Down Forum

Div 3 senior football

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I think Teconnaught will win it, think they pack more punch than Aghaderg

EIREANNACH (Down) - Posts: 241 - 21/08/2013 14:25:15    1465109

Link

On the day anyone will win it, but aghaderg haven't been beaten by the teams that are expected to reach the semis this year. Should be good to see who will win it,

Giantlovepump (Down) - Posts: 23 - 21/08/2013 18:47:48    1465339

Link

E what confuses me is how anyone would think there was another way to progress other than beating teams in your group.
With this in mind Mitchells could still progress by beating Teconnaught if Killyleagh beat the Fin. Aghaderg and St Pauls are already through with two from Teconnaught,Mitchells,Fin, Drumaness, Bright, Dromara or Ardglass to join them.

CONFUSEDUS (Down) - Posts: 19 - 22/08/2013 19:18:42    1466045

Link

It is stretching it almost to unbelievable lengths to think that Mitchels will beat Tecconaught by 21 points (this is necessary to turn around a points difference of -8 and +33). The Fin should beat Killyleagh.

Should Mitchels overwhelm Tecconaught by +21 then the Fin can be group winners if they beat Killyleagh by +19. The Fin by +19 is conceivable come to think of it - they did it last year against Killyleagh to see off Bright but Mitchels by +21 against Tecconaught just will not happen. However no matter what happens in the Tecconaught v Mitchels match the Fin should finish on 4 points but the points differential between them and Drumaness and Dromara is just too much for them to overcome so forget about the Fin making 4th. Being runner up in this group is just not good enough. Even if Tecconnaught get beat (and it would need to be a heavy defeat) they will still win the group.

Fourth place is more interesting. Drumaness will beat Bright without doubt - could easily be more than 20 points. However Dromara have a +19 of a start on Drumaness and Dromara should go through if they beat Ardglass although Dromara would need to beat Ardglass by upwards of 6 or 7 points just to make the Drumaness required margin of victory all the harder to achieve. Ardglass haven't a chance because there is no way that they'll beat Dromara by sufficient points difference to overhaul Drumaness - so I think it is safe to rule Ardglass out - they'd need a mathemathical miracle to get 4th as they are only starting on +1 points difference more than Drumaness so even if they beat Dromara they'd need Drumaness to get beat against Bright or for Drumaness to only have a narrow victory over Bright - this is not going to happen. At the start of August Drumaness beat Bright in Bright by 24 points so I cannot see how Bright will turn it around.

Drumaness need Ardglass to win but I can't see Ardglass beating Dromara (even though Ardglass are above Dromara in the league table). Drumaness will give it a good go though - they got the proverbial kick up the backside against St Pauls for them not to slip up again and they will go for the jugular against Bright.

Why can't the county board not time all the matches for the same time? Dromara will know what they need to do before they kick off - hardly fair. Given the above scenario I'm sure there will be a few phone calls being made to the Dromara team before they kick off and there may be a few speed records broken with the Drumaness players trying to get back home after their match. Ironic that the Dromara v Ardglass match is scheduled to be played in Drumaness of all places at 2.30 when Drumaness play at 1pm in Darragh Cross. The Drumaness match will be over before the Dromara one starts.

I think the group winners are fairly certain (Aghaderg, St Pauls and Tecconaught - even if Mitchels beat them) - it is 4th place where the intrigue is. There are only 2 teams who have a realistic chance of coming 4th - Dromara and Drumaness so all the chat here about 4th place being open to lots of teams is simply not right. It is mathematically possible for the others mentioned to qualify as 4th but highly highly improbable.

I reckon 4th place will be Dromara but I would not be surprised if it were Drumaness.

