Down Forum

Div 3 senior football

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Dromara v Drumaness in a on off match on Sunday 15th Sept to decide 4th place. Justice for Drumaness one would think. However Drumaness beat Dromara in the league (1-7 to 0-8 in Dromara) so Dromara will not be at all happy. Will Dromara accept this decision? - as one poster said earlier rules are rules and you can't change or make up new ones half way through because of something that was not planned for. I can see Dromara refusing to play because they did nothing wrong.
Watch this space for more developments!!!!!!!!!

anduna (Down) - Posts: 210 - 02/09/2013 21:33:44    1473618

Link

Farce

Giantlovepump (Down) - Posts: 23 - 02/09/2013 21:50:34    1473642

Link

Disgrace,hang ur heads in shame
everyone should get behind dromara,if any thing bright should be made to play drumaness, r would drumaness not want this????

racing (Down) - Posts: 11 - 03/09/2013 08:43:47    1473668

Link

To quote this anduna boyo, "Drumaness are being penalised for another teams inaction". So what about Dromara? What are they being punished for? For going out and winning a game of football, doing what they had to do, fulfilling their fixture and qualifying for the knockout stage.

Tough luck on Drumaness no doubt about it. Bright being fined £100 is a joke, I'm led to believe at senior level it's 10x that.

But how is it fair on Dromara who've done everything by the book to get to where they are just to be told they must play what in essence is a fixture made out of the absolute incompentency of this joke of a County Board, with it's dinosaurs still holding on to their positions for dear life.

Drumaness are a victim of circumstance, had their game with Bright been drawn to be played in Round 1 we wouldn't be here, but that didn't happen.

the_wanderer (Down) - Posts: 12 - 03/09/2013 09:28:25    1473692

Link

Agree with earlier postings that rules are rules and you can't change or make up new ones half way through because of something that was not planned for. Drumaness need to put it down to hard luck and a flawed system which should be changed next year possibly back to the knock out competition it used to be. To change the 5 point ruling at this stage sets a dangerous precedent for the league which is very close with only one point separating four teams fighting for second and third position. Do we start having play offs for play offs in everything. Its an absolute joke and I can see Dromara refusing to play and would actually encourage them to do so because they did nothing wrong.

Upyourgame (Down) - Posts: 15 - 03/09/2013 09:55:57    1473717

Link

No one should be blaming this on any Club. Its the system and the county board that the blame should lie with. Bright like many clubs in the county can struggle with numbers from time to time and if there was a wedding this obviously would put a strain on numbers. What incentive is there for an amateur player to turn up for a game which they cant progres from when there are other commitments. Football isnt the be all and end all so no one should be forcing teams to play other teams. The group stage has run its course, dry your eyes Drumaness and petition for a change in the system for next year.

Upyourgame (Down) - Posts: 15 - 03/09/2013 10:25:24    1473727

Link

With the wknd oming u, this time last year the JFC was at its semi final stages with games being played. Does the 'playoff' change the date of the set wknd for the JFC final or will the JFC window be extended with playing the final in mid October instead of the start of October

Giantlovepump (Down) - Posts: 23 - 03/09/2013 11:45:35    1473847

Link

Agree with earlier postings that rules are rules and you can't change or make up new ones half way through because of something that was not planned for. Drumaness need to put it down to hard luck and a flawed system which should be changed next year possibly back to the knock out competition it used to be. To change the 5 point ruling at this stage sets a dangerous precedent for the league which is very close with only one point separating four teams fighting for second and third position. Do we start having play offs for play offs in everything. Its an absolute joke and I can see Dromara refusing to play and would actually encourage them to do so because they did nothing wrong.

100% agree with the comments above.. rules are rules..ALL clubs knew what the rules where at the start of the competition - FACT. I am not affiliated with either Dromora or Drumaness (actually, I prefer hurling) but I have taken in a few of the JFC games over the fast few weeks. Anyway, if I was Dromora I would be seriously thinking about appealing the fact they have to play a 'play off' game to determine if they play in the JHC Semi-Final DESPITE the fact they have claimed the best runners-up spot FAIR & SQUARE and are therefore ENTITLED to that semi-final spot on MERIT! It will be interesting to see how this plays out…

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1614 - 03/09/2013 13:22:13    1474013

Link

In the middle of the Championship debacle there is a very significant game being played tonight down in Aghaderg. If Aghaderg beat St Michaels they win the league. This has slipped under most people's radar. Let's wish them well because they have like many other teams endured lean times over the years.

Back to the Championship - is there a solution to all of this mess that has now occurred? Simple answer is NO.

I can see Dromara point blankly refusing to play in this play off fixture. The consequences of not playing is then Dromara are thrown out of the competition. Then if they are thrown out they will most certainly appeal and the appeal will go the whole way to Croker. What did i say about the 2013 Championship final being played in 2014 - now there is a quiz question for the future. The Down County Board have slipped up big time. A total embarrassment.

Dundrum didn't field in the Intermediate Championship against Ballymartin. Nothing is being said about this - this is being kept quiet. Officials within Dundrum need to be cautioned too along with Bright, St Michaels and Ballykinlar. I was party to a conversation that went along the lines of the County Board "approved and condoned" the Dundrum non fielding. Surely not - i must have been hearing things.

