Fermanagh Forum

Fermanagh County Senior Football Management

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

SkeaLad id advise you to go away back and bask in your intermediate football and get carried away with that too. But you are right on one thing, I dont read the local papers, I just look at the pictures

But I have played manys a division game in the county and anytime we have played Ederney McGrath has not been togged out never mind actually play. And if you say hes played alot this year for them then why has not not featured throughout the whole year for the county then???

Well I dont play county football but I am very good friends with 2 members of the current panel and I know a number of other members of it, Ive also had family involved recently so I know a bit of what goes on, what qualifies you to know so much of the ins and outs of county football? You must be on the panel yourself or something are ya?

bloodsub (Fermanagh) - Posts: 29 - 08/07/2012 12:44:57    1211858

Link

bloodsub a very poor response there as you are wrong again so let me remind you that Lisnaskea Emmetts are TOP of SENIOR DIVISION ONE not intermediate standard!

Senior Football League 1
Position Team Played Won Drawn Lost For Against Points
1 Lisnaskea 9 6 2 1 141 106 14
2 Ederney 8 3 4 1 107 98 10
3 Roslea 9 4 2 3 90 90 10
4 Derrygonnelly 8 4 1 3 106 87 9
5 Tempo 9 4 1 4 105 113 9
6 Belcoo 9 4 0 5 103 112 8
7 Erne Gaels 8 4 0 4 81 101 8
8 Devenish 9 2 3 4 109 104 7
9 Newtownbutler 8 3 1 4 91 104 7
10 Teemore 9 1 2 6 113 131 4

In speaking again about Marty McGrath, who has strong connections with Skea, he did come on during this year's NFL games and again he has apparently played almost every league for Ederney this season! So mate, get you facts correct first before coming on here slabbering about things you know little about and away back to yond high stool and dream on!

SkeaLad (Fermanagh) - Posts: 499 - 08/07/2012 13:44:02    1211885

Link

CANAVAN TO STAY AS FERMANAGH MANAGER

The Fermanagh Coounty Board were caight on the hop last week by Peter Canavan's doubt as to whether he would continue as Fermanagh manager. As a result, the Counuty Board has been under scrutiny during the week so a meeting was called last night to deal with the crisis.

I can confirm that during the past few days two members were talked to in an attempt to quell any bad press and issues regarding finance and support were discussed. An urgent meeting was called for Sunday night to resolve issues. This resulted in a combined effort to meet Canavan's demands.

After the crisis meeting the following statement was issued to blame the media rather than themselves and it reads...

"Senior officers of Fermanagh County Board met with Senior Team Manager Peter Canavan as part of the annual management review process.

"A very constructive meeting took place in which concern was expressed regarding misleading press interpretation of comments made by the team manager following Fermanagh's exit from the championship.

"Following this review, Fermanagh County Board are pleased to announce that Peter Canavan will be managing the Fermanagh Senior Football team next season. Fermanagh County Board would like to thank Peter and his backroom team and the players for their dedication to the County in 2012 and look forward to the 2013 season."

IrvinestownMkII (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1384 - 09/07/2012 10:03:39    1212396

Link

By the way this was Canavan's statement to the press last week...

"We said at the start that as far as I was concerned, we would review our position at the end of the year,'' Canavan remarked. "It might have been a three-year term but we said that we'd be looking at things at the end of the first year.

"We said that if we weren't happy, or things weren't moving in the right direction, then we wouldn't be staying for the sake of staying.

"That was the agreement at the start and that's the way it is now.''

IrvinestownMkII (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1384 - 09/07/2012 10:06:03    1212399

Link

Seems like a sticking plaster solution by the county board but will the issue go away? I don't think so.

He may have been a good schoolboy coach but is he a good intercounty manager? Well you all seen the evidence of that in the most recent two championship games so don't expect a sudden change.

I wouldn't recommend buying as season ticket for 2013.

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 09/07/2012 13:53:36    1212726

Link

Can I ask an honest question...where do the vast majority of posters on here expect our county side to be placed. Do they expect us to be playing on the third sunday of September and winning?
At the end of the day promotion from the bottom tier of football was the primary objective for this year and it was achieved. What do people expect us to be doing? Beating the third highest ranked team in the country? Come on folks lets get realistic here.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 09/07/2012 14:14:13    1212760

Link

It is a shame if the team remains divided and therefore weakened for another year. Many of the panel are not in the least bit happy or impressed with Canavan's methods. There is an air of arrogance to the management and some strange tactics employed.

Forget the mind games.

Pete, we all want it to work out but this isn't the Barclay's Premier League, the American NFL or even Tyrone GAA for that matter. Forget the sports guru DVDs and throw away your copy of Presence is the Only Thing. Realize you have the smallest pool of players in the country to work with, that many of them are babies and prima donnas and that, as such, isolating players won't work. Bring the team together (if "team" is even the right word to use) once and for all.

Shinkicker (USA) - Posts: 145 - 09/07/2012 15:11:48    1212876

Link

Shinkicker
"It is a shame if the team remains divided and therefore weakened for another year. Many of the panel are not in the least bit happy or impressed with Canavan's methods. There is an air of arrogance to the management and some strange tactics employed"

So is the fall out from last years disaster a main reason why some are not impressed with Canavan then???even if there are players who may not agree with methods used there is no doubt that he has brought a more professional approach tot eh county. the fact he spoke out last week about issues regarding county board
and finances was a prime example,3 days later the county board had acted on this issues,with others invovled this would not have happened so quickly!!