I still do not think Aghaderg will win the Championship. The league is theirs for the taking and it would be a major shock if they lose it.

anduna (Down) - Posts: 210 - 23/08/2013 10:47:56    1466251

Link

AnDuna. Mitchells do not need to beat Teconnaught by a cricket score. They do however need Killyleagh to beat the Fin, I wouldn't write this off completely, a lot depends on Killyleagh's attitude as they can't qualify themselves. Were Killyleagh and Mitchells to win, then Mitchells would qualify ahead of Teconnaught (Both finishing on four points)by virtue of winning the head to head between them. As I understand it points difference only comes into play in the groups where more than two teams finish on the same points.

By the same token Aghaderg and St Pauls are already through as they can only have their points tally equalled by ONE of the teams they have already beaten in the group. The door opens for both Drumaness and Bright if Teconnaught win (as I expect them to)and Dromara and Ardglass draw (a not inconceivable result).

The truth is that whoever gets the fourth spot is relying to some extent on favourable results elsewhere. I do agree that all the games (with the exception of the St Pauls and Aghaderg games which are dead rubbers)should throw in at the same time.

CONFUSEDUS (Down) - Posts: 19 - 23/08/2013 11:29:01    1466288

Link

Are we head to head results when points are the same within a group? It must however be points differenials between groups for the 4th position if teams from different groups end up on say 4 points.
Can this be clarified by anybody else?

anduna (Down) - Posts: 210 - 23/08/2013 14:20:45    1466476

Link

League is nearly over, teconnaght getting beat and aghaderg winning again last night, they've been deserved winners and need a big push to complete the double this year

Giantlovepump (Down) - Posts: 23 - 24/08/2013 12:03:54    1466920

Link

What happens now in Junior Championship?

Bright, St. Michaels, Ballykinlar did not field at 1pm. I hear Killyleagh are not going to field at 3pm.

What way does that leave 4th place.

anduna (Down) - Posts: 210 - 01/09/2013 15:17:57    1472300

Link

Just watched Killyleagh hammer the fin,men against boys,for it being there first year back they are my pick for team of the year

Bendyourback84 (Down) - Posts: 1 - 01/09/2013 17:16:35    1472364

Link

The word in Drumaness today was that Killyleagh weren't fielding. Great to see that they did and by doing so and beating the Fin it has helped the county board out of a three way playoff.

The way it stands now is:
Drumaness 4 points with +18
Dromara 4 point with +33

There has to be a playoff between Drumaness and Dromara as i am sure Drumaness will say that the +5 they get for Bright not fielding is not representative of how much they may have beaten Bright by. Dromara had a 35 point win against Ballykinlar to give them the big points difference and Drumaness were denied that opportunity.

If the Fin had won it would have had to been a 3 way playoff and the Junior Championship would have went on and on.

There will have to be rethink on how the Junior Championship is played. It must go to 4 groups of 3 with the winners into the semis. None of this nonsense of best runner up. There is no other solution.

anduna (Down) - Posts: 210 - 01/09/2013 17:38:03    1472392

Link

Straight knockout like it used to be too obvious a solution?

corrinshego (Armagh) - Posts: 305 - 01/09/2013 20:12:53    1472547

Link

I believe bright asked both county board and drumaness to change the game due to a player getting married on sunday in Portugal. bright is still willing to play the match

racing (Down) - Posts: 11 - 02/09/2013 09:18:23    1472727

Link

killyleagh certainly have done well in their first season back but team of the year is stretching it a bit lol.

I do think drumaness are entitled to a play off with dromara to settle the best runner up spot but unfortunately its not in the pre-set JFC rules. That's just the way it goes sometimes. not fair on drumaness but that's the luck of the draw.

there should be 4 groups of three and top team into semis. best runner up is a minefield.

EIREANNACH (Down) - Posts: 241 - 02/09/2013 11:54:49    1472935

Link

Bad luck to Drumaness! It just shows how important winning all the games in the table is, the best runner up idea was always going to be complicated!
When are the draws made for the next round?

blackspot15 (Down) - Posts: 18 - 02/09/2013 13:19:16    1473049

Link

If Drumaness are not afforded a playoff it is absolutely scandalous. There were well within their rights to ask for the Bright game to be played as arranged. A wedding in wherever is not an acceptable excuse for seeking to postpone a match - there are clearly laid down reasons for a match cancellation and a wedding is not one as far as i know. It has crept into the game of late but it is not within the GAA rule book.

