Monaghan Forum

McKenna Cup 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

So with Derry releasing their squad it got me wondering when we would release our squad for the upcoming games against Donegal, Fermanagh and Queens University, Anyone know of any new players coming into the panel and whats your thoughts on what approach we should take to the McKenna Cup.

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 700 - 05/12/2017 17:52:14    2064497

Link

Plenty of new players called up for the 2018 McKenna Cup. A few returning who were part of the panel in the past and others for the first time. No shortage of youth called up either. A few of the younger guys eligible for the u20's so it will be interesting to see what happens with them come the league when you consider the fact if you are part of the Senior set up you can't play U20's. No word on any retirements yet either.

padaly (Monaghan) - Posts: 10 - 07/12/2017 00:30:16    2064586

Link

The young players included early on are
Connolly and Wilson toome
Garland donaghmoyne
Connolly killanny
And bannighan back in as expected
And I think 1 Carrick forward ; not sure which one

MONAGHAN1985 (Monaghan) - Posts: 73 - 07/12/2017 13:30:11    2064611

Link

Gollogly has retired

Many new players in the panel for mc kenna cup but will it be the old dogs for the hard road come the first round of league against mayo

222 (UK) - Posts: 529 - 08/12/2017 09:34:16    2064653

Link

Mckenna cup is for trying new players. Any new young forwards coming through?

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 492 - 11/12/2017 14:20:14    2064841

Link

Replying To Bernardo:  "Mckenna cup is for trying new players. Any new young forwards coming through?"
Young forwards I'd love to see playing in the McKenna Cup: Stephen O'Hanlon (Carrick), Stephen Finnegan (Donaghmoyne), David Garland (Donaghmoyne), James Wilson (Toome), Micheál Bannigan (Aughnamullen) and Michael O'Dowd (Clontibret) would make a seriously pacey forward line, although Finnegan could be half-back. Lots of very exciting players there, not sure if any of them are ready for the senior team just yet though.

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 84 - 12/12/2017 19:24:57    2065021

Link

Great to see some fresh blood in for the new season with Barry Kerr, Padraig McGuirk, James Wilson, David Garland, Barry McBennett and Dean Connolly all getting a chance.

bananaskin (Monaghan) - Posts: 47 - 15/12/2017 15:05:07    2065260

Link

What's the situation with the bright prospect Barry Mc Ginn that unfortunately did his cruciate last year?

OrielPower (Monaghan) - Posts: 103 - 15/12/2017 21:15:21    2065298

Link

Assuming the match lineout matches the panel numbers...I can't see the point of picking Neil McAdam at midfield in a game that will be forgotten in 2 weeks. I like him as a player but he should be at centre back. This is not the way to fix the midfield problem and doesn't bode well for the rest of the year. Surely someone else, e.g. Dean Connolly who looks like a good prospect, should be given a start in this game.

PolicemanFox (Monaghan) - Posts: 66 - 03/01/2018 15:24:39    2066626

Link

Any body at the game last night ?
How did the younger lads do?
Anybody catch the eye

MONAGHAN1985 (Monaghan) - Posts: 73 - 04/01/2018 13:54:47    2066796

Link

Enjoyed the game last night. As far as January football and the Mckenna cup goes at least there was a little bit of bite, some excellent scores and yes of course the odd mistake and patches of sloppy play from both sides that the shite conditions will inevitably serve up!

We were quite strong last night with maybe only 5 or 6 regulars missing. You lads seemed to have had near enough a complete B/Trialist team out. I was very impressed with garland playing inside for yous but most impressed with your no.6 McGuirk. Beast of a lad but also very composed on the ball.

I was a bit disappointed monaghan didnt go a bit stronger but non the less it was great to have some football back on the agenda to get us out of the house!

