Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I must say I've had a good laugh this evening reading this thread, but my absolute favourite line was a Mayo man/woman ( or account at least ) referring to Galway as the noisy neighbours, thanks for that , badly needed laugh during these tough times.

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 241 - 27/10/2020 18:39:25    2302200

Link

Replying To club51:  "I've never heard such codswallop.Take your chances, Galway went over 10 years without winning a game in Croke park.
beaten by 15 points Mayo, 6 points by a 4th string Dublin, when a league title was a possibility (Take that chance did ye)
If me granny had balls shed be my uncle.
Mayo haven't done the holy grail just yet, but your jealousy of Mayos record over the last decade plus is actually embarrassing. Its akin to "Oh if DJ Carey played with Galway we would have won more all Irelands" Childish.
Anybody coming so close to toppling the Dubs are over achieving.

Kerry couldn't do it last year when they had the Dubs on an off day and down to 14 men for most of the game.
(i think they will this year)

Come back to me when Division 2 teams arent beating ye by 15 points .:)"
A Mayo fan claiming Galway fans are jealous of his county. Pot, kettle and black come to mind. Mayo ones like yourself were bitter enough in 1998 and 2001 when we achieved what Mayo couldn't. As for claiming credit "for coming so close to toppling the Dubs" - talk about clutching at straws, you still came second.

You weren't a Division 2 team when you beat us the other week. You are now though. Enjoy your stay there!

Ailteoir (Galway) - Posts: 804 - 27/10/2020 20:42:46    2302265

Link

Replying To club51:  "I've never heard such codswallop.Take your chances, Galway went over 10 years without winning a game in Croke park.
beaten by 15 points Mayo, 6 points by a 4th string Dublin, when a league title was a possibility (Take that chance did ye)
If me granny had balls shed be my uncle.
Mayo haven't done the holy grail just yet, but your jealousy of Mayos record over the last decade plus is actually embarrassing. Its akin to "Oh if DJ Carey played with Galway we would have won more all Irelands" Childish.
Anybody coming so close to toppling the Dubs are over achieving.

Kerry couldn't do it last year when they had the Dubs on an off day and down to 14 men for most of the game.
(i think they will this year)

Come back to me when Division 2 teams arent beating ye by 15 points .:)"
Come back on here when ye bridge the gap from 1951

BTW Kerry were champs on Saturday, Galway were not playing for a title Sunday

maroondiesel (Mayo) - Posts: 1077 - 27/10/2020 21:01:07    2302272

Link

Replying To club51:  "reply was to Galwaymaster but...

Why would you care if Mayo lost 50 all irelands? Seriously other than its the only thing you can say when your being consistently beaten by them.

Dublin dont go on with this nonsense only the noisy neighbours.. Ill take the bet and give you 4 to 1 on Mayo not winning the all ireland this year
But I doubt you will put your monery where your mouth is as your all talk www.tedbets.com if your man enough"
Club51, I have plenty of friends in Mayo football who are much better placed to debate their points than you and they don't go on with nonsense about jealousies and other bitterness that you're fabricating and trying to stir up. Yes, the rivalry is strong and it's what's needed but what are you doing on a Galway forum obsessing about Mayo football and unfortunate near misses in the past?! Just enjoy the game, enjoy the rivalry but don't obsess - it's an amateur sport, working men doing their level best with a pastime and gift that they have and as supporters we're all the better for it, no matter what colour flag you grew up waving. Hopefully meet ye later on in the Championship, and let the banter be like it was in all my time - great craic, harmless banter and rising, and always good natured. This is not soccer.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 399 - 27/10/2020 21:26:39    2302280

Link

Ya, all teams have cycles of dominance, Mayo had a good run for the last 10 years.
At the end of day its the Roll of Honor that matters and the last time I checked Galway have 3 times as many All Ireland Senior Football titles as Mayo!!!

Fr_Tod_Unctious (Galway) - Posts: 94 - 27/10/2020 22:31:27    2302297

Link

Replying To Fr_Tod_Unctious:  "Ya, all teams have cycles of dominance, Mayo had a good run for the last 10 years.
At the end of day its the Roll of Honor that matters and the last time I checked Galway have 3 times as many All Ireland Senior Football titles as Mayo!!!"
I just checked it again last night, your correct.
If anything changes Ill let you know

club51 (Mayo) - Posts: 352 - 28/10/2020 08:09:25    2302327

Link

Replying To maroondiesel:  "Come back on here when ye bridge the gap from 1951

BTW Kerry were champs on Saturday, Galway were not playing for a title Sunday"
They werent playing for a title because Mayo bate them

