Galway Forum

County minor footballers 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To EDH:  "This is team from programme, didn't see any of the match and no mention of Evan Murphy from Salthill/Knocknacarra
1 Jack Kyne Clonbur
2 Ciaran Potter Annaghdown
3 Sean Mulkerrin Aran Islands
4 Max Peyton Moycullen
5 James Cowley Oranmore
6 Sean Fitzgearld Barna
7 Liam Boyle Kilkerrin/Clonbeirne
8 Marrhias Barrett Leitir Mor
9 James Mulroonry Ballygar
10 Brian Harlow St Michaels
11 Martin Kerrigan Clonbur
12 Liam Costelli Miltown
13 Rory Cunningham Ballygar
14 Padraig Costello Dunmore
15 Darragh Silke Corofin
Subs
Gearoid o Conghaile An Spideal
Dean Hynes Corofin
Gavin Burke Corofin
Jack Glynn Claregalway
Conor Campell Claregalway
Daniel Kenny Ougherard
Jack Gavin Ballygar
Paul Walsh Ougherard
David Connaughton Salthill/ Knocknacarra"
One of the corner backs from last year McFadden from Salthill should also be underage this year and is not listed there from the last game.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 727 - 15/03/2017 09:42:43    1967180

Link

its amazing to see the wide spread of clubs on represented on minor team
from aran island to clonbur
claregalway to corofin
miltown to Dunmore
st michaels and oranmore
and ballygar in northeast galway

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1154 - 15/03/2017 18:51:29    1967372

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "its amazing to see the wide spread of clubs on represented on minor team
from aran island to clonbur
claregalway to corofin
miltown to Dunmore
st michaels and oranmore
and ballygar in northeast galway"
Sorry now it's not Ballygar it's St Brendan's.

bud14 (Galway) - Posts: 296 - 15/03/2017 19:55:04    1967385

Link

Replying To bud14:  "Sorry now it's not Ballygar it's St Brendan's."
Bud, it is to highlight they are from the Ballygar St Brendan's and not the Loughrea St.Brendan's!

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 347 - 15/03/2017 20:34:37    1967394

Link

Replying To galwayman2:  "One of the corner backs from last year McFadden from Salthill should also be underage this year and is not listed there from the last game."
Forgot about him!

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 347 - 15/03/2017 20:35:28    1967395

Link

I see they beat Longford last Saturday, anyone at the game?

TheWestIsAwake (UK) - Posts: 529 - 20/03/2017 16:21:34    1969173

Link

Replying To TheWestIsAwake:  "I see they beat Longford last Saturday, anyone at the game?"
Any team from what lined out last Saturday for Galway minors.

bud14 (Galway) - Posts: 296 - 21/03/2017 13:57:35    1969504

Link

Replying To bud14:  "Any team from what lined out last Saturday for Galway minors."
Galway 2-12 Longford 1-10
Galway 0-05 Longford 0-08 at HT

1. Oran Burke
2. Conor Campbell
3. Sean Mulkerrin
4. Ciaran Potter
5. Gavin Burke
6. Eoin McFadden
7. Ross Mahon
8. Matthias Barrett
9. Daniel Kennedy
10. David Connaughton
11. Martin Kerrigan
12. Jack Gavin
13. Darragh Silke(0-5, 2f)
14. Padraig Costello(1-5, 3f)
15. Conor Newell(1-1)

James Crowley for Mahon(HT)
Brian Harlowe for Connaughton(HT
Sean McQuillan for Kerrigan(HT)
Rory Cunningham(0-1) for Gavin(HT)
James Mulroney for Kennedy(52 mins)

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 361 - 21/03/2017 16:11:11    1969569

Link

I think three should topic on club / county minors The amount of players who are unable 2 play for there clubs the day after playing for the county is a joke I think there has 2 be something done in this regard it's hard 2 believe they all injured for club but sound for county or are they being told not 2 play for club ( have heard numerous stories to suggest they are ) if so shame on Galway as a football county ) u must all remember u start ur career as a club player and u will finish it there everyone should remember Padraig Joyce never missed club matches and he was prob one of greatest players of any generation 2 play for Galway , I know it great 2 wear the maroon and white but it's just as good 2 play for ur club no matter what grade ,,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 419 - 21/03/2017 19:09:21    1969650

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "I think three should topic on club / county minors The amount of players who are unable 2 play for there clubs the day after playing for the county is a joke I think there has 2 be something done in this regard it's hard 2 believe they all injured for club but sound for county or are they being told not 2 play for club ( have heard numerous stories to suggest they are ) if so shame on Galway as a football county ) u must all remember u start ur career as a club player and u will finish it there everyone should remember Padraig Joyce never missed club matches and he was prob one of greatest players of any generation 2 play for Galway , I know it great 2 wear the maroon and white but it's just as good 2 play for ur club no matter what grade ,,"
Well said it's terrible what goes on I hear even if both clubs agree to change league games for some reason the management will not release them where it should be the club who releases them to the county

Yeaman (Galway) - Posts: 26 - 21/03/2017 23:50:57    1969794

Link

Replying To Yeaman:  "Well said it's terrible what goes on I hear even if both clubs agree to change league games for some reason the management will not release them where it should be the club who releases them to the county"
That's been going on for three years now, football board turning a blind eye to it. They couldn't care less about club football, player dropout at club minor level is massive over half of players don't play from minor level onwards. Football board only care about county teams & managers. Another thing was lads been told they would be dropped if caught playing soccer or hurling yet the door was left open for some lads to finish the soccer season, then they were brought in & lads who were there all along were dropped, double standards. Same happened when certain lads were told they were seen playing hurling. Three club minor games conceded in the last week, three major centres of population in the county & nobody bats an eyelid, just shows nobody cares anymore. I went to watch my nephews minor club game last week that was postponed due to "waterlogged" pitch which was only an excuse as the pitch had training for an underage team belonging to the home club on it afterwards, they looked like U14's & soccer training on it in the morning I was told. Two soccer games played only a couple of feet away on the same grounds, I walked in to watch the soccer in my good shoes & never got wet ! Galway Gaa is a joke.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 1014 - 22/03/2017 10:07:37    1969859

