Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Pullin.lambs1:  "Didn't blame anybody. The Moycullen were pulled out of the panel and it was splashed all over the media. Jesus the lads just won their first county final and it will always have the following weeks of problems attached it it. Tell me that didn't upset things

No blame. just the group had lads taken out of it. Didn't blame the coaches either. a different guy in doing the training with new methods. A week out of a big game after months of not playing together just might of thrown things a bit. No blame. Across the board it was poor. Listen to Joyce's interview after. One statement from him tells ya he knows it was bad. And it was a hard session"
He's not wrong you know.. the Moycullen lads most certainly didn't help things in terms of personnel or as a distraction for the panel and management as a whole.

MapleSyrup (Galway) - Posts: 82 - 20/10/2020 13:17:48    2299572

Link

Replying To sourmilk93:  "Really do ye not rate Michael Daly in Galway? From what i have seen of him i would have him ahead of most Galway forwards. Don't rate Burke at all honestly cant understand how he is still on the team living off a few nice hand pass assits from a few years ago."
When the going is good Daly will kick the few scores and look impressive. When the game is in the melting pot, don't expect him to feature.

Re Ian Burke you are spot on. I only done ordinary level English in the leaving so can someone tell me what is the correct term for being grossly over rated ?

MapleSyrup (Galway) - Posts: 82 - 20/10/2020 13:20:43    2299575

Link

Replying To MapleSyrup:  "When the going is good Daly will kick the few scores and look impressive. When the game is in the melting pot, don't expect him to feature.

Re Ian Burke you are spot on. I only done ordinary level English in the leaving so can someone tell me what is the correct term for being grossly over rated ?"
I believe you when you say "i only done ordinary level english" . I only "did" ordinary level too but my grammar is not that bad.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 137 - 20/10/2020 13:44:32    2299590

Link

Replying To anotheralias:  "I believe you when you say "i only done ordinary level english" . I only "did" ordinary level too but my grammar is not that bad."
I am dysleckisic

MapleSyrup (Galway) - Posts: 82 - 20/10/2020 14:58:36    2299631

Link

Replying To Pullin.lambs1:  "Still in disbelief regarding Sunday's performance as is most football fans. Preparations obviously haven't gone as well as expected. Strange times at the moment and when you see the difference in different match ups It is a pure sign Mayo are far superior. A huge gap between the two sides. Down to the basics. Defending & scoring.

What went on in Moycullen after the county final.

What went on in Tuam during the intermediate final
Things like that cause upset in groups.

Comer pulling up after 4 mins with a hamstring injury.

Last Sunday weeks hard session with McGuinness couldn't have helped either. If there are training programs in place through out the last few months then bang bring in a guy with a totally different out look can only bring trouble. Lads flat footed. Forwards not working hard enough. Big AOS being made look like an animal in ff. a lot of pride at stake next Sunday. Hopefully it will be restored. No need for the blame game. Across the board it was very poor. Defo as a group they can improve whether it's by Sunday or into spring 2021 I'd take either at this stage as long as there is improvement"
Last spring things were on an upward trajectory for this group and Sean Kelly, John Daly, Steed and Shane Walsh were vital components of the set up, none of these played last Sunday. We always felt the break came at exactly the wrong time in relation to the progression of the team, maybe Sunday's performance was an anomaly and this group could yet prove themselves in the competition that really counts....the c'ship.
Despite everything Galway should get to Connacht final and it's hard to see it being anybody but mayo coming through the other side of the draw, basically Galway have a month to right the ship.

Galway4ever (Galway) - Posts: 136 - 20/10/2020 16:46:58    2299669

Link

Replying To Ailteoir:  "Was Jim McGuinness' advice to keep 2m away from an opponent or did PJ and the players come up with that one themselves?"
That has to be the best one liner I have seen here in a long time and it summed up the game nicely!

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2407 - 20/10/2020 20:42:46    2299726

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "That has to be the best one liner I have seen here in a long time and it summed up the game nicely!"
Hilarious, the phrase has only been used 200 times since the game. Real original.

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 20/10/2020 22:11:44    2299762

Link

Replying To candlewax:  "Hilarious, the phrase has only been used 200 times since the game. Real original."
You obviously have actuarial/statistical talent - backroom team beckons...

Really (Galway) - Posts: 393 - 21/10/2020 00:26:01    2299798

Link

Replying To Really:  "You obviously have actuarial/statistical talent - backroom team beckons..."
Thankfully I do. It's nice to see you back commenting on this forum after your post last week, thought you were in hiding !!

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 21/10/2020 09:49:01    2299817

Link

Replying To candlewax:  "Hilarious, the phrase has only been used 200 times since the game. Real original."
Earwax with the hot take as usual

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 275 - 21/10/2020 16:12:55    2299998

Link

Replying To WunderBar:  "Earwax with the hot take as usual"
Thank you WunderBar.

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 21/10/2020 21:20:00    2300085

Link

Galway and Mayo supporters are just as bad as one another.
Galway hammer Tyrone in the league------Galway for Sam Players are world beaters
Mayo beat Galway----Mayo for sam O shea is unreal despite how rubbish he was this year at club
Mayo have been at a much higher level than Galway the last 14 years.

Its only natural I suppose but lets take stock, It will be a different Galway team for Championship
Dont kill the players if they have a bad game, or think its Santa sam time if they do ok.

Galway are not that bad and Mayo are not that good and I expect the championship meeting to be good.

