Dublin Forum

Who should get the Dublin hurling job now?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Sean.66:  "Forget about Sheedy or the players ( married ones ) won't leave the house...!!!! McGrath ( Waterford ) will be the new manager...its allready a done deal...."
Fair play Sean. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Dubh_linn (Dublin) - Posts: 2169 - 14/10/2017 08:41:07    2055201

Link

Im not over convinced that Pat Gilroy is the answer. In fact but for a lucky break in 2011 you could argue in the cold light of day that he was on a par with pillar. If Bart Mc Enroe cannot come on board this time to assist with Gilroys team Talks then I don't think it can work this time round.

rossie72 (Roscommon) - Posts: 63 - 15/10/2017 18:17:45    2055388

Link

Happy enough with Gilroy, probably would have been happier if Kenny got the nod but Gilroy will bring a lot to the table. Organisation, team ethos, hard work, commitment - everything you would expect from an Inter-county manager but he is a good hurling man too as are/have been a lot of current/legendary Dub footballers. But the selectors/back room teams are critical here and I don't believe Gilroy will be getting down on bended knee to ask/beg anyone to play for county

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4436 - 17/10/2017 10:48:40    2055697

Link

Replying To arock:  "Happy enough with Gilroy, probably would have been happier if Kenny got the nod but Gilroy will bring a lot to the table. Organisation, team ethos, hard work, commitment - everything you would expect from an Inter-county manager but he is a good hurling man too as are/have been a lot of current/legendary Dub footballers. But the selectors/back room teams are critical here and I don't believe Gilroy will be getting down on bended knee to ask/beg anyone to play for county"
Agree don't think its in his DNA to beg a player , am hopeful he will have persuasive skills that will entice lads back , ultimately if lads continue to turn their back on the jersey as regrettable as it is we move and forget them

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 17/10/2017 15:29:49    2055779

Link

Ross o Carroll got the winning goal for crokes today against lucan but should ha not have been suspended? After getting a straight red last weekend in the football Semi final? Always thaught you were suspended for both.

Cracking game in the second semi final,
Vincent's were 3v0 up and should have had a goal to be six clear but by the tenth minuth found themselves 2-04 v 0-03 behind bizarrely as Cronin bagged a brave of goals for cuala.
was nip and tuck all the way with nothing in it until con o Callaghan struck for cualas 4th goal with 7 minutes left to put cuala 4 clear and they got couple of points in added time to make it six points win.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 22/10/2017 19:58:37    2057041

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "Ross o Carroll got the winning goal for crokes today against lucan but should ha not have been suspended? After getting a straight red last weekend in the football Semi final? Always thaught you were suspended for both.

Cracking game in the second semi final,
Vincent's were 3v0 up and should have had a goal to be six clear but by the tenth minuth found themselves 2-04 v 0-03 behind bizarrely as Cronin bagged a brave of goals for cuala.
was nip and tuck all the way with nothing in it until con o Callaghan struck for cualas 4th goal with 7 minutes left to put cuala 4 clear and they got couple of points in added time to make it six points win."
Brilliant 2nd game alright. Vincent's could have been 1-2 to no score up after a few minutes but missed the goal chance twice and scored the 65. Hetherton was a handful all day.

Cuala played some great stuff at times but I think they got a bit of luck along the way. Their first two goals could easily have been pulled back for over carrying I thought. Had those calls gone Vincent's way then who knows how the game would've gone. O'Callaghan is a real star though, he is such a loss.

The first game was poor in comparison and Crokes were blessed to win the game. A moment of madness from the Lucan management taken off Roche in goals with 5 minutes to go. The first thing the new goalie had to do was try and save a poor enough effort straight at him that he let squirm under his hurl. Felt bad for him as it is hard to come into a game as a goalie. In fairness it was the same old story for Lucan as they put ball after ball wide before the Crokes' goal. I felt they should have had Reilly in earlier as he sorted out the free taking once introduced.

