Galway Forum

Galway Vs Kildare

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Bring back Ronan steede a good lad I know the difference between the club and county is massive.I still believe he could do a job for us.

bud14 (Galway) - Posts: 296 - 18/07/2018 12:54:28    2123471

Link

Replying To Mfs:  "If Galway are winning well towards the end of the game next Sunday Sean Andy should try and get a black card, he would miss the meaningless round 3 game and wipe the slate clean."
Even if we win we are potentially still not through. If Kerry also win then the last round of games could be very important. Lose to Monaghan, Kerry beat Kildare then all are on 4 points and scoring difference becomes important .....then we might be cursing Cliffords late goal!

We can't worry now about permutations. We just need to take each game on its merits.

In any event I think we could justifiable appeal the black card Sean Andy got against Kerry. From memory he did nothing. I anyone did anything it was Kyne and Sean Andy got sent off for having red hair!

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1301 - 18/07/2018 13:01:18    2123474

Link

Replying To bud14:  "Bring back Ronan steede a good lad I know the difference between the club and county is massive.I still believe he could do a job for us."
I'd love to see him in also but well documented why he isn't and there would be a danger of losing respect by bringing him in at this stage.
Doesn't matter but I gather he injured a hand/finger v Cortoon and has had a minor operation so wouldn't be fit enough anyway.

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 377 - 18/07/2018 13:53:14    2123497

Link

Might be a bit bizarre to suggest but if we're winning with a bit to spare the next day then Sean Andy should probably intentionally get a black card. He'd be suspended for the last group game (slight dead rubber if Monaghan beat Kerry) and would be on a clean slate for the semi-final.

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 236 - 18/07/2018 15:39:23    2123525

Link

Replying To fairplay4ever:  "I'd love to see him in also but well documented why he isn't and there would be a danger of losing respect by bringing him in at this stage.
Doesn't matter but I gather he injured a hand/finger v Cortoon and has had a minor operation so wouldn't be fit enough anyway."
Any chance Daithi Burke could be drafted in as a dual player? Probably not but he could do a job for the footballers at midfield like he does for the hurlers at fullback. Also the Farragher brothers would be a useful duo to have on the panel at least.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2407 - 18/07/2018 16:17:55    2123535

Link

you guys looking to draft people in from no where are mad....there is an extended panel that train- cein darcy, fintan, evan wynne, rob finnerty p. cunninham and if anyone is to be brought in it will be one of them not club players likely and deservedly on a break the last month

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 602 - 18/07/2018 18:28:06    2123575

Link

Replying To Townee2018:  "Might be a bit bizarre to suggest but if we're winning with a bit to spare the next day then Sean Andy should probably intentionally get a black card. He'd be suspended for the last group game (slight dead rubber if Monaghan beat Kerry) and would be on a clean slate for the semi-final."
Your right its a bizarre suggestion. Firstly we wont know the result of the monaghan Kerry (4pm start) game until our game is over (2pm start). Our monaghan game has huge implications. If we win & monaghan win this weekend, it will decide who plays Dublin in a semi. if we win this weekend & Kerry win this weekend, next weekend monaghan beat us & Kerry beat killdare ( three teams on 4 points), we could be out if we've a worse score difference! if we lose this weekend, this could be a free for all with all teams on two points after this weekend.... if lads want to avoid black cards they should a. shoulder him in the chest or b. grab a hold of him and keep him upright on his feet which is a yellow card. it's only if you pull to the ground its a black!

hailrainorsnow (Galway) - Posts: 57 - 19/07/2018 09:11:04    2123677

Link

Replying To squares_edge:  "you guys looking to draft people in from no where are mad....there is an extended panel that train- cein darcy, fintan, evan wynne, rob finnerty p. cunninham and if anyone is to be brought in it will be one of them not club players likely and deservedly on a break the last month"
Ha ha totally agree, thought some people were going to suggest calling in all of the hurlers for back-up there.

Burke in Midfield alongside Flynn, Hanbury in a corner back in place of Kerin and sure JC himself in instead of Comer.

