Monaghan Forum

Club Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

So we're now into the business end of the Club calendar, what's everyone's latest predictions for the Senior / Intermediate / Junior Championship, now that we've seen a lot of the League games as well as some Championship games?
For Junior, I think Currin, if they stay injury free. Seans had a great League but didn't look too convincing against Oram in the Championship.
Intermediate, Carrick look very, very strong. They're like a Senior team. Will take some stopping.
For Senior, Scotstown won it last year WITHOUT Conor McCarthy! So it'd be some task to beat them when they have him! Ballybay / Clontibret are the only teams that can stop them for me anyway. Latton capable of causing an upset, but can't see them winning it all.

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 95 - 06/08/2017 21:09:49    2029934

Link

Anyone know any days and times of games next weekend especially Ballybay v Blayney?

Mike Patton (Monaghan) - Posts: 82 - 06/08/2017 22:03:41    2029958

Link

Replying To Mike Patton:  "Anyone know any days and times of games next weekend especially Ballybay v Blayney?"
Just seen that Ballybay v Blayney is down for 7pm on Saturday at Clontibret
Clones v Eire Og in IFC at 515 at the same venue

And three more SFC matches down for the Sunday

Mike Patton (Monaghan) - Posts: 82 - 07/08/2017 08:28:13    2030081

Link

Replying To Mike Patton:  "Just seen that Ballybay v Blayney is down for 7pm on Saturday at Clontibret
Clones v Eire Og in IFC at 515 at the same venue

And three more SFC matches down for the Sunday"
A lot of championship games now being played in a short space of time.

Eire og v clones will b a close game but clones shud pull through to them face currin in a huge game..

footyfan1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 38 - 07/08/2017 21:47:51    2030635

Link

Bumper weekend of fixtures ahead. Really looking forward to it. Inniskeen and Carrick should be a cracker on Friday night, as will the two games in Blayney on Sunday, Aughnamullen and Doohamlet in Blackhill on Sunday as well. Any thoughts?

Senior Championship:

Saturday 12th Aug 2017
Ballybay v Castleblayney in Clontibret at 7:00 PM Referee: Martin Mc Nally

Sunday 13th Aug 2017
Killanny v Scotstown in Clontibret at 1:30 PM Referee: Stephen Hagan

Monaghan Harps v Magheracloone in Castleblayney at 5:15 PM Referee: Brian D Finnegan

Latton v Clontibret O'Neills in Castleblayney at 7:00 PM Referee: Niall Mc Kenna

Intermediate Championship

Friday 11th Aug 2017
Inniskeen v Carrickmacross Emmets GFC in Castleblayney at 7:30 PM Referee: Ciaran Mulligan

Saturday 12th Aug 2017
Emyvale v Corduff in Scotstown at 5:15 PM Referee: Andrew Mullen

Cremartin v Tyholland in Scotstown at 7:00 PM Referee: Donal Connolly

Sunday 13th Aug 2017
Aughnamullen v Doohamlet in Blackhill at 1:30 PM Referee: Jason Mc Andrew

Junior Championship

Saturday 12th Aug 2017
Clones v Eire Óg in Clontibret at 5:15 PM Referee: Anthony Marron

xxB3B0Stunnahxx (USA) - Posts: 94 - 08/08/2017 10:25:47    2030842

Link

Replying To xxB3B0Stunnahxx:  "Bumper weekend of fixtures ahead. Really looking forward to it. Inniskeen and Carrick should be a cracker on Friday night, as will the two games in Blayney on Sunday, Aughnamullen and Doohamlet in Blackhill on Sunday as well. Any thoughts?

Senior Championship:

Saturday 12th Aug 2017

Sunday 13th Aug 2017

Monaghan Harps v Magheracloone in Castleblayney at 5:15 PM Referee: Brian D Finnegan

Latton v Clontibret O'Neills in Castleblayney at 7:00 PM Referee: Niall Mc Kenna

Friday 11th Aug 2017
Inniskeen v Carrickmacross Emmets GFC in Castleblayney at 7:30 PM Referee: Ciaran Mulligan

Saturday 12th Aug 2017

Sunday 13th Aug 2017

Junior Championship

Saturday 12th Aug 2017
Clones v Eire Óg in Clontibret at 5:15 PM Referee: Anthony Marron"
My predictions for the games listed are:
Ballybay
Scotstown
Monaghan harps
Clontibret
Inniskeen
Corduff
Cremartin
Doohamlet
Clones

monaghanman08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 12 - 08/08/2017 15:12:49    2031080