RedRum (Fermanagh) - Posts: 265 - 04/01/2018 16:04:35    2066813

Link

Wasn't at the game on Wednesday so i'm wondering the same to how the new lads done.
What's everyone's thoughts on the upcoming game, Donegal are a team who may be like ourselves trying out new players and have a few players coming back, They did seem to have a good win the other night

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 700 - 05/01/2018 14:21:06    2066952

Link

Replying To MonaghanGlory:  "Wasn't at the game on Wednesday so i'm wondering the same to how the new lads done.
What's everyone's thoughts on the upcoming game, Donegal are a team who may be like ourselves trying out new players and have a few players coming back, They did seem to have a good win the other night"
McGuirk at 6, Garland, Wilson and bannigan all showed well. Paudie McKenna worked hard too. Good to see new faces been tried. Frank Connolly, Barry McBennett and Dean Connolly all game on so very positive for us. Fermanagh only missing 5/6 so was a good test. I would imagine Donegal will be same as us and trying players. Hopefully a solid performance Sunday (wouldn't be worried about result) and a win against Queens. We don't need to be making the semi finals with the league coming soon.

kupa (Monaghan) - Posts: 267 - 05/01/2018 14:43:47    2066955

Link

Replying To kupa:  "McGuirk at 6, Garland, Wilson and bannigan all showed well. Paudie McKenna worked hard too. Good to see new faces been tried. Frank Connolly, Barry McBennett and Dean Connolly all game on so very positive for us. Fermanagh only missing 5/6 so was a good test. I would imagine Donegal will be same as us and trying players. Hopefully a solid performance Sunday (wouldn't be worried about result) and a win against Queens. We don't need to be making the semi finals with the league coming soon."
I agree with the name listed above also thought Barry Kerr and Conor Boyle looked impressive too. Boyle will definitely be the shake up for starting places later in the year. Great to have him back.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1849 - 05/01/2018 19:32:57    2067009

Link

New year, same GAA.

Teams on the field and crowd inside st tiernachs park and then officials decide to call off the game because of frozen pitch.

A bit of common sense wouldn't go a miss here. Surely the officials thought the pitch would be frozen before they got there and could have asked one of the Monaghan referees to go to clones and deem it playable/unplayable.

It's just common courtesy and showing a bit of consideration for the Donegal fans travelling down.

Imagine taking a woman to that today on a first date only for it to be called off, there wouldnt be a second date!!!!

Monaghansclown (Monaghan) - Posts: 101 - 07/01/2018 16:06:55    2067177

Link

New year, same GAA.

Teams on the field and crowd inside st tiernachs park and then officials decide to call off the game because of frozen pitch.

A bit of common sense wouldn't go a miss here. Surely the officials thought the pitch would be frozen before they got there and could have asked one of the Monaghan referees to go to clones and deem it playable/unplayable.

It's just common courtesy and showing a bit of consideration for the Donegal fans travelling down.

Imagine taking a woman to that today on a first date only for it to be called off, there wouldnt be a second date!!!!

Monaghansclown (Monaghan) - Posts: 101 - 07/01/2018 16:42:21    2067190

Link

A bit of a non event last night , thought D garland was v good ; after that not much more to report
A more interesting challenge v Donegal on Sunday

MONAGHAN1985 (Monaghan) - Posts: 73 - 11/01/2018 21:24:24    2067876

Link

Listening to Donegal game on Highland Radio.........Martin McHugh saying that a bit worrying for Monaghan in that no new players have shown much today.....much more positive about his own county's young prospects....anyone at match care to comment ?........ D Garland not on today so maybe he the only find for Monaghan in this year's McKenna ?

Shelbourne (Monaghan) - Posts: 567 - 14/01/2018 16:04:29    2068242

Link

Was McHugh judging them on the 70 minutes or less he saw today or including the 2 other games?
Today was only my first game of the year, when the right moves were made (McGuirk given more of a freedom role for example) there was positives, room for improvement yes but over the 3 games it seems that the new lads done grand judging by other views on here

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 700 - 15/01/2018 01:30:51    2068395

Link

Replying To MonaghanGlory:  "Was McHugh judging them on the 70 minutes or less he saw today or including the 2 other games?
Today was only my first game of the year, when the right moves were made (McGuirk given more of a freedom role for example) there was positives, room for improvement yes but over the 3 games it seems that the new lads done grand judging by other views on here"
So what/who specifically were the positives in your opinion ?
McHugh obviously judging Monaghan new players on that game alone !

Shelbourne (Monaghan) - Posts: 567 - 15/01/2018 12:26:36    2068459

Link