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 901 - 09/07/2012 16:25:19    1213035

Link

macca999 has summed it up! Canavan is to clever for the County Board and took them on the hop!

He is the best man to see Fermnanagh's fortunes changed into the future.

IrvinestownMkII (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1384 - 09/07/2012 17:31:07    1213124

Link

09/07/2012 16:25:19
macca999
County: Fermanagh

So is the fall out from last years disaster a main reason why some are not impressed with Canavan then???even if there are players who may not agree with methods used there is no doubt that he has brought a more professional approach tot eh county. the fact he spoke out last week about issues regarding county board and finances was a prime example,3 days later the county board had acted on this issues,with others invovled this would not have happened so quickly

There is simply no pleasing of people. When the county board act quickly they are ridiuled and when they are slow in acting they are ridiculed.

Personally, I believe the county board management may have moved too fast after being bounced into agreeing to continue th Canavan contract without due reflection or assessment. No county board should be held to ransom just because their team football manager or the press pile unnecssary pressure. The county board should have left the decision until late September or October like last year before making such crucial commitment in light of the unimpressive performance of both the team and management.

On a further note, can anyone tell me of any other county team manager that sits in terrace seating rather than being hands on like most managers on the pitch sideline? Is this good practice according to the experts? Also, can you tell me of any other team manager who would field a player who ignored training sessions prior to a key championship game? Can anyone tell me why a manager appointed to fix a players' rift in a team has not challenged by those in charge (the county board) as to why the split still exists at the end of the season? Finally, was there ever a bonding weekend for the county players and if not why?

ekn_teacher (Fermanagh) - Posts: 242 - 10/07/2012 18:41:54    1214095

Link

Indeed didn't they spent a small fortune on two wend in Carlton house before league and then again before championship and we all see the benefits of those wend don't we . So now I wonder how many wend etc will we need next year after the manager has put the gun to the co board head and left them in no position other than to give in to ridiculous demands. When dont the county board come clean and let the ordinary hard working members of the gaa know how much money has been wasted in the last year .

smiler (Fermanagh) - Posts: 84 - 10/07/2012 20:48:12    1214215

Link

macca999 is not happy with the fact that canavan is staying on but wants more and more just like oliver twist! if he isnt happy with the current co board members who then does he want? im not saying that im happy either with some of them but isnt better the devil you know that the one you dont? he knows its very hard to change the status-quo but who would he boot out?

Coa_gael (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1164 - 12/07/2012 14:19:04    1215787

Link

Can this man be taken seriouly?

"We were involved with the team for six months and we think there was serious progress made," Canavan told the Fermanagh Herald

If the past season has been serious progress then god help Fermanagh's future next season. Looks as if print will take anything as the truth.

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 13/07/2012 14:35:49    1216591

Link

I would consider promotion progress. Would you not Yesterdays man?

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 13/07/2012 16:35:10    1216739

Link

gotmilk read Canavan's statement as he says "serious progrees", how can he have the cheek to use the term "serious" in light of the team performances during the season?

Is this serious progress in Fermanagh's intercounty competitions this year:-

--->Getting out of the worst national football league division in the country (not exactly worth an Olympic Gold!);

--->Badly beaten in ther McKenna Cup final;

--->Knocked out in the 1st round of the Ulster championship after a terrible performance; and finally

--->the backdoor All Ireland qualifiers faired no better after been hammered by Cavan.

so gotmilk, that's why I consider Canavan's statement less that honest based on the real facts!

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 13/07/2012 17:32:55    1216784

Link

I would consider getting promotion progress on the previous year.
Getting knocked out of the first round of the ulster championship by the side who finished third in the country is to be expected. Getting the players who refused to play last year and those who did play on the one pitch is progress.

I have asked this a few times but in all honesty where do people think we should be in the championship?
Winning Sam?
Winning Ulster?

WE HAVE THE SMALLEST PICK OF PLAYERS IN THE COUNTRY!!!

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 13/07/2012 19:30:26    1216862

Link

gotmilk we know what you're saying is true but let's not get carried away as Peter Canavan has a hell of a lot of work to bring Fermanagh up to a reasonable standard but he is the right man for task however the only worry I would have is our co board they seem to dither and appear to be more concerned with their position than than the team, as was the case last year and I doubt if they can change their spots that easily given that they were forced to react showing that they are more reactive than proactive in their duty to the team and management and we as supporters haven't been given any info as to what money is spent to date on the Fermanagh team setup, so much the transparency they promised at the AGM!

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 960 - 14/07/2012 18:07:17    1217266

Link

What about macca999? any late word as to his whereabouts?

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 960 - 14/07/2012 18:08:16    1217270

Link

Looking at what is happening in cavan it's a good job we imploded against Cavan imagine if Kildare were in Brewster today

smiler (Fermanagh) - Posts: 84 - 15/07/2012 15:50:07    1217818

Link

He is having a well deserved rest after 'sitting on the fence' all season!!!!!

Coa_gael (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1164 - 15/07/2012 20:21:10    1218215

Link