Galway Forum

Re-Starting Club Matches

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To moc.dna:  "Is it true there is video footage of certain clubs & an underage & senior inter county set up training in pods in public parks going back weeks ago, when it was against Govt guidelines & GAA advice. Could be a massive PR disaster for the GAA if it's put up online. Could all those involved be thrown out of the respective competitions."
Oh for Gods sake..

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 306 - 12/06/2020 10:58:03    2280488

Link

Firstly the GAA have to be congratulated on doing a great job so far and , along with many other groups of people , have contributed to the situation whereby we really appear to have got this COVID thing by the throat at this point in time.

But there is a real need for clarity and fairness from this point on.

We all know that there has been a level of breaches to the regulations in terms of training being done by different clubs.
I would agree with the point being made by some that, in terms of risk of spreading virus , these activities have been low risk. But, the difficulty I have is that some groups are adhering rigidlly and others are not...and this is not fair.

I have already pointed out on another thread , the unfairness of clubs who use council/corporation pitches which are open versus those that own enclosed grounds. At least this bias will be ironed out later this month.

The next big anomaly will be at county level, where some counties may decide to rattle off club championships quicker than others and relieve county players to focus on county earlier.

The statement that they wont be insured while doing county activities until mid September really doesn't carry any weight. Most counties ( and certainly the powerful ones ) will be in a position to underwrite any injury costs.

The GAA will need to get a handle on this and give very clear direction , with measures to monitor and enforce.
Also Im really concerned that the squeeze will be put on clubs to either play off the championship quicker than directed by HQ, or indeed that the clubs will have limited access to county players in the "club" period.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 137 - 12/06/2020 12:36:41    2280500

Link

I have to with a lot of what anotheralias has said.
It is a pipe dream to think that the county will just wait until the 15 September to train across both codes. I did hear that the hurling set up have put a plan in place that you would be hard pressed to see in a professional sport so good luck there in getting club players to train.

Senior Club Football championship is to take place on the weekend of the 31st July. With the time lines put out by the Gaa you are putting the players at a major risk of injury if you stick to 1 month preparation. They expect you to go from 0 to championship in 1 month which for me is crazy. You will need at least 2 wks just to get players being able to move L & R at speed etc. Physios will be rubbling their hands both figuratively and in reality.
The first weekend of the German football league there were 11 times more injuries than a normal weekend and they are professional. It will be carnage the first weekend of championship.

For me clubs should be back now working with the players on getting up to speed and doing so in a [b]safe manner. You put a players welfare and safety at risk by not doing so.

galwaygoal (Galway) - Posts: 105 - 12/06/2020 14:56:54    2280514

Link

Replying To galwaygoal:  "I have to with a lot of what anotheralias has said.
It is a pipe dream to think that the county will just wait until the 15 September to train across both codes. I did hear that the hurling set up have put a plan in place that you would be hard pressed to see in a professional sport so good luck there in getting club players to train.

Senior Club Football championship is to take place on the weekend of the 31st July. With the time lines put out by the Gaa you are putting the players at a major risk of injury if you stick to 1 month preparation. They expect you to go from 0 to championship in 1 month which for me is crazy. You will need at least 2 wks just to get players being able to move L & R at speed etc. Physios will be rubbling their hands both figuratively and in reality.
The first weekend of the German football league there were 11 times more injuries than a normal weekend and they are professional. It will be carnage the first weekend of championship.

For me clubs should be back now working with the players on getting up to speed and doing so in a [b
safe manner. You put a players welfare and safety at risk by not doing so."]Thats a good point re injuries. At the very least the board should change the junior eligibiliy. I.e.If a sub is brought in secind half of senior championship it shouldnt pteclude him from junior. That way tired unfit players can be rested and reduce injury risk. Also increase number if subs allowed for same reason. Just for 2020.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 137 - 12/06/2020 16:19:42    2280519

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "

For me clubs should be back now working with the players on getting up to speed and doing so in a [b
safe manner. You put a players welfare and safety at risk by not doing so."
Thats a good point re injuries. At the very least the board should change the junior eligibiliy. I.e.If a sub is brought in secind half of senior championship it shouldnt pteclude him from junior. That way tired unfit players can be rested and reduce injury risk. Also increase number if subs allowed for same reason. Just for 2020."]Where did you hear injuries increased 11 times in Bundesliga that's nonsense was around x2 or 3 more injuries they estimate.

don't be spouting nonsense as well about what hurling team are doing when you are going off idle talk

jm25 (Galway) - Posts: 1100 - 12/06/2020 20:27:32    2280541

Link

Replying To jm25:  "
Replying To anotheralias:  "[quote=galwaygoal:  "I have to with a lot of what anotheralias has said.

