Down Forum

National Hurling League 2014

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Did not make Swords. hear there was little support. Slow start but a good result in the end. Meath will be a tough match so home advantage could make the difference....as it did in the Ring replay last year. get out in your droves and support the team...they deserve it. Lots of young players having to take on important roles with all the injuries...and they are doing a good job. Show them you appreciate it. Good luck to all.... would be lovely to be unbeaten in the league.

Co.Down1 (Down) - Posts: 163 - 19/03/2014 19:16:28    1562206

Link

Didnt make it myself to last few matches due to work committments but will be in Ballycran this Sunday and hopefully make the final a few weeks later as well - this will be a tough encounter and we will need to have a huge support to help the players.

Tim_Burr (Down) - Posts: 460 - 20/03/2014 08:43:30    1562320

Link

Any team news? Is Paul Braniff definitely done with the county scene?

downhurlingman (Down) - Posts: 50 - 22/03/2014 20:27:32    1563561

Link

Braniff has retired, but it not official yet. Monan stated in the paper today that he's still hasn't given up on Braniff returning for the CRC this summer. Don't be surprised if Braniff plays some part in the league final. Great player, great man.

portavogielad (Down) - Posts: 444 - 22/03/2014 20:44:22    1563570

Link

Half time update from Rubane: Down 2-5 Meath 0-6

portavogielad (Down) - Posts: 444 - 23/03/2014 14:44:58    1563707

Link

Down win 2-8 0-11.

portavogielad (Down) - Posts: 444 - 23/03/2014 15:49:26    1563744

Link

Great performance so far in the league. Let's finish it of with a win in the final against Wicklow. I believe it will be a coin toss for home field advantage as both teams have had 3 home game thus far. Hoping for Ballycran.

saulgael (Down) - Posts: 544 - 23/03/2014 16:03:42    1563757

Link

VERY well done to players and management...unbeaten in the league...great achievement especially considering all the key players from last year who are injured or retired. Hopefully a home advantage against Wicklow. Bit slow to score at times but improved performance in second half....well done to all....and to the Ballycran club for excellent hosting. They put other places to shame...and their tea is the best in the country. tea, a scone and a chocolate biscuit for a £1. Two weeks ago those in Newry had to run to the garage for milk! Great result in the league and fair return for all the hard work players and management have put in. Gerard Monan is doing a great job. Good luck to all for the play off for promotion.

Co.Down1 (Down) - Posts: 163 - 23/03/2014 16:55:47    1563790

Link

Thought defenders played well but some of the forwards who played well all year, just wasnt their day. Thought ref was same for both teams even though Meath felt hard done by.. be tough in play off, but if they show same heart as today, they will win!

Cattleman6 (Down) - Posts: 96 - 23/03/2014 17:58:51    1563825

Link

Great result. Let's win the final next week against Wicklow. Very big task against a hot Wicklow team. Monan & Flynn will do their homework. Great job by Monan his back room team an the players especially with the player that are absent from last year. Fingers crossed for a home draw, McKenna Park is a very tough place for visiting teams.

downhurlingman (Down) - Posts: 50 - 23/03/2014 18:37:46    1563848

Link

Seems the final is SATURDAY 5th April but no decision yet on venue...according to GAA website. Think that means they toss for it...but it does not actually say that which it does for other fixtures in Division 1. Hopefully mc Kenna....but with a bigger turn out than today!!

Co.Down1 (Down) - Posts: 163 - 23/03/2014 20:47:59    1563918

Link

I thought that Down were never going to loose the game yesterday but boy o boy did the defence have to work hard. I thought from goal keeper to and including the mid-field played hard but the forwards were poor. 3 points from Down's 6 forwards is a very poor return for the opportunities which they had and the supply. I know Down have two notable injuries and a massive individual retirement but I can not accept that for an excuse when the players on the pitch had ample chances to score but couldn't dispatch the ball over the bar or they over played it, fumbled it or gifted it back to the opposition.In saying that there were a few very good moves which were good on the eye and resulted in scores but they were far and few between. In the second half Down's forwards had two maybe three very good goal chances to put Meath to bed but chances which were scorned and drastically missed.