Drumaness against Bright cannot be the solution as Bright have taken the decision not to play and have forfeited the match which triggers the +5 points differential (on which all of this hinges)and therefore they have taken themselves totally out of the solution. It would be equally scandalous to force Drumaness to play Bright as it may be a different Bright team (more than likely a stronger one than the one which Drumaness would have faced yesterday).

If Dromara had a similar +5 due to a non fielding team then all is fair but this is not the case.

Bad luck on Drumaness being drawn in a group with a team that doesn't fulfill its fixtures is a ridiculous logic in allowing Dromara through in 4th place.

The only solution that brings this sorry state of affairs to a satisfactory conclusion is a playoff between Dromara and Drumaness.

The County Board must come down on non fielding teams like a ton of bricks and send out a clear message that such behaviour is not going to be tolerated in future. I hear that the fine is a paltry £100. A generous benefactor could clear that in a blink of an eye - £100 is no deterrent.

Dromara i can assure you will be keeping their head low as they have not broken any rule. I can see Drumaness trying to bar the playing of any Dromara semi-final.

The draw was to take place tonight. Can it even go ahead? I heard that you cannot be drawn against a team from your own group. If that is right then Dromara can't be paired with Aghaderg? If Drumaness (eventually) gets through then they can't drawn against St Pauls?

If the draw does take place tonight then the perfect scenario is Aghaderg v St Pauls and Dromara / Drumaness v Teconnaught.

Whats the odds the draw turns out like this tonight if it takes place. I'd have a few bob on it if someone would give me fair price.

anduna (Down) - Posts: 210 - 02/09/2013 14:33:37    1473150

Link

If a team does not field then the opposition are awarded a win and +5.. ALL TEAMS WERE/ARE AWARE OF THIS BEFORE THE COMPETITION STARTED.
I totally agree that this simply does not work and would love to see a solution in place that is more 'fair'...Ideas??

THEMOLE2 (Down) - Posts: 1614 - 02/09/2013 14:46:05    1473164

Link

andunathe format has been set for the clubs,dromara go through as best runner up,are drumaness afraid to play a full bright team

racing (Down) - Posts: 11 - 02/09/2013 15:42:00    1473248

Link

Who drew up the +5 rule? Why is is not +20 or some other imaginary figure.The rule is clearly deficient and prehistoric. Most games in such circumstances would have a massively more than +5 end points winning margin. Bright were going to be understrength for all intents and purposes and therefore in no fit shape to do a Killyleagh on the Fin. A massive massive credit to all concerned with the Killyleagh club - they entered yesterdays match in the true spirit of the game - Killyleagh had no chance of qualifying but played the game as if they had - I would call for them to be awarded the sporting team of the year if there were such an award.

Drumaness are being penalised for another teams inaction, beit genuine or otherwise. There is no equity or fairness being spoken about here. It seems that many are willing to sweep this injustice under the carpet. I can see lawyers etc on the job. If i was the Drumaness committee i'd not rest until all avenues of appeal and further appeal are exhausted.

The 2013 Junior Championship may well end up being finished in 2014.

anduna (Down) - Posts: 210 - 02/09/2013 16:06:22    1473286

Link

anduna by the sounds of things you are a Drumaness committee member or supporter! Playoff rules cant simply be made up during the championship season!

blackspot15 (Down) - Posts: 18 - 02/09/2013 21:01:44    1473567

Link

Doesn't matter who is making up the rules but semi final draw postponed from tonight to wait for the play-off which is going ahead

downredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 556 - 02/09/2013 21:33:29    1473617

Link