Thats a good point re injuries. At the very least the board should change the junior eligibiliy. I.e.If a sub is brought in secind half of senior championship it shouldnt pteclude him from junior. That way tired unfit players can be rested and reduce injury risk. Also increase number if subs allowed for same reason. Just for 2020."]Where did you hear injuries increased 11 times in Bundesliga that's nonsense was around x2 or 3 more injuries they estimate.

don't be spouting nonsense as well about what hurling team are doing when you are going off idle talk"]https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/bundesliga-return-proves-frank-lampards-18289577.amp

galwaygoal (Galway) - Posts: 105 - 12/06/2020 21:16:40    2280549

Link

Replying To galwaygoal:  "
Replying To jm25:  "[quote=anotheralias:  "[quote=galwaygoal:  "I have to with a lot of what anotheralias has said.

don't be spouting nonsense as well about what hurling team are doing when you are going off idle talk"]https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/bundesliga-return-proves-frank-lampards-18289577.amp"]Link says injuries 226% which is not an eleven times increase it's a 2 or 3 times increase as I said

An 11x increase you a being looking at nearly a full team getting injured a game

jm25 (Galway) - Posts: 1100 - 13/06/2020 19:45:15    2280702

Link

safe manner. You put a players welfare and safety at risk by not doing so."]I don't disagree with your overall point that a return to high intensity matches requires prep to avoid injury.

However I would argue that no I/C player will be going from 0. Whether they are on a program or not these are highly self motivated individuals that will be training away themselves.

Skill level, team work, pre planned moves may suffer a bit but I would guess that fitness work won't take too long to get them up to speed (pardon the pun!)

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1299 - 15/06/2020 11:25:14    2280883

Link

Who's the top 4 teams in the intermediate and sfc

Bigbarry (Galway) - Posts: 3 - 17/06/2020 17:45:08    2281138

Link

Top four teams in sfc and ifc this year?

Bigbarry (Galway) - Posts: 3 - 17/06/2020 17:47:07    2281139

Link

My prediction top 4 senior corofin .mountbellew / Moylough , Tuam and Moycullen

Intermediate, kilcoly , Oranmore, cortoon and Dunmore ,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 466 - 17/06/2020 19:18:55    2281150

Link

Predictions for winners and relegation in SFC and IFC

Gaagodeo (Galway) - Posts: 49 - 18/06/2020 09:41:09    2281175

Link

Replying To Gaagodeo:  "Predictions for winners and relegation in SFC and IFC"
Corofin globe trotters for senior. Micheal Breathnaigh or Caro for relegation.
Kilconly for IFC, Oileain Arainn down.

MairtinTomSean (Galway) - Posts: 45 - 18/06/2020 19:21:52    2281224

Link

Winner senior Mountbellew/ Moylough, just though I'd go someone different, relegation caherlistrane , st Michael,

Intermediate winners Oranmore
Relegation Willamstown

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 466 - 18/06/2020 19:39:14    2281225

Link

Corofin will hopefully be beaten. It is a shame that their hatchet man in chief won't be playing this year to taste that defeat. No shortage of junior hatchet men to replace him.

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 496 - 19/06/2020 13:04:18    2281269

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "Corofin will hopefully be beaten. It is a shame that their hatchet man in chief won't be playing this year to taste that defeat. No shortage of junior hatchet men to replace him."
What are you on about?

galwayfan (None) - Posts: 747 - 19/06/2020 13:34:41    2281271

Link

Kilconly for IFC

Corofin for senior

Michael's and MB for the trapdoor

Stripsandbanners (Galway) - Posts: 31 - 19/06/2020 21:12:09    2281314

Link

Noticed 3 clubs back training and not parking cars at club house but opting to park at local church or on side roads and jumping back walls. Mad to get back and I totally understand. I reckon we are going to get great crowds. Any changes in Management for any teams?

ref (Galway) - Posts: 205 - 19/06/2020 21:42:09    2281316

Link

Any idea when the Football draw is on?

galwaygoal (Galway) - Posts: 105 - 24/06/2020 15:55:08    2281741

Link

Replying To galwaygoal:  "Any idea when the Football draw is on?"
It's being done next Tuesday. Changing the 3 groups of 6, to 3 groups of 4 and 2 groups of 3. This will reduce the number of games to be played.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 923 - 26/06/2020 13:54:57    2281879

Link