An Riocht and Ballyholland were made play last Friday night in similar circumstances when their match was a dead rubber and meaningless BUT THEY FIELDED and played which meant there was no controversy although the match was for all intents and purposes a farce.

anduna (Down) - Posts: 210 - 03/09/2013 13:25:48    1474018

Link

Exactly where on the Down website fixtures, anduna did you see this Dromara v Drumaness fixture. Do you something we don't or have you imagined it ?

allseeingeye (Down) - Posts: 65 - 03/09/2013 13:58:25    1474066

Link

The thing is this, the County Board time and time again show their inadequacy when it comes to Junior Football. Any forward thinking individual would have spotted the potential for this kinda thing to happen A) Before the Champions League style format was ever dreamt up for JFC or B) When the fixture schedule was being made. They've cocked up and now one of its members through no fault of their own are gonna get a raw deal. Both these teams pay their annual membership to the club, and the club pay their annual fee to the county board, the organisation that sets the rules and standards for the county championship. The buck has to stop with them. At this point they should just hold their hands up and admit they got it wrong. If they go ahead with this playoff as another poster pointed out, this sets a precedent for the league, because there have been a good few fixtures unfulfilled this year, not to mention the issue with Mitchels and Ardglass yet to be resolved.

I wonder how much deliberation there was before this decision was made, and how much of an input Dromara had in it. Probably also a good time to point out that the squads and management of these two teams train all year and play for nothing. Those dictating the rules of these games and competitions are being remunerated, in some cases quite handsomely.

It's time this farce was put to bed. Time for the County Board to man up, and DO THE RIGHT THING!!!

the_wanderer (Down) - Posts: 12 - 03/09/2013 14:30:09    1474119

Link

Need to go back to knockout format

beansycpn (Down) - Posts: 128 - 03/09/2013 14:32:35    1474121

Link

By the way, Aghaderg v St Michaels? My money is on the latter not showing up...Aghaderg win the title by default, has to be a play off involved there surely?

the_wanderer (Down) - Posts: 12 - 03/09/2013 14:32:36    1474122

Link

Play-off may not be on the fixture list yet but the other clubs involved in the semi-finals were told yesterday that the semi-final draw would have to wait for the outcome of a Dromara/Drumaness play-off

downredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 556 - 03/09/2013 14:38:11    1474133

Link

Aghaderg can sit back tonight and bask in the glory of winning the league (provided they beat St Michaels) and then watch the whole world of Div 3 falling down behind them.

I forgot about Mitchels and Ardglass. Currently Ardglass have those points with +5 from the match.

Is the following the correct way promotion from Div 3 is to be decided this year? (please correct me if i am mistaken)
Top 2 to be promoted
Third team from Div 3 play the third bottom team from Div 2

Team Pld Won Draw Lost For Against Diff Points
Aghaderg 17 15 1 1 307 147 160 31
Teconnaught 19 14 0 5 314 173 141 28
Mitchels 17 12 0 5 353 150 203 24
Drumaness 17 12 0 5 314 160 154 24
Dromara 17 11 1 5 239 189 50 23
Ardglass 18 10 3 5 210 237 -27 23

With so many team vying for second and third then points differential is going to be a massive factor and if this +5 for a non fielding team raises its head then heaven help us.

anduna (Down) - Posts: 210 - 03/09/2013 14:52:30    1474160

Link

Spot on Anduna. Adding weight to the Dromara argument, if and when it comes.

the_wanderer (Down) - Posts: 12 - 03/09/2013 15:31:19    1474203

Link

Aghaderg cannot secure the league tonight. If they win tonight then they only go 5 points ahead of Teconnaught who have 3 games left(6 points).

Size_5 (Down) - Posts: 7 - 03/09/2013 15:34:32    1474209

Link

After making a, view enquires bright informed both county board and drumaness that they were finding it hard to field on that sunday.they ask both to change to the Friday night put it was turned down by both bright were r willing to play the game.r drumaness holding county board to ranson? talk on the street???????

racing (Down) - Posts: 11 - 03/09/2013 15:39:55    1474214

Link

Yes racing. I have also heard that. Maybe drumaness were afraid they would not be able to put up a good enough score difference to overcome that which Dromara had or could possibly have ended up with from the Ardglass match immediately after the Drumaness game. Therefore it sounds as though they were planning that this would be the outcome. This whole saga is beginning to stink of unfair play between the county board and Drumaness, with Dromara and Bright in the firing line. Sort it out County Board and grow some balls!!!

Upyourgame (Down) - Posts: 15 - 03/09/2013 16:04:20    1474231

Link

Hold on, why would and how could the Co Board let themselves be held to ransom by any club? How can Drumaness have it both ways. Refuse to accept a fixture alteration request then cry foul when another team qualifies for the knockout stages? If that's the case then this thing really does reek of, at the very best, unsportsmanship and opportunism on the part of Drumaness and negligibilty and favouritism on the part of our darling County Board. There is absolutely no way Drumaness should get away with that.

the_wanderer (Down) - Posts: 12 - 03/09/2013 16:25:10    1474256

Link