Link

Have Killaney any chance against Scots town. Their county lads will be certainly taking the game for granted which may leave them vulnerable

Frederick (Louth) - Posts: 479 - 09/08/2017 02:21:06    2031409

Link

Replying To Frederick:  "Have Killaney any chance against Scots town. Their county lads will be certainly taking the game for granted which may leave them vulnerable"
lol they could literally go on the beer every night from now until Sunday and still beat Killanny out the gate

Monaghansclown (Monaghan) - Posts: 104 - 09/08/2017 09:37:39    2031452

Link

So I see the club scene will be back in full flow over the next few weeks, the average Joe-Soap player getting flogged again as mentioned before.. I happened to review the fixtures for the 3 club championships and all I can say is it is a joke! For instance in Junior, the loser of the game this weekend is guaranteed to be playing a high-intensity championship match for 3 weeks on the spin. This is after both clubs having no championship game for 11 weeks!!! This structure seriously needs to be revised. Granted, Monaghan are generally one of the best in ensuring games are played off but this just can not be sustained going forward. Players across the county cannot be expected to train since January and effectively their season, at least in terms of championship, could be decided over 3 weekends. The GAA need to act fast and act NOW! A complete overhaul of the current calendar must be looked at. This will unlikely be until after the money making Super 8 has completed its 'trial run' , but it has to be suggested and looked at in detail.

MonaghanGa3l (USA) - Posts: 7 - 09/08/2017 10:21:11    2031463

Link

Replying To xxB3B0Stunnahxx:  "Bumper weekend of fixtures ahead. Really looking forward to it. Inniskeen and Carrick should be a cracker on Friday night, as will the two games in Blayney on Sunday, Aughnamullen and Doohamlet in Blackhill on Sunday as well. Any thoughts?

Senior Championship:

Saturday 12th Aug 2017

Sunday 13th Aug 2017

Friday 11th Aug 2017

Saturday 12th Aug 2017

Sunday 13th Aug 2017

Junior Championship

Saturday 12th Aug 2017
Clones v Eire Óg in Clontibret at 5:15 PM Referee: Anthony Marron"
Ballybay
Scotstown
Magheracloone
Latton
Carrick
Corduff
Cremartin
Aughnamullen
Clones
That's my predictions. Toughest to predict is Latton / Clontibret for me

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 95 - 09/08/2017 15:07:42    2031621

Link

Great weekend of club matches. Goals kept blayney in it v ballybay. Finlay and McGuinness were very good as was Hanratty.

Scotstown won a pure miss match no surprises there

Maraghcloone had a good 2nd half and 6 points from freeman got them over the line but it was a good team performance. Freeman still shows his class.

Finally, poor start to Latton clontibret match but slowly warmed up. Latton play a tough game of short kick outs and hard running. O Brien kicked 5 or 6 I'd say but lots of wides from both sides. Clontibret pressed for goals. McManus look like a tired injured man but still class when he gets a chance I think Monaghan have to start thinking without him as there only seems to be few years left in him. Young O Dowd is a class footballer and clontibret best player tonight for me.

Latton look like a team on a mission. Had a plan and stuck to it well.

muckla (UK) - Posts: 331 - 13/08/2017 20:57:09    2032912

Link

Replying To muckla:  "Great weekend of club matches. Goals kept blayney in it v ballybay. Finlay and McGuinness were very good as was Hanratty.

Scotstown won a pure miss match no surprises there

Maraghcloone had a good 2nd half and 6 points from freeman got them over the line but it was a good team performance. Freeman still shows his class.

Finally, poor start to Latton clontibret match but slowly warmed up. Latton play a tough game of short kick outs and hard running. O Brien kicked 5 or 6 I'd say but lots of wides from both sides. Clontibret pressed for goals. McManus look like a tired injured man but still class when he gets a chance I think Monaghan have to start thinking without him as there only seems to be few years left in him. Young O Dowd is a class footballer and clontibret best player tonight for me.

Latton look like a team on a mission. Had a plan and stuck to it well."
Judging by this weekends games Scotstown have nothing to be worried about. Was well impressed with Blayney against Ballybay. Hanratty got the better of Ryan Wylie. Christopher McGuiness was excellent. Blayney's midfield is what will hold them back.
Wasn't impressed by either Latton or Clontibret. Eoin and Kieran Duffy both very good, Bob O'Brien and McCabe very lively.
For Clontibret, young O'Dowd and McGuigan were easily the best players they had. McGuigan carried the team going forward.
Scotstown are laughing all the way to another Championship in my eyes.