HOWEVER Mayo must get over ROSS 1st, And ROSS have a fantastic chance of beating Mayo and Galway.

club51 (Mayo) - Posts: 343 - 22/10/2020 10:03:54    2300144

Link

Replying To club51:  "Galway and Mayo supporters are just as bad as one another.
Galway hammer Tyrone in the league------Galway for Sam Players are world beaters
Mayo beat Galway----Mayo for sam O shea is unreal despite how rubbish he was this year at club

Its only natural I suppose but lets take stock, It will be a different Galway team for Championship
Dont kill the players if they have a bad game, or think its Santa sam time if they do ok.

Galway are not that bad and Mayo are not that good and I expect the championship meeting to be good.

HOWEVER Mayo must get over ROSS 1st, And ROSS have a fantastic chance of beating Mayo and Galway."
'Mayo have been at a much higher level than Galway the last 14 years' - And what have ye to show for it? Nothing. At least we take our chances when they arise.

If those Mayo players were wearing Galway jerseys they would have two or three all Ireland's at this stage.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 309 - 22/10/2020 10:11:53    2300148

Link

Replying To club51:  "Galway and Mayo supporters are just as bad as one another.

HOWEVER Mayo must get over ROSS 1st, And ROSS have a fantastic chance of beating Mayo and Galway."
Disagree with you on this. Mayo fans/pundits are known for saying mayo for Sam and looking too far ahead... So much so that the rest of the country are able to poke fun at the Mayo fans for it. If anything the Galway fans are too negative at the best of times.

fryingpan (Galway) - Posts: 38 - 22/10/2020 10:32:04    2300153

Link

Replying To fryingpan:  "Disagree with you on this. Mayo fans/pundits are known for saying mayo for Sam and looking too far ahead... So much so that the rest of the country are able to poke fun at the Mayo fans for it. If anything the Galway fans are too negative at the best of times."
Fully agree wit u fryingpan on this one. As I said in another post and people think I'm having a laugh... this is mayo s year. The mayo fans drive their players over the edge on numerous occasions in past. I think without fans Mayo are favourites for Sam.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 622 - 22/10/2020 10:50:08    2300155

Link

Replying To hopballref:  "'Mayo have been at a much higher level than Galway the last 14 years' - And what have ye to show for it? Nothing. At least we take our chances when they arise.

If those Mayo players were wearing Galway jerseys they would have two or three all Ireland's at this stage."
I assume the statement above is an example of what Mayo fans say.. There is little between the 2 squads in reality..

As for the rest of the comment... Galway had the best team in the country in 98-2001 and won 2 AIs.. I am sure ye felt ye didnt take your chance in the drawn 2000 final

Mayo more recently were not as good as Dublin.. simple as.. I am sure you will agree after your meeting with them in the 2018 AI semi

unclegerry (Mayo) - Posts: 1204 - 22/10/2020 11:12:58    2300164

Link

Replying To unclegerry:  "I assume the statement above is an example of what Mayo fans say.. There is little between the 2 squads in reality..

As for the rest of the comment... Galway had the best team in the country in 98-2001 and won 2 AIs.. I am sure ye felt ye didnt take your chance in the drawn 2000 final

Mayo more recently were not as good as Dublin.. simple as.. I am sure you will agree after your meeting with them in the 2018 AI semi"
Well in fairness there were a couple of years back Mayo were better than Dublin but when a team puts the ball in their own net twice it's definitely going to be an uphill battle

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 622 - 22/10/2020 11:33:17    2300171

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Well in fairness there were a couple of years back Mayo were better than Dublin but when a team puts the ball in their own net twice it's definitely going to be an uphill battle"
The 2 OGs were freaks. Could not blame either player as the ball ricocheted off them. The 2016 final was decided in the replay by Dublin having more quality off the bench, particularly in the forwards

My point is that the Galway team of the day would not have fared any better v that Dubs team.

As a Mayo man 96 and 97 are the finals was where we blew it

unclegerry (Mayo) - Posts: 1204 - 22/10/2020 12:08:04    2300181

Link

Replying To unclegerry:  "The 2 OGs were freaks. Could not blame either player as the ball ricocheted off them. The 2016 final was decided in the replay by Dublin having more quality off the bench, particularly in the forwards

My point is that the Galway team of the day would not have fared any better v that Dubs team.

As a Mayo man 96 and 97 are the finals was where we blew it"
Can't understand why ur comparing Galway to Mayo in 2016. Galway weren't there full stop.. To me that sounds a big childish ie we didn't win but ye wouldn't have won either if ye were there. The fact is when Galway were there they did the business in 1998 and 2001. Agreed they left 2000 after them first day but imp if they won 2000 they might not have won in 2001. I also think it a bit of using ur imagination as excuses about not having bench of substitutes.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 622 - 22/10/2020 13:55:46    2300217

Link

Replying To unclegerry:  "I assume the statement above is an example of what Mayo fans say.. There is little between the 2 squads in reality..

Mayo more recently were not as good as Dublin.. simple as.. I am sure you will agree after your meeting with them in the 2018 AI semi"
Mayo were definitely good enough to win one.
Changing goalkeepers, missed COC free, Lee Keegan kicking into goalie hands, Vaughan sending off, own goal …. the list goes on.
Yes, we were disappointed not to win 00 but two out of three ain't bad.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 309 - 22/10/2020 15:32:45    2300253

Link