All to play for next week and it would be a shame to loose the last league game and ultimately promotion through lack of scoring ability by the forwards.

swan song (None) - Posts: 434 - 24/03/2014 12:35:45    1564111

Link

Another poor performance from our forwards yesterday but the defense and midfield kept us in it again with Conway leading the way with a couple of goals hes having a superb league so far. I have to say as much as the tea and buns were lovely the pitch was appalling and that certainly had a bearing on the game as a spectacle, im not sure what the excuse is for the sparce crowd but there were more meath supporters around me than down fans. Not be long til the matches are back in Newry at this rate.
If the final is on saturday week i hope we get some decent support as these fellas have brought pride back to Down hurling and indeed Down gaa and deserve more that what they getting now

Tim_Burr (Down) - Posts: 460 - 24/03/2014 14:20:48    1564197

Link

Now tim why wood ya want ta go back to newry? wise up kid!!!!Maybe if it worney £9 ta get in it would help the crowd. £9 is a lot ta a lad who isney workin.

cahill (None) - Posts: 2566 - 24/03/2014 14:31:30    1564214

Link

Cahill is that the reason now? It used to be the boat and distance to Newry and now when two league matches are on the peninsula noone bothers their ass to go as its £9 in - unreal comment, not even the cost of a round of drinks and just about the cost of a pack of fags. Thanks god the big ball supporters in our county dont have the same mentality or we'd be in diffs as they are subsidising the hurling

Tim_Burr (Down) - Posts: 460 - 24/03/2014 15:04:44    1564241

Link

Páirc Tailteann for the 2B Final 3pm, April 5th. Neutral venue. I'm glad we don't have to go to Aughrim or Arklow.

portavogielad (Down) - Posts: 444 - 25/03/2014 15:03:30    1564830

Link

So, no toss for home venue for those below division 1!!!! Shows what the powers that be don't really care about the "minions". Still, better than having to go to Wicklow. hopefully there will be travelling support for Down as they have done exceptionally well to be unbeaten in the League, especially considering the retirements and injuries. I am sure that vocal support means a lot to the players so have a day out and support these players and managers who are bringing great credit to Down hurling and Down GAA in general. Their results are much more consistent than the big ball players...so show them you appreciate their efforts. Good luck to all involved.

Co.Down1 (Down) - Posts: 163 - 25/03/2014 21:04:32    1565046

Link

Co.Down1 why do we have to compare how the footballer are doing in relation to the hurlers? We can't compare the two - it like apples and oranges. Down hurlers are doing great and even overachieving considering our resources. There wasn't a great crowd on Sunday, but lets look on the bright side we did have a great crowd in Ballycran for the Meath CRC semi final replay last year and we had a solid turn out in Croke Park for Down's finest hurling performance in resent time in HQ. Remember there's only about 5,000 people living in Kircubbin, Portaferry and surrounding areas, realistically how many fans to we expect at a game?

portavogielad (Down) - Posts: 444 - 25/03/2014 21:21:37    1565062

Link

Good lad Tim sure you no that the ards is the heam of hurlin in down and thanks 4 yer sub and if ye ave n e oul cash lying about I'll ave it .

cahill (None) - Posts: 2566 - 25/03/2014 21:32:36    1565072

Link

Tim I have pull you on your comment " we'd be in diffs as they are subsidising the hurling" I find it condescending at the least. Ballygalget, Ballycran and Portaferry all pay their fees to play in disgracefully run hurling leagues which never seem to finish and incidental I am informed the fees are considerably much more than the Antrim league fees. And surprise surprise those leagues (Antrim) all seem to get completed. The three Ards clubs, again I am reliably informed, purchase quite a considerable amount of the "Down Draw" tickets. This money, gate money, sponcership and any grants procured from headquarters goes to the running of the Down GAA......yes the Down GAA which includes football and hurling, that might come as a surprise to you!

swan song (None) - Posts: 434 - 26/03/2014 08:34:02    1565097

Link