supporters. Malachy is one of the best in the country and truth be told some of the players you mentioned simply are not good enough for county level. It's a totally different ball game than club football. I have no doubt we will beat Cavan and give Ulster a good rattle. As for your All Ireland final we were within a kick of a ball of it last year something that was unimaginable before Malachy took over."
we were within a kick of a ball of an ulster final and an all ireland final last year. nearly winning games is deadly isnt it!

i love all the players & love following monaghan. and have a certain respect for the management too but feel their day has come and gone...anyway we'll just agree to disagree...and despite my negative comments im still positive for the year.

Also that starting 15 (listed above by countymonaghan) looks good, we're well able for cavan lads.

MalsBalls (Monaghan) - Posts: 103 - 14/05/2019 14:52:58    2183996

Link

Replying To hardcore:  "Im shocked at the amount of people on here thinking we will win on Saturday night.....You's do know we are missing Darren Hughes,Kieran Hughes,Niall Kierans,and Barry Kerr???????????

Plus the fact that this is Cavan's All Ireland final, after all they did pull their players from club football 4 weeks ago to make sure everyone would be ready for this game,there management have made it quite clear that this is the game they are going to be ready for from the start of the year.

Add all that to the fact we a weaker now than we have ever been because of the Managements failure to inject new blood to the panel when the clearly knew we badly needed players around the middle but ignored it.........that will come home to roost Saturday evening,shocking decision from them.......and please dont say theres no players out there because there is they werent called up and thats a fact............how you can judge a player on a 10 minute run out 6 years ago and disgard him now that he has matured into a fine player is disgraceful.

So im not looking forward to this Game............although if we go for it early like we did against Kildare,Kerry and Galway we might win even without those players but known this management set up they wont........we will do the normal crap of leaving a team in the game until the last 10 minutes and hope to pull away if we do this we will get bet because we have no bench now and we will be caught like we were against Fermanagh and Tyrone last year.

Hope im wrong but ive a bad feeling about it,cant blame the players their a credit,they flogg themselfs all year for the jersey,just a pity Management wouldnt give them a hand by adding to the squad to bulid a proper panel!!!!"
Fair play. I think you've covered every possible scenario in that post to cover the outcome where you can say "I told you so" regardless of the result. Classic!

freddie1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 7 - 14/05/2019 14:53:23    2183997

Link