Galway Forum

Galway Football 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

How big of a following are Galway expected to bring to Hyde Park on Saturday? PJs U20s brought out a big crowd to Kiltoom last year the biggest following I recall for a Galway underage team against us. He talks a good fight that clearly sparks the interests in supporters. I agree with his view on penalties BTW.

ispeakwisdom (Roscommon) - Posts: 2384 - 16/01/2020 15:09:21    2260225

Link

Replying To TheBishop:  "What do people think of Mikey Boyle? I haven't seen much of him but Joyce must think he has it in him given he's got another start.

Looking forward to see all the NUIG lads play. MulKerrin was an exceptional minor but didn't look to exceptional against Dublin in last years u20's."
I think Mulkerins has a lot of filling out to do, hopefully managed well and he dosnt lose any pace with it. Hes young though so I'd give him time. Not many 21yo numbers 3 around Intercounty football

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 626 - 16/01/2020 15:24:41    2260232

Link

Replying To TheBishop:  "What do people think of Mikey Boyle? I haven't seen much of him but Joyce must think he has it in him given he's got another start.

Looking forward to see all the NUIG lads play. MulKerrin was an exceptional minor but didn't look to exceptional against Dublin in last years u20's."
Mike Boyle a dangerous inside forward anytime I seen him play underage or with kilererin but I don't see him as a half forward as he is a finisher more than a worker but maybe I'm wrong

Ayeartilmonday (Galway) - Posts: 62 - 16/01/2020 18:55:57    2260288

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "I think Mulkerins has a lot of filling out to do, hopefully managed well and he dosnt lose any pace with it. Hes young though so I'd give him time. Not many 21yo numbers 3 around Intercounty football"
Senior IC level is very unforgiving, especially from an athletic perspective.

Therefore, I'd fear for Mulkerrin making it at IC level. Lord of the Dance maybe..

Really (Galway) - Posts: 380 - 17/01/2020 13:38:04    2260449

Link

Replying To Really:  "Senior IC level is very unforgiving, especially from an athletic perspective.

Therefore, I'd fear for Mulkerrin making it at IC level. Lord of the Dance maybe.."
"Lord of the dance" hahahahaha!!

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 236 - 17/01/2020 14:02:26    2260456

Link

Replying To Really:  "Senior IC level is very unforgiving, especially from an athletic perspective.

Therefore, I'd fear for Mulkerrin making it at IC level. Lord of the Dance maybe.."
He's 21. Will you give the lad a chance? He's been brilliant underage and will need time if he's to be a contender for 3 at senior.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 246 - 17/01/2020 21:49:12    2260536

Link

A great win, Shane Walsh was suberb , Conroy again very good and personally I thought Mulkerrins was very solid with a great score. Nobody near me knows why Brannigan saw red.
Two great performances in 6 days.

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 416 - 18/01/2020 15:43:37    2260601

Link

Up Galway! First title won under PJ and the lads. Well done all. To the detractors of Shane Walsh, let me tell you lads, he ran the show again. And he did it with Daly's and murray and co trying to rough him up again in the customary Rossie fashion. Some serious improvement to be done of course but for January, it's going in the right direction. Proud of them.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 246 - 18/01/2020 15:44:43    2260602

Link

Congrats to Shane Walsh, a massive man. Gaillimh Abu

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1356 - 18/01/2020 17:11:52    2260620

Link

Shannnney is a class act.... ran the show today... very impressed with John Daly at centre half back... looks so comfortable there... I'm worried about Mc Daid, that's his second sending off in two games!! I was beside Pj when got the black card, he was fuming with him... Varley and Shane are a fabulous duo... Imagine Ian Burke in that mix up!!? Today reminded me of the 2013 U21 final with the two lads... mulkerrin wasn't bad, did his job & got a tidy point... I've question marks over Brannigan very butter fingers... same to with Johnny Heaney... but delighted over all with that performance...