Link

It's a fact the Galway minor management team don't want there panel of 34+ playing for there clubs, the fixture list in Galway is horrendous and I don't think there is any panel in the A leagues of North Galway thaught can survive minus county lads

So screw the club player, they would be better off playing soccer or rugby! this is the beginning of the end of the gaa in Galway with these structures in place.. Shortsightedness

Ontopic (Galway) - Posts: 3 - 22/03/2017 14:48:50    1969996

Link

Replying To Ontopic:  "It's a fact the Galway minor management team don't want there panel of 34+ playing for there clubs, the fixture list in Galway is horrendous and I don't think there is any panel in the A leagues of North Galway thaught can survive minus county lads

So screw the club player, they would be better off playing soccer or rugby! this is the beginning of the end of the gaa in Galway with these structures in place.. Shortsightedness"
Have to agree with most of whats been said. Our own club had a player involved with
team for 2 seasons. He played in a critical position for the club but could hardly ever train/play with
club as long as involved in county panel (most sessions he got in year with club was < 10).
He got no championship time in the 2 years and ended getting injured in county training
just prior to club championship semifinal. Crazy situation. People are trying to build their reputations
on the backs of these young guys to satisfy their ambition with no real care for player
development.

westest (Galway) - Posts: 40 - 22/03/2017 16:42:18    1970042

Link

I know its only the league but the galway minors are going very well
I think they have won all their matches
looks like they have another decent team this year
im sure mayo and sligo will be stronger with their college players back

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1154 - 04/04/2017 16:37:57    1975547

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "I know its only the league but the galway minors are going very well
I think they have won all their matches
looks like they have another decent team this year
im sure mayo and sligo will be stronger with their college players back"
Agree thoroughly another good lively team this year. I seen them play against Mayo before the u21's and while they didn't play incredibly well they still seem to have the resolve to grind out a result. A hockey score by all accounts against Roscommon at the weekend by all accounts. There are several players who look very good. Mcfadden fantastic at corner back. Mulkerrin incredibly solid at full back, I personally would love to see him play as a third midfielder or a sweeper as when on the ball he drives at the opposition. Starts a lot of attacks from full back and very composed on the ball and has a great football brain and awareness. Both midfielders strong lads and not afraid to get forward. The forwards all work well together. Murphy was a joy to watch, always looking for a killer ball to the full forward line who are clinical again this year.

Tribesman83 (Galway) - Posts: 8 - 05/04/2017 10:34:07    1975910

Link

Would like to see Mulkerrin stay at full back, he's the best prospect we've had in that position for a long time.

TheWestIsAwake (UK) - Posts: 529 - 05/04/2017 17:00:27    1976083

Link

you know we have some brilliant talent on the way
from both the minors and the under 21 teams
mc daids performance the last night against sligo in the u21 final
was one of the best by a galway player in long time
how he had the energy to keep making those runs was unreal
and on top of that to kick 3 pts from no 7
rob finnerty like many a good galway forward of the past
has as sweet a left foot as Ive seen in a long time
and of course young mike daly is the real deal
very much reminds me of dad val who played that center forward role too
with great control of the ball and vision to match
thongs are certainly looking up

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1154 - 05/04/2017 19:33:05    1976141

Link

Well done to the minors on winning the Connacht league. Championship isn't that far away for them, they play Mayo in under 3 weeks time.

TheWestIsAwake (UK) - Posts: 529 - 10/04/2017 13:16:57    1977929

Link

Well done to minor management team , fantastically consistent with two Connaught championships , an all Ireland final and now a Connaught league under their belt, they're was a lot of critism on this forum about the manager and his backroom team but from what I've seen on the pitch they've delivered a very well coached team playing to their full potential each season and we certainly look ahead to this season with huge optimism , hopefully they can go one better and win the all Ireland but I'm sure they're not looking past the mayo game , best of luck to panel and management team for year ahead #getfirst Gaillimh Abu

Onetribe (Galway) - Posts: 19 - 15/04/2017 15:36:31    1979575

Link

Replying To Onetribe:  "Well done to minor management team , fantastically consistent with two Connaught championships , an all Ireland final and now a Connaught league under their belt, they're was a lot of critism on this forum about the manager and his backroom team but from what I've seen on the pitch they've delivered a very well coached team playing to their full potential each season and we certainly look ahead to this season with huge optimism , hopefully they can go one better and win the all Ireland but I'm sure they're not looking past the mayo game , best of luck to panel and management team for year ahead #getfirst Gaillimh Abu"
Couldn't agree more OneTribe and I would also have to say, after being at the u21 all Ireland semi final today, a couple players that completely stood out throughout their campaign were Cein Darcy, Dessie Conneely, Rob Finnerty and I could even go back to the previous year with the likes of Liam Kelly, Colm O'Braoinan and Dylan McHugh etc. These lads were well coached at minor level and are a credit to the current minor management so I don't understand how people can come on here and criticise them. Anyway, rant over. Congrats to the lads on a good league campaign, let's hope for a GREAT championship. Best of luck to the lads against mayo, give it socks. And best of luck to the u21s in their upcoming all Ireland final. We are on the up. #GaillimhAbú

in_my_opinion (Galway) - Posts: 43 - 15/04/2017 19:06:12    1979675

Link