Galway Forum

Galway Schools Football

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Sad day for st Jarlaths yday losin the 1st round... haven't won a competitive game all year must be the 1st time in the schools history

John789 (Galway) - Posts: 36 - 24/01/2020 12:01:09    2261912

Link

Replying To John789:  "Sad day for st Jarlaths yday losin the 1st round... haven't won a competitive game all year must be the 1st time in the schools history"
Schools football has really gone miles backwards in Galway. Got be with the day when Jarlath's, Mary's and Pat's well all good sides. That said it doesn't seem to affect the minor footballers Galway produce. They've reached the last 3 AI minor finals even with schools football declining.

Marooned (Galway) - Posts: 1787 - 24/01/2020 12:59:47    2261924

Link

Replying To Marooned:  "Schools football has really gone miles backwards in Galway. Got be with the day when Jarlath's, Mary's and Pat's well all good sides. That said it doesn't seem to affect the minor footballers Galway produce. They've reached the last 3 AI minor finals even with schools football declining."
Galway underage doing well but how have we only 1 a team in Connacht... galway used to be the strongest province in Connacht for schools football now it's one the weakest

John789 (Galway) - Posts: 36 - 24/01/2020 16:19:39    2261953

Link

Schools football has to be addressed at county level. It's pretty pathetic at the moment. Even with numbers and catchment changes for Jarlaths and Mary's over the years, the pick is there for quite a few Galway schools, just as much as St Geralds Castlebar, Rice College Westport, Colman's Claremorris, CBS Roscommon and St Attracta's Tubercurry etc. There are county players and ex players galore involved in teaching in county Galway, yet the standard is not up to scratch. What's going on? I thought Claregalway might be the new power in schools football but they're still not there. Is there any school developing a top class, potential Connacht or Hogan Cup winning team? If not, has the football board any strategy to nurture one in the next 3, 5 or more years?!!

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 299 - 24/01/2020 18:41:34    2261975

Link

Was at that Jarlath v Rice College game. Jarlaths should have scored two goals in the first half, hit them straight at the keeper. Just never got going in the 2nd half, turned into a physical battle in the 2nd half and Rice won it. Rice hadn't won a game all year either

MarkRule (Mayo) - Posts: 41 - 24/01/2020 19:02:28    2261980

Link

Replying To MarkRule:  "Was at that Jarlath v Rice College game. Jarlaths should have scored two goals in the first half, hit them straight at the keeper. Just never got going in the 2nd half, turned into a physical battle in the 2nd half and Rice won it. Rice hadn't won a game all year either"
Jarlaths football is gone down hill big time. That's at every grade. The most they have won in the last 8 years is the odd league title.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 572 - 24/01/2020 20:26:14    2261999

Link

A Hogan Cup medal has no currency anymore. It won't get you a job.There is no section on the CAO form to get you extra points. If you are good enough to play County Minor you stand a chance of a bursary from the Connacht Council if you then attend a third level college. Most parents would prefer their son to be in a Galway development squad than miss multiple school classes every day with Jarlaths. Interestingly since Kerry improved at College football their rate of senior All Ireland has gone down. There are not many with Hogan medals in Dublin. I saw on Sunday a number of Kilcoo lads that played had also played for the St Colmans team that beat St Jarlaths in Jarlaths last final. Since then Shane Walsh, Liam Silke , Damien Comer(who didn't make the team), Ian Burke, Adrian Varley and Martin Farragher have gone on to play for Galway. Farragher, Burke, Silke and Conor Cunningham have added a few All Ireland club medals to their collection with their club.

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 438 - 24/01/2020 20:43:06    2262000

Link

Replying To GDL:  "A Hogan Cup medal has no currency anymore. It won't get you a job.There is no section on the CAO form to get you extra points. If you are good enough to play County Minor you stand a chance of a bursary from the Connacht Council if you then attend a third level college. Most parents would prefer their son to be in a Galway development squad than miss multiple school classes every day with Jarlaths. Interestingly since Kerry improved at College football their rate of senior All Ireland has gone down. There are not many with Hogan medals in Dublin. I saw on Sunday a number of Kilcoo lads that played had also played for the St Colmans team that beat St Jarlaths in Jarlaths last final. Since then Shane Walsh, Liam Silke , Damien Comer(who didn't make the team), Ian Burke, Adrian Varley and Martin Farragher have gone on to play for Galway. Farragher, Burke, Silke and Conor Cunningham have added a few All Ireland club medals to their collection with their club."
Very good point

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 572 - 24/01/2020 21:22:29    2262010

Link

jarlaths was an old boarding school that was ruled by the Church with an iron fist. People don't believe in religion anymore, that faith and football "cradle" have nothing to do with Galway's future. It is sad in a way but that is reality.

maroondiesel (Mayo) - Posts: 1046 - 24/01/2020 21:46:36    2262017

Link

Being in an around schools football in Connacht for the last few years, the margins between winning and losing are very fine. Jarlaths Senior side from what I have seen of them this year are a well coached side but missing that bit of X factor in the forward line that you need to win a Connacht title. I would disagree with some points made above that the prestige of Hogan cup is gone. Most "A" schools were training 3 or 4 times over the Christmas holidays and the students themselves are immersed in the game and are proud to represent their school's flagship team.