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 95 - 13/08/2017 21:33:07    2032938

Link

A strange weekend in club football with most of the underdogs winning. i.e Latton beating Clontibret, Magheracloone beating Harps, Aughnamullen beating Doohamlet, Emyvale beating Corduff, and Tyholland beating Cremartin. Monaghan club football must be up there with the most competitive in Ireland. Agree that Scotstown will be laughing but I still feel that there will be a good challenge made by Ballybay before the year is out.

monaghanman08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 12 - 14/08/2017 14:01:05    2033252

Link

Emyvale was outstanding against Corduff. Full value for the win and could of won by more.
Cremartin was in total control till Barry kerrs black/yellow cards. Johnny mc guigan gave tyholland a tough time along with Burke. Fair play to tyholland the stuck at it and got tru.
Aughnamullen were fantastic yesterday and on another day would of won comfortable. Kicked a lot of wides and handed doohamlet a goal before half time to bring them back into It. All in all a few good games. Back door is littered with big names. Front door is the only way to go.....

stvictor (Monaghan) - Posts: 61 - 14/08/2017 17:45:42    2033382

Link

Replying To MonaghanGa3l:  "So I see the club scene will be back in full flow over the next few weeks, the average Joe-Soap player getting flogged again as mentioned before.. I happened to review the fixtures for the 3 club championships and all I can say is it is a joke! For instance in Junior, the loser of the game this weekend is guaranteed to be playing a high-intensity championship match for 3 weeks on the spin. This is after both clubs having no championship game for 11 weeks!!! This structure seriously needs to be revised. Granted, Monaghan are generally one of the best in ensuring games are played off but this just can not be sustained going forward. Players across the county cannot be expected to train since January and effectively their season, at least in terms of championship, could be decided over 3 weekends. The GAA need to act fast and act NOW! A complete overhaul of the current calendar must be looked at. This will unlikely be until after the money making Super 8 has completed its 'trial run' , but it has to be suggested and looked at in detail."
Wholeheartedly agree, just looking ahead to even the league games next week which are fixed for Wednesday at 7pm, that's putting a big squeeze on any lads travelling from Dublin or who work late. Very hard to plan ahead when fixtures are bundled in so quickly, some clubs looking at playing championship this weekend, league on Wednesday and then Championship Saturday/Sunday again.

sporto (Monaghan) - Posts: 139 - 16/08/2017 10:56:27    2034071

Link

Was at Intermediate double header in Inniskeen tonight, I know they were back door games but very poor turnout. Are people sick of club football already?

Was impressed with both Toome and Blackhill, the former showed great fitness and all round attacking threat, Blackhill for bringing fight to a former Senior team and showing some excellent forward power. I hope this was just a slight hiccup for Doohamlat, they looked very very poor today.

Iamlegion666 (Monaghan) - Posts: 285 - 19/08/2017 20:53:23    2035404

Link

Was at the double header in Scotstown, Eire Og proved to be too strong for Drumhowan , second game was much better and eventually became tighter than the first one with Currin building a good lead for Clones to pull back and go a point ahead who could just a easily have won it.
McCarron was impressive and had quite a few good scores,
Looks like Clones play Aghabog now and Eire Og v Oram if i'm correct

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 706 - 19/08/2017 21:13:54    2035410

Link

Replying To Iamlegion666:  "Was at Intermediate double header in Inniskeen tonight, I know they were back door games but very poor turnout. Are people sick of club football already?

Was impressed with both Toome and Blackhill, the former showed great fitness and all round attacking threat, Blackhill for bringing fight to a former Senior team and showing some excellent forward power. I hope this was just a slight hiccup for Doohamlat, they looked very very poor today."
I also was at both games corduff look like a clueless team toome will give any team a game this year plus blackhill were unlucky

Cuppa (Monaghan) - Posts: 159 - 19/08/2017 21:20:34    2035414

Link

Who will win intermediate has anyone a chance other from carrick

Cuppa (Monaghan) - Posts: 159 - 19/08/2017 22:12:41    2035431

Link

Replying To Cuppa:  "Who will win intermediate has anyone a chance other from carrick"
No, nobody to beat Carrick,
Carrick are doing the double which might benefit corduff as they 'll prob finish 2nd
Was v disappointed with doohamlet, but thought toome looked good

MONAGHAN1985 (Monaghan) - Posts: 75 - 22/08/2017 13:36:40    2036384

Link