As stated previously - The footballers have an extended training panel and for once have cover in most areas (maybe a bit light in defensive cover). I can see Cooke coming in alongside Flynn and maybe Varley getting a start at the weekend as well but not sure in place of who....

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 631 - 19/07/2018 09:13:36    2123678

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Any chance Daithi Burke could be drafted in as a dual player? Probably not but he could do a job for the footballers at midfield like he does for the hurlers at fullback. Also the Farragher brothers would be a useful duo to have on the panel at least."
Are you seriously saying we should be drafting in players at this stage who didn't make themselves available earlier in the season? Coz obviously we are in complete crisis and the squad is in meltdown and we need to try something......................

Don't get me wrong, the players u mention are fine footballers but they didn't make themselves available.

I have no issue with someone being brought into the squad who maybe was cut or not picked earlier due to good/bad form. But again only in exceptional circumstances. But I certainly would be against players who ruled themselves out now coming back......and I'd bet money those players would not do it either out of respect for the others.

Could you imagine what it would do to morale if these guys were parachuted in.

Tommy why don't u bring in David Finnegan for Sean Andy while ur at it......

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1301 - 19/07/2018 09:28:20    2123684

Link

Is this game on Sky or RTE lads?

TribalThing (Galway) - Posts: 74 - 19/07/2018 09:55:01    2123693

Link

Replying To TribalThing:  "Is this game on Sky or RTE lads?"
Saturday is SKY
Sunday is RTÉ

Wests_Awake (Galway) - Posts: 877 - 19/07/2018 10:59:16    2123706

Link

I would imagine this kildare team will be out on their feet in the second half as they have played a lot of matches recently and everyone like it was a final derry mayo fermanagh monaghan Galway should be fresher, 1/2 looks a good price to me.

Galway9 (Galway) - Posts: 59 - 19/07/2018 13:05:16    2123745

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "Are you seriously saying we should be drafting in players at this stage who didn't make themselves available earlier in the season? Coz obviously we are in complete crisis and the squad is in meltdown and we need to try something......................

Don't get me wrong, the players u mention are fine footballers but they didn't make themselves available.

I have no issue with someone being brought into the squad who maybe was cut or not picked earlier due to good/bad form. But again only in exceptional circumstances. But I certainly would be against players who ruled themselves out now coming back......and I'd bet money those players would not do it either out of respect for the others.

Could you imagine what it would do to morale if these guys were parachuted in.

Tommy why don't u bring in David Finnegan for Sean Andy while ur at it......"
Sean Andy is doing a fine job at fullback overall but he only came. I had suggested David Finnegan many years ago when the fullback position was a troublesome spot. Galway are 2 midfielders down who could potentially be first choice i.e. Conroy and Duggan so it is logical to suggest alternatives. Flynn (who is running into a bit of form in the last couple of games) and Cooke probably will start against Kildare but who are the back-ups - Darcy, O'Curraoin? Darcy (who I think is a very good player) only came on in the last few minutes of 1 league game and O'Curraoin has been out of competitive football for the last couple of years due to injury etc. so it is not unreasonable to suggest other alternatives albeit I was a bit tongue in cheek re the Daithi Burke suggestion if you couldn't tell that by the wording used!

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2407 - 19/07/2018 14:09:43    2123768

Link

Meant to say above that Sean Andy only came onto the panel this year.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2407 - 19/07/2018 14:14:30    2123771

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Sean Andy is doing a fine job at fullback overall but he only came. I had suggested David Finnegan many years ago when the fullback position was a troublesome spot. Galway are 2 midfielders down who could potentially be first choice i.e. Conroy and Duggan so it is logical to suggest alternatives. Flynn (who is running into a bit of form in the last couple of games) and Cooke probably will start against Kildare but who are the back-ups - Darcy, O'Curraoin? Darcy (who I think is a very good player) only came on in the last few minutes of 1 league game and O'Curraoin has been out of competitive football for the last couple of years due to injury etc. so it is not unreasonable to suggest other alternatives albeit I was a bit tongue in cheek re the Daithi Burke suggestion if you couldn't tell that by the wording used!"
Tommy, we have plenty of options for midfield: Heaney is a similar type player to Diarmuid O'Connor and look at the job he did against Kildare; Darcy another strong, physical player and, of course Daly another option. We are in a good place...