Crokes haven't a hope of staying with Cuala imo.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13148 - 23/10/2017 08:26:13    2057116

Link

It's funny this year cuala are coming into the final playing free flowing stuff and high scoring and crokes haven't set the world alight on the pitch but have got the results. Last year cuala looked like they had gone backwards and only clicked on the last five minutes of the Dublin final to get over the line and then were a different team for the rest of the year.
has a bit of a Vincent's v boden football final a couple years ago going into that game Vincent's were free scoring and looked unstoppable even in the all ireland stages and boden scraped past clontarf in the semi final and weren't doing anything that made you think they could win tje final but on the day boden had the game won after 15 minutes.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 23/10/2017 14:33:59    2057246

Link

Three in a row for cuala.
just about done it in the end.
first half was terrible hurling and some clear red card offences went unpunished one that somehow only got a yellow after cualas goal a clear strike to the stomach of con o Callaghan had to be a red ridiculous refereeing at times throughout the game when you look at the football you see things that get punished that are border line yet in the hurling there clear red and don't get yellow even at times it don't make sense. Second half was much better game with Cronin and o Callaghan doing the damage for cuala, though there was only a point in it going into injury time.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 28/10/2017 17:53:50    2058808

Link

Also had to be said the attendance was very poor for a championship final, the smallest I have seen in a good few year's

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 28/10/2017 17:56:18    2058810

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "Three in a row for cuala.
first half was terrible hurling and some clear red card offences went unpunished one that somehow only got a yellow after cualas goal a clear strike to the stomach of con o Callaghan had to be a red ridiculous refereeing at times throughout the game when you look at the football you see things that get punished that are border line yet in the hurling there clear red and don't get yellow even at times it don't make sense. Second half was much better game with Cronin and o Callaghan doing the damage for cuala, though there was only a point in it going into injury time."
Boring game for me , never got going ,ref kept Crokes in the game plus he wouldn't let the game flow kept blowing his whistle. Terrible crowd couldn't believe such a small crowd ,Monday night will be jammed. Anyway Cuala won't care and well done to them well deserved champions and 3 in a row outstanding. For me Con is their best player by a mile , once he gets the ball in his hand something good happens every time.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 28/10/2017 21:01:35    2058842

Link

Attendance was indeed awful. I think a bit of neutral fatigue in this one as in it's the same 2 teams again that don't tend to produce great games.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13148 - 29/10/2017 10:16:23    2058919

Link

Possibility of Danny returning , fingers crossed , Gilroys trusted right hand man Whelan coming on board hopefully we are turning a corner

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 30/10/2017 18:11:42    2059144

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "Three in a row for cuala.
first half was terrible hurling and some clear red card offences went unpunished one that somehow only got a yellow after cualas goal a clear strike to the stomach of con o Callaghan had to be a red ridiculous refereeing at times throughout the game when you look at the football you see things that get punished that are border line yet in the hurling there clear red and don't get yellow even at times it don't make sense. Second half was much better game with Cronin and o Callaghan doing the damage for cuala, though there was only a point in it going into injury time."
I agree with you regarding the ref. I thought he was awful throughout and seemed to favour defences in nearly all cases. There were two stonewall red cards for Crokes players - the one you mentioned just after the goal and another in the 2nd half where Bill O'Carroll pushed his hurl into O'Callaghan's facemask. There was a third instance towards the end of the first half that also probably should have resulted in a red, though the players involved escape me.

It wasn't just the red cards or lack thereof, loads of blatant fouls went unpunished for both sides. Two clear examples were the penalty appeal just before Cuala's goal which looked a definite foul and going into injury time, a Crokes defender was coming out with the ball and clearly shouldered the Cuala forward in the chest as he barged out, though no free was given. There were many more examples and while no ref is going to call everything 100%, these were very obvious calls in real time without the benefit of tv replays. The game wasn't great anyway but the ref certainly didn't add to it in my opinion.