club51 (Mayo) - Posts: 352 - 28/10/2020 08:10:40    2302328

Link

Replying To Galwaymaster9:  "You have serious issues; coming on the Galway page arguing with everyone a few days after ye were relegated to Div 2..
Go back over to the blog and spout nonsense there or on the numerous Facebook pages or podcasts..
Bottom line it's people like you why Mayo fans are ridiculed up and down the country..
Ye are struggling to even win a Connacht title since 2015 never mind 51..
At least the Rossies know where they stand and there is no rubbish from them.."
well saidl Galwaymaster9 but I think ur wasting your time answering club51. But in fairness I think he's in minority of football supporters who like going on different froums spouting nonsense to get a reaction. Fools like this aren't football or sports people they are keyboard warriors who sleep bett if they get a thumbs up for their silly posts

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 622 - 28/10/2020 08:53:07    2302336

Link

Replying To club51:  "They werent playing for a title because Mayo bate them"
Club51 I have decided the best thing to do with people that won't go away is agree with them. That way they get fed up when they have no one to disagree with. That's why I will just give ur posts the thumbs up anymore.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 622 - 28/10/2020 10:42:36    2302373

Link

right ok..alot of rubbish been spoken on here..club 51 wait until ye beat roscommon and us sligo before coming on here.
good lad...back to basics lads..no comer,no dylanwall,no john daly,ian burke and steede struggling and i dont think will take part in sligo game maybe from the bench..weve alot of work to to but we are in very heavy training at the mo so im expecting much better performances when champ comes around and im expecting us to win a connacht title which in p.j. first year of developing a new galway style and transiting new players will be a good year especially with the leaders he is missing..
my team v sligo..
1.gleeson..
2.kelly.
3.mulkerrin.
4.silke.
5.odonnell
6.mcdaid.
7.heaney.
8.darcy..give the man a chance..
9.flynn if fit..if not daly id love to see..
10.brannigan.work horse and a scorer.
11.conroy.
12.leonard. frees and kicking ability.
13.finnerty.
14.walsh.
15.varley.

subs..power.bradshaw.steede( if fit),molloy,sean andy,daly,connolly,tierney,barrett,sice,enda tierney..foley.

injured..comer..daly..wall.steede and burke douthful..
would like to see evan murphy, dylan mchugh, colin brady and darragh silke and eoin finnerry brought into the panel if there not on it already..
very good young players who have all had success at club level..
id also like to see young naughton from moycullen brought into the set up if not now then after xmas..what a talent he is and a real driving force..im also expecting bradshaw and o donnell to retire after this year..great servants and terrific footballers,.its also rumoured donie buckley is joining up after christmas and divilly is pulling out..thats the wrod anyway..any truth in this..

gbay (Galway) - Posts: 125 - 28/10/2020 13:09:45    2302463

Link

Replying To gbay:  "right ok..alot of rubbish been spoken on here..club 51 wait until ye beat roscommon and us sligo before coming on here.
good lad...back to basics lads..no comer,no dylanwall,no john daly,ian burke and steede struggling and i dont think will take part in sligo game maybe from the bench..weve alot of work to to but we are in very heavy training at the mo so im expecting much better performances when champ comes around and im expecting us to win a connacht title which in p.j. first year of developing a new galway style and transiting new players will be a good year especially with the leaders he is missing..
my team v sligo..
1.gleeson..
2.kelly.
3.mulkerrin.
4.silke.
5.odonnell
6.mcdaid.
7.heaney.
11.conroy.
13.finnerty.
14.walsh.
15.varley.

subs..power.bradshaw.steede( if fit),molloy,sean andy,daly,connolly,tierney,barrett,sice,enda tierney..foley.

would like to see evan murphy, dylan mchugh, colin brady and darragh silke and eoin finnerry brought into the panel if there not on it already..
id also like to see young naughton from moycullen brought into the set up if not now then after xmas..what a talent he is and a real driving force..im also expecting bradshaw and o donnell to retire after this year..great servants and terrific footballers,.its also rumoured donie buckley is joining up after christmas and divilly is pulling out..thats the wrod anyway..any truth in this.."
Good post and I hope ur right as regards Buckley. This guy would be very beneficial to the Galway set up. Only one thing I disagree with, I have never seen Lenoard take many frees for county. I leave free taking to Walsh or Conroy

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 622 - 28/10/2020 13:55:02    2302484

Link

Replying To gbay:  "right ok..alot of rubbish been spoken on here..club 51 wait until ye beat roscommon and us sligo before coming on here.
my team v sligo..
1.gleeson..
2.kelly.
3.mulkerrin.
4.silke.
5.odonnell
6.mcdaid.
7.heaney.
11.conroy.
13.finnerty.
14.walsh.
15.varley.