From my experience, I think that Connacht GAA don't give schools football enough encouragement and coverage. When you compare what goes on here to the fanfare in Ulster and Munster over the A championship, it's chalk and cheese. Championship is played in county grounds, matches are often live streamed, there are official MOTM awards for each game, there are Provincial all star awards for the top performers in schools football etc. compare this to Connacht where games are played in Bekan, with no stands, no atmosphere, no MOTM awards apart from the final. The list goes on.

Add into this county u-20 managers pulling lads from school games even though officially, 2nd level students are ineligible until their school is knocked out of the championship, it makes it difficult to mould a quality school team when you can't train with your best players.

In Galway, Claregalway CC will be a force in senior A football in a year or two. They are a new school yet with this year their first with a cohort of 6th years. The bish in the city have a pick of players that would rival anywhere in Connacht, unfortunately they do not do transition year which puts them at a massive disadvantage at senior grade. It is only a matter of time before Jarlaths have a 15 capable of beating the best, unfortunately they just haven't been there the last few years.

galwaygael (Galway) - Posts: 60 - 25/01/2020 00:52:50    2262052

Link

Fact is Galway GAA took post primary schools for granted for years. In the past many of the teachers similarly to today were ex county stars who dedicated time during break time & after school to training teams, all for the love of it. The GAA took their work for granted & thought it would always be there. Many teachers got disillusioned by the lack of support over the years & opted out. Secondly the new crop of teachers (not all it has to be said) are a different breed, many ex players have no involvement or interest & lots of them are too busy managing club sides for big money or being TV or radio analysts or writing in papers, where there is lucre & maybe they are right, but it has come at a cost to schools football. No one in the GAA is doing it for the love of it anymore, it's all about what they can get out of it.
Lastly the biggest death knell has being that the GAA nationally & locally spent millions on centres of excellence & development squads that fed into the inter county set up & so let post primary schools football wither on the vine. The coaching support locally for post primary schools has been pathetic & GAA is now dying or dead in some schools. Ironically other codes have filled the gap & local schools once GAA strongholds are winning All Ireland's at athletics, basketball, rowing, soccer etc. which only highlights the GAA's failings locally.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 1053 - 25/01/2020 01:31:34    2262055

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "Fact is Galway GAA took post primary schools for granted for years. In the past many of the teachers similarly to today were ex county stars who dedicated time during break time & after school to training teams, all for the love of it. The GAA took their work for granted & thought it would always be there. Many teachers got disillusioned by the lack of support over the years & opted out. Secondly the new crop of teachers (not all it has to be said) are a different breed, many ex players have no involvement or interest & lots of them are too busy managing club sides for big money or being TV or radio analysts or writing in papers, where there is lucre & maybe they are right, but it has come at a cost to schools football. No one in the GAA is doing it for the love of it anymore, it's all about what they can get out of it.
Lastly the biggest death knell has being that the GAA nationally & locally spent millions on centres of excellence & development squads that fed into the inter county set up & so let post primary schools football wither on the vine. The coaching support locally for post primary schools has been pathetic & GAA is now dying or dead in some schools. Ironically other codes have filled the gap & local schools once GAA strongholds are winning All Ireland's at athletics, basketball, rowing, soccer etc. which only highlights the GAA's failings locally."
Ya do agree with a lot of what u say. The only thing is a ex County players doesn't always make a good coach. I know Jarlaths were doing very well a few years back as in they had a good structure in place and a few good outside coaches. What I liked about the structure is the coaches were starting to talk to the surrounding clubs to get to know the club structure and training days. Now we all know this is NEVER going to suit every club but what was been done is those coaches were starting at grassroots ie clubs which is very important. they hadn't got to the point of winning anything but it was plain to see the structure was there. A few of the teachers saw this and decided oh who needs outside coaches. If we are honest Jarlaths have some quality uage clubs feeding into them ie cortoon, milltown, kilconly, Tuam, corofin Dunmore as well as parts of other clubs who are bordering been closer to Jarlaths or Headford. Or Claregalway. Listening to some parents talking at matches Jarlaths coaches (teachers) are telling a lot of those club players when they should train with club etc. What I'm saying is they are basically telling the lads Jarlaths training is twice a week and school training comes first. Whatever chance those lads have of winning something its definitely with club.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 572 - 25/01/2020 12:29:15    2262112

Link

Yet despite everything mentioned above, we are producing talented young footballers. The players from the last few minor panels are going to schools all over the county. Does it matter if the schools are competing for Hogan Cups as long as we're developing good players?

