Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To FallenStar:  "It's a great shot to be fair. Sean Andy will bounce back and Aiden can put it up on a frame on the wall to go with the images of him crying after All-Ireland finals ;)"
It's also a foul. You can't stand on someone's back or shoulder to get leverage, Aussie Rules style. He did the same against Kerry last year to Adrian Spillane but even worse. Left stud marks on his shoulder.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 874 - 19/10/2020 15:46:26    2299234

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "Philip, Mayo won the AI U21 title in 2016 and were in the first U20s final in 2018. Were also unlucky to lose U20 to Galway this year on penalties after the game was played in a gale, so both counties are producing a healthy flow of talent. Results tend to run in sequences sometimes, but total dominance over the last 6 years disguises the reality just a bit."
We've had a few good underage teams the last few years. However there's no denying our terrible record against Galway between 2015 and last summer. 4 full years without a win at minor U20/1 and senior.

MayoDan (Mayo) - Posts: 189 - 19/10/2020 15:47:44    2299236

Link

Replying To MapleSyrup:  "its worth looking at players ? And championship right round the corner.... you're some ceolain."
Its effectively a challenge game. We haven't had a match in 6 months, have just been beaten out the gate by half time at home. Our key players are injured, we are entering a condensed run of games. Might be worth having a look at the panel alright!

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 435 - 19/10/2020 15:58:05    2299241

Link

Replying To sourmilk93:  "what's the story with Ian Burke? Hard see what he bring to the Galway team in last few years. Personally i always taught it was a joke he got an All Star before Comer and Walsh the year he got one and felt he got the nod due to his club performances. That said it was his best year with the county."
He never should have got a all-star because of corofin, reminds me of when brian cody got man of the match in the all ireland years back for being a manager. Burkes man was up and down the field all day and set up so many mayo scores

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 486 - 19/10/2020 16:04:54    2299243

Link

Replying To Galway2017:  "This was absolutely pathetic yesterday from Galway Kevin Walsh would never of let this happen another slaughter from Mayo .... the rubbish the players are say they're in the best shape of their lives then going off injured after a cpl of minutes embarrassing"
The s&c of the players is the worst i have ever seen

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 486 - 19/10/2020 16:20:38    2299251

Link

Silke is not a good defender hes more concerned with attacking remember carr roasting him for that famous goal last year? Burke wont shoot or defend more concerned with passing the ball around not good for a 14. Poor guys like Leonard making debuts yesterday cant remember him touching the ball once. When i saw Gary Sice was recalled to the Galway panel i knew we were in big trouble. People need to watch last years u20s and compare them to this years to see the trouble we could be in.

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 486 - 19/10/2020 16:33:08    2299255

Link

A lot of soul searching required I think in last 5 years Galway have tried about 12 different goalies and still can't find one dubs had I think 5 in 25 years ,, all top teams have top class keeper who comfortab with ball and can kick it out Galway have not got one and power is not much better he poor with ball in hand can't solo it either , I think Oran Burke who was under 20 godlie last year best prospect , not for this year but after that ,,
Not enough pace at all I'n our team all the players are as fit as any county but no pace there is a difference, , Sean Andy , Maher Leonard Daly not near good enough for county Burke' should be tried centre forward not near good enough in full forward line and if he not doing it there sub need at least 6 changes v Dubs

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 452 - 19/10/2020 16:53:40    2299265

Link

I think Mayo might have beaten Galway once maybe twice at underage level (minor and U-20) in the past 5 or 6 years. It's almost been total domination by Galway. Many of those young Mayo players who looked good yesterday have generally lost to Galway all the way up through underage. Now in fairness Galway do seem to have plenty talent coming through and those Mayo youngsters are coming into a more winning senior setup with veteran players who are used to playing in All-Ireland finals. So it's probably an easier set up to look good in.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1786 - 19/10/2020 16:56:55    2299269

Link

It was probably Ian Burkes best performance for Galway since his debut against Kerry.

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 273 - 19/10/2020 16:59:41    2299271

Link

I don't know about the rest of ye but I'm really missing that thumbs down option

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 435 - 19/10/2020 17:02:52    2299272

Link

Replying To FallenStar:  "No one in Tyrone lost the plot because it was a game where they had two players sent off. Sure, doubts could have been raised but they have an established management team in place that saw them win their next game against Dublin. (for those in despair about next weeks fixture, there is still hope!)

I think if anyone lost the plot, it was the Galway support. On the back of nice expansive attacking football, expectations have been raised significantly. However, the Tyrone result aside, the margin of victory in our League games this year has been no more than two points. We were grinding out results of a similar nature two years previous when we reached a League final. And only a 2nd half collapse against Tyrone in the last game prevented us reaching another final. Winning games in the league is not beyond us.

The buzz and hype around this team back in Jan/Feb was very very high. Yes, I understand the key differences in approach & aesthetics between Walsh and Joyce are almost night and day. I can see why people are more excited about the football we are playing. The results however, were not all that different. Joyce spoke about putting us back on the map when he took the job but we were in a All-Ireland semi-final two years ago. We are on the map. The question is can he take us further?

Not for the first time on this forum, I was in the minority of supporters who felt this was a brilliant appointment. My doubts mainly centered on experience. He has only had one Inter-County role to date prior to this job and that was with the U-20's this year. It is very hard to read into that campaign considering it was with a group of players who have won several Connacht Minor titles to date.

Does one result vindicate this opinion? Absolutely not. However, I'm struggling to see where things improve in the short term. Galway may have scored 17 points but 10 of those came in a second half where the result was beyond doubt. And if you look at our missing players, if you brought all of them back, does the half-time deficit suddenly disappear?