id also like to see young naughton from moycullen brought into the set up if not now then after xmas..what a talent he is and a real driving force..im also expecting bradshaw and o donnell to retire after this year..great servants and terrific footballers,.its also rumoured donie buckley is joining up after christmas and divilly is pulling out..thats the wrod anyway..any truth in this.."
Not sure about Buckley/Divilly. I heard earlier this year that Buckley was coming into the Galway backroom team for 2020, but this hasn't panned out.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 876 - 28/10/2020 14:05:12    2302491

Link

Replying To club51:  "nonsense same was said about the Galway hurlers till 2017, and such a huge generalization.
Ye as in Mayo people or ye as in all the players since 1951 this is ridiculous.
So when they said the galway hurlers didnt have the bottle were the galway footballers exempt? Or was it the behemoth of GAA Kildare the lads that didnt have the bottle or did meath not have bottle

When you win you can say that, when you dont you had the bottle but not the players is it....lol"
Ah sure if you want to go bringing the hurlers into the argument Galway have won 10 All Ireland's since Mayo last won one!!

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 318 - 28/10/2020 15:12:48    2302515

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Good post and I hope ur right as regards Buckley. This guy would be very beneficial to the Galway set up. Only one thing I disagree with, I have never seen Lenoard take many frees for county. I leave free taking to Walsh or Conroy"
your absolutely right about leonard free taking..conroy from the hands and walsh/leonard from the ground id be thinking..i like leonard..hes a natural wing forward..we dont have many of them which is a shame..hes prob lacking a bit in physicality which he can work on,( he reminds me of kevin mcloughlin from mayo.. but he works very hard and he is a very accurate shooter who distribution and link up play has always been excellent at club level anyway..did you see the pass for varley mark last sunday.. 40 yard pass while judging a gale breeze behind you,.that ability along is worth alot..thw way p.j. wants to play thats massively important if you can kick a ball accurately to a colleague from 50-50 yards.
jason leonard will be a serious player for galway in time to come..no douth..

gbay (Galway) - Posts: 125 - 28/10/2020 15:27:59    2302527

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "Ah sure if you want to go bringing the hurlers into the argument Galway have won 10 All Ireland's since Mayo last won one!!"
What's he on about hopballref, what would he know about hurling only the O'Neill ball is smaller.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 622 - 28/10/2020 15:37:14    2302532

Link

Replying To Toman:  "What's he on about hopballref, what would he know about hurling only the O'Neill ball is smaller."
Well that's true I suppose!

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 318 - 28/10/2020 16:03:36    2302542

Link

Replying To gbay:  "your absolutely right about leonard free taking..conroy from the hands and walsh/leonard from the ground id be thinking..i like leonard..hes a natural wing forward..we dont have many of them which is a shame..hes prob lacking a bit in physicality which he can work on,( he reminds me of kevin mcloughlin from mayo.. but he works very hard and he is a very accurate shooter who distribution and link up play has always been excellent at club level anyway..did you see the pass for varley mark last sunday.. 40 yard pass while judging a gale breeze behind you,.that ability along is worth alot..thw way p.j. wants to play thats massively important if you can kick a ball accurately to a colleague from 50-50 yards.
jason leonard will be a serious player for galway in time to come..no douth.."
Very deluded post. I thought he looked a long way off the pace.

renoir (Galway) - Posts: 69 - 28/10/2020 16:51:29    2302564

Link

Replying To renoir:  "Very deluded post. I thought he looked a long way off the pace."
Time will tell on JL as he has only had two appearances. A lot was expected from Martin Farragher as well but he has not kicked on and probably has regressed a little on his club form. Still both are relatively young so there is still time for them to make an impact. In fairness to Farragher he was sort of thrown in to a rather chaotic set up in Limerick last year with the mess over the goal keeper situation and bringing on Damo who was barely half fit I would suggest. Cooke was our stand out guy that evening and we could do with him for 2021. On this season we still have good options and in with a decent chance of winning Connacht. That match in Tuam last Sunday week will have little relevance and if anything our guys will be hurting if we get to a provincial final.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1763 - 28/10/2020 17:44:15    2302585

Link

Mayo very impressive. Strong hard running. Fantastic work rate and intensity. They always have a player available. I worry about our lads next week that they won't get up to the pitch of it. No game this week won't have helped. Don't know if we will cope with Mayo's power

Nogoal (Galway) - Posts: 39 - 08/11/2020 15:00:40    2306075

Link

Potential all ireland final for winner of this imo, if dubs are avoided in semi

Gaagodeo (Galway) - Posts: 49 - 08/11/2020 22:26:05    2306516

Link