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 883 - 25/01/2020 15:43:25    2262176

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Ya do agree with a lot of what u say. The only thing is a ex County players doesn't always make a good coach. I know Jarlaths were doing very well a few years back as in they had a good structure in place and a few good outside coaches. What I liked about the structure is the coaches were starting to talk to the surrounding clubs to get to know the club structure and training days. Now we all know this is NEVER going to suit every club but what was been done is those coaches were starting at grassroots ie clubs which is very important. they hadn't got to the point of winning anything but it was plain to see the structure was there. A few of the teachers saw this and decided oh who needs outside coaches. If we are honest Jarlaths have some quality uage clubs feeding into them ie cortoon, milltown, kilconly, Tuam, corofin Dunmore as well as parts of other clubs who are bordering been closer to Jarlaths or Headford. Or Claregalway. Listening to some parents talking at matches Jarlaths coaches (teachers) are telling a lot of those club players when they should train with club etc. What I'm saying is they are basically telling the lads Jarlaths training is twice a week and school training comes first. Whatever chance those lads have of winning something its definitely with club."
I would actually disagree with a lot of what you said there. In my experience it is clubs who are telling players not to play for their school. In reality both are mutually beneficial to each other. The GAA have a duty to get club minor and u-16 leagues and championships wrapped up in the months March to October, in that way schools can get their players together twice a week which in Nov Dec January and February which is what is required to mould a decent school team.

On one hand, people are complaining that Galway schools aren't competitive, and on the other that schools are unreasonable to expect their players to train twice a week. The standard of schools football is much closer to county level than club level.

On the issue of resources, I see the prenty bowl being built in ballyhaunis at a cost of 3 million, yet that would build a full size 3G pitch in each county for schools to use in winter. Madness

galwaygael (Galway) - Posts: 60 - 25/01/2020 15:45:05    2262178

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "Yet despite everything mentioned above, we are producing talented young footballers. The players from the last few minor panels are going to schools all over the county. Does it matter if the schools are competing for Hogan Cups as long as we're developing good players?"
There's a lot in what you say. Clubs are the root of u age development. From what I see the vast majority of those clubs north and west are doing a pretty good job of this development. The next step is County trials if picked. IMO some schools put a lot into school football. I would go as far as saying too much at times. There is no points in those lads gone off playing matches or challenge game during school hours and then come junior or leaving cert big panic... not enough time studying. After all school is the place to prepare for exams. Now I know pupils need some time away from books also but that's where club comes in.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 572 - 25/01/2020 15:58:47    2262179

Link

Replying To galwaygael:  "I would actually disagree with a lot of what you said there. In my experience it is clubs who are telling players not to play for their school. In reality both are mutually beneficial to each other. The GAA have a duty to get club minor and u-16 leagues and championships wrapped up in the months March to October, in that way schools can get their players together twice a week which in Nov Dec January and February which is what is required to mould a decent school team.

On one hand, people are complaining that Galway schools aren't competitive, and on the other that schools are unreasonable to expect their players to train twice a week. The standard of schools football is much closer to county level than club level.

On the issue of resources, I see the prenty bowl being built in ballyhaunis at a cost of 3 million, yet that would build a full size 3G pitch in each county for schools to use in winter. Madness"
Well I'm certain that the school in Tuam I'm talking about has told lads school football comes first. I would disagree with most of what u say. I know from talking to my nephews the above is true. Anyway what's the point in club trainers showing the brand of football they want played and the schools contradict this and get them playing a different brand. School should be first and foremost a place to study. I have herd of Jarlaths trainers going to club matches and telling the club trainers... oh ur playing such and such a player in wrong position. The one thing I do agree with u about is the prentybowl.. absolutely ridiculous

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 572 - 25/01/2020 16:49:08    2262194

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Well I'm certain that the school in Tuam I'm talking about has told lads school football comes first. I would disagree with most of what u say. I know from talking to my nephews the above is true. Anyway what's the point in club trainers showing the brand of football they want played and the schools contradict this and get them playing a different brand. School should be first and foremost a place to study. I have herd of Jarlaths trainers going to club matches and telling the club trainers... oh ur playing such and such a player in wrong position. The one thing I do agree with u about is the prentybowl.. absolutely ridiculous"
Just herd Jarlaths junior bet again in first round of championship.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 572 - 06/02/2020 16:22:03    2265714

Link

Replying To Toman:  "Just herd Jarlaths junior bet again in first round of championship."
They won the league - beating Claregalway College by a point recently.
The Bish beat Jarlaths in c'ship by one point also this week in quarter final.
Bish play Claregalway in semi final now.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 789 - 06/02/2020 16:30:08    2265716

Link

Interesting to note the rise on Claregalway school
And the Bish in Junior a too
Is Junior u15 oor 16

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1218 - 06/02/2020 17:08:53    2265726

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "Interesting to note the rise on Claregalway school
And the Bish in Junior a too
Is Junior u15 oor 16"
U16.5 I think

Donaldtrump (Galway) - Posts: 141 - 06/02/2020 18:42:33    2265750