Really (Galway) - Posts: 393 - 19/07/2018 14:27:44    2123779

Link

Replying To Really:  "Tommy, we have plenty of options for midfield: Heaney is a similar type player to Diarmuid O'Connor and look at the job he did against Kildare; Darcy another strong, physical player and, of course Daly another option. We are in a good place..."
only position a little light is full back line but like that we have the two wynnes as cover there
not many counties could cope with the loss of two midfielders so its a very healthy position...
tear in to kildare and play a high pace....they will come out firing but like an earlier poster said likely tire in the last third

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 602 - 19/07/2018 14:43:31    2123783

Link

Expecting Galway to be cute enough and fit enough to deal with kildare. Conroy is a loss for leadership in big games.
Preferred team
1. Lavelle
2. Kyne
3. SA
4. Kerin
5. Sweeney
6. Bradshaw
7. Heaney
8. Cooke
9. Flynn
10. Kelly
11. Varley
12. Brannigan
13. Burke
14. Comer
15. Walsh

Believe Varley has earned his place more so than Daly so deserves the start. Not been overly impressed with Brannigan the last few games hopefully he has a big game in him Sunday. Can't wait for this one expecting a real championship atmosphere. Gaillimh Abu

tribesman125 (Galway) - Posts: 139 - 19/07/2018 15:16:54    2123789

Link

Replying To tribesman125:  "Expecting Galway to be cute enough and fit enough to deal with kildare. Conroy is a loss for leadership in big games.
Preferred team
1. Lavelle
2. Kyne
3. SA
4. Kerin
5. Sweeney
6. Bradshaw
7. Heaney
8. Cooke
9. Flynn
10. Kelly
11. Varley
12. Brannigan
13. Burke
14. Comer
15. Walsh

Believe Varley has earned his place more so than Daly so deserves the start. Not been overly impressed with Brannigan the last few games hopefully he has a big game in him Sunday. Can't wait for this one expecting a real championship atmosphere. Gaillimh Abu"
Agree with you re Brannigan. He has shot a good few wides in the last few games which is not helping his confidence as he is a confidence type player. I think he will improve re his score-taking possibly starting against Kildare this weekend and he has a lot of pace which helps especially in counter attacking like for the Galway goal the last day.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2407 - 19/07/2018 15:31:21    2123792

Link

Replying To tribesman125:  "Expecting Galway to be cute enough and fit enough to deal with kildare. Conroy is a loss for leadership in big games.
Preferred team
1. Lavelle
2. Kyne
3. SA
4. Kerin
5. Sweeney
6. Bradshaw
7. Heaney
8. Cooke
9. Flynn
10. Kelly
11. Varley
12. Brannigan
13. Burke
14. Comer
15. Walsh

Believe Varley has earned his place more so than Daly so deserves the start. Not been overly impressed with Brannigan the last few games hopefully he has a big game in him Sunday. Can't wait for this one expecting a real championship atmosphere. Gaillimh Abu"
Agree with you team but one one slight change ! Varley cant start at 11 hes not creative enough .. maybe swap walsh and brannigan and have varley in corner forward .. daly suits centre forward more than varley or anyone and has the potential to be great just give him game time ! Its not all about scoring , its about link up play , making runs etc !

galwayXI (Galway) - Posts: 85 - 19/07/2018 15:45:46    2123799

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Agree with you re Brannigan. He has shot a good few wides in the last few games which is not helping his confidence as he is a confidence type player. I think he will improve re his score-taking possibly starting against Kildare this weekend and he has a lot of pace which helps especially in counter attacking like for the Galway goal the last day."
Absolutley agree with you on brannigan which is why despite saying I haven't been impressed with him I still have him in my 15. He is a very explosive player which helps our system massively on the counter attack. However I think when you get to the business end of the championship your wing forwards need to be able kick scores and we shouldn't be second guessing when he's lining up for a shot. I hope he has a good game Sunday because I do have time for him.

tribesman125 (Galway) - Posts: 139 - 19/07/2018 18:28:55    2123835

Link