Kurt_Angle (Dublin) - Posts: 550 - 31/10/2017 11:03:57    2059244

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "Attendance was indeed awful. I think a bit of neutral fatigue in this one as in it's the same 2 teams again that don't tend to produce great games."
I suppose poorer attendances are down to a few things - the same old teams, as mentioned, so not too much neutral interest; the fact that Cuala were strong favourites (Crokes weren't terribly impressive in getting to the final); while Cuala had decent support last year throughout their campaign, Crokes don't tend to have a similar following; games between the two haven't tended to be great spectacles but, rather, attritional in nature; and, finally, dragging two teams located close enough together to the far side of the city on a Saturday afternoon.

The crowd was fairly disappointing but was it unexpected? Would O'Toole Park not have been a more sensible venue and might have boosted numbers?

Kurt_Angle (Dublin) - Posts: 550 - 31/10/2017 11:31:17    2059254

Link

Replying To Kurt_Angle:  "I agree with you regarding the ref. I thought he was awful throughout and seemed to favour defences in nearly all cases. There were two stonewall red cards for Crokes players - the one you mentioned just after the goal and another in the 2nd half where Bill O'Carroll pushed his hurl into O'Callaghan's facemask. There was a third instance towards the end of the first half that also probably should have resulted in a red, though the players involved escape me.

It wasn't just the red cards or lack thereof, loads of blatant fouls went unpunished for both sides. Two clear examples were the penalty appeal just before Cuala's goal which looked a definite foul and going into injury time, a Crokes defender was coming out with the ball and clearly shouldered the Cuala forward in the chest as he barged out, though no free was given. There were many more examples and while no ref is going to call everything 100%, these were very obvious calls in real time without the benefit of tv replays. The game wasn't great anyway but the ref certainly didn't add to it in my opinion."
exactly throughout the game i was amazed with how many times i found myself thinking am i missing something here but these are clear fouls or cards and nothing being done.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 31/10/2017 16:10:25    2059323

Link

Replying To Kurt_Angle:  "I suppose poorer attendances are down to a few things - the same old teams, as mentioned, so not too much neutral interest; the fact that Cuala were strong favourites (Crokes weren't terribly impressive in getting to the final); while Cuala had decent support last year throughout their campaign, Crokes don't tend to have a similar following; games between the two haven't tended to be great spectacles but, rather, attritional in nature; and, finally, dragging two teams located close enough together to the far side of the city on a Saturday afternoon.

The crowd was fairly disappointing but was it unexpected? Would O'Toole Park not have been a more sensible venue and might have boosted numbers?"
o toole park oh no way could you play a final there.
i think the place should be knocked to the ground as it is its an awful set up.
saturday afternoon i agree was probably the main reason there was a poor crowd,
as we all know the money bags in dalkey and stillorgan would be sipping lattes somewhere around grafton street and it would be beneath them to miss out on a spot of shopping on a saturday haha

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 31/10/2017 16:12:40    2059325

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "o toole park oh no way could you play a final there.
i think the place should be knocked to the ground as it is its an awful set up.
saturday afternoon i agree was probably the main reason there was a poor crowd,
as we all know the money bags in dalkey and stillorgan would be sipping lattes somewhere around grafton street and it would be beneath them to miss out on a spot of shopping on a saturday haha"
I agree that O'Toole Park isn't a great ground though I was thinking on the basis of location (relatively close to the two clubs) and capacity. With only about 3,000 in attendance, I'd say O'Toole park could cater for this (and the X amount more who would travel the shorter distance) and it was surely obvious to the DCB that there was little demand seeing as the stand was sold out for the footballers. However, it may be that the players from both clubs would prefer to play a final in PP, which is really the most important consideration.

Kurt_Angle (Dublin) - Posts: 550 - 01/11/2017 10:09:17    2059447

Link