Mayo were on a different level to us yesterday. And it's timing, the Championship is around the corner and they are very much aiming to win it. That is the level Galway need to be at. You cannot expect the return of Shane Walsh and others to turn this around. We were missing several players last June in Limerick but we didn't lose by fifteen points in the end. Our preparation and our tactical approach have to be factored in somewhere! It is very obvious when players down tools but I don't think anyone involved yesterday really stood a chance.

I hope I'm wrong. Joyce and co. certainly didn't send Galway out to perform like that yesterday but a lot of work is needed if they avoid further embarassment."
It's basically damage control from here on in, avoid humiliating defeats against the dubs this Sunday and against mayo in the Connacht final is all we can hope for now. Over the years it's been proven that Galway do not respond well to defeats like this and usually get a lot worse before they get better.

Galway4ever (Galway) - Posts: 134 - 19/10/2020 17:03:41    2299274

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "I don't know about the rest of ye but I'm really missing that thumbs down option"
If I didn't get at least three thumbs down on my posts last year, I knew something was wrong!

FallenStar (Galway) - Posts: 296 - 19/10/2020 17:05:05    2299276

Link

Silke, Leonard and IB were pathetic.

MapleSyrup (Galway) - Posts: 80 - 19/10/2020 17:13:09    2299279

Link

The kick outs were a huge problem v Meath in March also so yesterday was no shock
I reckon we retained 20% of our kick outs in the second half v Meath
If they had doubts about it then yesterday was the best time to have it shown up
The backs are getting some roasting here, and some of that is justified but there were Mayo corner backs and wing back powering down the field unmarked
Indeed a lot of the Mayo points were kicked with nobody within an asses roar of the shooter, Mayo kicked 3-23 with only 4 wides
I also felt we were pulling out of 50:50 balls
And our tackling was woeful, not getting clean contact on the ball

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 239 - 19/10/2020 17:17:43    2299280

Link

Think Heaney has gotten away with some flak too, captain on the day and he was on his backside for 2 of the goals. Should not be playing at corner back.

fryingpan (Galway) - Posts: 37 - 19/10/2020 17:19:15    2299282

Link

Much sifting through the ashes in this disaster and many valid points highlighted. The greatest concern I would have is that at the water breaks particularly in the first half when we had some chance of rectifying matters many of the players weren't even looking at joyce not to mention listening when he was talking. Found this really worrying.
Am I over analysing it?

northbouind (Galway) - Posts: 255 - 19/10/2020 17:38:51    2299292

Link

Replying To MayoDan:  "We've had a few good underage teams the last few years. However there's no denying our terrible record against Galway between 2015 and last summer. 4 full years without a win at minor U20/1 and senior."
The recent record v Galway does speak for itself, no disputing the facts, however I'd argue Mayodan, that since the minors moved to U17 their relevance to future senior success has become more and more remote. It was already the case that a good U18 team might result in 3 or 4 seniors down the line, but U17 can see a lad ruled out for being 5'6" who'd have made the grade a year later as an U18 at 5'10". As U21 had been, U20 is now a better measure of genuine prospects. Look at Kerry's success at minor in recent years and how even getting this to translate into the U20/U21 grades has evaded them (so far anyway) and this in spite of them putting a lot of good people into their backroom teams. Mayo are getting enough out of underage without breaking any title records and Galway are certainly doing the same. The result in the game y/day was an outlier... the prospects of either side landing an AI this year or over the next few won't be altered by it. Mayo were tuned in and Galway weren't... it won't add a single score for either side if they meet again in a few week's time.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2193 - 19/10/2020 17:39:42    2299293

Link

Replying To Marooned:  "I think Mayo might have beaten Galway once maybe twice at underage level (minor and U-20) in the past 5 or 6 years. It's almost been total domination by Galway. Many of those young Mayo players who looked good yesterday have generally lost to Galway all the way up through underage. Now in fairness Galway do seem to have plenty talent coming through and those Mayo youngsters are coming into a more winning senior setup with veteran players who are used to playing in All-Ireland finals. So it's probably an easier set up to look good in."
Underage success does not guarantee senior success. Mayo u20s this year lost to ye on penalties and Galway are in an all Ireland final now. Underage is about development and priming these lads for the future...success at underage is great but not the b all.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 10336 - 19/10/2020 18:01:53    2299310

Link

Replying To MapleSyrup:  "Silke, Leonard and IB were pathetic."
Good to see your not focused on a particular club

square_ball (Galway) - Posts: 229 - 19/10/2020 18:07:41    2299314

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "The recent record v Galway does speak for itself, no disputing the facts, however I'd argue Mayodan, that since the minors moved to U17 their relevance to future senior success has become more and more remote. It was already the case that a good U18 team might result in 3 or 4 seniors down the line, but U17 can see a lad ruled out for being 5'6" who'd have made the grade a year later as an U18 at 5'10". As U21 had been, U20 is now a better measure of genuine prospects. Look at Kerry's success at minor in recent years and how even getting this to translate into the U20/U21 grades has evaded them (so far anyway) and this in spite of them putting a lot of good people into their backroom teams. Mayo are getting enough out of underage without breaking any title records and Galway are certainly doing the same. The result in the game y/day was an outlier... the prospects of either side landing an AI this year or over the next few won't be altered by it. Mayo were tuned in and Galway weren't... it won't add a single score for either side if they meet again in a few week's time."
While I might agree with a lot of what you say re under age, I don't agree with you that yesterday result won't matter when they meet again. Winning games brings out a confidence in players. If next week goes ahead I expect mayo to stay in division 1. Mayo always play better when a win is vital. How many times have we seen in the past number of years, Mayo in relegation and always avoid it. As for Galway
( and I genuinely hope I'm wrong) I would worry for them after yesterday's performance.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 562 - 19/10/2020 18:32:49    2299326

Link