Galway Forum

Sligo V Galway

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Any word on Molloy lads?

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 20/05/2019 13:44:52    2185909

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "I have been saying for months that Martin Farragher should be on the team and a lot of posters here came out with the usual "there's a big difference between club and county" nonsense. He scored more in 5 minutes than all the other forwards scored in 65 minutes which proves my point that this man has to start and he'd be the first forward on my team-sheet from here on in."
Take a deep breath tommy k.
Lets not throw all the toys out of the pram. Farragher did well when he came on, fair play to him, not an easy thing to do.
There is a big difference between club and county, if he were to start against Mayo/Rossie's and play poorly and is taken off, that doesn't suddenly make him a bad player nor does coming on against Sligo and getting 1-1 make him the first name on the team sheet the next day. Might suit him to come on as a sub.

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 218 - 20/05/2019 13:45:05    2185910

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "When else would they say it? Hardly when they've played intercounty. It's not dismissing. Actual question for you how can you argue that they have yet to prove it at intercounty when people are saying it when they have yet to play intercounty ?

General consensus on here about the corofin lads is massively positive and people are cautiously optimistic about their addition to the panel. saying farragher is the 1st forward on the team sheet is an over the top reaction. So he is now ahead of Shane Walsh and Ian burke after 6 mins against a div 4 team"
Just to clarify (before this gets too confusing!), all I am saying is give these players a chance to prove whether they are up to intercounty standard or not (and I mean a proper chance over a number of games) instead of people dismissing them as not being up to it without even giving them one chance. Its quiet simple and I will be the first one here to say I was wrong if they don't make the step up.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2337 - 20/05/2019 13:51:17    2185914

Link

The time to prove whether they are up to intercounty standard is the FBD League, challenges, and at a push the early rounds of the National League. Through no fault of their own due to the GAA being incapable of putting together a simple annual calendar some players due to club and college commitments haven't had a fair opportunity to show what they can do. KW is doing his best to analyse them in training which isn't ideal but we are where we are. The Championship is not the place for experimentation.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 315 - 20/05/2019 14:09:14    2185921

Link

Replying To EDH:  "A win is a win. Positives from today, Bradshaw at centreback was solid, delighted for Fintain O'Curraoin he was super and even kicked a score, the debate must now be over about Martin Farragher, he did more in six minites than the other contenders did in the all the games together this year to stake a claim in the full forward line with Comer and Burke. Silke was unbelievable and showed how much he was missed with his travels last year.

This team is taking shape
Power
Silke
Sean Andy
McDaid for me over Kerin too much pulling/fouling
Molloy if fit
Bradshaw
John Daly
Flynn
O'Curraoin
Walsh
Conroy if fit Daly if not
Daly or Heaney if Conroy not fit
Farragher
Comer if fit.
Burke"
This team is like something a child would pick. Mcdaid at corner back cos so and so from another club said hes good sometimes!!! When have you seen him play corner back?

petebainne79 (Galway) - Posts: 8 - 20/05/2019 14:38:56    2185930

Link

Galway badly need get there injured players back kyne , kelly Duggan. Cooke . Comer , Brannigan will definitely start final our full forward line poor no score yesterday with ever one available I would play Brannigan, Cooke , Heany half forward Walsh comer and Burke ( Just about ) last 2 games he being poor against 2 glorified club teams . Don't think Michael Daly good enough 2 start ,

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 429 - 20/05/2019 16:02:02    2185960

Link

Replying To petebainne79:  "This team is like something a child would pick. Mcdaid at corner back cos so and so from another club said hes good sometimes!!! When have you seen him play corner back?"
Good man Pete, thanks for the positive feedback, I bet you could find a problem for any solution!!! It is all about opinions and that is mine. You may have seen Silke romping forward from corner back yesterday and destroying his man. Mcdaid has the same abiliity. He is unbelievably quick, aggressive and strong in the tackle and an accurate shooter, he has everything an attacking corner back needs. He is also very disciplined, some older guys could learn a lot of him,but you know what? Kevin Walsh has the final say.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 348 - 20/05/2019 16:50:45    2185982

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "Galway badly need get there injured players back kyne , kelly Duggan. Cooke . Comer , Brannigan will definitely start final our full forward line poor no score yesterday with ever one available I would play Brannigan, Cooke , Heany half forward Walsh comer and Burke ( Just about ) last 2 games he being poor against 2 glorified club teams . Don't think Michael Daly good enough 2 start ,"
What makes you think Kyne, Kelly , Duggan , Brannigan and Cooke will definitely start?
Who are you dropping? I presume Kerins for Kyne? Where will Kelly go? You've named forwards and cant see him starting in front of Molloy ( if fit ) or John Daly who Kevin seems to like. No chance of him starting 6. Daly can play 6 but that's a very inexperienced line if it were them 3 lads. Would you start Duggan over Flynn who has been consistent or FOC who was one of our best players last day out!? Be very surprised if he drops Daly or O'Laoi at this stage unless Brannigan tears it up in training and for his club. Comer unlikely to play so Danny will probably start as well.