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 236 - 18/01/2020 17:35:17    2260624

Link

Brilliant stuff,young lads are stepping up and older lads have a bounce in there step. l know it's early days but heading in the right direction. Pearse stadium should be hopping next Sunday for PJ first home game.

nohandpass (Galway) - Posts: 31 - 18/01/2020 17:38:04    2260626

Link

Shane Walsh doing it in finals - when it counts. The biggest days. Those lads that were critical of him on here are quiet now.

Charlie (Kerry) - Posts: 493 - 18/01/2020 17:38:46    2260627

Link

Replying To GDL:  "A great win, Shane Walsh was suberb , Conroy again very good and personally I thought Mulkerrins was very solid with a great score. Nobody near me knows why Brannigan saw red.
Two great performances in 6 days."
for me those were the three stand out players as well as flynn in the first 40 mins and john daly who was solid throughout

mulkerrins played from the front well when he could and all inside line defenders will need to do that witht he pj system and no sweeper in place...with that in mind there must be room for an eoghan kerin and obviously a returning liam silke...
conroy dictated things around the middle and walsh did all the damage up top with a couple of impressive cameos from rob finnerty
i would worry abnout mcdaid and brannigan on the wings but with the corofin boys to return its hard to see them holding 5 and 7

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 599 - 18/01/2020 18:01:50    2260630

Link

Replying To Hupgalway:  "Shannnney is a class act.... ran the show today... very impressed with John Daly at centre half back... looks so comfortable there... I'm worried about Mc Daid, that's his second sending off in two games!! I was beside Pj when got the black card, he was fuming with him... Varley and Shane are a fabulous duo... Imagine Ian Burke in that mix up!!? Today reminded me of the 2013 U21 final with the two lads... mulkerrin wasn't bad, did his job & got a tidy point... I've question marks over Brannigan very butter fingers... same to with Johnny Heaney... but delighted over all with that performance..."
Yeah, Brannigan has a lot going for him but needs to hold his nerve and get more comfortable on the ball. He has the pace and is certainly a threat on his day. McDaid is going to be quality but his game management needs to get much cuter - daft to do that again and at a critical point in the match.
Just as we've no Corofin or Oughterard lads, remember they'd none of their 3 main scoring forwards.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 246 - 18/01/2020 18:03:13    2260631

Link

Replying To Charlie:  "Shane Walsh doing it in finals - when it counts. The biggest days. Those lads that were critical of him on here are quiet now."
Shane is class and I fully believe he can do it on the big days but today wasnt a big day we wont remember it in 2 weeks.

Great obviously for management and players to get off to a good start

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1177 - 18/01/2020 18:11:02    2260633

Link

Lots of positives with individual performances. Delighted to see Paul Conroy back and, I obliged its early days, but he is reborn.

Team wise there was great urgency on the ball bit even more so off the ball. That's what impressed me most.

Bigger tests to come and next Sunday will be very tough. Hopefully keep making progress

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1259 - 18/01/2020 18:44:42    2260638

Link

Pj certainly keeps scan on his toes!! If he had a gps tracker he definitely covered 5k today!!! Hahaha!! Funny I never once saw B.silke doing that under KW...

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 236 - 18/01/2020 20:02:24    2260659

Link

Replying To Hupgalway:  "Pj certainly keeps scan on his toes!! If he had a gps tracker he definitely covered 5k today!!! Hahaha!! Funny I never once saw B.silke doing that under KW..."
id have to disagree... i think he was struggling with runs in and the best for all is for an additional runner be added to the sideline eg dec meehan he would still run all day

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 599 - 18/01/2020 21:35:51    2260674

Link

Replying To squares_edge:  "id have to disagree... i think he was struggling with runs in and the best for all is for an additional runner be added to the sideline eg dec meehan he would still run all day"
We could start a form on this!!! Hahahaha!!

Hupgalway (Galway) - Posts: 236 - 18/01/2020 22:13:15    2260677

Link

Lovely stuff from the lads, and Shane Walsh looks like a man on a mission. Am I right, Mailman? Mailman?

I don't think PJ could have asked for a better start to his term, and I definitely approve of the brand of football he's brought.

Gaillimh Abú!

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2853 - 18/01/2020 22:57:03    2260685

Link