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 218 - 20/05/2019 17:13:55    2185992

Link

Replying To candlewax:  "What makes you think Kyne, Kelly , Duggan , Brannigan and Cooke will definitely start?
Who are you dropping? I presume Kerins for Kyne? Where will Kelly go? You've named forwards and cant see him starting in front of Molloy ( if fit ) or John Daly who Kevin seems to like. No chance of him starting 6. Daly can play 6 but that's a very inexperienced line if it were them 3 lads. Would you start Duggan over Flynn who has been consistent or FOC who was one of our best players last day out!? Be very surprised if he drops Daly or O'Laoi at this stage unless Brannigan tears it up in training and for his club. Comer unlikely to play so Danny will probably start as well."
Probably need one big lad for one small lad up front at the very least. Ideally that would be Comer, but if it's Cooke or tommy k's Farragher, then a smaller player like Cummins or O'Laoi could miss out. Duggan for FOC would likely be a wise move for the Connacht Final also, unless FOC has 'taken it to a new level', since his return from injury, and can be relied on to deliver that level consistently.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2355 - 20/05/2019 17:48:19    2186007

Link

Sorry meant Brannigan will definitely start kyne won't Duggan won't but I woukd start Cooke centre forward comer full

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 429 - 20/05/2019 17:51:00    2186009

Link

O Laoi in my opinion won't start poor last 2 matches same with Danny I'm picking the forwards i would pick with everyone fit , there no way they can put out same full forward line as yesterday again no score from any of them I suppose it all hinges on who is fit ,, the same 2 will start in midfield both played well and I agree Flynn our most consistent player last year

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 429 - 20/05/2019 17:55:11    2186015

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "Galway badly need get there injured players back kyne , kelly Duggan. Cooke . Comer , Brannigan will definitely start final our full forward line poor no score yesterday with ever one available I would play Brannigan, Cooke , Heany half forward Walsh comer and Burke ( Just about ) last 2 games he being poor against 2 glorified club teams . Don't think Michael Daly good enough 2 start ,"
An in form Daly would be one of the 1st people I'd have on a team sheet. he has rarely been in form in the maroon Jersey (injury to blame more than anything) showed glimpses last year. If he somehow finds his form in the next 4 weeks he'll do serious damage if not I think he shouldnt start. Hes a confidence player starting him wouldn't help but people need to stop writing him off

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1177 - 20/05/2019 18:41:05    2186040

Link

Replying To Kickitout:  "Sorry meant Brannigan will definitely start kyne won't Duggan won't but I woukd start Cooke centre forward comer full"
Why would you start Cooke ahead of m Daly ? Cooke hasn't played in how many games ? Hasn't really played that well this year for Galway , he was very good for Nuig but colleges are different ! People question mike Daly starting all the time but there only looking at his scores etc , look at his link up play, quality ball into the inside forwards etc and you will see why Kevin Walsh likes !
Can only have either o Laoi or Cummins starting no both of them together , it doesn't work

galwayXI (Galway) - Posts: 83 - 20/05/2019 19:05:47    2186046

Link

Team that I would select against Mayo if everyone is fit and available.

1.Power
2.Kerin
3.O'Ceallaigh
4 Silke
5.Molloy
6.Bradshaw
7.Daly
8.Flynn
9.Duggan
10.Walsh
11 Daly
12.Heaney
13.Burke
14.Comer
15.Farragher

I do believe that KW will select O' Currain at MF due to Duggan and Cooke not having eough game time. I still think that he will keep faith with O'Laoi and Cummins but they need big performances against Mayo. I would Put Kelly in for Bradshaw but he is not fit so he is probably our best option. Hoepfully Molloy is fit would be a big boost for the Mayo game I know I have always selected Lavelle ahead of Power but heard he played very well so I think Walsh will pick him. Even if Comer, Farragher and Duggan don't start those are 3 great impact subs to bring on combine that with Brannigan, Kelly (if fit), Leonard, Cooke and Mcdaid that a great bench!

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 363 - 20/05/2019 19:13:50    2186049

Link

We have quite a few lads to come back but the reality is most of them will only be just back training by the time of the Connacht final.
It's highly unlikely they would be risked from the start. They aren't going to be up to speed fitness wise for that level of game.
Coming in off the bench is the best they can hope for in Connacht final imo.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 748 - 20/05/2019 19:15:44    2186051

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Probably need one big lad for one small lad up front at the very least. Ideally that would be Comer, but if it's Cooke or tommy k's Farragher, then a smaller player like Cummins or O'Laoi could miss out. Duggan for FOC would likely be a wise move for the Connacht Final also, unless FOC has 'taken it to a new level', since his return from injury, and can be relied on to deliver that level consistently."
He's been playing unbelievably well in training over the past few weeks, where him and Flynn have been marking each other. Duggan is nowhere near the level that Fiontain will bring if he stays injury free.

PopeFrancis19 (Galway) - Posts: 45 - 20/05/2019 20:20:56    2186070

Link

Replying To PopeFrancis19:  "He's been playing unbelievably well in training over the past few weeks, where him and Flynn have been marking each other. Duggan is nowhere near the level that Fiontain will bring if he stays injury free."
Duggan was motm in the Mayo match last season iirc. In contrast, FOC has never delivered such a major display in a major match at senior intercounty level. Was a superb u21 midfielder alongside Flynn in both 2011 & 2013. Never made the step up to senior imo, but I'm looking forward to seeing him make that step up this season.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2355 - 20/05/2019 20:49:12    2186084

Link

Replying To Maroonforever:  "Team that I would select against Mayo if everyone is fit and available.

1.Power
2.Kerin
3.O'Ceallaigh
4 Silke
5.Molloy
6.Bradshaw
7.Daly
8.Flynn
9.Duggan
10.Walsh
11 Daly
12.Heaney
13.Burke
14.Comer
15.Farragher

I do believe that KW will select O' Currain at MF due to Duggan and Cooke not having eough game time. I still think that he will keep faith with O'Laoi and Cummins but they need big performances against Mayo. I would Put Kelly in for Bradshaw but he is not fit so he is probably our best option. Hoepfully Molloy is fit would be a big boost for the Mayo game I know I have always selected Lavelle ahead of Power but heard he played very well so I think Walsh will pick him. Even if Comer, Farragher and Duggan don't start those are 3 great impact subs to bring on combine that with Brannigan, Kelly (if fit), Leonard, Cooke and Mcdaid that a great bench!"
You do know the 2nd semi final has yet to be decided. Many people could be very surprised come Sat night. I will be surprised if at least it is not close. This Rossie team has more bite to them than recent years.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1693 - 20/05/2019 21:11:50    2186091

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "You do know the 2nd semi final has yet to be decided. Many people could be very surprised come Sat night. I will be surprised if at least it is not close. This Rossie team has more bite to them than recent years."
Yes but going on form you would have to pick the league champions over the team that was relegated, however the last few weekends have shown us not to judge league form.

It will be close encounter, not much between Galway , Mayo and Roscommon all are capable of winning out the provincial championship this year.

Galway2019 (Galway) - Posts: 55 - 20/05/2019 22:58:25    2186122

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "But there is a big difference between club and county. It's a fact. He came in and let it be known hes after that starting Jersey. I was delighted for him. if he has the same form in training then he will start v mayo. If he doesn't start it will be because other lads are playing better than him in training

Stop getting offended when people say theres a big difference between club and county . Or they are unproven at intercounty level. These arent attacks on any player . They are just facts. Most people want them to do well. Six minutes against sligo and you think he should be the first forward on the team sheet from here on out?"
I think you are missing Tommy K's point a little. All he is saying is how is he supposed to prove himself at inter county level when he wasnt given the opportunity in the last 5 years. Its a fair point.

He was given 6 minutes of action yesterday and he scored a goal and a point. Imo if he was on from the start he'd have kicked a few more points. One can argue about the quality of the opposition but he produced in 6 minutes what the other 6 forwards failed to do in the game up to that point.

From reading your post you seem to be a fan of farragher but Its obvious from some other people on here that their noses are out of joint again and were privately hoping he wouldn't make an impact.

Farragher proved yesterday what alot of people have being saying for years ie give him a chance and he'll do the rest.

He is easily one of the top 6 forwards in Galway and I think that's all Tommy K and many others like him have been saying for 5 years now. Martin Farragher is a top class footballer. When he gets on the ball, he'll score or create chances for others. He has done it at club and he'll do it at county if he gets more game time.

You talk about producing it in training. That's fine but the real test is producing the goods on match day. Cummins, O laoi and Heaney are all good players but for me they have been very quiet for the last 2 games. They have made little impact.

Maybe they'll produce it the next day but the dilemma there is if they don't play well again then we probably won't win the CF. That for me is a risk not worth taking. Farragher has put his hand up as you say and he should start ahead of any of them.

KW was never a big fan of training as a player himself but John O Mahony knew that he'd produce on match day when it counted. Some players shine in training others save themselves for match day and produce when it counts. That's the real test.

Farragher if given a start in the connacht final will keep the score board ticking over. That's what top class forwards do and that's how you win football matches. I have no doubt KW will give farragher more game time and that he'll finally prove to some of the non believers in him that he is worthy of a place in our starting front 6.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 226 - 20/05/2019 23:14:03    2186126

Link